PDA

View Full Version : How does the Fischer M Pro Number One 98 Racquet SL play?

centercourt8
04-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Been trying to do searches on the Fischer M Pro Number One 98 SL (the new version, yellow and green) but havent come up with much, found a ton of stuff for the mspeed but not too much for this one, for those of you who have tried it or are currently using it, what are its pros and cons?

A little about me, i am a relatively flat baseline player who sometimes like to use a good amount of spin to throw off my opponent, 1hbh, and mostly use a flat and slice serve.

Also is it true that they are discontinuing this racquet?

Thanks!! :)

crazyups
04-01-2008, 12:44 PM
It's got a flexible throat and pretty firm hoop, so to me feels soft but crisp and solid(great feeling). Swings light and has a good pop sound. I have it at 12.1 ounces with some lead in the hoop and poly and feels just right. Good on slice serves and okay on flat serves. Good control but I will try a more powerful string than sppp. Best racquet for me so far. Also look at the review.

crazyups
04-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Mpro#1 has good directional control on flat serves but I said it's okay because I need a way to find more power on them after comparing it to becker11 standard which swung too heavy for me on serves and was a bit too tiring towards the end of a long match.

Chicken Neck
04-01-2008, 01:30 PM
I found the racquet to be so muted in response as to give almost no feedback at all. For comparison purposes I would ask if you have ever hit with a Dunlop AG300 or AG500 ? If you have I would say the feel of the racquet is very much the opposite.

crazyups
04-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Haven't hit with the aerogels. I've used donnay pro1 midplus, becker11 S, dnx10 midplus, 03white, maxply mcenroe. Donnay was most muted. Seems like feedback is subjective as I didn't feel lack of it with mpro.

Chicken Neck
04-01-2008, 02:59 PM
You are, of course, absolutely correct in your statement that feedback is subjective. I think that I simply prefer the crisp feel of a Dunlop or a Head racquet as opposed to what people call the "buttery" feel of a Fischer or many of the Volkls. You stated in your post that you were looking for a bit more pop in a stick, so I think you would be well served by the AG300. I use the 500 Tour but you may find it to have a bit too much pop. Good hunting!

crazyups
04-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I think I can get the power I need with a different string setup and the aerogel 300 is only about 11 ounces strung. I actually don't like too "buttery" a feeling and lead in the head reduces that for me.

0d1n
04-02-2008, 12:11 AM
I found the racquet to be so muted in response as to give almost no feedback at all. For comparison purposes I would ask if you have ever hit with a Dunlop AG300 or AG500 ? If you have I would say the feel of the racquet is very much the opposite.

I disagree with the muted statement. I think the racket has a firm hoop, and has a nice crisp feel even though you can feel the flex in the throat (it's nice and crisp even with a basic synthetic like Gosen og micro).
Also, I found that racket to give me just the "right kind" of feedback, meaning I can "feel and control" the ball perfectly for touch shots, but it's doesn't vibrate too much or is too harsh when hitting bombs.
If control/feel is what you are looking for and you like flexible rackets, there is no better racket on the market IMO. If you're looking for help from the racket in the power department...look elsewhere (Wilson...Babolat ...).

astra
04-02-2008, 03:49 AM
I found the racquet to be so muted in response as to give almost no feedback at all.
I do not think so. It also depends on your string type and setup. I use syn gut for 2 years and when tested the Mspeed Pro no. 1 SL strung with poly approx. 1 year ago , I also thought it had no feel and was muted. But when tested with syn gut, what I am used to, that the racquet has a great feel and feedback.

Djokovicfan4life
04-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Although the racquet is low-powered, I found that it provided plenty of pop from the increased racquet speed. Something about the weight just allows me to swing faster. :confused:

The sweet spot is rather small, but it shouldn't be a problem for a skilled player. Definitely worth a demo, been using this racquet for a couple months with great results.

Chicken Neck
04-02-2008, 05:09 PM
If you guys who feel that the M Pro is "crisp" were to try the AG300-500 or the MG Prestige Pro I think that you would find that the Fischer is indeed, by comparison, quite muted in terms of feel. This muted, "buttery" response has long been one of the trademark characteristics of Fischer racquets.

centercourt8
04-02-2008, 10:02 PM
The sweet spot is rather small, but it shouldn't be a problem for a skilled player. Definitely worth a demo, been using this racquet for a couple months with great results.

Wow, im totally surprised by this commment, i was under the impression that this was a pretty forgiving frame and would have atleast a decent sized sweet spot, could you please elaborate on this. Is the sweet spot more like a 95 or even a 93??

0d1n
04-02-2008, 11:56 PM
If you guys who feel that the M Pro is "crisp" were to try the AG300-500 or the MG Prestige Pro I think that you would find that the Fischer is indeed, by comparison, quite muted in terms of feel. This muted, "buttery" response has long been one of the trademark characteristics of Fischer racquets.

I did play the AG 300, and find the feedback/feel of the Fischer way better. "Buttery" and "muted" are two very different things in my book. (Anyway ... this is why I usually don't like to comment about "feel" because it's hard to quantify and will be different for everybody)

Wow, im totally surprised by this commment, i was under the impression that this was a pretty forgiving frame and would have atleast a decent sized sweet spot, could you please elaborate on this. Is the sweet spot more like a 95 or even a 93??

My experience is different, I thought the Mspeed was quite forgiving...with a decent sized sweet spot. Certainly bigger than the older (black/red/white and black/red) Pro 1's, or any Wilson/Dunlop 95's I ever tried.
IMO the Fischer needs to be strung on the lowish side...anybody that strings it @ 27 kg's and over is missing on some sweet stuff...because ALL the Fischer frames I've tried play better @ mid or lower tension.
I never felt the need to go over 26 kg's with any multi's (usually stringing it @ 25 with PSGM or Kennex IQ Elite). When stringing poly/poly hybrid I was going lower...probably somewhere between 23-25 kg's depending on the string or hybrid.
All Fischer frames I've tried can feel "boardy" if strung too tightly (regardless of string ... but especially with poly).

Djokovicfan4life
04-03-2008, 04:56 AM

I have no problems finding it now, it just took a couple weeks to get used to it.