PDA

View Full Version : What exactly does 2 pts head light mean in terms of wt?

Robert Jones
03-23-2004, 01:26 PM
When a stick is said to be so many pts head heavy or light do they mean grams? If so does it mean that a 2 pt head light stick would need 2 grams at the bottom of the handle to make it even balance?

Also is it assumed that the point of measurement using a balance beam is the geometric center of the stick? ie. if the stick were 2 foot long you would put the stick on a balance at exactly 1 foot from the top. If it balances its said to be even. If the head goes down its said to be head heavy?

Thanks!

Anonymous
03-23-2004, 02:32 PM
From TWs Learning Center:

Balance: Static measure of weight distribution in a racquet and measured from the butt end in inches and/or centimeters. Commonly referenced in "points" head light or head heavy - each "point" represents 1/8 inch. Generally speaking, heavier racquets are head light to maintain maneuverability, while most of today's super-light racquets are head heavy to supply enough mass (which translates into power) to the area of the frame where the ball is being contacted. A 27 inch racquet with a balance point of 12-1/2 inches is 1 inch, or 8 points head light (even balance would be 13-1/2 inches). A 28 inch racquet with a balance point of 15 inches is 1 inch (or 8 points) head heavy. Static balance ultimately affects swingweight (see below), which is a dynamic measure of racquet maneuverability.

Gaines Hillix
03-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Robert, you have the right idea, but as Salman's post says, each point is 1/8 inch, not grams. It is measured from the mid-point of the racquet. You just measure the distance from the mid-point to the balance point and each 1/8" is 1 point. If the balance point is on the head side of the mid-point, the racquet is head heavy and visa versa.

Robert Jones
03-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the information guys. I was a physics major so I like to try to understand what all the terminolgy means and how/why strings/frames work.

When I was young I could care less about strings, weight etc. I just gripped it and ripped it. Now that I'm 43 I want to use my smarts to make up for what my body can't do anymore :)

I may not play as well but I think I will end up knowing more about the technology than the people I want to play like.

Robert Jones
03-24-2004, 12:54 PM
The more I figure out why certain combos of string tension and frames work together the more I think that some people end up changing their game to the needs of the racquet.

Point: We have a few guys in our league that are pure junk ball players. They are very very good at it as they are good athletes but have a style that can only take them so far. They don't have a real forehand or backhand. They either backspin the ball or sort take a short stabbing punch at the ball.

I wondered how they learned to play like that. Well I tried their racquets and found they all have one thing in common. Cheap racquets bought off the shelf pre strung with tons of power. I could hardly keep the ball in play with them.

I think they just found a way to keep the ball in play by adjusting their strokes to make it work for them The result an unorthodox style that is effective maybe up to a 4.0 level.

I think I got lucky as all my racquets had no power. My first one was a cheap metal used one that I got in a garage sale as a kid. the strings probably were 6 years old. I had to swing pretty hard to get any pace off it. But I think it helped me in the long run.

Sometime In collage I saw some rackets that were50% off. I purchased two, one for me one for my girlfriend. At the time I thought high power was going to be the key to a good frame. So I purchased the most powerful one they had and picked up a low powered (in my mind ladies model) for my girlfriend. Guess what happened. I tried for 4 weeks to get use to the power stick. I never did, I ended up using her racquet and she used the power racquet.

I think tweener and higher powered frames are not good for beginners. I'm starting to think that people should just get a players stick and learn to hit it.