PDA

View Full Version : Another post about my technique

seb85
04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi everyone.

I have been trying to improve my technique over the last 8 months or so to aid recover from a persistant arm/shoulder injury. During coaching last week i took a couple of videos which are laid out below. I am hoping that those on here with keen eyes will look through them and give me some (more) pointers on what i can improve on. My injury is very nearly better although i can still only manage 3 or 4 times a week (6-8 hrs/wk) at the moment.

This was a jump up from what i could manage a few months back and I think improving my serve motion as well as switchin to natural gut really helped me. Thanks again to those who took time to help me with my serve a couple of months back.

So please don't hold back: -

groundstrokes: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=577BsZphsIU
serves: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJBJYhiMAwk

and for those who want to download better quality movies: -
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.vanaaken/

Thanks in advance

Seb:)

Old threads: -
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=177870
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=166608

Rickson
04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Good job, seb. Just work on your consistency and clean up that backhand a little.

Djokovicfan4life
04-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I like your serve, very smooth. :)

HeadPrestige
04-03-2008, 02:54 PM
nice overall.. but it is strange to me that you seem to move back a little as you hit your forehand.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone.

I have been trying to improve my technique over the last 8 months or so to aid recover from a persistant arm/shoulder injury. During coaching last week i took a couple of videos which are laid out below.

Thanks in advance

Seb,

I really liked your active feet and footwork. This is the basis of your strokes and from there technique can be improved in a real way.

You trying to stay on your toes, keeping your feet apart and using the shuffle step to recover at times was very good. Good work, I enjoyed watching it. Keep working on your footwork patterns and incorporate other patterns into your arsenal.

On some of your forehands, you need to watch your rotation. Your rotation should go into the ball and should be fluid allowing you to maintain your balance. Your balance was okay but yorur rotation opened slightly too soon pulling you off slightly. Still though, you hit the ball largely because of your athleticism.

There was also over rotation in your feet when you hit the ball and into followthrough. You can see this on some of your shots where your left foot sort of went back. Slow it down and work putting your efforts into the ball. Check out Blake on his forehands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaUH9Bevnew&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5l6NiQ1Upg&feature=related

Watch also your non-dominant arm. Maybe try holding it up higher and allowing it to bend in at the elbow as your back shouldr moves the arm into contact. You weren't bad but working on it further will really smooth out your stroke and add power.

Hitting with power is not trying to overrotate and put steam on the ball. Hitting hard really has to do with clean contact + timing = power. So slow it down and stay in control.

Your preparation on your backhand is a bit sluggish and slow. This goes for your forehand as well. Get the shoulders turned sooner and recognize where the ball will bounce sooner. This is because you need to move to get into position to take the ball on the rise.

Next time, provide some quicktime videos I can step through for a more refined analysis.

mordecai
04-03-2008, 06:16 PM
You should modify takeback so that your stringbed is facing down at the end. Also extend your left arm more and use it to aid your body rotation.

Djokovicfan4life
04-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Woah, BB actually liked someone's footwork? There's a first.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi everyone.

I have been trying to improve my technique over the last 8 months or so to aid recover from a persistant arm/shoulder injury. During coaching last week i took a couple of videos which are laid out below. I am hoping that those on here with keen eyes will look through them and give me some (more) pointers on what i can improve on. My injury is very nearly better although i can still only manage 3 or 4 times a week (6-8 hrs/wk) at the moment.

This was a jump up from what i could manage a few months back and I think improving my serve motion as well as switchin to natural gut really helped me. Thanks again to those who took time to help me with my serve a couple of months back.

Thanks in advance

Serving, again need some Quicktime videos for further analysis. It is much easier to verify what I am seeing in slo-motion and stepping through then relying solely on my eyes in fast motion which can be easily deceived.

First the good stuff. I really liked your readiness after your serve! It looked like you were really trying. Your footwork once again can always be improved but by far is some of the best I have seen on these boards.

Now the bad stuff.

Although I liked the looseness in your hitting arm, I felt your motion is a bit out of sync with your toss. It seemed that you were hitting the ball when you were coming down rather then going up.

You can really get some more steam on the ball if you had more upward motion as you make contact. It seemed you lost your momentum just before contact. Everything should build to contact. Not build and then slightly die down at contact.

I think that you need to shift more of your wieight over your front leg as I beleive it is too even over both of your legs during the thrust out of your knee bend. The deep knee bend is okay but it needs to take you out and up more.

It was hard to tell your toss and if it could go out into the court more. Maybe a different angle would help.

Your non-dominant arm needs to fold in more to your body. This helps to brake the shoulders and increase racquet head speed.

And yes, that was an outstanding return worthy of you clapping. :)

quicken
04-03-2008, 08:20 PM
If I was that good.......... Sigh...

Solat
04-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Seb,

On some of your forehands, you need to watch your rotation. Your rotation should go into the ball and should be fluid allowing you to maintain your balance. Your balance was okay but yorur rotation opened slightly too soon pulling you off slightly. Still though, you hit the ball largely because of your athleticism.

There was also over rotation in your feet when you hit the ball and into followthrough. You can see this on some of your shots where your left foot sort of went back. Slow it down and work putting your efforts into the ball. Check out Blake on his forehands.

Saved me having to type it BB :)

Serving: to me it looks like you are catching the ball on the way down from your leg drive, its a matter of either waiting a fraction longer before the drive or preferrably tossing slightly lower

otherwise looks good, nice to see that as good a level you have achieved you aren't too cocky to assume that there isnt room to improve

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Saved me having to type it BB :)

Serving: to me it looks like you are catching the ball on the way down from your leg drive, its a matter of either waiting a fraction longer before the drive or preferrably tossing slightly lower

Good observation.

seb85
04-04-2008, 02:01 AM
BB what do you mean by quicktime videos? I still have the originals from my camera so i could create them if i knew how...

Thanks for all the comments. I noticed the over rotation thing on the forehand too. I was having a problem with my left knee from stopping the rotation with this foot before, which i suppose is related to the same problem. Is it simply a case of not trying to hit the ball as hard?! Or do i need to create more of a feeling of moving forward when i hit the ball? Like blake does- its almost like the end of a golf swing! How would i go about practising this?

what do you mean by "opened slightly too soon pulling you off slightly"?

As for serves, in order to hit the ball more on my way up, is it just a question of hitting the ball earlier? Should i just get outside and try doing that?

Seb :)

Djokovicfan4life
04-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Man, I wish I had a camera so I could start long, pointless thread involving a 5 page argument between BB and 5 overly-sensitive posters. :lol:

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2008, 10:49 AM
BB what do you mean by quicktime videos? I still have the originals from my camera so i could create them if i knew how...

When I analyze a stroke, I get a pad and pen and start analyzing. This is not so easy to do on YouTube. It is difficult to provide solid advice when the playback speed can't be controlled. I can't see the finer elements that really contribute to you and I learning.

I am not a video expert (maybe some here is, but I know you can save it), but you need to save the clip in Quicktime format. This will allow me to start and stop, step-frame, and reverse frames with the toggle through the sequence. I can then do the same with my library of professional strokes that I have on DVD.

When I put them up on my two flat screens I can easily see where you need to improve. It is much easier to take notes, measurements, swing paths and see little problem areas in your stroke to provide you with the best advice for the money (free). I can also correct my premature analysis when I can see finer details. :)

Thanks for all the comments. I noticed the over rotation thing on the forehand too. I was having a problem with my left knee from stopping the rotation with this foot before, which i suppose is related to the same problem. Is it simply a case of not trying to hit the ball as hard?! Or do i need to create more of a feeling of moving forward when i hit the ball? Like blake does- its almost like the end of a golf swing! How would i go about practising this?

It could be trying not to hit the ball so hard. I think sometimes (you are a lot like I am) you try to create a winner when it is not there through force and power. So yes, overhitting could cause overotation. I love hitting the ball hard, the harder the better. However, I have learned over the years that sometimes hititng the ball hard, the ball comes back harder! I also tend to error more if my balance and conditioning isn't excellent. When it is, I will win. When it isn't, it is my match to lose.

You have plenty of power, what you need to do is stay balanced and focused while you are delivering your blows.

I think though it is more in how you setup and go through the ball. Remember power comes from CLEAN CONTACT + TIMING. If you can think about that and go through the ball lengthening your swing, I think your rotation issue will subside.

what do you mean by "opened slightly too soon pulling you off slightly"?

Look at Blakes shoulders at contact, and then look at yours. Look at his feet and compare them to yours. Blake smacks the ball but his balance and body control are outstanding on the forehand side. His rotationa and his weight transfer go into the shot and then around. I would need to take a closer look but it looked like your shoulders opened a bit too soon and then you hit the ball. You have to really look closely.

If I am wrong about it, then no worries. I would need QuickTime really analyze it.

As for serves, in order to hit the ball more on my way up, is it just a question of hitting the ball earlier? Should i just get outside and try doing that?

Seb :)

I think it is in your toss and your upward direction. It seems your knee bend is more down and up. It should be more down and then out and up. I like what Pat Dougherty used as an example. Pretend your front side is a pole a pole vaulter would uses. It bends and then snaps forward and up. He asks the person to consider extending out the front hip in doing this. Keep your head up as well.

Get me those videos, I would be more then willing to help you.

Bagumbawalla
04-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I would say that you hit some very good strokes off both the forehand and the backhand side. Of the really good strokes, your had good, concentration, footwork, preparation, timing, forward momentum, and smoothness of action.

However, the really good strokes accounted for only 10-20 percent of the total.

So I would say that you have a very promising game, you just need to keep practicing, focus on each ball and bring that percentage up (in a ralley situation) to nearly 100%.

And, by the way, it looks kike your coach (or whoever you were hitting with) is pretty decent, I'd stick with him for a while.

Haven't had time for the serves, yet.

Andres
04-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Your serve is very McEnroesque. I like it :)

Photoshop
04-05-2008, 12:13 AM
What's your rating, op?

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 08:07 AM
However, the really good strokes accounted for only 10-20 percent of the total.

So what went wrong? This doesnt help anyone at all. "I noticed you hit 10-20 percent of your strokes well, But 80-90% of your strokes didnt go well. But I wont say why." Huh?

So I would say that you have a very promising game, you just need to keep practicing, focus on each ball and bring that percentage up (in a ralley situation) to nearly 100%.

Wow, insightful.

Haven't had time for the serves, yet.

Can't wait for this analysis.

seb85
04-05-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm trying to work out how to make the quicktime movies... should have it done soon i hope:oops:

Seb

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm trying to work out how to make the quicktime movies... should have it done soon i hope:oops:

Seb

Yeah, I dont know how. Maybe the video experts on this board can help you. My two 20" screens are ready! :twisted:

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 09:38 AM

Seb

Seb,

Take a look at this video. I think it is one of Nick's coaches commenting. In the forehand sequence, he talks a bit about over doing it. Check this out against your own. I liked the comments, what I didnt like is (and I didnt watch the whole thing) there was no mention on his legs and how straight up he was.

I know the backhand doesnt apply but others with onehanders will watch this clip. The backhand comment on the wrist is good, however, it isn't for everyone. Meaning first perfect your stroke then you can add the wrist which is usually a more advanced move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xSTxdWQuBI&NR=1

JMS
04-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Continue to move your feet. In the video you are sitting back and waiting for the ball, if you continue to move your feet and step into the ball when you hit it your power will increase.

Pusher
04-05-2008, 09:51 AM
nice overall.. but it is strange to me that you seem to move back a little as you hit your forehand.

You see that a lot when players let the ball drop before they make contact. Moving into a ball thats dropping is almost as tough as hitting the ball on the rise.

In the video, the player's court position is behind the baseline-too much so in my opinion. That really forces the player to take the ball late-its a bad habit but part of the learning progression-I think.

The one hander looks OK but again, moving forward is the key. Many players open up too quickly resulting in a momentum that carries them back along the baseline instead of forward. I really think that is the technique fault that keeps many from having command of that shot.

I would suggest the player move up onto the baseline and hold that position as much as possible. That gives a more realistic situation one would find in match play.

TennisProdigy
04-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Nice strokes, I enjoyed watching. The guy you played with was pretty good, 10 balls on ur side for every 1 on his :twisted:

seb85
04-07-2008, 01:58 AM
Ok guys, I think ive managed to make the quicktime movies. To everyone out there i used a free program called SUPER to convert them from .avi to .mov. You can download the movies from here: -

Thanks again for all the great comments.

BB: -
Thanks for that video. Also that was a great tool they had for analysis i wish i had something like that! That guy also has the same problem as me on the serve- hitting it on the way down. The weather has been absolutely rubbish here for a few days but today is cold but not too windy so i hope to get out and hit a couple of buckets of serves today... Ill try it out.

To Pusher: -
I think its all tied up together. Ive been trying to force myself to stay up to the baseline and take the ball earlier but it has been really difficult to break the habit. Probably because Im trying to hit each shot too hard as BB pointed out. During that coaching session we were working on trying to compact my backswing a bit so that shots would be a) more consistant and b) easier to hit on the rise.

And to Tennis Prodigy: -
Yeah i should think so too- he's my coach!

TennisProdigy
04-07-2008, 07:43 AM
And to Tennis Prodigy: -
Yeah i should think so too- he's my coach!

When I practice with my coach, I normally have 50 balls on my side to his 0 lol (he's a 6.0 and has 3 atp points :twisted:).

Bungalo Bill
04-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Probably because Im trying to hit each shot too hard as BB pointed out.

Yes, you dont need to swing hard if you are taking it on the rise. You do however need to swing through the ball.

The tough part to taking it on the rise is a lot of people tense up partially because they are not really watching the bounce of the ball. Hitting on the rise takes a bit more focus and mental strength to consistently see the ball bounce up into your strike zone.

Many people are just sort of too relaxed in their heads as they are used to the ball bouncing, going up, then going down. The brain doesnt need to try as hard to track the ball.

Concentrate on watching the bounce and swinging when that ball rises into the zone.

seb85
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Went out to practice groundstrokes today. I forced myself to stand up and take the ball on the rise- and yes it wasn't that difficult i just had to concentrate harder and watch the ball better. :)

The hardest thing was relaxing whilst doing it...

Also i started trying to correct the over rotation. I decided to kick my left leg very slightly forward before leaving the floor after the leg drive. Problem solved. Coming back tonight i noticed that a lot of the pros also do this. Could it really be this simple?!

Seb

Bungalo Bill
04-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Went out to practice groundstrokes today. I forced myself to stand up and take the ball on the rise- and yes it wasn't that difficult i just had to concentrate harder and watch the ball better. :)

The hardest thing was relaxing whilst doing it...

Also i started trying to correct the over rotation. I decided to kick my left leg very slightly forward before leaving the floor after the leg drive. Problem solved. Coming back tonight i noticed that a lot of the pros also do this. Could it really be this simple?!

Seb

Well when you are as good as you are, a little tweak here and a little tweak there can make a big difference. Remember, we arent really changing the way you hit the ball so much.

When hitting on the rise, you might want to start using a basic cadence (HIT-BOUNCE-HIT) to help you get comfortable and get the timing down. One of the benefits of hitting on the rise is that it will improve your ability to stay focused more in the point. You can't afford to be brain lazy when you start trying to hit on the rise more.

So hitting on the rise will:

1. Improve your ability to stay mentally focused in the point.

2. Improve your ability to read the ball off your opponents racquet sooner to improve your ability to setup for your next shot.

Now that you are learning this it is very important that you start learning that you dont need to use the same effort (it still requires some effort) to create pace on the ball. This is partially because you are hitting the ball when it comes off the ground as it is traveling faster. And since more balls are coming into your strike zone, you should be focused more on moving the ball around (placement) then anything else.

When you start working on hitting on the rise and improving your footwork and footspeed. Watch out!

hector
04-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Nice strokes. I have shoulder problems from my forehand and had some professional video analysis done. I managed to stop your video right at contact and you do the exact same thing I do. Your contact point is to late (ie not far out in front of you). In addition, you open your shoulders a little too early and the combination of these two things forces you to take the full force right in your shoulder.

The pro told me I need to synchronize and have both shoulders move more together as opposed to opening with one shoulder and lagging with other.

All that being said you have a lot of potential.

A.Davidson
04-08-2008, 05:54 PM

Same here, though I don't claim to know much about injuries in general, and I certainly don't know a thing about yours.

Is the forehand "fall back" influenced by the injury?

seb85
04-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Is the forehand "fall back" influenced by the injury?

Yes i think so. I have been very focussed on getting power from body rotation instead of arm recently.

Hector i didn't really understand what you meant? could you elaborate?

It could be trying not to hit the ball so hard. I think sometimes (you are a lot like I am) you try to create a winner when it is not there through force and power. So yes, overhitting could cause overotation. I love hitting the ball hard, the harder the better. However, I have learned over the years that sometimes hititng the ball hard, the ball comes back harder! I also tend to error more if my balance and conditioning isn't excellent. When it is, I will win. When it isn't, it is my match to lose.

BB Ive been going back over what has been said before going out to practice tomorrow- i love this paragraph- you got me right down to a tee! Especially the bit about balance and conditioning. When I'm in the zone, i feel perfectly balanced, like Im floating around the court. And surprise surprise, everything goes in!

I'm gonna try and work on taking the ball early again tomorrow. I think its all about discipline in maintaining the mental focus to do it.

Did the Quicktime videos work for you? Ive never done that before so Im not sure if i did it correctly...

Seb

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes i think so. I have been very focussed on getting power from body rotation instead of arm recently.

Hector i didn't really understand what you meant? could you elaborate?

BB Ive been going back over what has been said before going out to practice tomorrow- i love this paragraph- you got me right down to a tee! Especially the bit about balance and conditioning. When I'm in the zone, i feel perfectly balanced, like Im floating around the court. And surprise surprise, everything goes in!

I'm gonna try and work on taking the ball early again tomorrow. I think its all about discipline in maintaining the mental focus to do it.

Did the Quicktime videos work for you? Ive never done that before so Im not sure if i did it correctly...

Seb

Yes, no doubt. When my conditioning is off, even if I am 10lbs over wieght, it has an immediate affect on my game. Immediate!

Keep practicing your hit on the rise shots.

You need to now work on:

1. Conditioning
2. Footwork
3. Hitting on the rise

That is your focus for the next year.

I have not received the qucktimes. They must be in this post? right nwo, I dont have time, but will look later.

seb85
04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Sorry, i buried the link in lots of other text. I stuck the videos in my webspace since they are pretty large...

Seb

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Sorry, i buried the link in lots of other text. I stuck the videos in my webspace since they are pretty large...

Seb

Okay, I will take a look. Also, based on your main focus this year, you will still need to continue to perfect your stroke. Such as shoulder rotation, head movement/control. So you shouldnt be too bored this year. :)

hector
04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Look at 42 and 51 sec. Both forehands look okay in full speed. Try to stop right before contact and you will see the problem. You open your shoulders so your chest is parallel to the ball then whip you arm which causes the shoulders to finish the rotation. In other words your arm and torso are not syncronized. Look at your forehand in slow motion vs some pros and you will see that your right shoulder is lagging a bit relative to them. You open early stop the torso rotation and then whip the arm which then forces the torso to finish the rotation. Hope this helps.

seb85
04-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Update:-

Ive practised hitting on the rise (or at the top) a few times now and I'm finding it good and bad.

First the good:
Im able to hit harder, more consistantly and for longer without getting tired. Last time my usual hitting partner was gasping for breath whilst I was working up a very small sweat. (usually we're both gasping for breath). Ive shortened my FH backswing to accomodate the new hitting pattern. The reduction in over-rotation due to pushing my left hip and leg out a bit on big open stance forehands has improved my movement and recovery.

And the bad:
I'm finding it difficult to stay relaxed, esp through the forearm/wrist. Im tensing as the ball gets close. I know this is just mental, hopefully i'll get over it soon since when i make a specific effort let my wrist 'flop' things become much more consistant.
My game plan is suffering- some rejigging is required! Ive also been hitting some of the more 'pinpoint' shots out since pushing the left hip out to counter the over rotation. I'm sure this will subside soon as i get more used to it.

Seb

Bungalo Bill
04-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Update:-

Ive practised hitting on the rise (or at the top) a few times now and I'm finding it good and bad.

First the good:
Im able to hit harder, more consistantly and for longer without getting tired. Last time my usual hitting partner was gasping for breath whilst I was working up a very small sweat. (usually we're both gasping for breath). Ive shortened my FH backswing to accomodate the new hitting pattern. The reduction in over-rotation due to pushing my left hip and leg out a bit on big open stance forehands has improved my movement and recovery.

Good, you are seeing the benefits. This will payoff.

And the bad:
I'm finding it difficult to stay relaxed, esp through the forearm/wrist. Im tensing as the ball gets close. I know this is just mental, hopefully i'll get over it soon since when i make a specific effort let my wrist 'flop' things become much more consistant.
My game plan is suffering- some rejigging is required! Ive also been hitting some of the more 'pinpoint' shots out since pushing the left hip out to counter the over rotation. I'm sure this will subside soon as i get more used to it.

Seb

Rome wasn't built in a day. If you want to take your game to the next level, you will have to buckle down, understand this is a process, and keep working at it.

I saved your videos under favorites so I will get to them soon. Tax week sort of set me behind on some things.

seb85
04-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Yep I know its gonna take hard work. Perfect practice makes perfect eh:wink:

Tax week eh? Something I have to look forward to next year when I leave college...:|

Thanks in advance for looking at the vids.

Seb

Djokovicfan4life
04-14-2008, 11:54 AM

Tax week eh? Something I have to look forward to next year when I leave college...:|

Seb
I got $80 back on my taxes! Woot! :)

Ah, the joys of being young.

Bungalo Bill
04-16-2008, 08:05 PM

Seb

Hey Seb

Took a look at your strokes. Besides what has already been said:

Backhand
1. Shoulder rotation on the onehander is very shallow. Work on bringing the front shoulder more under your chin on the takeback and backswing.

2. Non-dominant arm needs to get more involved holding your rotation from not allowing your shoulders to open up too soon

Forehand
1. Should rotation again. Need a bit more on the takeback.

2. Relax more and develop a controlled steady swing through the ball. Develop your rally swing which allows you to place the ball and have pace. If you cant place the ball (move the ball around) slow it down and use 80% power to manage this. Your goal is to use pace to place the ball and keep your consistency.

3. Non-dominant arm needs to be more active instead of passive. Bring this into your body more on the followthrough for rotation control. Also, during your forward swing allow it to extend scanning the contact zone.

Short ball recognition: You move laterally okay but your recognition of the shorter ball was slow which made you get there too late. Use the HIT-BOUNCE-HIT cadence to improve your ability to recognize whatever ball you are getting before the ball crosses on your side of the net.

I will look at serves later.