PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to deal with partners who don't slowly warm up?

AmericanTemplar
04-03-2008, 09:28 AM
The past 2 days I have been asked to hit with people who had already been hitting for a while. I, on the other hand, wasn't warmed up. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to warm up in these situations, in which my partner is already hitting with full swings, while I'm just trying to get stretched out enough to find my timing?

LuckyR
04-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Is this a matchplay situation? If so, you should already be warmed up before arriving at the venue. If not, what difference does it make?

Rickson
04-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Do a lap around the tennis court.

AmericanTemplar
04-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Is this a matchplay situation? If so, you should already be warmed up before arriving at the venue. If not, what difference does it make? Not a matchplay situation. The difference is that it is hard to focus on warming up my strokes, footwork, etc, when I'm already being put in a defensive position.

Djokovicfan4life
04-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Not a matchplay situation. The difference is that it is hard to focus on warming up my strokes, footwork, etc, when I'm already being put in a defensive position.

I usually play with my brother after school and he's always warmed up (he plays for the high school). We usually both come out swinging in warmups.

It's good to be young, I guess. :)

Rickson
04-03-2008, 10:18 AM
I usually play with my brother after school and he's always warmed up (he plays for the high school). We usually both come out swinging in warmups.

It's good to be young, I guess. :)

I know, I know, you're actually Marko. We've been through this already.

Djokovicfan4life
04-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I know, I know, you're actually Marko. We've been through this already.

Ha, you've got some memory, Rickson!

WBF
04-03-2008, 10:23 AM
AT, how do you usually warm up? There are probably many people the opposite of you, who are annoyed with too-slow warmups. On my old college team there was this tradition of warming up for a few minutes while playing on the service line, followed by backing up and continuing the warmup. I was not a fan. Not that I'm a fan of bashing right away, I need a good 2-5 minutes of loose strokes before I start hitting hard, but I would prefer someone who goes right to hitting hard rather than the damn slow warmups! :p

AmericanTemplar
04-03-2008, 10:26 AM
WBF- We're on the same page as far as not liking the ridiculously slow warm ups. What I'm referring to is on the opposite end of the spectrum--when your partner is pounding them into the corner warming up.

WBF
04-03-2008, 10:29 AM
WBF- We're on the same page as far as not liking the ridiculously slow warm ups. What I'm referring to is on the opposite end of the spectrum--when your partner is pounding them into the corner warming up.

Ohhh, hahaha, yeah, that's even worse. I can deal with hard hitters, but corners? Yuck!

seb85
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
The past 2 days I have been asked to hit with people who had already been hitting for a while. I, on the other hand, wasn't warmed up. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to warm up in these situations, in which my partner is already hitting with full swings, while I'm just trying to get stretched out enough to find my timing?

I just ask nicely if they would mind coming to the service line for a few moments to let me warm up. I havn't been refused up to this point and all my hitting partners know that i extend the same courtesy to them if they want it. :)

Moz
04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
A good friend of mine used to try to hit winners from the start of a warm-up.

The only way we got him to stop is by laughing at him and calling out the score whenever he hit a winner. We'd always take the **** out of him because he'd be 3-0 up by the end of the warm-up.

lethalfang
04-03-2008, 03:07 PM

I'll just let go of those corner balls, and then pick out a ball in my pocket and feed it to them right up the middle. If they hit corner again, I'll let it go again.......
When they pound the ball to me, I'll just block it back.
I'll do this for about 5 minute before start swinging myself.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 06:01 PM

What goes around, comes around? If a player doesnt allow me to warm-up, I will definetly let them know I am not happy. They will either be forced to warm-up properly or I will give them the balls and hit to the corners as well.