PDA

View Full Version : Good old marketing spin...

david aames
01-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Those guys were obviously not born yesterday...

What the heck is electro bond welded? 70s slang for liquidmetal?

http://i4.****img.com/03/i/03/15/86/86_3.JPG

Ronaldo
01-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Wood tennis racquets are constructed of thin sheets or laminates welded/glued together to form the racquet. Each sheet can be constructed of different materials or even different types of wood. These laminates can be coated using a electro-bonding process to change the properties of the laminate. Believe this was how Head, Fischer, Yamaha, and Volkl got into the tennis racquet manufacturing biz from ski technology. That was the genesis of all our arm problems.

moosryan
01-05-2005, 02:48 PM
just out of curiousity, what is that red stuff? its on my maxply too

Deuce
01-05-2005, 11:37 PM
The pretty red things at the top and bottom of the string bed are simply decorations. They have no other purpose that I, or anyone else I've spoken with or read, knows of.

They were a fairly standard feature with wood, and even some metal, racquets in the 60s and 70s. I guess someone just tied them on at one point, and the idea just caught on for some reason. Had that person applied for a patent, he/she would have been rich. Go figure...

Craig Sheppard
01-06-2005, 05:18 AM
I just love their slogan--straight and to the point. Why beat around the bush?

"Winning is easier with a Chemold Tennis Racket!"

Do I get a guarantee with that? If I don't win in sraight sets, then it wasn't easy! Can I get my money back?

Ronaldo
01-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Deuce, not completely sure of this but remember those threads were used to determine which player had the choice to serve or return by calling threads in or out. Before my time as I started playing in 77.

NoBadMojo
01-06-2005, 07:09 AM
ronaldo it was called 'rough or smooth' when the racquet was spun to determine who served first, etc from what i was taught by someone even older than me.......perhaps someone else has a better memory of this.

joe sch
01-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Both woodies and graphite use lamination process to glue the various materials that comprise the composite rackets. Materials have improved over the years and so have glues, there are lots of stiffer and stronger graphite composite materials and better lamination epoxies for doing these composites. Marketing has remained pretty much the same, makeup fancy terms for engineering processes ;) Old school rackets used tremlings, which were the diff types and colors of strings that were not only threaded above and below the top/bottom cross strings (still legal today I believe) and also used intricate patterns around the sweetspots (not legal today) Stenciling has replaced tremling today and its really a lost art for the custom stringers since anybody can spray or paint a stencil but it took expert stringing capabilities to do some of the tremling patterns. Many of the old school rackets also had double, triple and more center mains and/or cross strings for denser patterns, which also looked very cool. This is another lost art that would be illegal today and considered a variant of speghetti stringing. I say change the stringing rules and allow custom stringing variants. This would permit more craftsmenship for custom stringing and allow some crafty players who could impress the viewing public with unusual spins and strategies.

PS : See/Post the new poll on this subject I created under the stringing section ...

Ronaldo
01-06-2005, 08:18 AM
NoBad, that is it. Rarely saw those "tremlings" back in the day. Only had two real wood racquets, Maxply Fort and a Wilson Advantage. Joe s. thanks for the info

david aames
01-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Hmm, no... It's clearly there to attach the round marketing piece to the strings... I guess most players back then didn't care enough to untie them.

But maybe you can apply for that patent and give the money you make with it to charity (without us knowing of course ; )

The pretty red things at the top and bottom of the string bed are simply decorations. They have no other purpose that I, or anyone else I've spoken with or read, knows of.

They were a fairly standard feature with wood, and even some metal, racquets in the 60s and 70s. I guess someone just tied them on at one point, and the idea just caught on for some reason. Had that person applied for a patent, he/she would have been rich. Go figure...