PDA

View Full Version : Arnaud Boetsch

jmsx521
04-03-2008, 07:50 PM
I found it funny, I searched TW for Arnaud Boetsch, and there was not a single topic on him... yet the guy was #12 ATP in 1996. Only in one thread his name was mentioned because of his ranking.

He had nice smooth shot-making kind of backhand... hit many winners with it.... Although, if I can remember well he was kind of stiff on the forehand side. He also beat Courier in Key Biscayne one time in the mid 90s: It was televised.

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=B053

nickynu
04-06-2008, 03:18 PM
I found it funny, I searched TW for Arnaud Boetsch, and there was not a single topic on him... yet the guy was #12 ATP in 1996. Only in one thread his name was mentioned because of his ranking.

He had nice smooth shot-making kind of backhand... hit many winners with it.... Although, if I can remember well he was kind of stiff on the forehand side. He also beat Courier in Key Biscayne one time in the mid 90s: It was televised.

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=B053

Just cos I am worried about the Boetsch vacumn, heres my best memory. 1993 (I think) I had scored some tickets to the old court1 for my first ever wimbledon visit. He played Lendl (who the crowd felt sorry for after so much wimbledon heartache over the years) and nobody else cheered for boetsch except my friend and I. For some reason we pretended to be french (dont ask seemed a good idea at the time) with our fading schoolboy french. Anyway pretty sure Arnaud won on 4sets but could be wrong, what I will never forget are the artictic passing shots he hit that day - amazing

laurie
04-06-2008, 03:33 PM
My memory of Arnaud was that absolutely amazing Davis Cup final in 1996 between France and Sweden, one of the best Davis Cup finals of recent times.

andreh
04-07-2008, 12:29 AM
My memory of Arnaud was that absolutely amazing Davis Cup final in 1996 between France and Sweden, one of the best Davis Cup finals of recent times.

I was there for the second day when Boetch beat Kulti 10-8 in the fifth! I've never seen a happier guy than Boetch after the match point.

Two great matches and atmossphere was just amazing.

jayserinos99
04-07-2008, 12:57 AM
I found this video of him losing to Marc Rosset in 1994. I had always thought that Boetsch was a Prestige guy, but he was a Radical guy. Anyway, thanks for bringing back some memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVeljsGMWk0

Moose Malloy
04-08-2008, 10:31 AM
was there for the second day when Boetch beat Kulti 10-8 in the fifth!

didn't he save some match points in that match? I think it may have been the only time in DC final history that a team was down 'tie' match point & came back to win. and didn't Pioline have match point vs Enqvist that day as well?

here was the score on Boetsch-Kulti: 7-6 2-6 4-6 7-6 10-8

Tshooter
04-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I always enjoyed watching him play. Like I enjoy most of the French players. AB had a sweet backhand.

Gaucho Behrend
05-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Very good shotmaker, used to be a member of the Church of Scientology, but he left that group.

Now, he is doing some commentary.

Micce
05-02-2008, 09:07 AM
didn't he save some match points in that match?

I watched highlights of that match on my old video tape...yes, Kulti had 3 match points in a row at 7-6 5th set (Boetsch was serving) and almost became a national hero, but Boetsch survived. Edberg hurt his ankle against Pioline during the 1st rubber and couldn't play, so the Swedish team decided to choose Kulti for the decisive rubber. I was a bit surprised that they didn't choose Magnus Larsson.

In the Semi-Final against Italy Boetsch also won the 5th decisive rubber (vs. Gaudenzi), so he was a true Davis Cup hero of France in 1996.

I think it may have been the only time in DC final history that a team was down 'tie' match point & came back to win

That's also true.

and didn't Pioline have match point vs Enqvist that day as well?

Pioline didn't have match point vs Enqvist but he was serving for the match at 5-3 in the 5th set.

Moose Malloy
05-02-2008, 09:27 AM
^thanks for your reply

EL_Bombadero
10-30-2013, 06:34 AM
Is this really the only thread on Arnaud Boetsch?
I could get some Prestige classics he used...
Did he use the Lacoste LT301, too???
What do you think are these rackets worth?

chrischris
10-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Very good shotmaker, used to be a member of the Church of Scientology, but he left that group.

Now, he is doing some commentary.

Is that a rock band?

ScentOfDefeat
10-30-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm pretty sure I mentioned Arnaud Boetsch a few weeks ago. Good player, but usually more of a threat during the season ending indoor tournaments. I was supporting Sweden in that Davis Cup final against France (because it was Edberg's last appearance in the year he retired), so the outcome was heartbreaking for me.

Mustard
10-30-2013, 09:07 AM
I most remember Boetsch for beating Lendl at 1993 Wimbledon.

jaggy
10-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Is that a rock band?

Satanic death metal

Gonzalito17
11-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Nice to see talk about a largely forgotten great player. To do what Boetsch did in Davis Cup absolutely qualifies him as a "great player."

jelle v
11-05-2013, 11:42 AM
I mainly remember Boetsch for his eyes.. he had these eyelids (under) which always seemed like he hadn't been sleeping for 7 days straight or something, well at least in my memory..

I also remember he had a very nice backhand.