PDA

View Full Version : Serve: Placement

cukoo
04-02-2008, 06:31 PM
How do you guys aim the ball when serving? I have a somewhat consistent motion and service routine and now I think the next step should be working on placement. Besides practicing and more practicing, are there any tips for accuracy on the serves. For example serves down the middle, to the deuce corner, ad corner...I'm a righty btw.

Thanks

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 06:37 PM
How do you guys aim the ball when serving? I have a somewhat consistent motion and service routine and now I think the next step should be working on placement. Besides practicing and more practicing, are there any tips for accuracy on the serves. For example serves down the middle, to the deuce corner, ad corner...I'm a righty btw.

Thanks

One of the best ways to learn how to aim your serve is by placing cones out there in the service box. You will learn how to position yourself.

Solat
04-02-2008, 06:43 PM
aiming cannot really be "taught" on the serve, the difference in racquet position to change from one side of the box to the other is pretty subtle so too hard for someone to watch and critique

but its the same as any other sport where you need to hit a target, trial and error and the appropriate adjustments

you need to have a target then take note of your tendencies when you aim for it (too long, too far right) and try to make the appropriate adjustments to allow for it. Patterns are good it means you have a consistent swing, random results are not a good sign

Bagumbawalla
04-02-2008, 07:36 PM
How do "aim" a dart when you throw it, how do you aim a baseball, billiard shot, tennis groundstroke, basketball free throw...how do you aim anyhing that does not come with a sighting mechanism?

How do you "aim" your groundstrokes? If you can fairly well place your groundstrokes-- well, it is the same idea with the serve.

First you try to create a mental picture of the forces at work and what might be required to get the result you want.

Then you serve the ball, trying as best you can to recreate those motions you saw in your mind.

Then you see what happens, where you wanted the ball to land and where it actually did land.

Then you make a slight adjustment/compensation and try again. Each time judge what worked and what didn't work. Continue to make small adjustments until you can repeat your success with confidence.

Then remember what you did and how it felt.

And practicie.

Bungalo Bill
04-02-2008, 07:55 PM
How do "aim" a dart when you throw it, how do you aim a baseball, billiard shot, tennis groundstroke, basketball free throw...how do you aim anyhing that does not come with a sighting mechanism?

How do you "aim" your groundstrokes? If you can fairly well place your groundstrokes-- well, it is the same idea with the serve.

First you try to create a mental picture of the forces at work and what might be required to get the result you want.

Then you serve the ball, trying as best you can to recreate those motions you saw in your mind.

Then you see what happens, where you wanted the ball to land and where it actually did land.

Then you make a slight adjustment/compensation and try again. Each time judge what worked and what didn't work. Continue to make small adjustments until you can repeat your success with confidence.

Then remember what you did and how it felt.

And practicie.

Cones will help with the "aiming" and the learning.

shwetty[tennis]balls
04-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Target practice, target practice, target practice.

Everyone's techinque is different. You'll need to develop your own depending on how you serve.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 08:34 AM

Thanks

For the deuce side and if you're a righty, toss the ball to the right if you want corner serves and more to the left compared to the right toss if you want a serve up the T.

MLtennis
04-03-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm working on this currently myself so I can add what I've found, maybe this will help. Currently, I can easily hit a flat serve on the deuce side down the T and on Ad side out wide due to the pronation and my position on the sevice line. I use a slice on either side to go to the opposite side (slice out wide on deuce, slice down the T on Ad) and I can sometimes get a good kick serve out wide on the Ad side.

My coach is working with me to turn my shoulders early after the trophy pose as I come up in order to hit the flat serve to the sides I have trouble with. So far this is working great but I need a lot of practice to get it right. Essentialy I end up turned as though I had set up more towards the area I'm trying to hit to, but I don't set up that way because I don't want to give away where I'm trying to hit. This also allows me to use the same ball toss.

The light came on, so to speak, when my coach started this lesson by saying he could hit a serve anywhere as long as he was pointed there. He proceeded to hit 4 or 5 flat serves all over the court - not neccessarily even in the service box - to make the point that it all depends on how you set up. Basically you learn to hit a flat serve, then just turn to hit it where you want to. But since you're trying to hide where you're going to hit, according to my coach, you turn your shoulders just before you make contact with the ball, so that your toss and setup are the same for each serve, but you are more square to the target at contact and can direct the ball just as easily to one side or another or down the middle.

There is a minor set up difference from the Ad side to the Deuce side for me, in that my feet on the deuce side are not as parallel to the baseline as they are when serving to the Ad side, but since this is always the same no matter what serve I'm hitting there's no give-away to the returner.

I certainly can't say this is the "best" way to do this as I'm not a pro, but my coach has coached a few pros, and it works for me. Just my $0.02, hope it helps.

I would also say that the cones approach by BB is great, it helps you focus on a target and has made a big difference in my accuracy.

Bagumbawalla
04-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Bungalo Bill,

Not that I have anything against using cones, but why are you telling ME about cones?

There is no logic to that.

Please direct your answers to the person who is asking the question. Help him.

Tell him about cones all you want.

watermantra
04-03-2008, 04:06 PM
I was taught to visualize the ball in quadrants (taught the same with groundstrokes and volleys, btw). If you can envision yourself hitting the outside bottom corner of the ball, you can serve wide. If you envision hitting the middle bottom of the ball, you can serve down the middle, etc.

I think that thinking about "aiming" might be counter productive. Rather, think about visualizing the ball going where you want it to. I mean, do you "aim" your groundstrokes?

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 04:14 PM
I was taught to visualize the ball in quadrants (taught the same with groundstrokes and volleys, btw). If you can envision yourself hitting the outside bottom corner of the ball, you can serve wide. If you envision hitting the middle bottom of the ball, you can serve down the middle, etc.

I think that thinking about "aiming" might be counter productive. Rather, think about visualizing the ball going where you want it to. I mean, do you "aim" your groundstrokes?

Use bright orange cones. They help burn-in and visualization when you remove them.

mark rodgers
04-03-2008, 04:35 PM
If your motion is consistent, other than what the others are saying, I would add that you need to nail your toss placement. The toss is the boss..

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Bungalo Bill,

Not that I have anything against using cones, but why are you telling ME about cones?

There is no logic to that.

Please direct your answers to the person who is asking the question. Help him.

Tell him about cones all you want.

It was to support your response.

watermantra
04-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Use bright orange cones. They help burn-in and visualization when you remove them.

Agreed. (10 char)

Bagumbawalla
04-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Thank you, Bungalo Bill, for your support, but really you should try to direct your comments to the one requesting them.

And though I dislike commenting on others suggestions- I feel they should feel free to express their ideas on the topic... but, since you bring it up...

Though I have nothing against cones (and they don't really help with "aiming" they are just something to "aim at") had I cared to make a suggestion, I would, actually have suggested a bright colored towel, folded to about a foot square.

A cone gives you a distorted "target" that juts up from the intended placement. If you move it in so the top lines up with the service line, then the base is too near the net and the point you are wanting to hit becomes overly vague.

A towel lays right above the target point and fluffs nicely when you hit it. One advantage is you don't have to walk across to reset it every time.

And, though I commend you for the many good insights you have brought to this place, I also find you to be off-putting and insulting to many inexperienced players who come here for help, and when you enter a discussion it has often become negative and mean spirited -- and I do not want to be associated with that.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Thank you, Bungalo Bill, for your support, but really you should try to direct your comments to the one requesting them.

Thanks for your thoughtful concern, unfortunatelt for you, this is a forum and posts can be directed anywhere and to anyone who posts. If you post again, I will comment as I need to.

I am not talkng about street cones. A player can purchase the flat soccer cones they use for goals. It works the same and is just as viable as a towel. The point is they are used for targeting and are not to be used in place of normal practice without them. A towel, a flat cone works the same.

doogoshly
04-04-2008, 07:14 AM
For the deuce side and if you're a righty, toss the ball to the right if you want corner serves and more to the left compared to the right toss if you want a serve up the T.

i personally don't think this is a good idea because it begins to get into the realm of changing a flat serve to a slice or kick serve. i would think it's more a function of how far your trunk rotates which will change the angle you hit the ball at.

Rickson
04-04-2008, 07:18 AM
i personally don't think this is a good idea because it begins to get into the realm of changing a flat serve to a slice or kick serve. i would think it's more a function of how far your trunk rotates which will change the angle you hit the ball at.

It's a damn good idea!

k_liu
04-04-2008, 07:37 AM
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE... this will build muscle memory.

Bagumbawalla
04-04-2008, 04:17 PM
BB,

"I will comment as I need to".

That explains a lot.

Unfortunately, for you.

Again, I ask you to not comment on my comments, but make your own replies as you see fit to the topic, itself.

If you can't help yourself, well, obviously, I understand, that is to be expected.