PDA

View Full Version : Judging from the comments of some fans

PascalMariaFan
04-04-2008, 03:52 AM
You get the idea that Roddick has improved significantly as a player.

I didn't see Roddick win Dubai, but from the comments you read, you'd definitely get the impression that the guy went up a level or two in his play.

And then I watch him at IW and Miami and not surprisingly he's still the same old clown that can't hit a drive backhand, has no approach shots, no volleys, can't hit a ball off the top of the bounce, and struggles to do anything on the run.

None of my critical comments come out of dislike for a player, and I wanted Roddick to win this match, but to say that anything but Roddick's serve was keeping him in this match is giving his game undeserved respect.

And thus my impression is that people are watching highlights and not entire matches.

jamesblakefan#1
04-04-2008, 03:56 AM
I disagree to an extent, I just think that he's just playing with more consistency from the backcourt. He's driving the ball deeper more consistantly. The serve is still his main weapon, but he's better off the ground as of late.

BreakPoint
04-04-2008, 04:14 AM
Yes, but Roddick still won because he was serving insanely well. That's the bottom line.

DJG
04-04-2008, 04:18 AM
I think he was more impressive at Dubai. I was a bit confused in the match last night since there were a large number of "makeable" balls that he didn't run for. Andy will never be an Agassi from the back-court, but I do believe he has improved this year. It may be something to do with just having more confidence, i.e. a bit stronger on the mental side than pure technique. Maybe that is all that is needed for better results?

I like Andy - he doesn't have a pretty game, is not effective on all shots, but he maximizes what is available to him. Sometimes it is easier making a strength stronger than working on a weakness. (However, in my view, his volleys could be greatly improved without too much problems.)

Having said all that, he did look a bit better last night than earlier in the tournament. Still not pretty, but better.

daddy
04-04-2008, 04:43 AM
Listen, I was there for the whole Dubai tournament and he played on a different level than this. It is stil the fastest surface out of the three you mentioned and his Fh and Serve were absolutely on. He brushed aside both Nadal and Djokovic with ease, both of whom are great from baseline, he hung in there in rallies and took advantage of his weapons.

He is not a different person. It is the same Roddick who does not volley perfectly, misses a whole lot of sitters from Fh side and clean Bh's, has not so good shot selection to say the least. It is the same Roddick who usually wins if he keeps his service above 70% or there about and plays decently. Plus - in IW you saw only one match, he lost to Haas, here he did not lose yet, dispatching Federer on his way to semis. With 2 titles prior to this tournament, those are good results ( he won only 1 title in 2007 remember ?? ) ..

PascalMariaFan
04-04-2008, 04:43 AM
I like Andy - he doesn't have a pretty game, is not effective on all shots, but he maximizes what is available to him. Sometimes it is easier making a strength stronger than working on a weakness. (However, in my view, his volleys could be greatly improved without too much problems.)His backhand I feel has become one of the safest shots in tennis. He just doesn't miss when he's not trying to do a lot with the ball.
He's perfected this ugly technique of going across instead of up the ball, and it's evident the versatility that he lacks off that wing when he tries to put a ball away or scoop a low ball.

This backhand consistency appeared a long time ago, and is irrelevant to the latest claims of his improvement.

Let's get real. When Roddick serves high percentage, he wins. Low/average percentage, he loses. Case in point, 70% against Federer today, 50-something against Haas last week.
Would he have stayed competitive in this match with a 20% decrease in first serves? No.

As the match got tighter, Andy played some high balls to Fed's backhand, Fed was tight, and he narrowly missed balls that he would opening his shoulders on earlier in the match.

To say that this "new tactic" will lead Andy into further victories against Fed is false. He will have to be very selective of this tactic as he just leaves far too much open court to his those off-forehands. If Federer is confident, and we know how clumsy Roddick's movement to the forehand is, the control of the point is Federer's every time Roddick attempts a loopy cross court backhand.

TennezSport
04-04-2008, 05:34 AM
I agree with all of the comments here but the standout thing in this match for me was Roddicks serve and confidence. Fed pretty much controlled the entire match, even though looking a little slow at times. The difference that I saw in the outcome was that Fed blinked at key times and Roddick did not panic or get overly excited, as he usually does.

In the 1st set TB Fed shanked several easy balls due to what looked like sloppy footwork. Roddick held his nerve and that gave him the first set. In the 2nd set it was the old Fed Roddick show where Roddick got sloppy and Fed exposed Roddicks slow movement and poor court positioning. The 3rd set was pretty much on par with the second until Fed again made some uncharacteristic shanks that gave Roddick the break. All Roddick had to do was serve it out and he almost blew that, but another shank you very much from Fed helped; GSM Roddick and deservedly so.

Fed is still rusty and a 1/2 step slow at times but gaining his strength. I would love to see Fed work with Gil Reyes on fitness and Darren Cahill or Jose Higueras as coach though.

TennezSport :cool:

FH2FH
04-04-2008, 05:51 AM
So even "clowns" can beat Federer now? It must be very bad. Roddick doesn't have the prettiest game to watch but he gets the job done and makes a better living than you. So what if his game is not the most complete? He's beat the top players in the world with it.

You'd be foolish to think Edberg could rally with Nadal from the baseline or MacEnroe could handle passing shots from Davydenko? No, they couldn't. Andy has weaknesses, just like every other player. Now you just seem to realize how magical Federer has played in the last few years. Your standards are so high you can't even appreciate the top 2 and 3 players. Please, get a life...

slice bh compliment
04-04-2008, 05:56 AM
Roddick is playing well. With a confidence he's lacked in the past, on big points. I really do not think it is technical with him.

Let's be honest, he is a good player, blessed with a weapon, who could have beaten Roger more than just one time in the past (Canadian Open 2003, 7-6 in the 3rd, iirc).
Pretty sure Roger is cool with losing here and there if it means he wins the finals they have played.

Roddick and Davydenko, BErdych and Rafa. Hmmm, I'm for another Rafa-Roddick showdown. But I do like Berdych on a good day.

EDIT: Just noticed the OP is a Pascal Maria fan. Never seen that before, a username homage to a chair umpire. Unless morrissey is a reference to Mike and not the former Smiths crooner.
So we got any Bruno, Norm Chryst, Gerry Armstrong, Richard Kaufman fans up in here?
I think I'll leave and come back as FrankHammondGuy, since he's the only famous guy who ever chaired a match I played.

pr0n8r
04-04-2008, 05:57 AM
I basically agree with the OP. Roddick is still playing the same game, and he happened to beat Federer with it.

In the first set, Roddick did what he is capable of, which is holding serve, and pulling out the tie break. Even versus Federer, Roddick is always capable of doing this because of his serve.

In the second set, I got the sense that Federer was beginning to dominate the points, and most of the hard-fought points were being played on Roddick's serve. It seemed inevitable that Federer would break.

For most of the third set, I still had the sense that the match was being fought on Andy's serve, which isn't good for Andy. And then, as the set came to a close, Federer inexplicably donated a service game, and the match.

Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for Roddick. I would like to be able to say that he won this match because he made some adjustments to his game, but that just isn't true. The key to the match was unbelievable serving, and a bad game by Federer late in the third.

jgn1013
04-04-2008, 06:18 AM
He did play out of his mind in dubai, but the courts where much faster. Also the biggest reason Andy loses against Fed (IMHO) is that slice back hand to Roddick's backhand side. He can't really hit an offensive shot on that ball, ala Djoker & Nadal.

When the ball is sliced short and low, Rod just flips his backhand short, giving Roger the opportunity to put it away. I also saw Roddick hit some bad short forehand last night as well. I'm glad he won, I like Roddick , hope he wins another major soon!!!

Eviscerator
04-04-2008, 06:27 AM
You get the idea that Roddick has improved significantly as a player.

I didn't see Roddick win Dubai, but from the comments you read, you'd definitely get the impression that the guy went up a level or two in his play.

And then I watch him at IW and Miami and not surprisingly he's still the same old clown that can't hit a drive backhand, has no approach shots, no volleys, can't hit a ball off the top of the bounce, and struggles to do anything on the run.

None of my critical comments come out of dislike for a player, and I wanted Roddick to win this match, but to say that anything but Roddick's serve was keeping him in this match is giving his game undeserved respect.

And thus my impression is that people are watching highlights and not entire matches.

If one didn't know better, to listen to people like you, Roddick is a Div II or III college player with a awesome serve. In reality he is a top professional that happens to have a great serve.
Is his game as fluid as Federer? Of course not, he is a different type of player. Does he have the speed or athleticism of some other players? No, but they also do not possess some of Roddick's attributes.

So try giving him credit where it is due and stop with the comments that only reflect poorly on your tennis knowledge.

`

quest01
04-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Roddick's serve was just untouchable. His first serve percentage was at 70% and he had an astounding 18 aces against Roger. Also Roddick's fastest serve was 146 MPH and they clocked one of his forehand winners at 101MPH. Roddick outlasted Federer in a lot of baseline rallies because Federer was mishitting and shanking balls left and right.

fantom
04-04-2008, 06:30 AM
You've got to give him credit. He's beaten Federer, Nadal, and Djokovich recently. Not a feat that many can claim to have accomplished. When Nalbandian did it at the end of '07, people immediately thought he was propelled to an elite player again. Roddick has been more consistent than Nalbandian over the years, but most people wouldn't dare say the same about him being in the same class as the big 3.

zagor
04-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Yeah,people here should really give credit to Roddick.It's not all about how Federer is playing,there is another player across the net and Andy served amazingly and was mentally there the whole match.Even if I never liked the guy I respect him for his passion and never die attitude,someone else would have given up any hope of winning against Federer with a record like that but not Roddick,all the credit to him.And no matter what people say he is a very good player and a former slam winner.Beating all top 3 players in this year is no coincidence,Roddick is playing some great tennis at the moment.

JLyon
04-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Roddick played pretty well and his serve was on the whole match except for 1 big sputter in the second set, but he also served out of holes. He still gets drawn into the net on horrible approaches, but was very impressed overall and a good win over Federer.

alienhamster
04-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Yes, but Roddick still won because he was serving insanely well. That's the bottom line. He was serving this well--often over 70% on first serves--during the last couple of years during his "dip" in the rankings.

In terms of groundies, Roddick has not been playing as well as he did at San Jose and Dubai these past couple of weeks. But, overall, he's had four significant improvements in his game compared to the last couple of years:

(1) Depth of groundstrokes
(2) Hitting a flatter forehand on offensive shots
(3) Hitting a more consistent backhand to all parts of the court
(4) Winning tiebreaks

Number (4) should not be overlooked. His tiebreak record was terrible last year and in parts of 2006. And in particular, every time he plays Federer, he almost always has at least one tiebreak that he loses. In his only two wins against Fed, Roddick won the tiebreaks.

I agree with Federer that tiebreaks are more mental than anything else. It's all about who manages the big pressure points the best. So, I think it's fair to say that Andy's starting to get parts of his mental game and confidence back.

Djokovicfan4life
04-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Roddick's overall game has improved, but BreakPoint is right, Andy won the match with his serve. He got out of many 0-30 service games with some great serves when he needed them.

superman1
04-04-2008, 08:21 AM
There's no question that he was better in '03/'04. But his game has changed around, and even though it's different now, and even though he isn't quite as powerful from the baseline, he is more consistent from the baseline than ever, and is able to stay in points and give himself chances. He still has the serve, and he's much better at net now, so it all sort of balances itself out and keeps him up at the top of the rankings.

NamRanger
04-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Roddick's serving wasn't anything exceptional, are you kidding me? You want to see real serving? Watch Roddick's 1st set against Nadal in Dubai, where he aced him TWELVE times.

His ground game was extremely subpar to what he is capable of. Against Nadal and Djokovic, anything short was destroyed. Roddick's forehand was monstrous. Against Federer he just looped balls back and blocked on his backhand deep. Federer implodes finally and Roddick finishes. It was ugly and nothing spectacular.

Roddick was just there mentally, and wouldn't give up. Other then that, his whole entire game plan was abysmal outside of his serve (less then 10 winners combined from the ground, horrible net percentage)

BreakPoint
04-04-2008, 12:13 PM
I haven't seen Roddick hit so many serves well over 140mph in a single match in a long, long time, as he did against Federer last night.

I was there at every one of Roddick's matches at the SAP Open this year and NOT ONCE did he serve over 140mph in the entire tournament. He was barely gettting it over 130mph when he went for the big bomb.