PDA

View Full Version : 2hb right hand or left hand dominant, new evidence

BeHappy
04-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Thought this was very interesting.

Agassi, as we all know, stated that his two hander is basically a one hander with the left hand along for the ride.

Check out this incredible attempted running backhand pass at 1min 29seconds in :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OoGvfmbrxgg&fmt=18

Now check out the the slo mo replay at 1min 50seconds in, notice anything?

;)

Mansewerz
04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Was that an Agassi OHBH???

quicken
04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Was that an Agassi OHBH???

Oh yea, it was.

Wow I'm amazed!

Rickson
04-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Andre looked ****ed!

BeHappy
04-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention, I'll give it one bump and then you can let it die if you want.

Essential Tennis
04-02-2008, 05:14 PM
haha, wow what an incredible clip. Agassi's face is PRICELESS after that shot, and what crazy athleticism by Pete.

As for your statement about the backhand. During last years US Open Agassi was guest commentating during a Roddick match and offered up his opinion on the two handed backhand. He talked about it for about 5 minutes and what he said I found very interesting.

He said that his dominant side did all of the work of the swing up until right before contact, building up racket head speed. Then he said immediately before contact he took that swing speed and further accelerated it using his left side to transfer through contact. So there was an exchange of efforts, his right side accelerated towards the ball, and then there was a snap through the ball using his left side.

I found this very interesting being a teaching professional. Generally I teach people learning the two hander from scratch that the non dominant side should do most of the work. Since then I've paid close attention to high level two handers and I believe Andre was spot on. This principle is also used in a high level golf swing, using the angle between the club shaft and dominant arm to build "tension", and then right before contact "release"ing the tension quickly into the ball using the non dominant hand.

This same relationship between the right and left side is used in every advanced level two handed sports swing where acceleration is necessary.

BeHappy
04-02-2008, 05:18 PM
yeah, what I~ actually found interesting was that agassi hit that shot onehanded from start to finsih and that it had the same swingpath, pace and topspin as his normal two hander, suggesting that his left hand might literally have just been there along for the ride.

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Agassi, as we all know, stated that his two hander is basically a one hander with the left hand along for the ride.

Nice clip but it proves nothing. You are also distorting what Agassi meant and actually does on his twohanded backhand.

Agassi for years practiced hitting lefthanded forehands. If he meant what you said, then what is the purpose of practicing so much to get his lefthand coordinated. Was it Nick's tennis academy that slaved him into doing so against his will? Hardly.

Agassi uses his bottomhand to bring the racquet forward but clearly uses his tophand to push the racquet through which is so evident on film after film of him hitting a twohander.

Agassi uses his tophand in an active way and it is not "just going along for the ride".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf5q9zaUB70

So here you go. All the slice backhands means his tophand is going along for the ride and he is a really a closet onehander in men's clothes. Makes about as much sense as a beeeeeeep.

Further, many pros can hit either stroke on the backhand. They do goof around you know. I can even hit both a onehander and a twohander. I can even slice the ball. How about that? lol

Wow, another deceiving post.

BeHappy
04-02-2008, 07:17 PM
hold on a minute BB

I just thought it was interesting and worthy of discussion in light of what he said when commnetating on the roddick match.He did say that the right hand was the dominant hand on his backhand, in this clip he took off the left hand to no negative effect.

I think, (same as you probably), that some people power and guide the shot with both hands, others with the non dominant hand, still others with the dominant hand.I think this does show that agassi really does power and guide his backhand with his dominant hand, Marat safin, with a similarly god like backhand almost definitely does the opposite.

Just out of interest, and I'm not disputing this with you, how do you know that agassi practiced lefty forehands for hours on end?

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 07:26 PM
hold on a minute BB

I just thought it was interesting and worthy of discussion in light of what he said when commnetating on the roddick match.He did say that the right hand was the dominant hand on his backhand, in this clip he took off the left hand to no negative effect.

It is interesting. I think you should reread your "post" because that not only is interesting but also misleading which is were we will always differ. Another poster also made a comment regarding how Agassi really hits a backhand. I think you ought to reread and ask yourself, "could someone misinterpret what I am saying?"

BeHappy
04-02-2008, 07:31 PM
It is interesting. I think you should reread your "post" because that not only is interesting but also misleading which is were we will always differ. Another poster also made a comment regarding how Agassi really hits a backhand. I think you ought to reread and ask yourself, "could someone misinterpret what I am saying?"

fair enough, did you think I was saying the one handed backhand is somehow superior or something?

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 07:35 PM
fair enough, did you think I was saying the one handed backhand is somehow superior or something?

No, I didnt read that at all. By the way your post read, it seemed you implied that the twohander should be hit with the bottomhand and that Agassi hitting a onehander is proof that he uses his bottomhand dominately in the stroke.

This is what I read especially when you talked about "the tophand going for the ride".

BeHappy
04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
No, I didnt read that at all. By the way your post read, it seemed you implied that the twohander should be hit with the bottomhand and that Agassi hitting a onehander is proof that he uses his bottomhand dominately in the stroke.

This is what I read especially when you talked about "the tophand going for the ride".

Well I defintely didn't mean to imply that you should hit your 2hbh with the non dominant hand, (then again I'm not saying you shouldn't either), I'm just saying that it appears that this is another way to successfully teach and hit a 2hbh, and the non dominant hand dominating, which is how 99% of people coach the shot, isn't the only way.And if this is the case, there may be ramifications for the coaching of the shot, for example a person with better coordination in their dominant arm might benefit from hitting their two hander that way, and for a person with better coordination and strength in their non dominant arm the opposite would be true etc, and maybe a person who has been struggling with the two hander might benefit from this new coaching perspective.

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Well I defintely didn't mean to imply that you should hit your 2hbh with the non dominant hand, (then again I'm not saying you shouldn't either), I'm just saying that it appears that this is another way to successfully teach and hit a 2hbh, and the non dominant hand dominating, which is how 99% of people coach the shot, isn't the only way.And if this is the case, there may be ramifications for the coaching of the shot, for example a person with better coordination in their dominant arm might benefit from hitting their two hander that way, and for a person with better coordination and strength in their non dominant arm the opposite would be true etc, and maybe a person who has been struggling with the two hander might benefit from this new coaching perspective.

I agree, it isnt the only way (lefthanded forehands). Grips also help determine the twohander dominant hand. Hitting with a dominant bottomhand isnt really new. It is simply not promoted as much as the "lefthanded" forehand.

Rickson
04-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Uh oh! I see a friendship forming!

Maybe not. To be continued...