PDA

View Full Version : Rating Please

tennisplayer1981
04-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Rearview playing points: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UQJ2z3gSpxQ

Front view rallying: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8MhrkSPX0xU

Sweet 1HBH backhand. :)

I'm talking about white shirt in 1st vid and white pants in 2nd vid.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 06:52 AM

Boojay does not want to be rated. He mentioned this specifically. Boojay does like nicknames however so I'll rate him a biscuit, banana face.

tennisplayer1981
04-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Boojay does not want to be rated. He mentioned this specifically. Boojay does like nicknames however so I'll rate him a biscuit, banana face.

Oh I had no idea it was him. My bad. Please accept my apologies Boojay.

Anyway, he seems to be a solid player, so I'll leave it at that.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 07:45 AM

Probably 3.5 to 4.0. Your footwork is poor and your movement to the ball doesn't really take place until the ball is well over the net on your side. Improve that and your strokes will improve. Keep a consistent stroke on the forehand. You were spraying a lot.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Probably 3.5 to 4.0. Your footwork is poor and your movement to the ball doesn't really take place until the ball is well over the net on your side. Improve that and your strokes will improve. Keep a consistent stroke on the forehand. You were spraying a lot.

That's not tp1981, that's boojay in the clip.

boojay's thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=178251)

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 08:31 AM
That's not tp1981, that's boojay in the clip.

boojay's thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=178251)

(TW Coaching Wannabees) BB what would you rate this guy?

(BB) 3.5 to 4.0.

(TW Coaching Wannabees) Are you sure, this guy jumped over the Empire State building in a single bound? He runs faster than a speeding locomotive?

(BB) 3.5 - 4.0

(TW Coaching Wannabees) BB, is that your final answer?

(BB) That's my final answer...

boojay
04-03-2008, 11:20 AM
No worries, TP81. As Rickerson Biscuit had mentioned, I don't really care what my NTRP is. It's nice to know, sure, but in the long run, I only care about improving.

Ah, and the infamous BB, with whom so many have had rifts with; I have nothing against you. I respect all rational comments, even harsh ones. I recall from a previous encounter we had that I had said I respected your opinion despite your approach to delivering it. You had said that you weren't going to sugar coat anything as that's the way you teach and that's how you push people to reach their potential, which is completely fine, I understand that, even admire it to a certain degree.

I do, however, have to question your integrity. If all it takes for you to change your "objective" opinion (and I use objective loosely in your case) about someone is a comment here or there that you don't agree with, that raises a red flag, in my opinion, as to how valid your comments truly are.

Case-in-point, your assessment of me after seeing a really old video of mine ages ago when I was nowhere near the level I was compared to the videos previously posted in this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1651577&postcount=28

Your re-assessment of the SAME footage after I said a few things that happen to rub you the wrong way:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1654067&postcount=57

Versus, of course, your assessment now on the more recent videos in this thread:

(BB) 3.5 to 4.0.

(TW Coaching Wannabees) Are you sure, this guy jumped over the Empire State building in a single bound? He runs faster than a speeding locomotive?

(BB) 3.5 - 4.0

I may or may not reply to your next post (if you decide to, I honestly wouldn't give it another thought if you didn't, but I figured I'd give you an opportunity to defend yourself), depending on how you go about it. That's not to say I'm easily offended or even affected all that much by what you say, but I don't need to waste my breath on cynical/sarcastic posts from someone who has no idea about who I am or my work ethic, particularly someone who thinks he's certified to even judge such a quality from a youtube video. If you ask me, however, your credibility certainly dropped a few points based on the evidence I've provided, and I'd be disappointed about it.

And back to TP81, here's my most recent video, although I had mentioned in my reply to your email that even this isn't an accurate representation of myself anymore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NlVGcMOboU

I improve everyday, every week, and every month, and that's why I keep playing.

iamke55
04-03-2008, 11:52 AM
The fact that you can maintain a 20 stroke rally without going into pusher mode is a good enough reason to say 4.5 range, unless you spent hours trying to make that one rally to put on video. It also doesn't hurt that all of your non-volleying shots look extremely similar to Federer's, which wins huge brownie points with the TT Tips/Instruction forums.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
The fact that you can maintain a 20 stroke rally without going into pusher mode is a good enough reason to say 4.5 range, unless you spent hours trying to make that one rally to put on video. It also doesn't hurt that all of your non-volleying shots look extremely similar to Federer's, which wins huge brownie points with the TT Tips/Instruction forums.

Are you kidding? Federer is banana face biscuit boojay's hero.

WBF
04-03-2008, 12:01 PM
BB seems to be on an amusing rating streak. My favorite was his rating of this talented player (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2092777&postcount=97).

Rickson
04-03-2008, 12:09 PM
BB seems to be on an amusing rating streak. My favorite was his rating of ******** (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2092777&postcount=97).

What is blankety blank's actual rating?

tennispro11
04-03-2008, 12:10 PM

(BB) 3.5 to 4.0.

(BB) 3.5 - 4.0

Your a joke. Plain and simple. If you teach your students the way you treat people on here, I would never, ever let you near anyone I know. I won't ever take what you say seriously, ever.

T

hotseat
04-03-2008, 12:13 PM
low to mid ranged 4.0 player in my opinion. you have some really solid foundations, but like some have mentioned, really need some help on your footwork. your volleys were hard to watch, but I think the footwork issue had a big part on that as well when you sent a few floaters long. nice looking strokes when the ball is in your strike zone, though. keep up the good work!

WBF
04-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Editted his name out, assuming it shouldn't matter, but just in case...

Rickson, according to that thread he is a computer rated 5.5, or a 6.0 according to the official USTA NTRP guidelines.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Editted his name out, assuming it shouldn't matter, but just in case...

Rickson, according to that thread he is a computer rated 5.5, or a 6.0 according to the official USTA NTRP guidelines.

Guidelines or does that guy actually play in 5.5-6.0 tournaments?

BTW, do you want me to edit his name as well?

Why are we editing his name?

split-step
04-03-2008, 12:20 PM
I like your forehand Boojay. Couldn't care less that it looks federer-esque. What I really like about it is your timing, which is very good on the most recent video you posted. (even with all the unnecessary jumping :razz:)
You adjusted to the slice, high ball and med topspin drive well.

I'm not really fond of how the backhand looks, but that is my only main gripe with it. timing is good as well and you are consistent with it. Even on the half-volley baseline pick-ups so kudos.

Your partner's strokes are really good. I enjoyed watching him play at baseline and at net.
I thought it was funny that your 2hbh partner had a good slice and sliced more than you did.

WBF
04-03-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't know, felt weird posting his name :p

As in,

The player .. which I wont name.. has a USTA rating of 5.5 . He has won national tournaments at the 30 and 35 age group, played pro for a little bit and was on the cover of Tennis Magazine.

split-step
04-03-2008, 12:22 PM
BTW your comments were HILARIOUS!

Rickson
I like your forehand Boojay. Couldn't care less that it looks federer-esque. What I really like about it is your timing, which is very good on the most recent video you posted. (even with all the unnecessary jumping :razz:)
You adjusted to the slice, high ball and med topspin drive well.

Uh Oh! Boolio's got a fan!

princess bossass
And back to TP81, here's my most recent video, although I had mentioned in my reply to your email that even this isn't an accurate representation of myself anymore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NlVGcMOboU

I dig the self-mocking captions in the video. My favorite: "TENNIS IS HARD". Tee hee. So true, so true.

split-step
04-03-2008, 12:28 PM
BB seems to be on an amusing rating streak. My favorite was his rating of this talented player (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2092777&postcount=97).

To be fair to BB, it isn't immediately apparent that said person is a 5.5 player from the very short clips provided.

This is why you can't tell rating based on a clip. You can tell based on a clip of someone playing against a rated player.
Relative rating™, I already trademarked it, thank you very much.

mmeyer1
04-03-2008, 12:35 PM
tennispro11, I wouldn't get too worked up over that guy he knows how to push people's buttons and most likely has no real tennis experience.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Dude, you just opened up a can of worms.

mmeyer1
04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Its all good, it needed to be said

Rickson
04-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Its all good, it needed to be said

Edited post.

mmeyer1
04-03-2008, 12:49 PM
I will make a new thread when I get back, I have a sneaking suspicion about the guy and I plan on getting to the bottom of it. Believe me Rickson, cans will be crushed and worms will cover the boards. :]

Rickson
04-03-2008, 12:52 PM
I will make a new thread when I get back, I have a sneaking suspicion about the guy and I plan on getting to the bottom of it. Believe me Rickson, cans will be crushed and worms will cover the boards. :]

Let this one go, meyer. He may be hardcore, but he helps a lot of posters too.

tennispro11
04-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Let this one go, meyer. He may be hardcore, but he helps a lot of posters too.

I don't really care if he helps or not. As a teaching pro and a coach, I cannot believe he says what he says and people listen to him. As far as I am concerned Bungalo Bill is a joke.

T

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 01:54 PM
tennispro11, I wouldn't get too worked up over that guy he knows how to push people's buttons and most likely has no real tennis experience.

LOL, hilarious.

Pushmaster
04-03-2008, 01:54 PM
^^ I'd rather have a coach that's tough on me than one that coddles me, that's the best way to help motivate a player to improve IMO. Honesty is always the best policy, at least you know were you stand.

Back to the topic. Boojays strokes are pretty, but they also look like could break down in a match against a good player that hits corner to corner. BB is right about the late preparation, but fortunately he has very quick hands to make up for it to a degree. You (Boojay) should already have your racquet back right before your opponent strikes the ball, this will give you more time to adjust to anything coming your way. I'd rate you at a 4.0, but I'd say you still have alot of room for improvement in regards to the basics (don't we all).

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't really care if he helps or not. As a teaching pro and a coach, I cannot believe he says what he says and people listen to him. As far as I am concerned Bungalo Bill is a joke.

T

Ahhhh, poor baby. Do you need a tissue? But I bet you read everything you can on my posts about technique. Come on admit it. Come on...lol

tennispro11
04-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Ahhhh, poor baby. Do you need a tissue? But I bet you read everything you can on my posts about technique. Come on admit it. Come on...lol

No, I stopped reading your posts after you made a complete #ss of yourself. Needless to say, it didn't take long for me to stop.

T

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Ah, and the infamous BB, with whom so many have had rifts with; I have nothing against you. I respect all rational comments, even harsh ones. I recall from a previous encounter we had that I had said I respected your opinion despite your approach to delivering it. You had said that you weren't going to sugar coat anything as that's the way you teach and that's how you push people to reach their potential, which is completely fine, I understand that, even admire it to a certain degree.

Yeah, right.

I do, however, have to question your integrity. If all it takes for you to change your "objective" opinion (and I use objective loosely in your case) about someone is a comment here or there that you don't agree with, that raises a red flag, in my opinion, as to how valid your comments truly are.

Really, well too bad. I give my opinion based on what you put up. I could careless about your excuses.

Case-in-point, your assessment of me after seeing a really old video of mine ages ago when I was nowhere near the level I was compared to the videos previously posted in this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1651577&postcount=28

Your re-assessment of the SAME footage after I said a few things that happen to rub you the wrong way:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1654067&postcount=57

Versus, of course, your assessment now on the more recent videos in this thread:

When are you going to learn. I assess you based on what you provide. I could careless about your "reasoning", your hurt feelings, or anything else. When are you going to get that through your head? It is what it is, I am not going to change my opinion based on someone challenging me. If you post video that requires me to change my analysis or rating, I will change my analysis. It is as simple as that. If you are wrong, I will point out WHY you are wrong.

The trouble is when I point out people are wrong, they get all bent out of shape and start to defend their lousey position. However, no one ever says anything when I admit I am wrong, what about those times? Am I being fair when someone says I am wrong and actually proves it?

Very few people on this board know what they are talking about in tennis technique on this board. And some that do cant write or explain themselves worth a darn.

I may or may not reply to your next post (if you decide to, I honestly wouldn't give it another thought if you didn't, but I figured I'd give you an opportunity to defend yourself), depending on how you go about it. That's not to say I'm easily offended or even affected all that much by what you say, but I don't need to waste my breath on cynical/sarcastic posts from someone who has no idea about who I am or my work ethic, particularly someone who thinks he's certified to even judge such a quality from a youtube video. If you ask me, however, your credibility certainly dropped a few points based on the evidence I've provided, and I'd be disappointed about it.

Dude, please wake up. This is a board that allows people to express their opinions good or bad. If I was looking for credibility or integrity, I wouldnt be here and would be on the courts sweet-talking everyone while taking their money.

Have you paid me for all the tips I have provided? Has anyone? give me a break. I am going to be as honest and upfront (sometimes blunt) as I can. There is no smoke. If your footwork sucks, it sucks. If your man enough to take it, then I will provide you with ways on how to fix it. If you cry about it, we argue. It is really that simple.

And bottom-line? Yes, I do know what I am talking about.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 02:08 PM
No, I stopped reading your posts after you made a complete #ss of yourself. Needless to say, it didn't take long for me to stop.

T

Good, then I wont hear from you again.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 02:10 PM

LOL, very funny.

mmeyer1
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
whats funnier is your false sense of superiority over the others on this board.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 02:42 PM
whats funnier is your false sense of superiority over the others on this board.

Yeah, okay. You still mad about the rating I gave you? Get over it dude. It is what it is. lol

mmeyer1
04-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Dude just admit it, your not a former coach, your just like everyone else here, except you lack the cajones to post a video

mmeyer1
04-03-2008, 02:46 PM
And I could care less about your "rating" I already have a USTA rating, and I never even asked to be rated in the first place

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 02:54 PM
And I could care less about your "rating" I already have a USTA rating, and I never even asked to be rated in the first place

I dont have a rating. I would be rated too high compared to where I think I am at right now. And the effort I would have ot put into the game would take too much time away from my schooling and family. It isn't worth it for me anymore.

Let's just say we end our conversations as enemies. I think that will at least bring back order to the community. I dont like you and you don't like me. Can we say fair enough and move on?

Keep in mind though whatever you post, I will read it and critique or comment accordingly as I am sure you will as well.

Fair enough?

tennispro11
04-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Good, then I wont hear from you again.

I wouldn't say that.

T

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't say that.

T

Then the games begin.

boojay
04-03-2008, 03:15 PM
BB, you're so funny <bungalo bill>ROTFLMAO!!!,</bungalo bill>. You make it easier and easier for me to dismiss what you have to say. I was one of the few people who actually took your posts seriously, but it doesn't help when most of what you have to say is a joke these days. Sounds to me like you're the defensive one who needs to be coddled and is constantly making excuses. Which is fine, I'm pretty good at playing that game too, as you say. Mind you, I don't have as much free time as you do, so you have me beat there.

WBF
04-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I think Bill often has some good input, he's just cantankerous occasionally and tends to be overly critical on ratings.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 03:29 PM
BB, you're so funny <bungalo bill>ROTFLMAO!!!,</bungalo bill>. You make it easier and easier for me to dismiss what you have to say. I was one of the few people who actually took your posts seriously, but it doesn't help when most of what you have to say is a joke these days. Sounds to me like you're the defensive one who needs to be coddled and is constantly making excuses. Which is fine, I'm pretty good at playing that game too, as you say. Mind you, I don't have as much free time as you do, so you have me beat there.

Ahhh, I guess you didnt like my rating or critique of you. :)

boojay
04-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Ahhh, I guess you didnt like my rating or critique of you. :)

Or maybe you didn't like my critique of you? Pretty sure that's it, Bill.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I think Bill often has some good input, he's just cantankerous occasionally and tends to be overly critical on ratings.

Well I can agree with part of your post. But overly critical on ratings? lol

I grew up in San Clemente, CA. I was good enough to go to college and play for a brief moment before I got burned-out on tennis.

I later came back and completed the USPTA exam in So. Cal. This may not be saying much to a lot of people, but the pros that were grading strokes weren't slouches. They could tell if your strokes were "educated".

I had good enough strokes to teach at Vic Braden's Tennis College for awhile with excellent tennis knowledge especially for those in the 3.5 to 5.0 range. This is my speciality. I also filled in for other coaches throughout So. Cal. I have seen a ton of players over the years.

So. Cal tournaments are highly competitive. I rate you according to how you would do in Southern California. Period.

If someone was telling a player that they were higher and they believed it, I could care less. It is what it is and my rating is my rating.

tennisplayer1981
04-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Well from what I saw in the vids I posted, I have great admiration to you game because simply put- it's better than mine. And as for the new video, fantastic. Continue the great work and much success to you in the future.

WBF
04-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Well I can agree with part of your post. But overly critical on ratings? lol

I grew up in San Clemente, CA. I was good enough to go to college and play for a brief moment before I got burned-out on tennis.

I later came back and completed the USPTA exam in So. Cal. This may not be saying much to a lot of people, but the pros that were grading strokes weren't slouches. They could tell if your strokes were "educated".

I had good enough strokes to teach at Vic Braden's Tennis College for awhile with excellent tennis knowledge especially for those in the 3.5 to 5.0 range. This is my speciality. I also filled in for other coaches throughout So. Cal. I have seen a ton of players over the years.

So. Cal tournaments are highly competitive. I rate you according to how you would do in Southern California. Period.

If someone was telling a player that they were higher and they believed it, I could care less. It is what it is and my rating is my rating.

I don't doubt your expertise, you seem to have a very deep knowledge of the game, and I usually find myself agreeing with you (or just having no knowledge on the topic myself). It just seems that you can be a bit conservative when rating videos, pointing out small issues which would probably wouldn't result in problems at the levels under discussion. Do you not think a 5.0 player could tool most 4.0's and some 4.5's while engaging in what we would all consider disgusting footwork and preparation? Does a 4.0 really need good footwork rather than a little speed and maybe quick reaction times?

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't doubt your expertise, you seem to have a very deep knowledge of the game, and I usually find myself agreeing with you (or just having no knowledge on the topic myself). It just seems that you can be a bit conservative when rating videos, pointing out small issues which would probably wouldn't result in problems at the levels under discussion.

Well I guess I can say the same the other way around. I think people are handing out higher ratings like water. I dont do that. I rate it based on what I know and what I have seen. My rating will always seem conservative especially when players are making excuses and not showing their best.

Do you not think a 5.0 player could tool most 4.0's and some 4.5's while engaging in what we would all consider disgusting footwork and preparation?

Sort of a trick question. It would depend on the footwork of a "4.5" player. Maybe the rated 4.5 player in my book would really be a 4.0 player. I can't answer this question because all things aren't equal. A 5.0 player by definition has good footwork and so should be able to school a 4.0 player.

Just because they have good looking strokes and lousey footwork does not mean they are 5.0.

Does a 4.0 really need good footwork rather than a little speed and maybe quick reaction times?

All players need to work on their footwork. Footwork is essential as you move up the ladder. If you want to rate a player a 4.5 and have your reasons and I want to rate the player a 4.0 and have my reasons why would that matte to you?

You should respect another coaches viewpoint. I see things you dont see and vice versa. It is all a craps shot anyway until the person actually competes.

Up here in Boise, they rate people 4.5's then I say these people are good 4.0's. They get mad, head down to So. Cal and get killed by 4.5's. Is it my fault that I said they were 4.0's? Is it wrong or forbidden to say what I think?

It may not be popular but I am not in this for popularity.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I agree with a lot of the tennis stuff that BB cares to contribute. As mentioned, I believe he does have the goods to back it up.

However, BB's (board) personality can get annoying rather fast. He also seems to find the wrong...like earlier in this thread, people have complimented BB, and he has always found the negative or become severely sarcastic.

EDIT: Read your post, like that you don't care about popularity...
Would like to meet you in real life, seem quite reasonable and intelligent...

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 04:27 PM
I agree with a lot of the tennis stuff that BB cares to contribute. As mentioned, I believe he does have the goods to back it up.

However, BB's (board) personality can get annoying rather fast. He also seems to find the wrong...like earlier in this thread, people have complimented BB, and he has always found the negative or become severely sarcastic.

EDIT: Read your post, like that you don't care about popularity...
Would like to meet you in real life, seem quite reasonable and intelligent...

LOL, if you look at my responses they are mostly to mythical tennis sayings that lead people down a wrong path. It is up to you if you want to follow the conversation. The person who posted the myth or misleading comments easily becomes offended and the debate ensues.

Why is it that my ratings are the most critiqued? Do you want me to start rating people higher so people can be happy? Is it only my posts that get criticized? What about the other responder I am dealing with? Is it fair to say that their posts are innocent?

People get offended on these boards because they dont hear what they want to hear. Yes, everyone here has their personality. Everyone here gets passionate in their conversations. I get energized on heated conversations as this keeps me sharp and helps me gather evidence to make sure I can prove it.

I am insulted all the time! However, I dont hear a whole lot of people jumping into defend? I dont hear an argument for all the positive posts I have conributed. Just the negative ones and the negative ones is because I am talkng to a thickheaded person that doesnt want to admit they are wrong about their tips.

I provide sound advice and sometimes the truth hurts.

AlpineCadet
04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Yeah, right.

Really, well too bad. I give my opinion based on what you put up. I could carelessabout your excuses.

When are you going to learn. I assess you based on what you provide. I could carelessabout your "reasoning", your hurt feelings, or anything else. When are you going to get that through your head? It is what it is, I am not going to change my opinion based on someone challenging me. If you post video that requires me to change my analysis or rating, I will change my analysis. It is as simple as that. If you are wrong, I will point out WHY you are wrong.

The trouble is when I point out people are wrong, they get all bent out of shape and start to defend their lousey position. However, no one ever says anything when I admit I am wrong, what about those times? Am I being fair when someone says I am wrong and actually proves it?

Very few people on this board know what they are talking about in tennis technique on this board. And some that do cant write or explain themselves worth a darn.

Dude, please wake up. This is a board that allows people to express their opinions good or bad. If I was looking for credibility or integrity, I wouldnt be here and would be on the courts sweet-talking everyone while taking their money.

Have you paid me for all the tips I have provided? Has anyone? give me a break. I am going to be as honest and upfront (sometimes blunt) as I can. There is no smoke. If your footwork sucks, it sucks. If your man enough to take it, then I will provide you with ways on how to fix it. If you cry about it, we argue. It is really that simple.

And bottom-line? Yes, I do know what I am talking about.

FYI: Boojay could probably care less about your careless remarks.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Why can't you clowns take anything like a man? BB insults me all the time. You know what I do? I laugh it off. This is a message board. Why are you actually getting hurt by this stuff? BB and I get along just fine because I don't get all sensitive. Jeez!

comment about backhand (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2053517#post2053517)

another backhand comment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2103303&highlight=post2103303)

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 04:38 PM
FYI: Boojay could probably care less about your careless remarks.

Perfect! That is exactly what I want.

AlpineCadet
04-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Why can't you clowns take anything like a man? BB insults me all the time. You know what I do? I laugh it off. This is a message board. Why are you actually getting hurt by this stuff? BB and I get along just fine because I don't get all sensitive. Jeez!

comment about backhand (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2053517#post2053517)

another backhand comment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2103303&highlight=post2103303)

Come on Rickson, those aren't even insults! :lol:

Perfect! That is exactly what I want.

You missed what I was trying to say.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 04:41 PM

You missed what I was trying to say.

Actually, I got it. But it is what I like.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM

There you go. Glad I could make you laugh.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM

LOL, to think this all started because I didnt provide the "rating" they wanted to hear.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 04:45 PM
LOL, to think this all started because I didnt provide the "rating" they wanted to hear.

Listen, Bill. I'm starting to get really upset about those comments on my backhand...

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Listen, Bill. I'm starting to get really upset about those comments on my backhand...

Well take this...this is what started the war here. Here is my comment to the video poster....post #4, it went downhill from there. ;)

Geee, I was really insulting, poor little Boojay. Rickson, just keep trying to hit that little panzy onehander and quit butting in. :)

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Or maybe you didn't like my critique of you? Pretty sure that's it, Bill.

Yeah that was it.

boojay
04-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Once again, you are a riot, BB. You're taking this far too seriously if you would go so far as to call this a "war". To me, this is mindless banter.

I am insulted all the time! However, I dont hear a whole lot of people jumping into defend?

Awww....does someone need a shoulder to cry on? :) Take your own advice and suck it up.

You keep saying that you rate or make critiques (<----once again, used loosely in your case) that people don't agree with, hence, that's why you get attacked by them. Wrong again. People (myself included) don't care what you rate them, even if your advice is valid (which is questionable now as far as I'm concerned), it's how you go about it. You're a pr|ck (this is the truth, I'm not saying it for the sake of insulting you; I could come up with worse comments), and THAT'S why people attack you. That said, you can continue to behave as you wish. Just know that I (and likely others) will treat you in the same way. Do I care if you care? No.

Out of curiosity though, BB, you're a FORMER USPTA Teaching Professional, right? So were you fired or did your students stage a mutiny against you? Either way, it's a relief to hear you aren't personally teaching kids anymore.

boojay
04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah that was it.

I expected a better response than that.

AlpineCadet
04-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Out of curiosity though, BB, you're a FORMER USPTA Teaching Professional, right? So were you fired or did your students stage a mutiny against you? Either way, it's a relief to hear you aren't personally teaching kids anymore.

He's just bitter and has probably got a few chips on his shoulder. It's obvious. :oops:

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Awww....does someone need a shoulder to cry on? :) Take your own advice and suck it up.

Sniff, sniff, yeah I do.

You keep saying that you rate or make critiques (<----once again, used loosely in your case) that people don't agree with, hence, that's why you get attacked by them. Wrong again. People (myself included) don't care what you rate them, even if your advice is valid (which is questionable now as far as I'm concerned), it's how you go about it.

How do you know it is questionable? Because I didnt rate you as you wanted? LOL

You're a pr|ck (this is the truth, I'm not saying it for the sake of insulting you; I could come up with worse comments), and THAT'S why people attack you.

Oh now that is insulting. Sorry for rating you less then you think you are. Your footwork still needs work.

That said, you can continue to behave as you wish. Just know that I (and likely others) will treat you in the same way. Do I care if you care? No.

Good! Can't wait.

Actually, my students loved me. I had a waiting list because I was a no nonsense coach that was deeply into improving the player rather then making a buck. I had wieghing scales, eating programs, goals, and went to matches (when I could) to critique their match play. I didnt hang out all day but wanted a little information so I coud bring it to practice.

I also worked their butts off. The trouble was, I didnt beleive in charging that much for my practices (they werent lessons) and yes I was hard on them. Some, cried and quit like you would, others loved it and got better quickly. They paid a price though.

In the end though, I developed knee problems and back problems and the sun was causing my lips to blister no matter how much sun block I put on. The doctor said I was on my way in getting skin cancer, so trying to support three kids and now dealing with the health issues I was forced to quit.

Still though this doesnt change anything, your footwork is still lazy. This also doesnt change the fact that some players may like a coach like me. I would never pull punches. I may be a little harsh but I am also truthful.

smoothtennis
04-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Bungalow Billie said:

am insulted all the time! However, I dont hear a whole lot of people jumping into defend? I dont hear an argument for all the positive posts I have conributed. Just the negative ones and the negative ones is because I am talkng to a thickheaded person that doesnt want to admit they are wrong about their tips.

Ah, c'mon BB, just chill out. I read positive stuff people say about you all the time, so cut the 'woe is me' line, you don't need it. It's not true.

Truth is, you offer a lot of sound advice, have a great eye for technique, and a way to communicate it. And, from where I sit, you know...you are just rude sometimes with your lack of tact. Some people have lazy footwork, and some people who communicate have lazy communication and social skills. Your social skills are lazy bro. You have no tact. :mrgreen:

But you knew that. I admit, I cringe half the time reading your stuff, but I don't read everybody's stuff then either---just what's worth reading usually.

See, I come from a background in education myself, and I use more tact than you, because as a farmer, I like that soil to be fertile before I plant the seed, so it has a chance to grow. I don't want to put the seed on hard ground, and stomp it into the ground, LOL. See?

But I 'ain't changing your mind, not trying to. Just admit, that people, including myself, say good things about you. C'mon, take your medicine.

Hot Sauce
04-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Bill singlehandedly beat the Bryan brothers in an 11 set match.

mmeyer1
04-03-2008, 05:43 PM
It's got nothing to do with you giving bad "ratings" to people.

Now I know you are going to bring bring up how I was being overly sensitive to your comments on my footwork, but if you look back on it, I made a joke out of it and tried to move on, but you persisted and called me a smart@ss. I was going to just let it go as some troll who can't take a joke, but after reading more of your posts, you were actually serious and I just couldn't believe it.

Bottom line here is, Bill you are nothing more than a tennis forum troll who has successfully deceived the other posters of this board into believing that you once were a true tennis authority. I'm just surprised no one has called you out sooner.

Countless people on this forum "man up" by putting their videos up for all to see and to criticize, yet the almighty former tennis instructor you claim to be has yet to do so.

Why not? I mean you still have job to support your family and kid(s) right? Surely you can afford a video camera, so the excuse for not being able to afford one is out. We all know you have plenty of time to take a video of yourself, otherwise yo wouldn't be able to have almost 8000 posts (some long ones too!) on this forum, so thats out.

So Bill, what is the deal?

Your credibility is lacking, although I admit you have extensive knowledge of tennis strokes and strategy which you could have easily acquired from tennis books and websites.

Bill I know you probably helped a good deal of people on this forum and cheers to that, but don't take us all for fools. Now is the time for you to be a man and post a video or some proof of your credentials, or admit to being a mere tennis enthusiast like the rest of us, and still maintain some dignity.

mmeyer1
04-03-2008, 05:51 PM
At this point Bill, nothing short of a video, legit credentials or a confession is needed.

azn_tomato
04-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Ah shut up mmeyer, you're just ****ed about the rating he gave you.
Seriously.

Welcome to the internet.

AlpineCadet
04-03-2008, 05:55 PM
azn_tomato, you're comment is rated as a 1.0 ntrp.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Bottom line here is, Bill you are nothing more than a tennis forum troll who has successfully deceived the other posters of this board into believing that you once were a true tennis authority. I'm just surprised no one has called you out sooner.

Well I dont want to decieve anyone. I have coached tennis and yes I have coached at Bradens tennis college. However, I am hardly a tennis authority. I know Yandell wanted to help me but tennis as a job is not my interest anymore. Is there a problem with that?

I happen to be a poster here that knows a bit more then many people on this board. If you think anything more then that, that is something YOU made up.

Countless people on this forum "man up" by putting their videos up for all to see and to criticize, yet the almighty former tennis instructor you claim to be has yet to do so.

Again, I was a tennis instructor and have been involved in the sport for a long long time. I do know something about tennis and have helped a ton of people here. However, I am a poster here with as much right to my opinion as you do.

Why not? I mean you still have job to support your family and kid(s) right? Surely you can afford a video camera, so the excuse for not being able to afford one is out. We all know you have plenty of time to take a video of yourself, otherwise yo wouldn't be able to have almost 8000 posts (some long ones too!) on this forum, so thats out.

So Bill, what is the deal?

Well mainly because I dont play as much as I used to. I dont go running out to my coach and say "oh yeah, well let's see you do it". If I played football for the Miami Dolphins and the Tuna said I sucked, I wouldn't say, "oh yeah, well let's see you run the 40 in 5 seconds."

And if I did post my videos what does that do? Does that change your opinion of me? Do you know you have to have decent strokes preferrably at the 4.5 level in So. Cal to be a USPTA coach (or at least in my neck of the woods)? You just cant walk on the court and pass the strokes exam without having something. I guess a credential doesnt matter to you or maybe you think I am lying about it.

I am an x-coach and I expect those interested in playing better to seek the knowledge they need to become better.

You are the one that wants to improve, I dont. I have done my share, I have passed the USPTA exam, you haven't.

Am I suppose to be tested by you for something? You cant take criticism? My comments on your stroke stands.

Your credibility is lacking, although I admit you have extensive knowledge of tennis strokes and strategy which you could have easily acquired from tennis books and websites.

What? My credibility? For what? Here? LOL! I am a poster and simply know more then you. The problem is you speak out of both sides of you mouth, you say that my credibility is lacking and then say I have extensive knowledge. So if I have extensive knowledge why cant you take criticism? lol

Bill I know you probably helped a good deal of people on this forum and cheers to that, but don't take us all for fools. Now is the time for you to be a man and post a video or some proof of your credentials, or admit to being a mere tennis enthusiast like the rest of us, and still maintain some dignity.

There was a guy here like you in the past. Demanded I show my credentials. I dont need to. Yandell was kind enough to jump in, but I have nothing to prove to you. This forum is about getting tips and criticism to improve your game. Credentials are meaningless and who care how I hit a ball?

You are being critiqued by a knowledeable poster, you either use it or you dont. I will never prove anything to an advesary.

azn_tomato
04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Oh.
Friggin.
No.

Edit: You two should just have a nice little talk on IM. The last page has been thus:
mmeyer: show proof!
bb:i choose not to
mmeyer: show proof!

mmeyer1
04-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Supposedly you have passed it, wheres the proof?! I don't buy it and I am sure many others here don't but choose to remain silent. Your words mean nothing without proof. Just like how you called GWB a liar, you are also one. And until you post a video or proof of you passing the uspta exam your lying to us and yourself.

End of story Bill.

mmeyer1
04-03-2008, 06:05 PM
And about the comment on my strokes, READ the post before u criticize the video because the point of the thread wasn't to be for criticism, it was to be a thread where people post videos of backhands to compare to others on the board, nothing more.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Supposedly you have passed it, wheres the proof?! I don't buy it and I am sure many others here don't but choose to remain silent. Your words mean nothing without proof. Just like how you called GWB a liar, you are also one. And until you post a video or proof of you passing the uspta exam your lying to us and yourself.

End of story Bill.

Again, I consider you an advisary and would never offer my help to you.

I dont need to prove anything to you. My insight in tennis stands and has been proven for all to read. You do the search.

NamRanger
04-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Bungalo Bill has more credentials here then the majority of posters. Only Jeff, John, and a handful of people that I can count with my 10 fingers have more knowledge then BB. Seriously, just give up kid.

mmeyer1
04-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Nothing has been proven. You have avoided explaining why you can't take a video yourself, and you keep trying to just end it, when you could just say that you will tape yourself over the weekend and upload during the week, and by that time i would have forgotten about it. No proof has been shown, and as a former teacher refusing to help anyone is a sign of bad work ethic and a sign of immaturity.

Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk dude, its just not cool.

azn_tomato
04-03-2008, 06:26 PM
cough*the bigger person here would just deal with the other posters comment and stop posting*cough

But really, this has accomplished nothing. Its the same thing over and over.
In all honestly, mmeyer, you're acting childish. This whole "show me proof" is a lame excuse. Its clear that he has lots of experience. Either that, or he has no experience but for some reason dedicated himself to learning all about it. Either way, it doesn't change you or anyone in any way.

In any case, why do you care? What does it accomplish?
Like i said, this is the INTERNET

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Nothing has been proven.

And nothing needs to be proven. If you are so concerned do the research here on the USPTA thing. I dont need to do it.

You have avoided explaining why you can't take a video yourself, and you keep trying to just end it, when you could just say that you will tape yourself over the weekend and upload during the week, and by that time i would have forgotten about it.

Why would it matter to you? I dont want to help you. I dont need to prove anything to you. My critique is my critique!

As a former teacher refusing to help anyone is a sign of bad work ethic and a sign of immaturity.

Well that is not true. Many coaches refuse to teach certain players. You are a type of player I would never teach. You want smoke blown and you didnt get it from me. My critique still stands.

Wait, I thought you just said I was extremely knowledgable? Why would it matter what I do on the court so long as the knowledge I am sharing is helping you?

smoothtennis
04-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Awww c'mon guys, now seriously, just give it up. :mrgreen:

boojay
04-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Sniff, sniff, yeah I do.

Good comeback.

How do you know it is questionable? Because I didnt rate you as you wanted? LOL

Starting to sound like a broken record, old man. "I know you are, but what am I?" -Bungalo Bill

Oh now that is insulting. Sorry for rating you less then you think you are. Your footwork still needs work.

Sorry, just being honest ;). And don't be sorry for rating me whatever you want to because you'll probably change your rating later today anyway, and then the next day....

Good! Can't wait.

Actually, my students loved me. I had a waiting list because I was a no nonsense coach that was deeply into improving the player rather then making a buck. I had wieghing scales, eating programs, goals, and went to matches (when I could) to critique their match play. I didnt hang out all day but wanted a little information so I coud bring it to practice.

I also worked their butts off. The trouble was, I didnt beleive in charging that much for my practices (they werent lessons) and yes I was hard on them. Some, cried and quit like you would, others loved it and got better quickly. They paid a price though.

You "assumed" your students loved you sounds more like it. If I ever took your so-called "program", it would be a cakewalk. The only reason why I wouldn't finish it is because unlike most of your students who rollover in fear of you, I wouldn't take your BS. If anything, I would make sure you spoke to me appropriately. I respect my teacher, but I don't have to put up with rudeness and I'll dish out exactly what I receive. It's the kinda guy I am. You would have to deal with it, but I doubt you could.

In the end though, I developed knee problems and back problems and the sun was causing my lips to blister no matter how much sun block I put on. The doctor said I was on my way in getting skin cancer, so trying to support three kids and now dealing with the health issues I was forced to quit.

Sorry to hear that, doesn't excuse you from anything.

Still though this doesnt change anything, your footwork is still lazy. This also doesnt change the fact that some players may like a coach like me. I would never pull punches. I may be a little harsh but I am also truthful.

Your posts are getting lazy.

(My message is NOT too short!)

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 09:38 PM
You "assumed" your students loved you sounds more like it. If I ever took your so-called "program", it would be a cakewalk.

Not the way you were moving in your video. You would be gasping for air. lol

The only reason why I wouldn't finish it is because unlike most of your students who rollover in fear of you, I wouldn't take your BS.

I guess you have it all figured out. My critique still stands. ;)

If anything, I would make sure you spoke to me appropriately.

Lol, now that is funny!

I respect my teacher, but I don't have to put up with rudeness and I'll dish out exactly what I receive. It's the kinda guy I am. You would have to deal with it, but I doubt you could.

LOL, even more funny.

LOL

Rickson
04-03-2008, 09:42 PM
I'd armbar both of you and make you tap out.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I'd armbar both of you and make you tap out.

With that little arm? Let the little guy blow off steam. It still doesnt change my critique. :)

Rickson
04-03-2008, 09:47 PM
With that little arm? Let the little guy blow off steam. It still doesnt change my critique. :)

Ah, so your mma techniques aren't up to par with your tennis. The armbar doesn't require as much arm strength as one would imagine. The legs and body play a big role in hyperextending the opponent's arm. Just like in tennis, you can't simply "arm" an armbar.

Hot Sauce
04-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Please, tell me more, Mr. Wannabe Gracie.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Please, tell me more, Mr. Wannabe Gracie.

It's my second best move, Sauce. Nobody and I mean nobody gets out of my rear choke.

Hot Sauce
04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Not even a teddy bear?

Rickson
04-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Not even a teddy bear?

Not even you, teddy bear.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Not even you, teddy bear.

LOL, teddy bear. Too funny.

AlpineCadet
04-03-2008, 10:53 PM
..glad someone has changed their tune.

boojay
04-03-2008, 11:54 PM
The only thing I've learned from this thread is that BB is easily amused.

I have to admit though, that was definitely a classic response, Hot Sauce. It made me e-giggle.

baek57
04-03-2008, 11:55 PM
I dont get why BB is taking so much flack for suggesting a 3.5-4.0 rating. I agree with BB. Footwork needs work and volleys were unbearable to watch.

boojay
04-04-2008, 12:27 AM
I dont get why BB is taking so much flack for suggesting a 3.5-4.0 rating. I agree with BB. Footwork needs work and volleys were unbearable to watch.

No offense, but your reading skills are about as poor as BB's then. The rating is a non-issue, it's his board persona that's annoying. That's been addressed numerous times, however, like BB, you seem to be practicing some selective reading. There's nothing wrong with criticism, but when someone looks for nothing but the negative aspects within a post and presents them in a mocking fashion, naturally it'll spur some heated debate.

And now I'll save BB some trouble and post his next reply for him,

"LOL!! He's just mad because I gave him a bad rating.....BAH KAWWK!! Why does no one stand up for me? I don't have to prove anything to you!! My rating stands. LOLL!!!"

(press repeat button)

BeHappy
04-04-2008, 12:47 AM
I don't necessarily agree with BB that the tough love approach should be default, I think that players should be handled on a case by case basis, I think some people respond better to encouragement and having someone berate them or make them run laps can take the enjoyment out of the game for them, but some people are need to be kicked up the as$.
You are definitely in the 2nd category.You are way too pleased with yourself and your game, and I don't mean this in a resentful way so please don't interpret it as such.What I mean is, you post highlight videos on this sub forum because you like being told you're awesome by players who are inferior to you by 0.5-1.0 of an ntrp.Whenever someone tries to suggest that you aren't so awesome you react very angrily.The reality is that if you don't work on those areas Bungalo Bill highlighted, you're going to be a strong 3.5-average 4.0 for the rest of your life.The reality is that your footwork is holding you back, if you don't work on your weaknesses you will stagnate as a player and if you can't handle a highly qualified coach giving this advice for free:

You've a pretty thin skin.

I mean, all he said was work on your footwork and forehand.He didn't say you suck or anything.

baek57
04-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Sometimes the truth hurts... you don't need to attack everyone who points it out. You can, however, use it as a guide to make your game better.

I also see nothing wrong with the way BB gave his rating.

AlpineCadet
04-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Stop reinforcing his behavior. "BungaloBill" is known for being tactless, and a self-proclaimed arrogant b*stard. He's rude, obnoxious, and thinks he's got enough under his belt to badmouth everyone on TW. It's time you guys see the reality of things, and just do a search on your own time.

NamRanger
04-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Nothing has been proven. You have avoided explaining why you can't take a video yourself, and you keep trying to just end it, when you could just say that you will tape yourself over the weekend and upload during the week, and by that time i would have forgotten about it. No proof has been shown, and as a former teacher refusing to help anyone is a sign of bad work ethic and a sign of immaturity.

How bout you go ask John himself if BB is a true coach? I'm sure he'll be glad to tell you the truth about your ignorant self. I'm sorry, but BB is right, you are lazy with footwork, which really negates some of the positive aspects about your groundstrokes.

3.5-4.0 in strong tennis areas is MUCH stronger then a 3.5-4.0 in a weaker area. BB is rating based upon his past experiences and observations from an EXTREMELY strong tennis area. Southern California has some of the best tennis players in the nation, and is extremely competitive. A 3.5 from SoCal would likely school nearly any other 3.5.

I've seen a few 4.0-4.5's who think they are extremely good, and that they are 5.0s because of their weak competition. When they step in with the big boys though, they get completely destroyed. Anyone in the 4.0+ range has pretty good footwork. Despite what most people say about guys like John Isner and Ivo Karlovic, they would run circles around your average amateur tennis player, simply because they know how to move.

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Stop reinforcing his behavior. "BungaloBill" is known for being tactless, and a self-proclaimed arrogant b*stard. He's rude, obnoxious, and thinks he's got enough under his belt to badmouth everyone on TW. It's time you guys see the reality of things, and just do a search on your own time.

Talking about being tactless? I guess it is okay for you to call someone names but not others? ;)

If you read through the posts, I simply provided my rating on the videos provided. That was it. TenniPro11 got annoyed and posted insults as well but proceeded to say how much he doesnt like me saying insults. I dont get it?

My rating stands based on the videos provided.

I think it is time for the Kaptain to step in. There is nothing wrong with my posts and I apoligize if it wasn't what you wanted to hear. Bottom-line is EVERYONE here is tactless at times. But you can't hold a stick to the amount of free advice (good advice) that I have offered on these boards.

And yes, I am tough-love coach whether you like it or not. That is my style and some players dont do well under that style but many do! So get over it.

AlpineCadet
04-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow. It seems the BB from yesterday is gone, and a new BB is writing responses for him. That's a nice 180, and it's def. welcomed.

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Wow. It seems the BB from yesterday is gone, and a new BB is writing responses for him. That's a nice 180, and it's def. welcomed.

Nothing has changed dude. Post #4 in this thread was an honest response and there was nothing in it except that in that video his footwork was poor. Also, I could careless about previous videos and ratings. Ratings change and withmore information they can change. It is just the way it is.

You are flat out wrong regarding using the descriptive language above, especially when you are one who is trying to say something about it.

Boojay had lazy footwork. He was sluggish and is 4.0 at best. Period.

WBF
04-04-2008, 11:50 AM
sluggish and is 4.0 at best

I was under the impression that a good player could demolish a 4.0 even when partaking in terrible, lazy, footwork. Hell, I would imagine they could demolish a 4.0 using only second serves, only slice backhands, and loopy high forehands alone. While drunk. I think you are overestimating the importance of footwork required for that level of tennis...

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I was under the impression that a good player could demolish a 4.0 even when partaking in terrible, lazy, footwork. Hell, I would imagine they could demolish a 4.0 using only second serves, only slice backhands, and loopy high forehands alone. While drunk. I think you are overestimating the importance of footwork required for that level of tennis...

LOL, yeah, anything you say.

AlpineCadet
04-04-2008, 11:54 AM
You are flat out wrong regarding using the descriptive language above, especially when you are one who is trying to say something about it.

Hmm, you're actually right. At first, I was mistaking those words for being my opinion, or better yet, the truth, but now that you've highlighted and super-size them in bold red, I can actually see what you mean now. Sorry, my mistake. Congrats. You are a stand up guy, and everyone knows it.

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Hmm, you're actually right. At first, I was mistaking those words for being my opinion, or better yet, the truth, but now that you've highlighted and super-size them in bold red, I can actually see what you mean now. Sorry, my mistake. Congrats. You are a stand up guy, and everyone knows it.

Yeah, right. Move on.

WBF
04-04-2008, 12:00 PM
LOL, yeah, anything you say.

I was actually being mostly serious. My game through highschool and the beginning of college revolved around bashing the ball with the very minimum of effort expended. There were *plenty* of people out there who could do it better than I could. Obviously, at some point footwork would be too terrible to compete even at the low level, but the footwork seen here is not that sort of handicap. It would prevent him from playing at higher levels where footwork and fitness start to become defining differences, for sure, but at the low level? No.

TnTBigman
04-04-2008, 12:07 PM
a good 3.5 in South Florida.

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
It would prevent him from playing at higher levels where footwork and fitness start to become defining differences, for sure, but at the low level? No.

I can agree with some of your information. However, we are not only talking about a critique of a player, we are also seeing the difference in coaching styles.

I will rate a person based on what I see in a clip here on TW. It doesn't matter if last week I rated it a 4.0 and then the next week a 3.5 because I dont remember who is who. I dont keep a log of the players.

I am not concenred with players playing lower! You might, but I am not. I am in to make them play higher! I also will not "hand" out ratings. I rate based on what I believe. It is still an opinion which obviously is taken to heart strongly!

My style is to rate lower until proven otherwise. Is there anything wrong with that? Do you have a problem with that? It is just an opinion based on my experience. I could careless if you think it is obnoxious or not. It is a rating and I can only go by my experience and that exeprience is from the Orange County/San Diego area. And guess what? It is a nasty area to compete in. So if you think that is obnoxious - TOO BAD.

If you want to give a person a higher rating, great! I will rarely cry about it unless it is outrageously high.

If I see a kid moving lazily on the court, I will not put up with that. If he was on my team, solely depending on his talent outside of working hard, he will be moveed down on the team.

I have a coaching style that wants determined players. They may be few and far between. I want hard working players that are willing to go through tough training and work on fundamentals to improve. You bet I am tough and I have no plans to ever change it. If it is insulting - I really dont care. I do love talent so please dont get me wrong, but I love determination that much more.

If you want to rate the guy higher, rate him higher! But respect my rating because it was also a fair assessment as there was nothing wrong in how or what I said.

boojay
04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Well, your last few posts have certainly been easier to read despite all the bolding and red highlighting, BB. Once again, the rating I could care less about, if you had said it that way (with all the background information and in a serious, non-mocking fashion), you wouldn't be berated so often.

I guess I'll need to spell this out for you since it'll just blow over your head and you'll somehow find something negative to say about even THIS post, but I'm giving you a form of compliment, as I've attempted to do so many times in several previous posts, but you always seem to ignore or brush it off. I won't even nail you for the obvious faux pas you made in your last post.

Passion4Tennis
04-04-2008, 02:12 PM
A little off-topic here, but...

Hey Bungalo Bill,

I read in one of your posts that you worked at Braden's Tennis College. Vic (from what I've seen in his videos), reminds me of someone that would coddle his students. Was that his basic approach? Have you ever seen him get testy?

Also, from what I've gathered about your coaching style, it reminds me of Robert Lansdorp. Ever met him?

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2008, 02:47 PM
A little off-topic here, but...

Hey Bungalo Bill,

I read in one of your posts that you worked at Braden's Tennis College. Vic (from what I've seen in his videos), reminds me of someone that would coddle his students. Was that his basic approach? Have you ever seen him get testy?

Yes, and no. Vic was a humorous man. He was hilarious and fun to be around. However, he was as stubborn as hell. Even when we disagreed with some of his teaching he wouldn't budge.

What I loved most about him was his heart and that he was faithful to his wife. I really respected that. He was a family man first and he didn’t seem to have a deceitful bone in his body.

The other thing I liked is when ever I was passing him (believe me I was one in a hundred coaches for him), he always knew my name and called me "coach". In passing he would say "Hi, coach". There was something about him saying that to me that really made me feel proud of my accomplishments no matter how small. Even though I am hard on players (sometimes seemingly unfair), I always respect my players and always make them feel proud of their hard work. I know that might be hard to believe because I don’t actually work with players here on this board, I provide a tip and off they go.

Braden, always let us coach with whatever style we had. Some coaches were jokesters. Some were tough and so on. I like Vic because he worked with our personalities. If a player didn’t like a certain style of coach, he would move the player. This was great, because I hated babysitting players and working with the ones that whined and cried because they couldn't do something. I would say "Vic, I would rather work with 1 dedicated player than 20 whiners. Even if I go broke doing so." He of course, woudl always have a comment about that. Like one time "he was watchign me coach from afar, and after the lesson, he walked up to me and gently said, "sometimes a little honey helps."

Also, from what I've gathered about your coaching style, it reminds me of Robert Lansdorp. Ever met him?

Yes, I met Robert through John Yandell at the Pacific Open. I was a bit star struck, so I don’t remember much. I also had about 6 beers as well before hand. I don’t know if John knew that. For John, it was like they were old buddies. :)

qtipkorea4u
04-04-2008, 04:58 PM
ok well I am a very new user to this forum and i can careless what people have to say... But i think BB ,in some extent, is very right. People sometimes get really ****ed off or get defensive about somebody's analysis on their videos because they were hoping to hear something good out of it even though they wouldn't admit so. It is human's instinct to react aggressively to negative comments than to the positive ones even though it is hard to believe.

I am no expert in the field of tennis, but BB puts some real time and effort to help people out, even though sometimes it might become too discouraging after a while

this is just what i think. Maybe I have repeated some people's input because I skipped page 5-6 :p