PDA

View Full Version : trouble misshitting and framing

syne8691
04-03-2008, 10:26 PM
hey, i'm new to TW forums so I apologize in advance if i'm lacking information to diagnose my problem..

i have a problem of framing and mis-hitting a lot of my shots, both groundstrokes and volleys, but i can't figure out a reason why and how to fix it..

does anyone have any tips to improve contact with the ball?

2leftfeet
04-03-2008, 10:32 PM
try this drill. check out his others vids. this guy's videos are good for developing good technique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtOsr29lvp8

Northpaw
04-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Okay, I know this troubleshooting sounds trivial, but I'm telling you because it's usually what I'm doing wrong, in order of likeliness.

Groundstrokes-

1.) Take the freaking racket back. There's no way in hell you're going to make contact in front of you if you don't have some kind of take back, especially on your backhand

2.) Don't be lazy and wait for the ball to come to you, actually move towards the quickly so you'll be able to set up your shots. You should utilize every second you have before the ball comes to set up.

3.) Look at the ball at the moment of contact, and keep your head down for a split second after the ball has left. The person on the other side of the court probably isn't going anywhere, focus your attention on what matters more.

Volleys-
1.) Keep your arms out in FRONT of you. It's pretty much impossible to hit a clean volley if the ball is beside you. If you have to reach backwards to hit a normal volley, something's desperately wrong.

2.) Don't swing. You definitely don't have enough time, and it's an almost guaranteed shank.

Obviously for me, my biggest problem is catching the ball late. Whenever I start sucking, I focus on hitting the ball out in front of me, and wa-lah, I stop sucking. Well, these are my problems, I'm not sure how much it'll help you. :wink:

split-step
04-03-2008, 10:49 PM
hey, i'm new to TW forums so I apologize in advance if i'm lacking information to diagnose my problem..

i have a problem of framing and mis-hitting a lot of my shots, both groundstrokes and volleys, but i can't figure out a reason why and how to fix it..

Most obvious answer is to make sure you are keeping your eyes on the ball and tracking it as close as possible to your racquet.

If you do a search you will find the 'hit-bounce-hit' aide.
Here you say hit as your opponent hits the ball, bounce as it bounces in your court and hit as you hit the ball. You have to be looking at the ball to do this.

Something may be up with your swing causing you too shank but no way to know that without seeing you hit.

Hot Sauce
04-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Watch the ball. Follow it the whole way until it makes contact with your strings.

syne8691
04-03-2008, 11:28 PM
thanks for the tips, i will try it tomorrow when i get a chance to hit.

for the first suggestion, is there any way to do that by yourself? considering i don't think anyone would like feeding me balls..

also i "shank" the ball more often when I'm trying to hit faster. Lately I've been making more mistakes when attempting to swing faster (obviously an error here), does anyone have any suggestions to hit deeper (my shots land short, near the service line) while maintaining good contact?

Djokovicfan4life
04-04-2008, 05:07 AM
thanks for the tips, i will try it tomorrow when i get a chance to hit.

for the first suggestion, is there any way to do that by yourself? considering i don't think anyone would like feeding me balls..

also i "shank" the ball more often when I'm trying to hit faster. Lately I've been making more mistakes when attempting to swing faster (obviously an error here), does anyone have any suggestions to hit deeper (my shots land short, near the service line) while maintaining good contact?

The reason you shank it when you go for more is probably because you're going for a winner and you lift your head up too soon to see where your shots going.

Keep your head down and practice a lot, that's all there is to it, really.

albino smurf
04-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Is your wrist set? If it is happening when you are hitting hard I'd guess your wrist/hand is turning with your swing.

k_liu
04-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Don't wait for it to come to you. Step into the ball and hit it early. Stay down and watch the ball hit your string bed.

baek57
04-04-2008, 06:02 AM
try to stay focused on the point of contact even after you hit the ball. this will ensure that you dont pick up your body (and racquet) before you hit the ball.

Nellie
04-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Keep your eyes on the ball!

quicken
04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
You are looking at the wrong spot. Look at the ball.

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2008, 12:33 PM

It could very well be head movement pulling you or changing your racquet path at the last second. Something is pulling, lifting, or lowering your racquet at the last moment off path.

I couldbe many things from your body position to your head. Go back to the basics and read through some of the posts I write on players that pull too soon out of their rotation into the ball.