PDA

View Full Version : Usual reasons for balls going long?

Mansewerz
04-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Lately my balls have been flying long. My coach has told me to drive the ball and really step in with my front foot and move into the shot, so i've been trying to do so while implementing stuff from Fuzzy yellow balls. Most of my shots tend to land in the service box, and i need to get them a lot deeper than that. But now the ball just flys 6" to 1 1/2' long. What gives?

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Lately my balls have been flying long. My coach has told me to drive the ball and really step in with my front foot and move into the shot, so i've been trying to do so while implementing stuff from Fuzzy yellow balls. Most of my shots tend to land in the service box, and i need to get them a lot deeper than that. But now the ball just flys 6" to 1 1/2' long. What gives?

Might be letting the ball drop too much and you are drooping the racquet head golfing the ball so to speak.

Mansewerz
04-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Might be letting the ball drop too much and you are drooping the racquet head golfing the ball so to speak.

That could be possible. Recently, i've been taking balls usually at the top of the rise, hard to get it on the rise right after it bounces. I don't recall thinking about the height of the ball at contact. I was hitting low balls long as well, so this might be it.

Oh and sorry for teh lack of information. I usually use a a neutral stance on my forehand, sometimes slightly more open, but usually neutral. I also use a SW forehand grip. Sometimes the racquet twists and I forget to turn to my grip again.

Also, when I play with my bro, I lose a lot of my fundamental teachings. I guess it's just pressure. he's on varsity as a sophomore. Any tips on dealing with my mental game as well?

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 09:21 PM
That could be possible. Recently, i've been taking balls usually at the top of the rise, hard to get it on the rise right after it bounces. I don't recall thinking about the height of the ball at contact. I was hitting low balls long as well, so this might be it.

Oh and sorry for teh lack of information. I usually use a a neutral stance on my forehand, sometimes slightly more open, but usually neutral. I also use a SW forehand grip. Sometimes the racquet twists and I forget to turn to my grip again.

Also, when I play with my bro, I lose a lot of my fundamental teachings. I guess it's just pressure. he's on varsity as a sophomore. Any tips on dealing with my mental game as well?

This why I favor players hitting on the rise. You tend to hit more balls in the preferred strike zone.

Mansewerz
04-03-2008, 09:34 PM
This why I favor players hitting on the rise. You tend to hit more balls in the preferred strike zone.

I see. I'll do my best to use this method, my coach recommends the same thing and it's no surprise why. I guess it just takes practice?

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 09:42 PM
I see. I'll do my best to use this method, my coach recommends the same thing and it's no surprise why. I guess it just takes practice?

Just dont over think it and give yourself room to learn it. It takes time before you can see the ball rising.

At first, it seems like a blur, that at the bounce and the ball rising seems so fast that it is hard to time it.

But after awhile, if you keeping focusing on the bounce of the ball and getting to the bounce, the ball will seem to rise slower and you will be able to hit through it.

It is simply shifting your senses and executing the stroke.

So focus, dont swing as hard, and relax through the ball.

Mansewerz
04-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Just dont over think it and give yourself room to learn it. It takes time before you can see the ball rising.

At first, it seems like a blur, that at the bounce and the ball rising seems so fast that it is hard to time it.

But after awhile, if you keeping focusing on the bounce of the ball and getting to the bounce, the ball will seem to rise slower and you will be able to hit through it.

It is simply shifting your senses and executing the stroke.

So focus, dont swing as hard, and relax through the ball.

Thanks, i'll try that out in my match tomorrow.

Bungalo Bill
04-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks, i'll try that out in my match tomorrow.

Whoa match? You mean in practice first! Right? I wouldnt recommend doing it in your match as you will be discouraged because you are putting it into real action right away. If you havent trained for it, and dont have success, you wont want to do it anymore.

Practice taking balls on the rise with a slow feed at first and work your way up to real game situations.

pow
04-03-2008, 10:19 PM

Not enough spin to drive ratio.
The more drive you hit on your ball, you need more spin to bring the ball down in time.

Hot Sauce
04-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Your racquet face could be too open. Try closing the face a bit, or adding more top spin to bring the ball down.

Tennisguy777
04-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Strings could be loose, when was the last time you restrung? You could string a tad tighter to get more control.

Nellie
04-04-2008, 06:21 AM
If you are early, you will also tend to hit long

FedererISBetter
04-04-2008, 09:03 AM
if you want the ball to land deeper while giving that drive-through, you need to complensate (sp) with more top to make it go down. Its like I would hit the same shot from the baseline and while coming up to the net down the line, making sure the ball is as deepest as it can be with that much topspin and drive (pace) when I put on it. Its gonna feel uncomfortable and youre probably be skeptical at first.... it only take practice before applying it into your gameplays. Good luck!

Doc Hollidae
04-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Bad footwork.

czech09
04-04-2008, 09:44 AM
To summarize:

Open racket face, bad footwork, and hitting the ball too late. Those are assuming you have good form. If you don't then it might that you're using your wrist as well (which relates to the open racket face).

Mansewerz
04-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Whoa match? You mean in practice first! Right? I wouldnt recommend doing it in your match as you will be discouraged because you are putting it into real action right away. If you havent trained for it, and dont have success, you wont want to do it anymore.

Practice taking balls on the rise with a slow feed at first and work your way up to real game situations.

Yea, I'm gonna practice it. Couldn't really use it in the match anyways!

Your racquet face could be too open. Try closing the face a bit, or adding more top spin to bring the ball down.

How would i go about adding more spin?

Strings could be loose, when was the last time you restrung? You could string a tad tighter to get more control.

Hmm, had it strung back in late February. Have it strung at 65 lbs, max tension. I doubt it's the strings tho.