PDA

View Full Version : MagaAge 2 Racquet/Customization

normrose
01-04-2005, 09:48 PM
I am currently using a MegaAge 2 frame and would be interested to hear from a user what string set-up and any customization they are using.

Although the specs are similar to the PS Classic 6.1 the MagaAge composition is mainly graphite whereas the PS Classic 6.1 is a combination of graphite and Kevlar that appears to give it more pop.

I am looking for a set-up which will give me more pop.

I am a 4.0 standard using Bow Brand natural gut 17g in the mains and Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17g in the crosses both at 50 lbs.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

mctennis
01-05-2005, 07:47 AM
These racquets are junk and are not worth the small amount you pay for them. I bought one and used it for about 10 minutes. It hurt my arm so badly I had to not play for about a month. I'd never had arm problems up to that point. I even switched strings before using it. I'll never use one again.Save your arm buy something else... IMHO.

matchpoints
01-05-2005, 12:27 PM
hope you didn't use factory strings. they're pretty good sticks especially for the money. no idea why you would have any arm problems.

normrose
01-05-2005, 02:57 PM
mctennis - like matchpoints, I have found the racquet to be fine all I wish to do is increase the power a tad I've certainly had no arm problems.

Matcpoints - have you added any lead to the frame and if so whereabouts and what ws the effect - I am interested. Thanks......Norm

Povl Carstensen
01-06-2005, 03:46 AM
The M2 is light AND extremely headlight, so it needs weight in the head (3/9?) and perhaps also in the throat area.

normrose
01-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Thanks Povl - I will look into that suggestion

matchpoints
01-11-2005, 09:38 PM
mctennis~ What level are ya? and what kind of grip do you have?

normrose~ Little lead on 3 and 9....I think it was about 4 inches long single 1/4" strips. That's about 4 grams. It was pretty stable and enough heft to drive through a ball. I didn't have to swing very hard, just let the racquet do the work.

I bought a bunch of them including some M1's. I think I have like 3 M1's left if anyone is interested. A couple might be brand new still. The m1's are heavier and feel more solid overall. I didn't try any lead since on that since I'm not very strong. One of my friends did and he liked it quite a bit. I sold the M2's a couple months back since I switched to Bab Pure Drives. I didn't want to switch but with my wristy forehands, I was hitting heavy but short balls. This resulted in long rallies and good players would come in behind them. My tournament results sucked.

With the PD my shots without changing technique are going longer. It was easier then trying to modify an old dog's trick so to speak. I miss the touch of the Mega's dearly. Before the mega's I had Wilson 6.1 Classics for the longest time. They play very similar and much better cost ;)

The PD's are giving me arm problems if anything. Gonna add more lead to see if that helps.

Btw, I'm kinda surprised you want more pop. You're already using Natural Gut plus at such a low tension. That's a lot of power there already. Regardless, try adding 4 inch strips of tape and see if that helps. I had tried lead at the throat but didn't like it much. It felt more solid when hit dead center of sweet spot but other then that, iit was very unstable when hit even just a bit off center.

!<-_->!
01-11-2005, 11:11 PM
matchpoints, how much for a pair of M1s?

baey
01-12-2005, 12:09 AM
With about 20 g lead at 3&9, a leather grip, and good strings the M2 is quite OK, good control and spin, adequate , controllable power (with BB Ace 18 string). However, I would not buy them for the 129 euro asking price today - I got mine for US$29.95, whem MegaAge still was a low-price outfit. (I pay more for new strings now....)

mctennis
01-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Matchpoint,
I'm a 4.0 now. I was a 4.5 at the time I played with the MegaAge 2 a few years back. I hadn't played in so long I am back down to a 4.0. I shouldn't have stopped playing I guess. I did change the strings even before I played with the The MegaAge 2. I had read enough about the racquet to know the factory strings were horrible. I figured it would be a great racquet, NOT !!

matchpoints
01-14-2005, 10:45 AM
matchpoints, how much for a pair of M1s?

$100 shipped.

my e-mail is my user name at yahoo.com