PDA

View Full Version : 100 % graphite rackets: enough pop?

Coria
01-05-2005, 09:57 AM
that's something I wonder about a lot. What is the best combination with graphite to give it the best power? Carbon? Fiberglass? Kevlar? Boron? Liquid Metal? tungsten?

Gaines Hillix
01-05-2005, 10:08 AM
What does "best power" mean to you? Do you mean the most power or some additional power while retaining as much of that sweet graphite feel as possible? There's a big difference. Titanium racquets were usually very light and stiff and powerful, but had a hollow tinny feel and were not good for your arm. Fiberglass gives the frame an even softer, buttery feel when cobined with the graphite. Kevlar stiffens the frame a bit, but not too much(the original PS Staff 6.0s come to mind). Liquid Metal is just another gimmick like Intellifibers to make the racquet stiffer when the ball is struck. I've never used a frame with Boron in it.

rich s
01-05-2005, 10:17 AM
A frame made of 100% of the stiffest of all the materials listed will produce the most power.

I believe Boron is the stiffest material listed, but it is very expensive and very difficult to work with and it would feel very tinny and transfer vibration easily.

I don't think Kevlar stiffens a frame. I believe it makes it softer as does Fiberglass and Twaron.

coria- carbon and graphite are one in the same when it comes to tennis racquets.

Steve Huff
01-05-2005, 11:31 AM
After playing with a Bard racket in the early 80's, I also believe Boron is probably the stiffest material.

b.
01-05-2005, 11:48 AM
All those materials have it's specific role. We are talking about composites. Take a wool for example. You can have it unrefined, rough, wire-like. And refined to be like a silk. The same wool.

Properties depend on technology used, resin, fibre angles, pressure, temperature, modifications used in mixture (graphite - carbon...)

Tungsten plays the role of the lead as far as i know. Nothing fancy.

Boron was good addition in a stick I played with. I can only guess was the boron one to take credits. Again - it depends on how it was integrated.

Kevlar - fibers doesn't stretch much, but braided sheets? How it is layed with other materials?

There is lot of speculation on this, but I think that one have to have insight in engineering proces for each model to know exactly what material gives, what it takes.

In composites you can take one single material (one modification) and get variety of different properties at the end, according to process applied. And there are modifications...

Titanium - goes from soft to very hard, depending on alloying. Can be braided too - what comes out I don't know.

Some brands make diffrence between "graphite" and "carbon". You can translate it one way or another... Yes, carbon is main ingredient, but we have brand names, names in technology...

Just saying "graphite" we can not know what we have exactly. There are "usual" technologies that have "usual" outcomes, but it is generalisation.