PDA

View Full Version : LM Prestige Mid Customizing.

PurePrestige
01-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Has anyone else felt that the swingweight of the LM Prestige Mid is too high? I switched from the i.Prestige and the 340 swingweight is a big jump from a 320 swingweight. I was thinking about adding some lead in the handle to lower the swingweight a bit.
Does anyone else have any experience customizing their LM? Any advice would be great.

NoBadMojo
01-05-2005, 08:25 AM
adding lead in the handle will not lower the swingweight, it will increase the swingweight. you can not lower swingweight by adding weight. it will, however, make your setup more headlight.

ferrari_827
01-05-2005, 08:28 AM
I bought a LM Prestige Mid and felt the swingweight was on the high side and needing more mass in the head. The IPrestige is better balanced and more maneuverable, but the LM has the edge in comfort for sure despite the weight, and you don't have to swing nearly as fast as the IPrestige for power.

BLiND
01-05-2005, 10:08 AM
The only way to reduce swingweight on the Prestige racquets, is to remove the CAPS gromits... apparently these wight 20-30g so I hear. Appart from that I agree with everything you say... the i.prestige are a little better balanced, but I don't have any problem with the swingweights personally.

b.
01-05-2005, 10:46 AM
PurePerstige,

I did, and several "classic" Prestige players did. They got used to their racquets, I was in a bad shape.

You have two main options to change situation:

a) adding lead under the butt cap. I tried, LM did seem to be easier to swing around, but I didn't like overall feel. It was awkward to me. You can remove lead if you don't like it without any scars left.

b) removing bumper parts of CAP grommet. It would be good to have spare CAPs, in case you don't like the outcome. If you try this - do it gradually. First cut off most redundant parts of bumper - close to throat. Only if you find it doesn't suffice, go further. Leave the grommet stripe that goes into the racquet groove untouched! Just cut outer "wings". You can do it so that grommet width increases gradually from narrow to full CAPs width. It will look less "ersatz".

I have tried both. Nothing misterious didn't happen - swingweight did go down, racquet remained stable for my taste. Power changend a bit, but again to my liking: I can swing faster, and I can hit more gently when needed.

Spare CAPs are about $5, so If you like the stick in general, it's worth to try customizing. (Truth to be told I'm considering getting CAPs back.)

ferrari_827
01-05-2005, 10:59 AM
b., I think cutting out the grommets is very difficult and tricky, and will end up looking like a total mess no matter what. What do you use, scissors ???

Actually, I think the CAP grommet is overdone on the LM Prestige mid, it extends further around the hoop than the IPrestige. Compare this to the economical grommet design of the RDXmid.

The LM Prestige mid is a very good racket, but the flaws are it's a bit too heavy and not quite stiff enough. I prefer the IPrestige, but it is very stiff and has a smaller sweetspot.

b.
01-05-2005, 11:09 AM
ferrari,
"...it extends further around the hoop than the IPrestige...."
that is what I like to hear! Are iPrestige grommets any lighter? Just a bit? Interchangable LM <-> i. ?

If they are - that is what I'm going to put on LM. I read about Radical's grommets, but there is no mid size...

I used blade, than small scissors, and was about to use my teeth at the end. It is tricky to make it tidy looking.

Flatspin
01-05-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't see it. I've hit with the LM Prestige and found the increased weight hardly noticeable. If you have hit with the i Prestige ...... you will become accustomed to the slight increase in weight in short order. Also, I do not find the sweet spot larger in the LM Prestige as compared to the i Prestige. I did fine the sweet spot a little higher in the hoop. One shouldn't say that a racquet is flawed by to much weight. It's not a flaw ... it's an intentional characteristic. For many the weight may seem objectional but for many ....... they will love it. I like the cap system just as it is .... perfect.

PurePrestige
01-06-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't really know what it is exactly. I guess balls seem lower powered when I am off center or reaching for a ball than they were with the i.Prestige. Maybe it was because i was able to muscle the ball with the i.Prestige like it was a tweener, but this I finally have to use it like a players racquet.

It makes me wonder though, is it possible by making my racquet more headlight to get back to the head speed which I like rather than having to adjust my swing with the heavier LM because the LM makes my serves, volleys, and backhand unquestionably better and comfortable.

Flatspin
01-06-2005, 05:10 PM
I am a die-hard i Prestige fan. I've played with the i Prestige for about 3 years. I try to stay open minded and decided to try the LM Prestige mid. I found the LM an over-all great frame. However, I found that after spending a good amount of time with the LM I actually preferred the i Prestige. So my question is this .... why change? For me and many others, the i Prestige mid is the choice between the two. The LM would be my second choice. There are many that prefer the LM. Like they say "different strokes for different folk!" :)

sm-2004
01-06-2005, 07:04 PM
I switched to i.Prestige Mid 3 month ago from Yonex RD Ti 80, then I bought LM Prestige Mid. And what is interesting - I agree with Flatspin on 100%, even though 3 month is not 3 years. It is like he described my feelings about those racquets. But I still believe that I can find a proper string tension, which makes LM play better, because I found it much easier on my elbow then i.