PDA

View Full Version : VOOM TV and the Tennis Channel

NoBadMojo
01-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Anyone out there in TW land a subscriber to Voom TV? I see they have the Tennis Channel which I cant get on my Direct TV or the local Comcast Cable, and I am tired of hoping they will add it. sooooo..is anyone on the Voom bandwagon and is it as complete and reliable as the Direct TV which I have now? thanks

gully
01-05-2005, 03:22 PM
nobad,

I've been a VoOm subscriber since June. I'm pretty happy with it. The HD pictures are great, but you need a certain kind of movie taste to apreciate their movie channels (e.g. Woody Allen): lots of younger alpha types gripe about the lack of current fare there.

VoOm provides, but doesn't guarantee, local channels in HD with an off-air antenna.

I pay $50 a month for it on one tv. HD channels include VoOm originals, TNT-HD, Discovery-HD, ESPN-HD, and Universal-HD. (The last carried almost all of the USA coverage of the US Open in HD last summer, which was awesome.)

A couple of downsides: The cost escalates pretty rapidly if you want premium movie channels, and installers can be completely incompetent.

For instance, I think it adds an extra 10-15 dollars a month for each additional receiver.

My install went well, but numerous others have had all kinds of problems.

To read up, check out the "VoOm Forum" at http://www.satelliteguys.us -- there's a lot of great of help there, and kind sould there helped me make my decision.

Frankly, I don't know if I'd keep it if it weren't for the fact that they're the only way I can get Tennis Channel. But my wife and daughter both like watching, too, and I'm setting my schedule around the Hopman cup live broadcasts, which have been awfully entertaining.

NoBadMojo
01-06-2005, 08:40 AM
thanks for all the info gully. appreciate it. i should have an easy install since i am already wired for direct tv and i also have the 9 dollar basic cable for local stations. i think if Voom has the basic programming i am looking for, i will switch. the package price seems to be similar to directTV..i would think it would have to be anyway..thanks again.

bigserving
01-06-2005, 09:51 AM
MoJo, after you switch, be sure to write Direct TV a letter telling them why you left them.

NoBadMojo
01-06-2005, 10:24 AM
i emailed them before telling them i would be changing to Voom because they dont offer the tennis Channel and telling them i would stick around if they had finite plans to offer it soon....they never responded...

drakulie
01-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I switched from Direct TV to Voom. Best move I ever made. I get the Tennis Channel, and still get to watch Discovery, History, etc. Is was well worth it to me.

NoBadMojo
01-06-2005, 02:13 PM
thats exactly what i'm gonna do drakilie thanks. the basic voom package has all that i need. do you have drop outs in the rain like on direct tv or any other service outtages or problems to report? do your local stations come in fine w. that antenna they give you? good time for me to buy a HD Tv too i think since they broadcast alot in HD and the prices seems to reasonable now?

gully
01-06-2005, 02:21 PM
I got a 42" rear-projection hdtv from sears for under 900 last summer. Voom's HD picture is awesome. I am not sure it'd make sense to get it without a HDTV.

Local stations come in but it depends on the location of their antennae and the strength of their signals. For instance, I don't get a Fox or NBC local at this time: our Fox channel doesn't broadcast a digital signal yet, and NBC is 50 miles away. But the three that do (ABC, PBS, CBS) look awesome. Go to antennaweb.org to see what'll likely come in.

Voom had to upgrade my antenna once to get the ABC channel.

I think right now Voom is requiring a six-month commitment.

Regarding dropouts, there can be signal fade in a heavy storm, but that's only happened once to me in six months. and I haven't had any other outages. I do wish it were a little cheaper for multiple outlets than it is, though.

LafayetteHitter
01-06-2005, 02:46 PM
I am planning a switch to Voom here, after e-mailing and e-mailing and calling and calling DirecTv I have come to only one conclusion about their customer service dept: let me put it lightly,

THEY COULD GIVE A RATS A**!!!

I hope more people leave them.

I have always been happy with their service until this.

Scott

NoBadMojo
01-06-2005, 02:58 PM
gully i think it makes sense to get it even without an hdtv..it's really the same price as direct tv and dish network for the same ammount of programming and includes the tennis chanel..am i missing something here? they have installation for a buck, 5 bucks for each receiver per month and 50 bucks a month which includes the tennis channel..i just wish they had dvr now because i bet they will hit you up pretty good if you get it later. i'm sure they have some sort of money back guarantee so i am gonna give it a try..thanks for thelp, and please let me know if my logic is failed here

gully
01-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Nope sounds good, have fun!

They market themselves as high-end HD providers but don't seem to get the message across that you don't need a HD set for their service. One thing you won't get distracted by (for now, at least) is how good the HD channels look in comparison to Tennis Channel!

TTC has been showing an awful lot of the Hopman Cup, and it's been very entertaining. I'm actually liking the mixed doubles the most, partly because it's so rare to see the well-known male stars (Safin, Haas, Blake, Coria) play, and partly because the women have hung in there pretty well against these guys.

NoBadMojo
01-06-2005, 04:56 PM
thanks gully..it would be fun to watch some mixed at that level....they show so little of that even at the us open. i just ordered the Voom in spite of rumours of their posible bankruptcy...worst that can happen is i will be out $1.07. then i will see about buying the HD Tv....want to find out if my local affiliates broadcast any programming in HD and if the antenna they provide would pick it up as HD

gully
01-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Nobad, the especially cool thing about the mixed is seeing some of the top males play it. Normally, if you get to see a few minutes, it's martina and whoever she partners. Probably more entertaining right now for its novelty, since TTC doesn't really carry much mixed -- where do they play it except for the slams? -- but they do carry a LOT of doubles, especially from the tournaments where other networks carry the singles (e.g. LA, Canada, etc.).

You should be able to enter your address into antennaweb.org or chechhd.com to tell you what stations broadcast in your area. Antennaweb should show you a map of how close your broadcasters are. If you're in a metro area, you're in business. When I got Voom, I didn't have a HDTV -- I bought one soon after -- so it'll work fine for you.

Yes, lots of rumors flying with Voom. I suspect they'll eventually be bought, and who knows what'll happen then.

NoBadMojo
01-07-2005, 09:17 AM
gully i think what is at issue for me is if my local affiliates broadcast the signal they receive from the network that are in HD as HD....thankyou for antenna web site, it indicates i should have a good signal. i emailed the 3 networks but didnt hear back....they didnt include such info on their websites.....thanks again for your help. i'm thinking i will enjoy the Voom. ed