PDA

View Full Version : Recognizing hand-dominance, shouldn't this be easy?

racquet_jedi
04-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I was talking with my friend the other day about recognizing what your opponent's dominant hand is and he said that it would take a while for him to notice if his opponent was a lefty or not...

Shouldn't you be able to tell your opponent's hand dominance right away? I mean seriously, it's right there for you to see...

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 02:59 PM
I was talking with my friend the other day about recognizing what your opponent's dominant hand is and he said that it would take a while for him to notice if his opponent was a lefty or not...

Shouldn't you be able to tell your opponent's hand dominance right away? I mean seriously, it's right there for you to see...

No, it happens all the time. I am lefthanded and even players that are practiced and at an advanced level are slow to recognize this. Mind you, the advanced players are a heck of a lot quicker to recognize it though to be fair.

TennisProdigy
04-03-2008, 03:11 PM
People have a tough time recognizing that I'm left handed b/c I do that entire warm-up right handed and at a 3.0 level :)

JK Yeah very easy to see what hand is his dominent hand, just pick right and you'll be right 90% of the time.

Another idea is to see which forearm on his arm is bigger or if you shake his hand if he has callouses on it.

Essential Tennis
04-03-2008, 03:13 PM
No, it happens all the time. I am lefthanded and even players that are practiced and at an advanced level are slow to recognize this. Mind you, the advanced players are a heck of a lot quicker to recognize it though to be fair.

I'm a south paw as well Bill, and yes it happens with me all the time as well. I can give a weekly private to a 3.0 player for months before they first notice, heh.

As Bill said, a higher level player is going to notice much more quickly. Lefties also have a tendency to pick out other lefties much more quickly. It's something I usually take note of well before the first ball is hit with a new lesson.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 03:13 PM
People have a tough time recognizing that I'm left handed b/c I do that entire warm-up right handed and at a 3.0 level :)

LOL, the trickster.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Lefties also have a tendency to pick out other lefties much more quickly. It's something I usually take note of well before the first ball is hit with a new lesson.

Yes, because it looks so wierd.