PDA

View Full Version : federer might not be able to equal Sampras's 6 consecutive years at no.1 streak

BeHappy
04-03-2008, 09:09 PM
I absolutely believe that it's the mono that is making Federer play so poorly, (relatively speaking of course), and fully expect him to storm back next year, but does he have it in him to finish the year at no.1 and equal Sampras's 6 year streak, and if he does, will he then be able to break Sampras's record?

roundiesee
04-03-2008, 10:23 PM
It's unlikely that Fed is too concerned re this record. I think it's the FO and Pete's 14 Slams record that he's after.

leonardtay
04-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Guys, just a gentle statement that Roger feels he is no longer suffering from mononucleosis and his fitness trainer's opinion is that physical fitness wise Roger is back to 95% or so which according to Roger, should make close to no difference than if he were at 100%. (All this in the post match presser after the Roddick Miami match). Roger says that sometime in the near future he may go for one last medical to make sure that the mono is really licked but he is not sure when. What Roger is lacking now is match practice and match winning mentality which hopefully he will gain as he gets more competitive matches under his belt. So it is not 100% correct to say that Roger is playing badly because of the mono but it is the after effects that has delayed his physical and mental preparation.

NamRanger
04-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Guys, just a gentle statement that Roger feels he is no longer suffering from mononucleosis and his fitness trainer's opinion is that physical fitness wise Roger is back to 95% or so which according to Roger, should make close to no difference than if he were at 100%. (All this in the post match presser after the Roddick Miami match). Roger says that sometime in the near future he may go for one last medical to make sure that the mono is really licked but he is not sure when. What Roger is lacking now is match practice and match winning mentality which hopefully he will gain as he gets more competitive matches under his belt. So it is not 100% correct to say that Roger is playing badly because of the mono but it is the after effects that has delayed his physical and mental preparation.

Sorry, his speed and reactions just aren't there. Some of those serves Roger routinely returns, he just couldn't get a racquet on it.

onkystomper
04-03-2008, 11:23 PM
I thought Fed had the record for consecutive weeks at no.1 Sampras just has more weeks there total at the moment!

christos_liaskos
04-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Even when he was dominating the tour I didnt think he would make the 6 consecutive year mark. After missing out on the year end no1 ranking in 2003, I thought that would be his down fall. Turns out he may not have made it anyway, we will have to see how this year turns out in the end

fastdunn
04-04-2008, 12:10 AM
It's unlikely that Fed is too concerned re this record. I think it's the FO and Pete's 14 Slams record that he's after.

hmm... # of slams most important. but duration at the #1 is also important.

as far as i know 5 all time greats(laver, budge, gonzales, sampras, tilden) have stayed at #1 for 6 - 8 consecutive years. (sampras only at 6 but only one with fully official pro ranking).

they all basically dominated almost a decade. federer is only at about half way at about 5 years now..... in terms of duration at the top spot.

stormholloway
04-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Sorry, his speed and reactions just aren't there. Some of those serves Roger routinely returns, he just couldn't get a racquet on it.

He is returning the fastest serve in the history of the game. He may miss a couple.

I agree with the statement that he's healthy but isn't match tough and confident. It will come. Roddick is no pushover. He beat Nadal and Djokovic recently.

caulcano
04-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I absolutely believe that it's the mono that is making Federer play so poorly, (relatively speaking of course), and fully expect him to storm back next year, but does he have it in him to finish the year at no.1 and equal Sampras's 6 year streak, and if he does, will he then be able to break Sampras's record?

A very high possibility with the way Federer has been playing. But I'm sure he'll take a FO & more than 14 GS titles over consecutive number of years as #1.

fastdunn
04-04-2008, 12:43 AM
yeah, "consecutive"ness of years at #1 isn't very important.

total # of years would count though.

but once you lose it, it might not be easy to get it back although federer is pretty far away from losing it yet...

Andres
04-04-2008, 05:11 AM
Plus he has Madrid and Paris to rack up a few points by the end of the year.

simi
04-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Keep in mind that Pete's record is "year ending" ranking, not total or consecutive weeks at a ranking. There were many times during Sampras' streak when he was not the #1 ranked player. In 1995, he was the #2 ranked player for more weeks than he was the #1 ranked player. The only two years where he was the #1 ranked player from start to finish was 1994 and 1997. Still a remarkable record in any case. That sixth year is what did him in. He was never the same after that.