PDA

View Full Version : shots

baseliner80
04-03-2008, 12:50 PM
lately I have been hitting a lot of my forehands off the end of the frame or on the top of the string bed. what would be a main cause of this?

Rickson
04-03-2008, 12:52 PM
lately I have been hitting a lot of my forehands off the end of the frame or on the top of the string bed. what would be a main cause of this?

Maybe you're not looking at the ball or maybe you're mistiming your shots.

Essential Tennis
04-03-2008, 01:09 PM

Baseliner: it's great that you're aware enough to not only know you're hitting off center, but to notice a pattern of hitting the same place over and over. A lot of recreational players don't pick up on this at all. You're hitting the tip of your racket either because you're positioning yourself too far away from it, or you simply need to improve your focus on the ball as Rickson suggested. I write a tennis instruction blog, and two weeks ago the article was about how to correctly watch the ball to improve your contact. Here is a link to that article:

http://essentialtennis.blogspot.com/2008/03/watch-ball_24.html

Do you find yourself reaching/stretching for the ball when you hit off center on the tip, or does it happen regardless of your position and balance?

baseliner80
04-03-2008, 02:12 PM
seems to happen in patches, mostly on serve returns or when going for big cross court forehands. Even happens on some serves althought it does not seem to affect placing that much