PDA

View Full Version : Official Backhand VIDEO thread!!

mmeyer1
04-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey guys
I know a lot of people on this board are constantly looking for backhand advice, be it 1h or 2h, and I thought that I would make a thread where all backhands can be showcased and compared. Feel free to post videos of your backhand here instead of making new threads, and we can all look here to improve our own and help each other out with theirs.

I will start it off with one video of me hitting with a friend:

http://www.vimeo.com/846807

I know it isn't ALL backhands, but it's a start!

Enjoy and post everything backhand , 1h or 2h, all are welcome!

mmeyer1
04-01-2008, 05:50 PM
lol dont be shy guys, post away

boojay
04-01-2008, 06:06 PM
You guys are so skinny!!!

[K]aotic
04-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey guys
I know a lot of people on this board are constantly looking for backhand advice, be it 1h or 2h, and I thought that I would make a thread where all backhands can be showcased and compared. Feel free to post videos of your backhand here instead of making new threads, and we can all look here to improve our own and help each other out with theirs.

i know you're not asking for help, but the way the ball is traveling, it looks like you are hitting the ball with not that much spin, resulting in a low percentage shot. Try strikinig the ball as your racket is going up and see how much mroe spin you can get.

Bungalo Bill
04-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey guys

LOL, was there something wrong with the gravitational pull on the earth in your parts? Lunging, lunging, lunging.

Tennis_Monk
04-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Good video quality. What equipment did you use?

kirschbomb
04-01-2008, 08:20 PM
UCLA much?

NLBwell
04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Must be hard to play on such a steep hill.

Couldn't watch the video, it was freaking me out, man!

mmeyer1
04-01-2008, 11:29 PM
haha say what you will about the lunges, but I got some strong *** legs!
The camera used was a panasonic pv-gs180
About the camera angle, I don't have a tripod so I tried to balance it on top of my tennis bag which laid atop my backpack.

But enough about my obviously flawed technique, post some videos of your backhands so people can compare the strokes of others on this board.
I meant for this thread to be a reference for anyone to just see how people hit backhands instead of having like millions of threads on how to hit certain backhands, etc.

Ryoma
04-02-2008, 12:05 AM
How long did you practise on hitting the net cord?

Fedace
04-02-2008, 12:16 AM
backhand slice could use some work....racket face is too open on contact so no pace and nerf ball floater comes off the racket. watch Rosewall hitting his slice backhands, and see how square his racket face is on contact. drive thru the ball like any other backhand.

mmeyer1
04-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm just trying to work on getting let-cord winners, I'm just not getting the shots quite high enough yet...

And always remember to check your spelling before poking fun at people, you might end up looking foolish!
:]

Fedace
04-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Letcord Winners ??? Now there is a shot that all pros practice. I heard Roger practices that shot at least 2 hours a day...

mmeyer1
04-02-2008, 12:33 AM
haha it was a joke, its just hard to convey sarcasm when typing. I usually hit with way too much spin in general and I have been trying to flatten out my shots more to improve my offensive game, and I haven't found the happy medium between too flat and too much spin and thus the net cord feels the pain of my inadequacy. :[

aimr75
04-02-2008, 12:41 AM
The camera used was a panasonic pv-gs180

nice one, i just bought a panasonic nv-gs330, battery is charging for the first time as im typing! looking forward to trying it out...
________
Kdx220a (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_KDX220A)

04-02-2008, 02:40 AM
LOL mmeyer1 this thread has kind of backfired and now every1 is taking the pi$$ out of your technique:(

mmeyer1
04-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Indeed...

Now no one will be brave enough to post a vid in here after I got my *** handed to me, well crap I tried...
oh well

boojay
04-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I don't think it's a matter of bravery. We already have a huge one-handed backhand thread and while it's tedious to surf through, I'm sure there are plenty of videos posted in there (mine included). If you're willing to do the work, you can probably find all those vids and link to them in your first post of this thread. That might jumpstart and give life to your thread if people can find the vids in a single post. Just an idea.

mmeyer1
04-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah I just don't want to take other people's videos without their permission, and I have seen your video Boojay and maybe you could post it. I'm sure there are new members joining all the time who haven't seen it and might really appreciate it.

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 02:46 PM
haha say what you will about the lunges, but I got some strong *** legs!

Say what I will? Are you looking for a critique or are you trying to be a smart*****.

Your movement was terrible. You lunged for balls you shouldn't have lunged for which means you aren't moving your feet.

So who cares how strong your little legs are, if they aren't moving, you aren't getting in position. PERIOD.

Wake up.

BravoRed691
04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Well im no gem or diamond in the rough...or even boojay but feel free to use mine...then again you're prob looking to find those better than yours but at least it's something to compare yours to...

Br

mmeyer1
04-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Say what I will? Are you looking for a critique or are you trying to be a smart*****.

Your movement was terrible. You lunged for balls you shouldn't have lunged for which means you aren't moving your feet.

So who cares how strong your little legs are, if they aren't moving, you aren't getting in position. PERIOD.

Wake up.

Well Bill I guess you did miss the sarcasm intended there. It was a joke on how my footwork is so bad that I have built strong legs from lunging after so many backhands, but its cool to hate on me I forgive you.

I think its pretty obvious that I wouldn't be bragging about my skinny legs on this forum.

And btw, when are you going to post a video of yourself? I'm not having a go at you, but I was just curious on how you can bash on me when you have no video of yourself to point me in the right direction. I think you would benefit from giving constructive criticism to people instead of insults.
For example, you said:

LOL, was there something wrong with the gravitational pull on the earth in your parts? Lunging, lunging, lunging.

Now to a more sensitive individual, this could be seen as an attack, completely negative and not as useful to the person as you may think it is. You decided to make fun of me and imply that only an increased gravitational pull could be the reason for my poor footwork. This would be just fine to poke fun like this, but then you simply ended the statement, not giving any sort of advice. And since you blatantly threw this sarcastic remark at me, by your logic wouldn't you also be a "smart*****"?

But you know what, I like you Bill, so I'm gonna help ya out...

Here is what you should have said:

"mmeyer1, I notice you lunge for balls a lot on your backhand side. This is most likely due to a lack of foot movement. Try moving your feet and getting set for the shot instead of reaching and lunging for it."

Ahh... That's better! This response is helpful and completely neutral, so you can still keep your image intact of being a stern individual who tells it like it is, but still help people in the process.

But on the real, take it easy man its just a forum, and you know what I look like, so you can gauge whether or not you need to feel threatened by my dull wit and lame jokes directed at you. And hell, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are much older, wiser and better than me at playing tennis, so I don't mind criticisms of my strokes and techniques, but go about it the right way and have a great day! :D

mmeyer1
04-02-2008, 05:36 PM
And BR, thanks for the offer, but I honestly knew after reading the first few posts that the thread was beyond dead. I was just going to let it decompose naturally, but you know I gotta defend myself at least a little bit and not exit with my tail between my legs.

In retrospect this thread never really had anything going for it and I probably never should have made it and most likely never will again. Thanks for the bump though, haha.

boojay
04-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I disagree, I think this thread is a great idea, but you should've done your homework first, that's all. If assembled properly, I bet you an "Official Forehand Video Thread", "Overhead", "Serve", etc., will pop up one right after the other. That said, I still think you can revive it, if you really wanted to.

As for permission to link to videos, what can I possibly do to you if you post my youtube video? 99% of all YT vids are for public viewing anyway, they're "meant" to be shared with others.

My two cents on the matter.

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Well Bill I guess you did miss the sarcasm intended there. It was a joke on how my footwork is so bad that I have built strong legs from lunging after so many backhands, but its cool to hate on me I forgive you.

Get real. A joke? Bad joke. Dont try to be a comedian.

And btw, when are you going to post a video of yourself? I'm not having a go at you, but I was just curious on how you can bash on me when you have no video of yourself to point me in the right direction. I think you would benefit from giving constructive criticism to people instead of insults.

Bash on you? Telling you are lunging is bashing on you? Then you act like a smart***** and give me a weak excuse that your were "joking"?

Give me a break!

You posted the video and I provided my comment. You lunge for balls a lot and dont move your feet. Please dont tell me about your "strong" legs. I could give a darn if you aren't moving your feet. You camp at the baseline and that is that.

Now to a more sensitive individual, this could be seen as an attack, completely negative and not as useful to the person as you may think it is.

Well Mr. Sensitive you can take it any way you like it. You are lunging. YOU DONT MOVE YOUR FEET. ANYTHING ELSE?

You decided to make fun of me and imply that only an increased gravitational pull could be the reason for my poor footwork.

Nooooooooo, the gravitational pull comment was about how you positioned the darn camera. If you want people to critque you at least give them the courtesy and film your stroke right.

This would be just fine to poke fun like this, but then you simply ended the statement, not giving any sort of advice. And since you blatantly threw this sarcastic remark at me, by your logic wouldn't you also be a "smart*****"?

Again, you got it wrong. I repeat, move your darn feet. Better? Is that nicer for you? I won't say lunging, lunging, lunging anymore as I know now it breaks your little heart.

But you know what, I like you Bill, so I'm gonna help ya out...

Here is what you should have said:

"mmeyer1, I notice you lunge for balls a lot on your backhand side. This is most likely due to a lack of foot movement. Try moving your feet and getting set for the shot instead of reaching and lunging for it."

No, I wouldn't say or do that. I would walk on the court and say you are lunging, lunging, lunging. Then I would set the cart aside and run your butt off. You would perform squat related drills until your legs were burning, then I would make you hit 20 balls each being fed to you in a crosscourt pattern. You would run and run and run. Everytime time you lunged for a ball, I would add another 5 balls to the drill. Believe me, over time, you will never lunge again.

Ahh... That's better! This response is helpful and completely neutral, so you can still keep your image intact of being a stern individual who tells it like it is, but still help people in the process.

You lunge. Period. You dont move your feet. Period. You're in love with the baseline. Period. It is your security blanket. Period.

But on the real, take it easy man its just a forum, and you know what I look like, so you can gauge whether or not you need to feel threatened by my dull wit and lame jokes directed at you. And hell, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are much older, wiser and better than me at playing tennis, so I don't mind criticisms of my strokes and techniques, but go about it the right way and have a great day! :D

Quit crying.

mmeyer1
04-02-2008, 08:02 PM
You are right Mr Bill, I love you sweetheart when you talk to me dirty like that, lets not lie any longer Bungalo William. We must let the TW staff know of our relationship and your fetish for my legs. It just hurts to keep it inside any longer!

queef...

FedererISBetter
04-02-2008, 08:10 PM
<--- need a nice camcorder... any recommendations for JUST tennis because I doubt I will use it for anything else. I am in college and cannot afford the top lines.

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 08:22 PM
it is 10 characters and no less.

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 08:23 PM
You are right Mr Bill, I love you sweetheart when you talk to me dirty like that, lets not lie any longer Bungalo William. We must let the TW staff know of our relationship and your fetish for my legs. It just hurts to keep it inside any longer!

queef...

I think you ought to speak for yourself. Now that we know your true colors, I now know why you lunge over.

mmeyer1
04-02-2008, 08:24 PM
not now billy I'm tired...
But if you do that thing for me I like I'll come over again. And no matter how much you beg I'm NOT bringing the strap-ons again, I'm afraid I might impale you cutie. :]

aimr75
04-02-2008, 08:24 PM
<--- need a nice camcorder... any recommendations for JUST tennis because I doubt I will use it for anything else. I am in college and cannot afford the top lines.

get something that can capture slow motion well if you want to view your strokes frame by frame.. a higher shutter speed helps here. The one i just bought goes up to 1/8000. I've tested at 1/2000 and even that makes a big difference, the racket is not a blur when slowing down

i got a pana nv-gs330
________
Vaporizer Answer (http://vaporizer.org/forum/vaporizer-questions/)

mmeyer1
04-02-2008, 08:29 PM
All the videos I have posted have been on a panasonic pv gs180. I had a couple of really HQ movies on my comp from it in AVI format but they are way too big to post. Its very compact too which is a plus.