PDA

View Full Version : Balance

toughshot
04-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Question about racket balance and feel

I own a few FXP Radicals and FXP Prestiges

I only noticed it today after i picked up my radicals after retiring them, but they feel heavier than the prestiges when moving them. I know this is because they are only 2 points headlight (11.3 oz playing weight), and the prestiges are much more headlight , but heavier at 12.5 oz (playing weight).

My question is, even though the prestige FEELS more maneuverable, is it really?

Another question about Stability.

Since the prestige is heavier, but more headlight, couldn't there be the same amount of weight in the head of the rackuet, and wouldn't it be the same stability as a more head heavy racket?

So when people talk about how some "heavier" rackets have more "plow through" effect, it could in reality have the same weight in the head as a racket deemed "light and pushed around".

Say, a prestige as compared to a wilson hammer.

Thanks for your answers.

Bottle Rocket
04-01-2008, 06:00 PM
My response is in bold...

I only noticed it today after i picked up my radicals after retiring them, but they feel heavier than the prestiges when moving them. I know this is because they are only 2 points headlight (11.3 oz playing weight), and the prestiges are much more headlight , but heavier at 12.5 oz (playing weight).

If it feels manueverable, it is. The way it feels... Isn't that all there is? That is all that matters. Manueverabilty doesn't determine anything about the playing characteristics of the frame, only your ability to get the most out of it. If it feels more manueverable, it is. Manueverability is a side effect of other specifications, which do determine how a racket plays.

Since the prestige is heavier, but more headlight, couldn't there be the same amount of weight in the head of the rackuet, and wouldn't it be the same stability as a more head heavy racket?

I don't really understand this... Can you ask again? Same amount of weight in the head as what? Your Radical?

Stability comes from weight distrubition, swingweight, material properties, and construction. I am just not sure specifically what you're asking. At the end of the day though, the stability issue is also all about your own perceptions and preferences.

So when people talk about how some "heavier" rackets have more "plow through" effect, it could in reality have the same weight in the head as a racket deemed "light and pushed around".

Swingweight is key, with other less important factors contributing.

Thanks for your answers.

If you can elaborate more on your questions, we can get you some better answers.

Bud
04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Question about racket balance and feel

I own a few FXP Radicals and FXP Prestiges

Another question about Stability.

Thanks for your answers.

I think much of the feel and maneuverability depends on the swingweight. The most maneuverable racquet with the most 'plow-through' will be a racquet that exhibits a heavy static weight and light swingweight (Donnay Pro One OS).

toughshot
04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
So, a light static weight head heavy racquet and a heavy static weight head light racquet, you could theoretically swing the same speed, with the same effect on the ball.

Bottle Rocket
04-01-2008, 06:47 PM
So, a light static weight head heavy racquet and a heavy static weight head light racquet, you could theoretically swing the same speed, with the same effect on the ball.

If the swingweight is the same and the racket is constructed and strung identically, the results is going to be VERY similar.

The bigger difference is your own preferences and needs.