PDA

View Full Version : Improving as fast as possible

HoboWithARolex
04-01-2008, 11:20 PM
whats the best way to go from never playing to improving as fast as possible

Vision84
04-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Lessons, drill sessions, lots and lots of practice.

aimr75
04-02-2008, 12:58 AM
ask GWB

:lol:
________
PENNY STOCK (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

D. Dokas
04-02-2008, 01:13 AM
TRAIN EVERY DAY 3-4 hours a day and have 1 day rest so where u do something completly different because it can get boring when u do the same thing every single day of ur life

Oxford
04-02-2008, 01:28 AM
get a ball machine and a good coach. take lessons and then drill the lesson into your brain with the ball machine. work on footwork alot. keep eye on ball.

then play some games but DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WINNING. Plan on losing most of your games for months by bringing your work in progress game to a match.

that's what i did and now i beat the guys who used to beat me all the time.

ox

D. Dokas
04-02-2008, 01:36 AM
oxford doesnt it feel good when u started u get beat 6-0 and now u play that person and u beat them 6-1 ahh that feeling

baghdatis
04-02-2008, 03:28 AM
oh yea it sure does feel great dokas :p

to bad I haven't felt it lately :cry:

Oxford thanx for bringing that to mind. I need to get my hands on one of them ball machines :lol:

ShooterMcMarco
04-02-2008, 03:59 AM
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1717927-1,00.html

Read that article. Its about the science of experience.

Djokovicfan4life
04-02-2008, 05:28 AM
Step 1: Buy ball machine.

Step 2: Suck at tennis.

Step 3: Quit tennis and give the ball machine to Djokovicfan4life

I'm only joking of course, do what everyone else has said and you'll be fine.

NotAtTheNet
04-02-2008, 07:28 AM
All this talk of drills and practice and whatnot, the most important aspect everyones forgetting is to have fun... you're more likely to keep playing if you're having fun, then it won't seem like drills or practice...

Djokovicfan4life
04-02-2008, 10:27 AM
All this talk of drills and practice and whatnot, the most important aspect everyones forgetting is to have fun... you're more likely to keep playing if you're having fun, then it won't seem like drills or practice...

Well, he asked how to improve as fast as possible, and you don't get better very quickly from trading moonballs with fellow 2.5 players.

Of course you should try to have fun, but if someone truly wants to improve, then they have to be willing to put in the work.

chroix
04-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Get bitten by a radioactive tennis ball.

Gee Willikers Batman!
04-02-2008, 01:30 PM
ask GWB

:lol:

Nice! Rofl..

Do what I did

Get a training regimen every week. Then mix it up every once in awhile. Right now, my week goes like..

Monday - Volleys
Tuesdays - Forehand
Wednesday - Backhand
Thursday - Footwork/Running
Friday - Serves 1st & Second
Saturday - Matchplay day.
Sunday - REST.

Using mostly a ball machine, or sometimes the wall for Mon/Tues/Wed.

It will soon be changed in a few weeks. (my schedule)

Bagumbawalla
04-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Just as in anything, learning to play the saxophone, gymnastics, opera, rock climbing, medical school...

Desire and commitment and some ability are the first requirements.

Then comes a schedule of training (with an insructor would be best).

The realization that advancement is like a job, like going to school, that it is not all fun, but ultimate satisfaction is the goal.

Followed by practice and drills at least 6 days a week.

BallBeemer
04-02-2008, 06:32 PM
If your dedicated... Practice, practice, practice

rbq4h4
04-02-2008, 07:20 PM
one thing i recomend is reading alot of the posts by the guy "bufalo bill" - i am reading a lot of his stuff and impresed by his knowledge. i'm playing for about three years now , not won any matches yet but honestly i owe all my success to him!

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
whats the best way to go from never playing to improving as fast as possible

I depends on you, your committment, your conditioning, and your ability to pick up things quickly in tennis.

You have to learn to:

1. Serve

2. Volley

3. Backhands

4. Forehands

5. Overheads

6. Half-volleys

It is a lot. However, there is something big you can do. Get in the best shape possible for tennis. This means you must consider tennis largely an anaerobic sport built around weight/strength training, sprints, court drills, agility training, and flexibility.

This is the foundation of everything in tennis and is largely the area that is lacking in most club players. Without a strong foundation strokes are half-performed which means problems in timing, weight transfer, positioning, and getting to the ball on-time. Without these things, it is vey hard to improve in tennis quickly.

TennisProdigy
04-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Nice! Rofl..

Do what I did

Get a training regimen every week. Then mix it up every once in awhile. Right now, my week goes like..

Monday - Volleys
Tuesdays - Forehand
Wednesday - Backhand
Thursday - Footwork/Running
Friday - Serves 1st & Second
Saturday - Matchplay day.
Sunday - REST.

Using mostly a ball machine, or sometimes the wall for Mon/Tues/Wed.

It will soon be changed in a few weeks. (my schedule)

I've been playing for 11 months and I was just a 4.0+ or around there but lately I've been playing 4.5- tennis, hitting with same power and spin but more consistently and with better placement.

I have been pretty fortunate as I have many resources at my disposal. Here is my schedule.

Monday - Hit with 5.0 father hitting mainly groundstrokes but practicing approach shots and net play.
Tuesday - Lesson with coach then practice serve.
Wedsday - Practice match 2/3 sets with someone who is better than me.
Thursday - Practice match with someone who is a little worse than me.
Friday - Tournament match
Saturday - Tournament match or if I got knocked out rest day.
Sunday - Tournament match or hit with father.

Nothing more valuable than match play IMO. You can practice your strokes with a partner or ball machine all you want, but it is definitely not the same when you are in a real match.