PDA

View Full Version : Grip Question

Vision84
04-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I currently use a Semi-Western forehand and a 2-handed continental backhand. I hit my backhand pretty flat and want to adjust to an eastern backhand to aid in more top spin and make the grip changing within points easier. I notice that if I use the same grip for semi-western and then put my left hand on then this works. However I feel restricted with my right arm here. If I put my left hand in the eastern backhand spot and my right in a continental it feels less restrictive. I haven't gone to the court yet and won't be able to till thursday to test this out. Is this normal that I feel restrictive and what are the pros and cons of having the right hand in a continental versus an eastern for the eastern backhand grip?

Mansewerz
04-01-2008, 09:09 PM
I think it will feel that way because it is unnatural at first and more extreme.

Vision84
04-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah I considered that but it feels like I get a lot less extension than usual. You may be right though and after a while of hitting it may become comfortable. It is just usually when I test out a new grip or shot it doesn't tend to feel so restrictive and an eastern backhand shouldn't be that extreme.

Vision84
04-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Ok even though I still haven't hit with it I think I identified the problem. I was subconsciously trying to get the racket over my shoulder in the follow through position for a continental forehand. i,e. racket head vertical rather than at an angle. Once I fixed this it feels much more comfortable.

But I still wonder what the pros and cons are of having the left hand in an eastern backhand with the right in a continental. Will this potentially result in a lack of power or stability?

Rickson
04-02-2008, 08:59 AM
I currently use a Semi-Western forehand and a 2-handed continental backhand. I hit my backhand pretty flat and want to adjust to an eastern backhand to aid in more top spin and make the grip changing within points easier. I notice that if I use the same grip for semi-western and then put my left hand on then this works. However I feel restricted with my right arm here. If I put my left hand in the eastern backhand spot and my right in a continental it feels less restrictive. I haven't gone to the court yet and won't be able to till thursday to test this out. Is this normal that I feel restrictive and what are the pros and cons of having the right hand in a continental versus an eastern for the eastern backhand grip?

It depends on which direction you're switching grips. I sincerely hope you're using the opposite face for you backhands. If you're switching grips where you use the same side face, you'll definitely feel restricted. I'd go with an eastern bh right, sw fh left setup. I think you'll get good spin that way.

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 10:26 AM

I am trying to follow you.

So you are currently using a:

1. Forehand: SW

2. 2BH Contnental???: Do you mean your bottom-hand is in a continental and the tophand is in a SW???? Couldn't tell as you are not writing very clear.

The most popular grip setup with the twohander is the tophand in an Eastern forehand grip and the bottom-hand in a Continental. Placing the tophand in an Eastern backhand grip would feel awkward to me and seem to be counter-productive.

You can put the tophand in a SW grip and leave the bottomhand either in a Continental or Eastern backhand grip to get more topspin.