PDA

View Full Version : Can I return the ball (i'm not the receiver) if our opponent hits a drop serve?

pmata814
04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this (I apologize if it's not) but here it goes.

Last night I was playing doubles and my partner was receiving on the deuce side. I was standing in the center of the ad service box. The server hit a drop serve to try and surprise him. My partner got to it, but now I'm wondering if it would have been legal for me to return it. Does anybody know?

thanks in advance.

raiden031
04-02-2008, 08:52 AM
There is no restriction on where each returning player must line up while receiving serve. What would stop you from returning every serve regardless of where in the service box your opponent hits the ball? So the answer is no.

baek57
04-02-2008, 09:31 AM
lol... do it.

matchpoint
04-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this (I apologize if it's not) but here it goes.

Last night I was playing doubles and my partner was receiving on the deuce side. I was standing in the center of the ad service box. The server hit a drop serve to try and surprise him. My partner got to it, but now I'm wondering if it would have been legal for me to return it. Does anybody know?

thanks in advance.

NO.

USTA Rule 15. order of Receiving in Doubles
The team which is due to receive in the first game of a set shall decide which player shall receive the first point. Similarly, before the second game starts, their opponents shall decide which player shall receive the first point of the game, etc...

BallBeemer
04-02-2008, 05:30 PM
No You can't

10s talk
04-02-2008, 06:47 PM
YES you can ! if it is the first point of the set then receiver sides have not been established

otherwise no

C_Urala
04-03-2008, 01:39 AM
YES you can ! if it is the first point of the set then receiver sides have not been established

are you a lawyer? ;)

fuzz nation
04-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Well you can, but... you'd have to be one helluva debater to actually keep the point! Pull that one off and I'd say you've got a serious future in advertising... or politics.

Kaptain Karl
04-03-2008, 06:07 AM
<Mod Mode> The trolling posts have been removed. You people surprise me. I'd have thought you'd be more helpful ... and help spread the love of the game of tennis. </Mod Mode>

Many of us forget what it was like to be newer to the game.

Tuesday, I coached my #2 Doubles HS girls to play "two back" on the Deuce side returns. (Our player was hitting every return right to their net player; my Ad player was getting *shelled*.) My girls immediate question was, "Is that allowed?"

Geez!!! My girls' Coach must really stink!

- KK