PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To This Federer??

jman
04-04-2008, 02:12 AM
I wish he would play like this again :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QowKtnB5jSg

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-04-2008, 03:20 AM
everyone has their bad runs, what's wrong with losing in the QF to a guy who played amazingly?

dr325i
04-04-2008, 04:04 AM
everyone has their bad runs, what's wrong with losing in the QF to a guy who played amazingly?

I don't think anything is wrong losing to AR in the QF, when Andy played the way he did last night.
However, I do think that something is not right when #1 cannot win a tournament in more than 3 months...actually, cannot even reach the finals...

It is obvious that Fed is not playing on the same level he did last year, why -- don't know. He's just not moving right, many times 1/2 the step behind. His backhands sometimes looked ridiculous last night...

Hope this is just a temporary slump for him...

BreakPoint
04-04-2008, 05:11 AM
I don't think Federer has fully recovered from his bout of mono yet.

It's obvious. I mean losing to both Fish and Roddick in the same month? Come on now, what are the odds of that? He was like 20-1 against them or something before. Federer is not yet 100%.

jetlee2k
04-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Fed strokes seem lack of power behind it.. It seems that he put more spin behind his shots... What happen to that full lethal power forehand that he trade mark off?? I now believe he needs a coach to fix little thing .. Andy Roddick play well but Fed play below his game..

BallzofSkill
04-04-2008, 06:22 AM
I don't think Federer has fully recovered from his bout of mono yet.

It's obvious. I mean losing to both Fish and Roddick in the same month? Come on now, what are the odds of that? He was like 20-1 against them or something before. Federer is not yet 100%.

then he might never recover considering that both he and his trainer thinks that he's okay now, near 100%.

sureshs
04-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Federer is losing because he suffers from mono - ********handitis. Time to switch to a duo backhand.

BreakPoint
04-04-2008, 12:53 PM
then he might never recover considering that both he and his trainer thinks that he's okay now, near 100%.
That's what they may think, but he's obviously not at 100% and is playing below the level he has sustained for the past 5 years.

Sometimes you play even with a cold or a slight injury and you think you're fine but you're really not.

split-step
04-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I can't believe some of the excuses I am hearing in this thread. You would think Serena was in here.

tkramer15
04-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I thought Roddick served very well, as he usually does, but other than a few exchanges late in the first set, I didn't come away thinking that Roddick played an incredible, outstanding match. I actually believe he's played better against Federer in a couple of his losses to him (Masters Cup round robin in '06, U.S. Open QF in '07). Andy did do an excellent job of staying focused mentally throughout. He never once let up.

Clearly, Federer did not play up to the same standard that we have become accustomed to over the last four plus years. He did look a bit sluggish at times and made some really uncharacteristic mishit errors on fairly routine rally shots. And the biggest thing I saw was that Federer seemed to get tight and choke when he lost serve at love at 3-4 in the third. Now look, I'm not a proponent of the opinion that Fed has lost it and his reign is over. I believe that he set such a high standard, a standard that we simply have never seen for such an extended period, that we are completely shocked that he's now gone the first four events of the year without even reaching a final. Finally, it appears that a number of players have broken through that barrier where they now have some belief that they can beat him. And that has cracked Fed's confidence slightly. And we don't know how much the illness is still affecting him, although I don't know how he could have played with true mononucleosis.

stormholloway
04-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Stop these god awful threads. Everyone who makes these should be drug out and shot.

RacquetGoesBoom
04-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Different tournament buddy.

Playing like he did in that video on a different surface would probably had made him lose even quicker than he did.

pcpshortbus
04-04-2008, 06:10 PM
i have heard someone on these boards (cant remember who) say that federer is doing this to prepare for the french open- and i think they are completely right. federer is willing to sacrafic a few matches early in the year to start mentally preparing for french open. i dont mean he is mentally preparing to lose. i think he isnt putting as much pace on his shot and bringing some more spin in order to get in the groove of grinding a bit and pushing people off the court- not blowing them off of it. thats just my two cents.

D. Dokas
04-04-2008, 06:25 PM
man it hurts watchin your idol lose...

pcpshortbus
04-04-2008, 06:26 PM
man it hurts watchin your idol lose...

haha try having safin as your idol....

iamke55
04-04-2008, 06:27 PM
If Federer is going for more consistency to grind people off the court, then why is he hitting more unforced errors per best of 3 match now than he did in the Wimbledon 2003 semifinal and final combined?

crawl4
04-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Stop these god awful threads. Everyone who makes these should be drug out and shot.

listen to this guy!!

chiru
04-04-2008, 06:44 PM
i have heard someone on these boards (cant remember who) say that federer is doing this to prepare for the french open- and i think they are completely right. federer is willing to sacrafic a few matches early in the year to start mentally preparing for french open. i dont mean he is mentally preparing to lose. i think he isnt putting as much pace on his shot and bringing some more spin in order to get in the groove of grinding a bit and pushing people off the court- not blowing them off of it. thats just my two cents.

i disagree due to 1 main argument: no amount of this form of preparation can possibly give him the edge in a clay court match that comes with his aura of invincibility.

I honestly believe that roger has wona very large number of matches on the credit of the fact everyone is so afraid of him. that's what happens when you're dominant. Sampras had that going for him to, but to a lesser degree, but certainly at the USO and Wimbledon. Federer has gotten the 2nd best clay court results, but i think thats sort of ridiculous. i think there have been better clay courters during that stretch that he's beaten simply becasue every seems to play crappier against federer than anyone else. thats intimidation factor. not to take anythign away from fed, it's totally deserved and absolutely a part of tennis matches, as it should be.

losing as many matches as he has will give a lot of those scrappers on clay some hope against roger. and unlike on the faster surfaces, the better players (with better shots, angles, etc) can't really just blow you off the court. a lot of it is about grinding away. the biggest edge he could possibly have going into the clay court season is that "you can't beat me, i'm roger federer" swagger on court.