PDA

View Full Version : So apparently Roddick has learnt to Volley...

jmverdugo
04-03-2008, 06:05 PM
and not only that but in both sides!!.

Seriously, I think he has really improved his game a lot, he is not going for broke on every shot, is slicing more and not approaching cross court, he is using his backhand more wisely using more control and less power, and his serve is, well, as usual. I saw a lot of point construction and game plan in his last matches. But what amaze me the most is that he is actually volleying the way is supposed to be, a short and simple movement, and not the ugly fast almost accidentally he used to do.

I am happy for him, good work pay off. JMO.

NamRanger
04-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Eh, he just hit balls deeper mainly. Occasionally he'll find the rhythm on his forehand and just rip it left and right.

itsstephenyo
04-03-2008, 06:09 PM
He hit a 101 mph forehand in the first set, I believe. Didn't even need to put it in a corner. The shot just left Fed watching.

Tennis_Monk
04-03-2008, 06:28 PM
his game improved no doubt. not sure if thats good enough against the best.

logansc
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM

He has beaten players ranked 1-3 in the past month. Does that qualify?

NamRanger
04-03-2008, 06:51 PM
He has beaten players ranked 1-3 in the past month. Does that qualify?

Against 2 and 3 his forehand was on fire. His backhand was good too, he was pushing both Nadal and Djokovic around with both groundies. Against Federer, he was just plain horrible in comparasion.

logansc
04-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I didn't get to see it, so he basically served his way out?

ledor
04-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I think he's better when a Hall of Fame coach is not yelling in his ear.

aceroberts13
04-03-2008, 07:23 PM

That's rich! I hope you are kidding.

Tshooter
04-03-2008, 11:45 PM
His net game is appalling. He has absolutely no court sense whatsoever once he crosses the service line. And hands of lead.

jmverdugo
04-04-2008, 04:02 AM
His net game is appalling. He has absolutely no court sense whatsoever once he crosses the service line. And hands of lead.

This was what i thought too. I am not a Roddick fan, but in his last matches i have seen an amazing improvement specially in the net department. In more than a couple of points on the net he went for placement and not for power, those were the situations when instead of an easy putaway he would choose to blast the ball, that has changed as, IMO, has also change his mind while playing.

However, hi is still Roddick, he didnt have a lobotomy, but he is choosing better when to unlish (sp?) his power.

RestockingTues
04-04-2008, 04:06 AM

"Take a shot every time Roddick approaches crosscourt and gets passed."

You'll be smashed by the second set! :D

DJG
04-04-2008, 04:12 AM
I must say that I was a bit disappointed with his volley skills yesterday against Fed. However, I'm almost 100% certain his volleys beat my attempts at the same stroke.

Djokovicfan4life
04-04-2008, 04:13 AM
"Take a shot every time Roddick approaches crosscourt and gets passed."

You'll be smashed by the second set! :D

OMG, some of those approaches were absolutely HORRIFIC, he ran around to his forehand moving almost completely off of the court and then hit an inside out approach leaving the ENTIRE court open. Fed basically hit it down the middle for a winner.

Good for Andy though, nice to see him getting a LITTLE success against Federer, albeit very small. I don't really like Roddick but he certainly deserved it.

Ash Doyle
04-04-2008, 04:20 AM
I like Roddick ok, so I don't want this be read as a slam on Roddick, but... He won 33% of the points when he came to net, and hit only 1 volley winner. He played good in this match, but it was NOT his net game that won it. I watched the matched, and I'm shocked that his stats on net approaches was as high as 33%. Coming to the net is just not in his best interest.

RestockingTues
04-04-2008, 04:23 AM
OMG, some of those approaches were absolutely HORRIFIC, he ran around to his forehand moving almost completely off of the court and then hit an inside out approach leaving the ENTIRE court open. Fed basically hit it down the middle for a winner.

Good for Andy though, nice to see him getting a LITTLE success against Federer, albeit very small. I don't really like Roddick but he certainly deserved it.

Yeah, maybe this will be the confidence booster that'll turn his career around though; he's been on a good streak for a while now.

atomicx
04-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Honestly, I must say I wasn't impressed with Roddick's volleying skills at all yesterday. Don't get me wrong, he played really well, but his volleys did little to help him win IMO. Andy's serve helped him tremendously yesterday, and Federer always seemed to be about a half step behind in his footwork for some reason which put him off balance on a lot of his shots.