PDA

View Full Version : My Match Video

tfm1973
04-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Played a singles match last night and took some video. Definitely not my most brilliant highlight reel of a night but I figure it's a start. I haven't really played singles seriously in nearly 10 years but Moz and others have inspired me to give it a go after spending all my time getting fat playing only doubles.

Wanna at least see how much I can improve. Judging from the video I have lots and lots and lots to work on. :-|

We had one hour of indoor time and after warming up got about 1 1/2 sets in. I edited out between points but kept double faults and all of the sloppy, sloppy play. I believe I was leading 6-1 and on serve 2-2 when the bell rang.

Comments and critiques are definitely welcome. Also trying vimeo.com vs youtube.com -- quality seems better on vimeo but slower uploading.

Cheers!
TFM1973

http://www.vimeo.com/850788

Hewitt Aussie
04-01-2008, 07:37 PM
it wont let me get into the video because it says it is a private video.

tfm1973
04-01-2008, 07:38 PM
thanks hewitt. let me change settings.

try it now please! :)

CantBeBeat2
04-01-2008, 07:38 PM
yeah same for me. private..

Hewitt Aussie
04-01-2008, 07:48 PM
geez, you hit the camera a lot. It seems like you can't really keep a rally. You hit a lot of balls in the net. Maybe try to bend your knees more.

CantBeBeat2
04-01-2008, 07:51 PM
very lazy. you hit with all arm on every shot, even when you serve. no power what so ever. your just arming every shot. get your legs and hips into every shot. everything should be working together.

NLBwell
04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Looks like you've got a long way to go, but also looks like you have a good foundation to work from. If you can play a lot over the next couple of weeks (weather would be kind of iffy here, don't know where you are). post another video and compare it to the first. Once you have gotten more back in the swing of things, then picking apart your game would make more sense.

Vision84
04-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Bend your knees to get down to low balls. You look like I did when I had severe tendonitis in both of my knees. You should bend from your knees and not from the back for low balls where you can. Also I don't see either linear or angular momentum on your shots. As CantBeBeat2 says you arm everything. You want to either go with the modern forehand or the classic forehand. Search around youtube as there are plenty of instructional videos on these.

Passion4Tennis
04-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Played a singles match last night and took some video. Definitely not my most brilliant highlight reel of a night but I figure it's a start. I haven't really played singles seriously in nearly 10 years but Moz and others have inspired me to give it a go after spending all my time getting fat playing only doubles.

Wanna at least see how much I can improve. Judging from the video I have lots and lots and lots to work on. :-|

We had one hour of indoor time and after warming up got about 1 1/2 sets in. I edited out between points but kept double faults and all of the sloppy, sloppy play. I believe I was leading 6-1 and on serve 2-2 when the bell rang.

Comments and critiques are definitely welcome. Also trying vimeo.com vs youtube.com -- quality seems better on vimeo but slower uploading.

Cheers!
TFM1973

You're both skilled players, and if you haven't played singles seriously in the last 10 years, you look pretty damn good.

Some of the criticism here is unjustified. You're obviously using more than your arm on the serve. I see bent knees, an arched back, forward momentum, and good results! You're not hitting cream puff serves by any means.

Sure, you need to try and bend your knees on your groundies a bit more, but I think your biggest problem is that you're simply going for too much at times. Since you're just getting back to playing singles seriously, try to concentrate on the consistency of your shots more.

goober
04-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I am not sure if everybody realizes you are the one closer to the camera. But in any case I think your serve is the best part of your game. Your opponent could not handle some of your kickers. Consistency and footwork seemed to be your biggest problem.

Your opponent was really stiff on his serve, completely arming the ball. But he rarely double faulted. How tall was he? He was pretty good at the net but his groundies were not very good.

BTW if this you fat what did you look like when you were skinny?:)

split-step
04-01-2008, 10:22 PM
I am not sure if everybody realizes you are the one closer to the camera. But in any case I think your serve is the best part of your game. Your opponent could not handle some of your kickers.

His opponent couldn't handle his kickers because he has no backhand.
He had good volleys though.

split-step
04-01-2008, 10:47 PM
To the OP, nice video quality.

First thing I notice is little or no split-step. Especially after you serve. You stand and wait for the return. THis will hurt you against someone who is not just slicing your returns.

You however do split step when as you transition to the net so that's good. Interesting that you always do it at net but not at the baseline.

I actually think you are consistent when you want to be. Your forehand has good net clearance and your backhand slice is pretty consistent.
I liked the forehands were you really drove through the ball though. It's good that you have the ability to do that as well as loop it deep.

I also liked the service return you stepped in on. That's where you want to return that serve. Even though you shanked the return, the idea was correct. The serve is not big and is sitting up. You just need to work on the timing.

I couldn't really see your footwork so can't comment on that.

baek57
04-02-2008, 02:58 AM
is there something wrong with your legs? cuz you dont seem to like to use them. when you get more active with your legs, i guarantee a lot of those misses will be eliminated.

JHBKLYN
04-02-2008, 03:13 AM
Your opponent could not handle some of your kickers. Consistency and footwork seemed to be your biggest problem.

Your opponent was really stiff on his serve, completely arming the ball. But he rarely double faulted. How tall was he? He was pretty good at the net but his groundies were not very good.

If I'm not mistaken, he double faulted about 6 or 7 times which is a lot for serving only 5 or 6 times. He is stiff when he serves, his left foot is cemented to the ground, it never lifts up, you can't even slip a piece of paper between his sneaker and the floor. Maybe that's the reason why he's can't handle some of the kickers, he has lead feet and doesn't seem to move very well.

Going by the video, I think I'm going to bet on that woman Cindy to get at least a point if they play their Golden Set match. :)

tfm1973
04-02-2008, 03:18 AM
Guys thank you for all the comments. I'm the guy wearing the gray shorts and black t-shirt CLOSEST to the camera.

Definitely the most glaring thing that pops out to me is that I move VERY lazily and hardly ever bend my knees on groundies. Ugh. Probably a combination of my own inate laziness and lack of physical fitness. I LOOK skinny but pack 15 pounds of spare tire and probably couldn't run a mile without taking a break.

I'm surprised some of you thought I was overhitting or going for too much because I mostly concentrated on keeping balls deep. Definitely wasn't going for many winners. But I need to work on consistently hitting quality groundies and not just getting them back.

I've been starting to jog and hope if my general fitness improves I can play with more ENERGY - which hopefully translates to a higher level of play. For you single peeps - don't get married and don't have kids. ;)

tfm1973
04-02-2008, 03:22 AM
I also liked the service return you stepped in on. That's where you want to return that serve. Even though you shanked the return, the idea was correct. The serve is not big and is sitting up. You just need to work on the timing.

glad you noticed that. i did like seeing me creep up and ATTEMPT to punish that weak floaty serve. but yeah the execution left a lot to be desired. timing wasn't there but i guess some part of me remembers that's what i should be doing.

tfm1973
04-02-2008, 03:33 AM
If I'm not mistaken, he double faulted about 6 or 7 times which is a lot for serving only 5 or 6 times. He is stiff when he serves, his left foot is cemented to the ground, it never lifts up, you can't even slip a piece of paper between his sneaker and the floor. Maybe that's the reason why he's can't handle some of the kickers, he has lead feet and doesn't seem to move very well.

Going by the video, I think I'm going to bet on that woman Cindy to get at least a point if they play their Golden Set match. :)

agreed. my friend served probably 6-7 doubles that night. i think i doubled 3 times or so myself. not terribly great. as for the golden set vs cindysphinx -- LOL! i would bet against me too. in fact maybe i already have and i'll be raking in the dough! ;)

JHBKLYN
04-02-2008, 03:54 AM
agreed. my friend served probably 6-7 doubles that night. i think i doubled 3 times or so myself. not terribly great. as for the golden set vs cindysphinx -- LOL! i would bet against me too. in fact maybe i already have and i'll be raking in the dough! ;)

If the bet was for goose-eggs, then I would bet on you. But if you're just getting back to playing singles after a 10-year layoff, I think you will either double fault or she may get a lucky shot if she just stuck her racquet out on your kick serve. In fact, I bet she gets at least 2 points!

Djokovicfan4life
04-02-2008, 04:21 AM
Strange thing is that you guys struggle to keep a rally going, yet you both get decent spin on your second serves! :confused:

I can keep 20-30+ stroke rallies, but I still don't have a topspin serve, good for you guys! :)

albino smurf
04-02-2008, 04:35 AM
You both look bored to me. No movement, no energy. Carpe diem people.

Also out of curiosity, what USTA rating would you give each player?

Vision84
04-02-2008, 04:39 AM
Guys thank you for all the comments. I'm the guy wearing the gray shorts and black t-shirt CLOSEST to the camera.

I retract my statements. I saw a few points again but I don't have much time so I didn't see more but you hit all of your shots off the camera so I can't comment. Maybe when I have time later to see the whole video.

ramseszerg
04-02-2008, 04:40 AM

ok here we go..

westside
04-02-2008, 04:55 AM
ok here we go..

LOL :)

(10 Characters)

f1 tech
04-02-2008, 05:19 AM
The guy at the end didn't seem like he was too much into it. The strokes seem lazy. He has a nice second serve.

goober
04-02-2008, 05:34 AM
If the bet was for goose-eggs, then I would bet on you. But if you're just getting back to playing singles after a 10-year layoff, I think you will either double fault or she may get a lucky shot if she just stuck her racquet out on your kick serve. In fact, I bet she gets at least 2 points!

Goose eggs I am going to say yes, golden set no way. Raiden who has an official rating of 3.0 (but I guess is really a 3.5?) got I think three bagel sets out of 5 on her.

raiden031
04-02-2008, 06:10 AM
Goose eggs I am going to say yes, golden set no way. Raiden who has an official rating of 3.0 (but I guess is really a 3.5?) got I think three bagel sets out of 5 on her.

I would consider myself a solid 3.5 after some of the results I've had over the past couple months. I've only lost 1 semi-to-serious match in the past 6 months in either singles or [mixed] doubles and it was to a strong 3.5 in singles.

There is no way he will win a golden set against her. I played pretty well against her but it was far from perfect and she still won a good number of points (more than the score showed).

Pro Staff Pete
04-02-2008, 06:19 AM
The guy you're playing doesn't look like he's enjoying it :/ No effort whatsoever

raiden031
04-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Maybe you shoulda specified from the original post which player you were, I can't tell who they are criticizing since the other guy IMO looks much worse than you.

goober
04-02-2008, 06:31 AM
I would consider myself a solid 3.5 after some of the results I've had over the past couple months. I've only lost 1 semi-to-serious match in the past 6 months in either singles or [mixed] doubles and it was to a strong 3.5 in singles.

There is no way he will win a golden set against her. I played pretty well against her but it was far from perfect and she still won a good number of points (more than the score showed).

Aren't you and TFM going to play? It would be interesting to see those results and maybe a video:)

raiden031
04-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Aren't you and TFM going to play? It would be interesting to see those results and maybe a video:)

yep probably early next week.

tfm1973
04-02-2008, 07:04 AM
You both look bored to me. No movement, no energy. Carpe diem people.

what rating would YOU give us? :-?

todd03blown
04-02-2008, 07:05 AM
subscribing

tfm1973
04-02-2008, 07:43 AM
TMF... MYF (MOVE YOUR FEET!). You guys aren't bad. A little constructive critism... try to keep the ball in play for a couple of shots instead to going for it too soon. Keep your head down, bend those knees, stay on your toes and turn your shoulders... I sound like that ******* high school tennis coach we all had!:)

TFM = Try Funking Moving?
TFM = Toes Formed of Molasses?
TFM = Tempurepedic Foot Massage?

Fedace
04-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Do you guys hit topspin on your backhand side ?? it looks like 99% slice to me. You will find that with proper grip and technique, one handed topspin backhand is just as easy or even easier to hit than slice backhands. I used have 2 hander and with wrist injury, i switched to 1-handed backhand and had problems in the beginning but now i can rip it, almost as good as my forehand nowadays.

Rickson
04-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Where is that? Mid west somewhere?

Btw, try to write mid west as one word, the filter blocks it out for some reason.

boojay
04-02-2008, 08:15 AM
I watched about half the video and all I have to say is, in terms of matchplay, you guys are better than 80% of the people who post vids in this section.

split-step
04-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Where is that? Mid west somewhere?

Btw, try to write mid west as one word, the filter blocks it out for some reason.

I think it does that because of mid west sports.

Rickson
04-02-2008, 08:25 AM
I think it does that because of mid west sports.

Those b-astards!

tfm1973
04-02-2008, 08:39 AM
I watched about half the video and all I have to say is, in terms of matchplay, you guys are better than 80% of the people who post vids in this section.

thanks boojay. i think. :)

you bring up a pretty good point. both my friend in the far court and myself are 4.0 rated players. i've played 4.0 USTA for 15 years in Hawaii Pacific and the Mid Atlantic Section (MD, DC and VA). yes - the same 4.0 rating the entire time. i'm about as benchmark a 4.0 as you'll likely find. and if you go by the USTA numbers we are better players than 80% of people who pick up a racquet - including the people who post on these forums.

do we have lots of flaws? tons and tons of em. do we have ugly strokes? oh god yes. it's embarassing how ugly they are. :) but we also must have some level of consistency and effectiveness above and beyond what 3.5 and lower typically have. so it might not look terribly good on video but it must be effective.

i respect and encourage people to post their opinions. it's fun and it makes my boring day at work go by faster. hehe. but i would caution anyone who likes to blast ppl who post their videos here in the forums. if you've never seen yourself play on video before -- it's ENLIGHTENING to say the least. no need to blow someone up just to make yourself feel better.

cheers!

flash9
04-02-2008, 09:14 AM
My comments are more about the video then the level of play.

I feel after watching the full video, I have a better understanding of your friends level of play then yours. I was able to see clearly your friends serve, forehand, backhand, volleys and overheads. In your case, I really had a great view of your serve, and an occasional volley from behind you. I kept hoping you would switch ends.

I was a little surprised by the lack of movement for some shots, but again that was more from your friend. He reminded me of one of the Super Seniors on my Mens 4.0 team. Great ball placement and he has nice touch at the net, but I need to pair him up with someone who can cover a lot of ground since he is unable to get drop shots and even defensive lobs over his head.

Maybe I will see if I can get my daughters video camera and record some this weekend.

Azzurri
04-02-2008, 09:55 AM
I was only able to watch around 3 minutes, but I saw enough (I guess). I don't know what to think..was this a normal match for you? Another words, is this the way you normally play? The speed looked a little slow and I think of 4.0 player with more rallies and better foot work. Neither of you are bad players, but I wondered why you guys hit so "lazily". You did mention you thought you saw yourself as lazy, so at least you can be self-critical. That is good. You can take some criticism and learn from it.

You need some lessons or clinics (clinics are cheaper and you can get the lesson that way). You need a little more oomph on your shots and more "delivered" strokes. Not on all shots, but there are some shots your partner hit you should be able to take a hack at. Seems like you may have some troubles getting topspin? Someone mentioned the slice backhand...those are not really effective (more bite is needed), so try to get yourself a topspin backhand.

I went through a 3 month clinic and it does help. You get a chance to drill many type shots (FH, BH, etc.). You have some skills to play, but I am surprised to read some people gave you a 4.0, I would rate 3.5 at best (not trying to be to critical, just my honest opinion). I played in a 4-5.0 clinic and you would get beaten pretty badly by all of the players except maybe one...so I don't think you are at their level..don't forget I did not see the whole video, so what do I know.:)

Are you able to attain a tennis ball machine? Its a good way to grrove your stroke. You won't need a ton of lessons, but just get a few to round out your strokes. You will notice a change in just a few months.

Good luck and thanks for posting!:)

The guy in the hat is like a 4.0 (to me anyway). He has a thread too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2OOE6UN5wY

sapient007
04-02-2008, 11:17 AM
damn the internet is harsh.

goober
04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
damn the internet is harsh.

Actually TW is mellowing. If he posted this video a year or more ago, he would have received numerous ratings in the 2.5-3.5 range with comments like, "No way is he 4.0" " I can hit better than that and I'm 3.0 at best":)

raiden031
04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I went through a 3 month clinic and it does help. You get a chance to drill many type shots (FH, BH, etc.). You have some skills to play, but I am surprised to read some people gave you a 4.0, I would rate 3.5 at best (not trying to be to critical, just my honest opinion). I played in a 4-5.0 clinic and you would get beaten pretty badly by all of the players except maybe one...so I don't think you are at their level..don't forget I did not see the whole video, so what do I know.:)

Even though TFM has been playing legit 4.0 leagues for 15 years, does that mean you think he actually is a 3.5 and not a 4.0?

boojay
04-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Heh, honestly, I didn't mean it as a compliment, it was merely an assessment, but you're welcome to take it that way (as a compliment, that is) because being better than "80% of people who pick up a racquet" is not mediocre by any stretch. You saved me the trouble of elaborating upon my post with your post as I agree with everything in it. I'm glad you can look at yourself objectively though. I definitely think you have plenty of room to improve and will no doubt do so.

Tanx for da vidz!

thanks boojay. i think. :)

you bring up a pretty good point. both my friend in the far court and myself are 4.0 rated players. i've played 4.0 USTA for 15 years in Hawaii Pacific and the Mid Atlantic Section (MD, DC and VA). yes - the same 4.0 rating the entire time. i'm about as benchmark a 4.0 as you'll likely find. and if you go by the USTA numbers we are better players than 80% of people who pick up a racquet - including the people who post on these forums.

do we have lots of flaws? tons and tons of em. do we have ugly strokes? oh god yes. it's embarassing how ugly they are. :) but we also must have some level of consistency and effectiveness above and beyond what 3.5 and lower typically have. so it might not look terribly good on video but it must be effective.

i respect and encourage people to post their opinions. it's fun and it makes my boring day at work go by faster. hehe. but i would caution anyone who likes to blast ppl who post their videos here in the forums. if you've never seen yourself play on video before -- it's ENLIGHTENING to say the least. no need to blow someone up just to make yourself feel better.

cheers!

Azzurri
04-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Even though TFM has been playing legit 4.0 leagues for 15 years, does that mean you think he actually is a 3.5 and not a 4.0?

I honestly don't know what to think. I have seen so many videos lately and I have seen better players ranked at 4.0. I am also in a clinic and you have to "make the team" in order to get in. One guy is decent, but some of us have questioned how he got in (far to inconsistent..one day he hits well and he is reliable, the next he sucks bad..so again, what do I know).

I have read that the system is different in areas. Cali rating is supposed to be .5 higher than anywhere else (just what I read), so a 3.5 in Cali would be a 4.0 everywhere else.

Neither was a bad player, but I look at a 4.0 to have some ability to hit harder and have a more grooved stroke. I attached a video and people seemed to have rated the guy in the hat a 4.0 also, so to me that guy is a 4.0. JMO.:)

TNT16
04-02-2008, 05:05 PM

Agreed - the guy at the far end has lead feet. Then again he seems to move OK at the net/coming in. Does he always play that way (lazy) or was he tired or something?

Also he makes a lot of errors on the backhand but then hits some solid backhand winners. Were those winners a fluke or was he off/tired causing the errors?

Babb
04-02-2008, 05:18 PM
So the official rating of these guys is 4.0? Their serves are better than mine, but my groundies are more consistent. But then again, you never can tell until you're on the court with them :D

Great video!

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I would say a 3.5...IMHO. That vid posted up there with the guy in the hat is a legit 4.0, of course as ^, I won't know until I play TFM...

quest01
04-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Nice video and sound effects. By the way I won my match today also 6-4, 6-3.

I won my match last week 6-1, 3-6, 6-4.

FedererISBetter
04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Sorry for making this random, but what camera is that? I need it to film me strokes

baek57
04-03-2008, 12:48 AM
i can see how one might think they are 3.5 because of all the unforced errors and very short rallies. A lot of their shots look like 4.0 to me though including serve.

tfm1973
04-03-2008, 03:50 AM
thanks for all the comments and criticism. i really do appreciate them because my ultimate goal, like all of us i would imagine, is to get better.

my friend in the far court - he's typically a bit faster and moves better. maybe an off night for him. because i've played him and know his tendencies - my strategy was simply to outlast him. not terribly inspired or great looking to watch tennis i admit but i wanted to keep it deep and make him play. he coughed up unforced error after unforced error. if he was a rock of consistency then i would've had to force the issue more.

also this was a match. here's a video of me practicing a few months ago. not terribly better but definitely more energy and movement. the difference? it doesn't matter how you look in practice. only matches count. even when it's dirt ugly. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amdl9mGh33c

Azzurri
04-03-2008, 04:06 AM
So the official rating of these guys is 4.0? Their serves are better than mine, but my groundies are more consistent. But then again, you never can tell until you're on the court with them :D

Great video!

Based on the new video, yea, they are more like 4.0.

Azzurri
04-03-2008, 04:08 AM
i can see how one might think they are 3.5 because of all the unforced errors and very short rallies. A lot of their shots look like 4.0 to me though including serve.

Yea, serve was good. I forgot to mention that. The OP had a nice serve. But the rest is solid 3.5 with a little 4.0 sprinkled in for the initial video and solid 4.0 for the newer one.

Azzurri
04-03-2008, 04:18 AM
thanks for all the comments and criticism. i really do appreciate them because my ultimate goal, like all of us i would imagine, is to get better.

my friend in the far court - he's typically a bit faster and moves better. maybe an off night for him. because i've played him and know his tendencies - my strategy was simply to outlast him. not terribly inspired or great looking to watch tennis i admit but i wanted to keep it deep and make him play. he coughed up unforced error after unforced error. if he was a rock of consistency then i would've had to force the issue more.

also this was a match. here's a video of me practicing a few months ago. not terribly better but definitely more energy and movement. the difference? it doesn't matter how you look in practice. only matches count. even when it's dirt ugly. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amdl9mGh33c

Now you just threw me a curve...this is a not 3.5 level in this video. I realize everyone plays/looks better when its just rallies, but its obvious you both have better skills than a 3.5, so I was incorrect in my judgement of 3.5 from the initial video, you guys just had a bad night I suppose. You both have good, solid strokes (your friend has some inconsistency with his BH and it looks like a simple grip change may work..a little more towards western grip (ala Henin) may work for his swing type..ask him to try it for a few practice sessions).

You move well, but looks like you are a bit too upright. But your FH is good and you do have juice, unlike the other video, this video shows you can hit a FH pretty solid with nice pace (sorry about the comments about needing some oomph, but this video is way better).

You just need tweaking and better footwork to get to a 4.5 level. I did not really see your BH because of the angle of the video. But you do have a nice game.

tfm1973
04-03-2008, 05:06 AM
slappano - appreciate your critique. it's both fun and extremely difficult (impossible?) to gauge someone's skill on video alone. obviously match results are the best indicator but we don't always have those available. in the practice hitting session my friend is probably (damn now i'm estimating and rating LOL) a solid 3.5 player and will be playing on a 3.5 team this season.

as for the match video. looking more critically - i think you're right in a sense that it does "look" like a 3.5 match with maybe a flash or two of 4.0 mediocrity. ;)

i wonder if there are others who are like me. by nature i'm a pretty lazy SOB. i tend to try for minimal effort and i wind up "mirroring" my opponent. if they are playing at X level -- then i sorta match that level but turn it up a notch when i need it -- X+1 level. as you can imagine it gets me into trouble and as you've seen i only have a few notches i can go up (i think 2). muahahaaha. :)

Azzurri
04-03-2008, 05:36 AM
slappano - appreciate your critique. it's both fun and extremely difficult (impossible?) to gauge someone's skill on video alone. obviously match results are the best indicator but we don't always have those available. in the practice hitting session my friend is probably (damn now i'm estimating and rating LOL) a solid 3.5 player and will be playing on a 3.5 team this season.

as for the match video. looking more critically - i think you're right in a sense that it does "look" like a 3.5 match with maybe a flash or two of 4.0 mediocrity. ;)

i wonder if there are others who are like me. by nature i'm a pretty lazy SOB. i tend to try for minimal effort and i wind up "mirroring" my opponent. if they are playing at X level -- then i sorta match that level but turn it up a notch when i need it -- X+1 level. as you can imagine it gets me into trouble and as you've seen i only have a few notches i can go up (i think 2). muahahaaha. :)

You can definetly "turn it on" when you want to. I agree, playing a match is so different. When you practice, your partner is hitting towards or for you. The set up is easier and so the natural swing anyone has will be shown, but in match play that all goes out the window. You really have good shots, so like me enjoy what you have. Can we get better? Sure, but do we have the time. I have a full-time job, married and my second child on the way (less than a month), so playing 1-2 days a week is max. But I enjoy playing. So I am not relly concerned about jumping to say a 5.0 level and getting into tourney's. But if you have the time and a little coaching, you could pull up at least .5 point rating.

I'm lazy too, its simpe though. You and I may lack "full" concentration. We worry about our shot, opponents shot, out FH, BH, etc., but we forget to really move our feet. Its sad, but I am constantly telling myself to move, stand on the balls of my feet on returns, move, split-step. Its ridiculous. How in the world can I concentrate on my swing? But, in order to get better we have to move better. Being in position is 1/2 the battle, while the other 1/2 is mental, so strokes don't mean much because you already have astroke. If every shot is there and set up for you, you have a relatively easy time returning it, so just think in a match if you are always ready for the shot..makes sense..no? Good luck!!!:)

hyogen
04-05-2008, 01:40 AM
man, i like your 2nd serve, but your forehands... you could do so much more with them. you have good topspin, but you're not driving through the ball. flatten out that stroke a bit and hit a hard forehand! you sorta floated back some easy sitters. nice quality vid

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 08:28 AM

Cheers!
TFM1973

TFM1973,

Uhhhh, three words, YOU DONT MOVE.

What are you doing? Your shots are so lazy and your standing straight up nearly the entire time. Come on.

Get your footwork down and improve your movement.

You could also get much more power out of your serves if you incorporate your legs and improve the speed of your shoudler rotation.

JMS
04-05-2008, 08:35 AM
TFM1973,

Uhhhh, three words, YOU DONT MOVE.

What are you doing? Your shots are so lazy and your standing straight up nearly the entire time. Come on.

Get your footwork down and improve your movement.

You could also get much more power out of your serves if you incorporate your legs and improve the speed of your shoudler rotation.

Just double checking, do you know he is the one closest to the camera?

Richard31288
04-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Your serves are pretty good, but your groundstrokes are appalling lol. I think you should get some coaching on your groundstrokes.

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Just double checking, do you know he is the one closest to the camera?

Thanks for the help JMS. At first, I didnt because I fugured the camera was on the person you could actually see?

So I went back and on the brief entertaining moments the player finally came into camera view, my words would be the same. No movement, doesn't move properly to the ball (very side to side and should have had that angled short ball played better), and is stiff in his recovery with many times him standing straight up waiting for the reply. It is what it is. :)

JMS
04-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the help JMS. At first, I didnt because I fugured the camera was on the person you could actually see?

So I went back and on the brief entertaining moments the player finally came into camera view, my words would be the same. No movement, doesn't move properly to the ball (very side to side and should have had that angled short ball played better), and is stiff in his recovery with many times him standing straight up waiting for the reply. It is what it is. :)

Haha just checking because I thought the same thing. Just wanted to inform you in case your advice would vary.

xpaulinabearx
04-05-2008, 09:25 AM
no offense, but you arent that good.
taking it from a 14 year old, i might be wrong.
but it think people on my schools varsity team will whoop your asses :D
and i think i could also.
haha, but i can be wrong.

goober
04-05-2008, 09:38 AM

Well where do you live, you could challenge him to a match and have him make a video of it. :) In my experience most high school players greatly overestimate their ability.

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 09:49 AM

Hahahaha, I like the attitude.

Moz
04-05-2008, 09:58 AM

There you go TFM - the wonders of the internet.

Being trash-talked by a 14 year old girl!

tfm1973
04-05-2008, 08:19 PM
There you go TFM - the wonders of the internet.

Being trash-talked by a 14 year old girl!

lol. i agree with bungalo -- i love the attitude. maybe a 14 year old girl talking smack will light a fire under my azz cuz i sure as hell need it.

i have a thick skin and i really can't argue with the analysis of my vids. i do move poorly and i play way too upright. and if she's a good ranked junior player - sadly i probably would lose. BUT i have my marching orders and just waiting for some warm weather to get my fatness out on the courts and drill and drill and work on my numerous deficiencies.

xpaulina - i'm in the washington dc area and you are welcome to challenge me if you are ever in the area. i win about 70% of my matches in usta 4.0 leagues. probably not the strongest region and i would imagine having a much more difficult time in say southern cali 4.0 leagues - but i can only play the competition that's available. just be aware that gorgeous strokes alone do not indicate how well someone plays a match. maybe i have 3.0-3.5 strokes but 4.0-4.5 moxy? :)

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 08:26 PM
lol. i agree with bungalo -- i love the attitude. maybe a 14 year old girl talking smack will light a fire under my azz cuz i sure as hell need it.

i have a thick skin and i really can't argue with the analysis of my vids. i do move poorly and i play way too upright. and if she's a good ranked junior player - sadly i probably would lose. BUT i have my marching orders and just waiting for some warm weather to get my fatness out on the courts and drill and drill and work on my numerous deficiencies.

Good attitude. You take on criticism as a challenge. That is very important in tennis because it gives you a fighting spirit.

Take the movement issues to heart. I know we aren't 18 anymore but you can do things to improve your ability to get to the ball.

For example, that short angled ball that you congratualted your opponent on was because of two things:

1. Slow anticipation and reaction.

2. Didn't take a great angle to get to the ball.

So even though it may have still have been a tough shot, you would have made it a lot easier for you to do something with it.

tfm1973
04-05-2008, 08:33 PM
i agree bungalo. in some ways i'm sorta spoiled. at least to my peers, i can be very quick comparitively speaking. but rather than use this to my advantage and combining it with split steps and anticipation, i use it instead to be lazier (ugh) and think it's enough to bail me out and just react. against inferior players it works fine. but as you well know - as i hit better players it doesn't mean jack squat. i'd like to be able to move better so i can put myself in positions to hit shots in my wheelhouse or comfort zone.

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 08:48 PM
i agree bungalo. in some ways i'm sorta spoiled. at least to my peers, i can be very quick comparitively speaking. but rather than use this to my advantage and combining it with split steps and anticipation, i use it instead to be lazier (ugh) and think it's enough to bail me out and just react. against inferior players it works fine. but as you well know - as i hit better players it doesn't mean jack squat. i'd like to be able to move better so i can put myself in positions to hit shots in my wheelhouse or comfort zone.

THere are three things in movement (maybe four or five) :):

1. Footwork: This is how efficient your feet move. Here is an example of footwork efficiency and they have to do with patterns and how your feet move you around the court. do you take 10 steps when only three were needed? Does your feet work with your stroke and help you recover sooner?

Watch the inside foot step and stop, and in this case the feet shift. This is very efficient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTyyITw-fyo

That is footwork and efficiency comes along with it. Obviously, you need patterns that get you to a ball farther away from you. All of them need practice. The split-step is part of the patterns.

2. Footspeed: This should be obvious. But you need to work on your footspeed. Butt-kicks, sprints, jump rope, etc...

3. Angle of attack: This is about the angle you take to the ball. Even if you like to hug the baseline, you need to know how to move to get to the ball sooner. This means you have to learn to take the right angle to the ball. This is much the same type of stuff that defensive players in football catch a speeding reciever with the ball. They take the correct angle on them. This is easier said then done and it also needs to be practiced especially on the return of serve.

4. You need to move to the ball sooner: This means you need to keep your head in every stroke. Your main goal here is to get a jump on the ball before it crosses the net. Your partner inthe video was very slow. You should be way ahead of him and take his reaction time away from him and also provide you with a better ball to hit. It seemed you were playing to his speed.

5. Your mind: It needs to judge things sooner which plays into point #4. This also takes practice, which is exactly why I am the tough son-of-a-B^T$$ coach on court. I want to run you hard and as I do, your mind is racing looking for solutions to get to that ball sooner and bringing your drill back into control.

tfm1973
04-05-2008, 08:59 PM
good stuff. i'll post new vids of me *attempting* to incorporate the advice posted. successful or not i promise more energy.

had a mixed doubles match tonight and i forced myself to play high energy and attack the ball rather than play passive and lazy. mostly good results with some disgusting ugly shanks thrown in - but i felt like i played *right* and came home feeling upbeat. it sure beats coming home from some mixed doubles matches where i feel like it was a waste of my time. i need to remind myself that if i'm not playing as best i can every time i step on the court - then i might as well sit on the couch with a bag of potato chips. mmm potato chips. :)

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 09:06 PM
good stuff. i'll post new vids of me *attempting* to incorporate the advice posted. successful or not i promise more energy.

mostly good results with some disgusting ugly shanks thrown in - but i felt like i played *right* and came home feeling upbeat.

You have to practice it, so dont expect miracles. Remember your movement also needs to incorporate balancing that glass of water on your head. This is so your mind and feet are together in tune with the incoming ball.

It is a triangle of sorts.

it sure beats coming home from some mixed doubles matches where i feel like it was a waste of my time. i need to remind myself that if i'm not playing as best i can every time i step on the court - then i might as well sit on the couch with a bag of potato chips. mmm potato chips. :)

I hear that.

vince916
04-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Are you playing against your dad?

xpaulinabearx
04-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Well where do you live, you could challenge him to a match and have him make a video of it. :) In my experience most high school players greatly overestimate their ability.

haha, i live in california.
:b

xpaulinabearx
04-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm not saying you suck, i'm just saying you're not that good.
I may be better than you, but who cares ?
it's just tennis, and theres probably a million other people who are waaaay better than me. I just think your footwork is really sloppy, and you should work on your strokes :b