PDA

View Full Version : 1HB Help Please

Shadowflare
04-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I realize that there's been many posts regarding the 1 handed backhand but i still can't get it just right. When i chase the ball and run up to it...i can do a pretty good backhand with decent pace and direction, but when I'm waiting for the ball to drop, i usually mess it up. My coach says that its my need to step into the shot, but I'm not quite sure how to...whether to use which foot to step in or if theres another thing i'm missing

BallBeemer
04-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Well, if you did post a video it would be more helpful in identifying your problem but when you hit your back hand don't look exactly at a wall. Meaning don't have both feet facing the same direction. It closes your body so if you have to reajust your self it would be more difficult. Remember always swing earlier if you don't have good timing. Prevents from getting tennis elbow while swinging late.

Bungalo Bill
04-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I realize that there's been many posts regarding the 1 handed backhand but i still can't get it just right. When i chase the ball and run up to it...i can do a pretty good backhand with decent pace and direction, but when I'm waiting for the ball to drop, i usually mess it up. My coach says that its my need to step into the shot, but I'm not quite sure how to...whether to use which foot to step in or if theres another thing i'm missing

Well if you are righthanded you are stepping into the shot with your right foot on the backhand.

I am not sure if you mean a ball that is hit toward you or something else. So I will answer this based on if you mean a ball coming toward you.

There are a couple ways to hit the ball that is coming toward you.

1. You can switch your feet in time while remaining in the same area and step into the shot.

2. You can switch your feet and put your weight over your front foot a little and have this be your step out. This is similar to a onehander stepping into the shot with his right foot and moving his weight over their front foot. This move is a short-cut and gets you to handle a ball hit directly which can come at you quickly.

Take a look and study how the feet are shifting and where James places his weight. He is using one move for his balance, positioning, step-out, etc. - very efficient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTyyITw-fyo

Either way, you should use the shifting of the feet for balls hit towards you.