PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion Please...

dParis
01-05-2005, 12:34 PM
It's about time I actually bought my own raquet, so I've taken 3 for a test drive. As of this moment, I'm not yet sold.

Pro Kennex Ki5- Thought I would like this one the most and out of the box it looked so sweet. The head seemed small for 100 sq. in. and the sweet spot was smaller than I expected. I don't think I buy the Kinnetic/Ionic stuff. This stick's stability and comfort were decent but nothing special, especially when I compare it to the Volkl V-1 classic or Wilson n6.1 95. Very low powered also, maybe too flexy.

Babolat PC MP- Nice heft and power but unpredictable. Slices seemed to float high and forever...

Volkl V-9 16X19- This one is still in the running. Volkls just seem to have a nice feel and are easy for me to hit. But I need to play w/this one more. I get the impression it may have an inconsistant stringbed.

So...I'm looking for a raquet with characteristics like the Wilson n6.1 95, but more forgiving (98-102in. head).

Suggestions would be appreciated :-)

P.S.- I like the V-1 Classic too, but I'd like something more head light and I can't serve with it.

mach1
01-05-2005, 08:05 PM
wussup dparis...i have nothing to contribute but asking other knowledgable people on this board to chime in and give you some help...please?

oh yeah and to put this post at the top of the forum.

dParis
01-05-2005, 08:09 PM
I appreciate your thought. Maybe my post rambled on a bit. I may try to re-post more concisley (SP?).
Thanks,
Dan

mverdugo
01-05-2005, 09:03 PM
You may want to consider RDX 500 MP. Despite the continuous underrating of this racquet on the message board, I found it to be more comfortable than Volkl V1 and it is an excellent serving racquet with more weight. Great placement and fair on serves excellent from the ground. While the stick I play with has better feel in my opinion, this one has a pretty good feel to it. I haven't switched to this racquet yet but it is probably my next move. The 500 Mid if for advanced players in my opinion. I am a 4.5 in San Diego and I am not ready for the mid. Hope this is helpful.

TripleB
01-06-2005, 04:05 AM
From your three I've tried the Babolat and the Volkl. Of those two I would go with the Volkl. Although it wasn't a STAND OUT racquet when I playtested it for TW, I can see where it could be a very good racquet with the right string and maybe some lead tape added.

mverdugo gave you some great advice. I've demoed MANY racquets for a long time and the Yonex RDX-500 Midplus is the best I've found. It's just fantastic from all over the court. I'm also a 4.5 player and found that I preferred the Midplus over the Mid (and I had a chance to compare them side by side for two weeks).

Good luck in your search.

TripleB

AndrewD
01-06-2005, 04:27 AM
I'd suggest having a look at the comparitive review BreakPoint did for TW recently and then give the Head LM Radical Midplus a trial. Its a 98 head and, from memory BP gave it a very good write up.

I demoed it and loved it. Not overpowering by any means but more than enough on the serve and groundstrokes and fantastic control. You could take a full swing and not worry about overhitting. Nice touch at net but a little bit more pop up there than I like. Also, you cana string it tight if you like and still have good comfort.

Unfortunately here in Australia its too expensive, but you might have more luck where you are.

dParis
01-06-2005, 05:47 AM
I had previously demoed the LM Prestige, RDX-500 and n6.1 95, and found them to be too demanding (I'm 3.5, playing 2 yrs.). The n6.1 95 was my favorite of the 3 by far, so I am hoping there might be a raquet out there with similar characteristics- just more forgiving. I may give the LM Radical a try.
Thanks for your feedback!

mverdugo
01-06-2005, 07:35 PM
I have demoed all of the racquets that you are looking at and prefer the V1 first and the PK second. Not a big fan of Babolat or the VEngine technology. The club I play at sells Volkl exclusively and almost all of the VEngines have stayed on the wall. Must be something to it. Choosing between the PK and V1, I liked the V1 because it is light and more maneuverable at the net yet you still need to take a full swing from the baseline. PK would be good if you think you need a little more heft. Both arm friendly but I would lean toward PK on this front. Hope this helps. Forgot--If you want to throw in a racquet that is similar to Volkl V1, may want to try Yonex Vcon 17--a tad head heavy but really nice feel. If you like them on the lighter side and you play more doubles than singles this is also a really nice choice.

Ronaldo
01-06-2005, 08:45 PM
dParis, maybe u can ask TW to balance the V1 the same as the ncode 6.1. U get it all.