PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Federer's 2008: Let's Get Real

Sports_fan
04-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Its about time A-Rod wins a match vs Fed its been a long time since he beat Fed.

superman1
04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Law of averages caught up with him. It's incredible that he has so many consecutive wins over such a big server - and it's not like all of those wins were easy. Some matches were extremely tight, one match he had to save match points. The freakish Federer era of dominance is over, and now Federer is just your ordinary, average all-time great player. Just another Pete Sampras.

samprasbackhand
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Come on, show some damn respect for Andy Roddick. The man works his *** off and has to deal with the fact that everyone expects him to get his *** kicked whenever he plays Federer. He believes in himself rather than folding against Federer like most players do. Show some respect for the guy.

Rhino
04-03-2008, 05:23 PM
anyone who loses a match should retire. In fact after Miami, the champion should be the only active player left.

TonyB
04-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Federer should re-hire Roche.

Roche turned Fed into a machine.

And now he's back to being just a man.

Fries-N-Gravy
04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
You should retire from posting.

i was going to say that too when i saw the thread.

no respect for roddick at all on these boards. a lot of the time they've played yes federer owned him completely but there were many times where the scores were pretty close. but no one ever remembers the scores, and fed usually came out on top but it wasn't that unanimous. for example at the US open the score was very close, but fed won both tiebreaks. roddick would've won with just a tiny bit more luck. it's interesting that the only times roddick has beaten fed, he won a tiebreak.

and apparently every time fed loses, all of his accomplishments and his ranking don't exist anymore...

fastdunn
04-03-2008, 05:26 PM
at this point, i am not even sure if federer can defend half of his points on clay this year.

this does not bode well for upcoming clay season. there will be mny players now will grind him on clay.

NmKnight
04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
roddick is number 5 in the world
its ridiculous that everyone says he sucks.

NamRanger
04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
i was going to say that too when i saw the thread.

no respect for roddick at all on these boards. a lot of the time they've played yes federer owned him completely but there were many times where the scores were pretty close. but no one ever remembers the scores, and fed usually came out on top but it wasn't that unanimous. for example at the US open the score was very close until the end, roddick would've won with just a tiny bit more luck. it's interesting that the only times roddick has beaten fed, he won a tiebreak.

and apparently every time fed loses, all of his accomplishments and his ranking don't exist anymore...

Seriously, Roddick didn't do anything spectacular apart from his serve. His groundstrokes had depth, and that was about it. Not amazing placement, not great pace on anything. He just made Federer hit alot of balls, and Federer eventually shanked the match away. If USO Roddick showed up at this match, there's no doubt in my mind that Federer would have gotten whomped, hard.

superman1
04-03-2008, 05:31 PM
at this point, i am not even sure if federer can defend half of his points on clay this year.

this does not bode well for upcoming clay season. there will be mny players now will grind him on clay.

I'm thinking the same. His baseline play is looking very weak, although I didn't watch this match. The French Open might be out of his grasp, now.

NikeWilson
04-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Fed's run of dominance is definitely over. and it has been for some time now, but this just validates it even more.

SikSerb
04-03-2008, 06:09 PM
LOL what a crackup of a thread. So im guessin with this logic, anyone who loses to Roddick should retire. lol though as i much as i think losing to roddick is pretty disigraceful, it dont mean a player should retire, kinda extreme buddy.

NamRanger
04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
LOL what a crackup of a thread. So im guessin with this logic, anyone who loses to Roddick should retire. lol though as i much as i think losing to roddick is pretty disigraceful, it dont mean a player should retire, kinda extreme buddy.

No, at least in Dubai Roddick played spectacular against Nadal and Djokovic. He hit clean winners, and was agressive with his forehand and backhand. He even hit great passing shots. Against Federer, he had less then 10 winners COMBINED from the forehand and backhand. He did nothing pretty, just put the ball into play and Federer imploded. Federer if he was anywhere near top form would have just crushed Roddick today.

SikSerb
04-03-2008, 06:14 PM
No, at least in Dubai Roddick played spectacular against Nadal and Djokovic. He hit clean winners, and was agressive with his forehand and backhand. He even hit great passing shots. Against Federer, he had less then 10 winners COMBINED from the forehand and backhand. He did nothing pretty, just put the ball into play and Federer imploded. Federer if he was anywhere near top form would have just crushed Roddick today.

Yeah. For someone of Federer's calibre it is a disgraceful defeat..

CAM178
04-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Name something Roddick did spectacular outside of his serving. Nothing. Just an average match for Roddick.

Edit : Even then, that was mainly due to Federer just returning poorly. At the USO, Roddick served much bigger and better, yet he didn't ace him as much.
Then you need to pay much closer attention to the match. Roddick did several things differently in this match:
1. serve was far more effective, due to:
a. high percentages
b. variety
c. no fear
2. played his game, not Fed's. Roddick was often dictating play, especially from the baseline.
3. hit out on his BH wing, something he is usually tentative to do. In particular, Roddick:
a. pulled Fed out wide on Fed's BH, knowing Fed would run around BH to hit FH, and then Roddick would go up the line
b. hit the ball up the line in mid-rally, as Fed was already leaning to BH side so as to run around BH
4. came to the net more frequently, so as to impose his will on Fed
5. played more angles, but instead of playing the angle game against the angle master, Roddick used the angles to set up the next 1-3 shots.

Overall, Roddick had the best game plan that I've seen him execute, and the big thing: he did not sway from his game plan. In the past, Roddick has come out with guns blazing, and after Fed neutralizes Roddick, it takes the wind out of Roddick's sails. Tonight Roddick stuck to his guns. Kudos to him.

That being said, Fed played a poor match. Not poor for any other ATP player, but poor for Fed. And one shot in particular let me know Fed's current mental state: he is scared. There was a shot that Fed hit deep and hard to Andy's BH side, when Andy had been at the FH wing. The old Fed would have already been at the net, but the current Fed hesitated, and took a stutter step. That's all I needed to see. He is not playing with the same intensity or fearlessness that he's had in the past. Call it complacency, boredom. . . whatever. Rog is not the man he used to be.

It's a quick fix, and one Fed knows he needs to address: he needs a coach, and he needs an outside coach. Not someone from his camp, as that isn't helping. It needs to be someone subtle, and someone who has been there. If I were Roger, I would make some calls to Pete and Andre, to start with. Andre has one of the most analytical minds in the game, and he can break down an opponent and a match like you wouldn't believe.

I'm getting way ahead of myself. I meant to post about Roddick, and I did that.

BigGriff
04-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Seriously, Roddick didn't do anything spectacular apart from his serve. His groundstrokes had depth, and that was about it. Not amazing placement, not great pace on anything. He just made Federer hit alot of balls, and Federer eventually shanked the match away. If USO Roddick showed up at this match, there's no doubt in my mind that Federer would have gotten whomped, hard.

I am defintely not a Roddick hater or fanatic but NamRanger claimed Roddick didn't do anything special but he played high percentage tennis and still managed to dictate from the baseline.

montx
04-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I think a lot of people here are really young kids or something. It is obvious Fed is trying and battling a few battles at once, including a tennis court battle, he is battling nerves and what not.

He still made it to the quarterfinals which means there is still game in him to play.

Everyone has ups and downs and though the medias pressure on his down and the fans pressure on his down is really tough on him, he is no doubt still a legend.

He has no doubt gone through a rough patch this year, but sometimes champions bounce back. It does happen.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Fed is on the decline and Nadal is the fittest athlete in tennis. Ferrer is right up there though he has fallen back lately. Tennis came easy to Fed for many years as he had such great anticipation but he is losing some of that now. Roddick was the ultimate test of where that is.

You of all the Nadal heads have a long day in store for you tomorrow. The match is set for the afternoon, so you better hope it's humid and windy.

Tomas Berdych isn't the best in the wind and you need to hope for that element to work in Rafael's favor.:shock:

Morrissey
04-03-2008, 08:17 PM
You of all the Nadal heads have a long day in store for you tomorrow. The match is set for the afternoon, so you better hope it's humid and windy.

Tomas Berdych isn't the best in the wind and you need to hope for that element to work in Rafael's favor.:shock:

We'll see. The times they are a changing. Nadal beating Blake and now Roddick beating Fed.

lethalfang
04-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Whatever you were doing since you went without a coach, other players have figured out, and it's no longer working.

vince916
04-03-2008, 08:21 PM
He'll hire sampras.

quicken
04-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Definately agree.
He needs another pair of eyes and a brain to sort his game out. I'm sure there are several excellent coaches who are willing to coach him.

quicken
04-03-2008, 08:22 PM
He'll hire sampras.

I don't think thats a bad choice.

quest01
04-03-2008, 08:25 PM
He'll hire sampras.

I think Federer should hire Sampras and switch to a larger head size because he was shanking too many balls against Roddick.

Morrissey
04-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Brad Gilbert is still available, so is Jimmy Connors. :-)

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-03-2008, 08:28 PM
We'll see. The times they are a changing. Nadal beating Blake and now Roddick beating Fed.

Roger Federer lost today, at the same time James Blake is an upcoming player at 28 years old. :shock:

Times are definitely changing yes, but Tomas has yet to reach the potential he is capable, and at the same token how much longer can he implode against a player he has the tools to defeat.

Until you guys get to the clay courts where the bragging rights are clear, in the back of some of the Nadal fans, if not all there is always that worry.

Morrissey you're not the Nadal fan that I want to show his/her ugly face, the one that I really want has taken a little leave of absence, but when he/she resurfaces you will know.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Brad Gilbert is still available, so is Jimmy Connors. :-)

Roger doesn't need the one dimensional coaches. :?

Jose Higueras or Killa Cahill aren't bad choices though.

Darth Nihilus
04-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I think if this keeps happening we will mark this match as the possible change in his "era". Federer should not lose to Roddick, no matter what. This is not supposed to happen. The last time Roddick won was before Federer dominated. In that gap Federer dominated and didn't lose to Roddick. Maybe, I guess this is where it changes. Domination is gone. I wonder what else is gone? But his confidence couldn't get much lower. Roger always loved playing Andy.

vince916
04-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Federer only performs best when he has national tv coverage. Why try if no ones going to see you win?

Just wait for French Open. He was sick with mono for AO so it doesnt count.

bluetrain4
04-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Sampras really wouldn't be a great choice. Why does everyone assume that the very top players would make great coaches? No doubt, sometimes that's the case, but I don't think it applies to everyone.

I guess Sampras could inspire Fed and pump him up. But, what would Pete tell him? "My advice to you Roger is to dominate on you serve and take chances on your return games. Things should fall into place."

Sampras didn't exactly have the most nuanced game. It was straight ahead, agressive tennis. And, I guess he could instill that in Roger.

I can also see top players as coaches getting impatient. Especially somone who is arguably the GOAT.

Alafter
04-03-2008, 08:39 PM
I noticed his backhand doesnt whip like in 06 and earlier in 07.

Nowadays when he does a backhand, the motion looks slower, and it looks like an outward push. I mean, it is a full backhand and all, but looks almost like just enough to block the ball back rather than attacking it. Compared to previous years, the ball doesnt seem to bite.

I also dont see his feet carrying him into positions quickly anymore. He looks as if he lost the ability to anticipate shots; whether that's true or not, he apparently isnt getting to the ball in time to dominate the shot.

Anyone else notice this?

Rickson
04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Anyone suggest Agassi yet? I could imagine the coaching. "Stay at the baseline and go to the net only after the match is over to shake hands".

BigGriff
04-03-2008, 08:45 PM
He should get Agassi.

superman1
04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I'd like to see a YouTube comparison, because it definitely does feel like he's playing differently than when he was Federer the Predator.

Fedace
04-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Darren Cahill would be perfect for him. or Paul Annacone would be another great choice. Paul is awsome at booking hotels and making plane reservations.

vndesu
04-03-2008, 08:59 PM
i was comparing between fed old matches
03 wimbledon vs roddick
06 basel vs srichipan (spell check)
07 uso roddick

during 03-04 he did attack more with his backhand
more followthru and very fierce.
at 06 he was still attacking but not as much as 03-04 with his n90
his uso against roddick he mainly didnt do a full swing as much but he did on cross court and approach shots.

what i see is that he really toned down his backhand since 03.
seeing it at wimbledon or at basel really amased me on how he would take control with his backhand and attacked.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-03-2008, 09:01 PM
How many of you guys actually play tennis, instead of just watching?:confused:

Mind you I am asking question, not trying to be smart. If for that one particular poster thinks I am trying to be smart.

SikSerb
04-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Anyone suggest Agassi yet? I could imagine the coaching. "Stay at the baseline and go to the net only after the match is over to shake hands".

That ****ing cracked me up man lol

vndesu
04-03-2008, 09:07 PM

Mind you I am asking question, not trying to be smart. If for that one particular poster thinks I am trying to be smart.

i play. its just i cover over feds game to learn more.
its not like imma exactly copy him or anything

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Personally I think he should change racquet bases on the way he is playing now. He seems indecisive now with his forehand. I remember he whipped his forehand with the Ncode 90, now he brushes the ball with more topspin. This kind of reminds me of how Boris Becker lost his edge when he put more topspin on his grounstrokes and 2nd serve to try to improve his consistency.

I know from the fact that K90 tends to sail on my forehand, and that is why I go back to the N90. I don't suggest he reuses the N90, but Wilson should make a new racquet for him; something with cross section of 17mm like the PS85 and N90, not 18mm like the K90.

BTW, he should use the backhand slice more. Even though his topspin BH is much improved, but it sits up and presents no threat to the 2HB players on the backhand to backhand exchanges.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-03-2008, 09:32 PM
i play. its just i cover over feds game to learn more.
its not like imma exactly copy him or anything

This is off topic, but what does the last last 4 letters in your name stands for? :confused:

paperduetoday
04-03-2008, 09:42 PM
that's funny.. i'm a chang and nadal fan.

I don't think he should change his racquet to get better. He should change his foot work and work on his tennis more. I thiink maybe its from him slackin or playing too much golf.

Fedace
04-03-2008, 09:45 PM
I think roger should switch to kfactor 95 just for the Clay season.

vndesu
04-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Personally I think he should change racquet bases on the way he is playing now. He seems indecisive now with his forehand. I remember he whipped his forehand with the Ncode 90, now he brushes the ball with more topspin. This kind of reminds me of how Boris Becker lost his edge when he put more topspin on his grounstrokes and 2nd serve to try to improve his consistency.

I know from the fact that K90 tends to sail on my forehand, and that is why I go back to the N90. I don't suggest he reuses the N90, but Wilson should make a new racquet for him; something with cross section of 17mm like the PS85 and N90, not 18mm like the K90.

BTW, he should use the backhand slice more. Even though his topspin BH is much improved, but it sits up and presents no threat to the 2HB players on the backhand to backhand exchanges.

well how would you kno if its really a k90?
what if its a pj?
we all kno that pj are just used for market scandals....

lethalfang
04-03-2008, 09:56 PM
He'll hire sampras.

Conflict of interest. :twisted:

Alafter
04-03-2008, 09:56 PM

I play, of course. Hehe I wouldnt follow tennis news and have tennis idols if I didnt play ;)

Alafter
04-03-2008, 09:59 PM

You should never stop trying to be smart, because if you stop trying to be smart, you will not be smart, and we all want to interact with smart people. PS who is that poster? sorry I dont follow the pro discussion board very much, but i do know the regulars. Gimme a hint?

Vision84
04-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I play D3 tennis though i have been on and off all season with a shoulder injury.

ledor
We're never gonna get off his back til he gets knocked down from Rank 1.

Bashing in these little tournaments and Masters Series Events is really nothing til the Grand Slams/Olympics come up, and then again he lost in the Semis to Djoker.

verdasco67
i agree. please go play on the ATP tour and tell me how hard it is to stay as dominate as federer. give him a break.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-03-2008, 10:09 PM
You should never stop trying to be smart, because if you stop trying to be smart, you will not be smart, and we all want to interact with smart people. PS who is that poster? sorry I dont follow the pro discussion board very much, but i do know the regulars. Gimme a hint?

I honestly never try to be smart, but it's just my personality if you ever meet me in person.

Send me a personal message . :D

Vision84
04-03-2008, 10:11 PM
That is why he needs to switch to a 2-handed backhand.

iriraz
04-03-2008, 10:19 PM
I don`t think for Federer the best thing is to have a coach like Roche,who comes one tourney and is absent the next one.
If he needs one he should get one full time.
Obvious Sampras or Agassi aren`t in that category

Hot Sauce
04-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Tons of Federer bashers! Even more than the Nadal bashers. There are so many "Federer should retire" threads that I'm finding it hard to difficult to see if the poster is serious or not.

Hot Sauce
04-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm willing to help him.

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-03-2008, 10:24 PM
You will really miss him when he is gone.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Killer Cahill.

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I'll coach him for free; or his free hitting partner/ballboy for life.

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-03-2008, 10:35 PM
I remember he whipped his forehand with the Ncode 90, now he brushes the ball with more topspin. This kind of reminds me of how Boris Becker lost his edge when he put more topspin on his grounstrokes and 2nd serve to try to improve his consistency.

He should use the backhand slice more. Even though his topspin BH is much improved, but it sits up and presents no threat to the 2HB players on the backhand to backhand exchanges.

stormholloway
04-03-2008, 10:52 PM
He never played with an nCode 90. It's the same backhand people. Federer's problem is mental. He's losing to very good players. There is no technical weakness here.

NamRanger
04-03-2008, 11:01 PM
He never played with an nCode 90. It's the same backhand people. Federer's problem is mental. He's losing to very good players. There is no technical weakness here.

Wrong, his backhand has too much spin, and not enough pace. Watch his matches in 04-06 and you'll see he hit that backhand with ridiculous amount of pace.

stormholloway
04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, he did. That didn't change. His backhand changed the most from 04-05 when he began whipping it for more topspin. This simply added more variety to the shot. He can still flatten it out.

Who are you to declare it has too much spin? He uses spin when he wants to. Don't you think he has a better idea of when or when not to add spin to his backhand?

Watch his matches against Lopez and Roddick from the USO last year. There are plenty of examples there.

ninman
04-03-2008, 11:11 PM
For me this is similar to what happened to Steffi Graf, she had 3 or 4 years where she won basically everything, then she had a couple of bad years where she didn't win much at all, then she had a few more years winning everything. Federer has won 42 titles in 4 years, this was bound to happen eventually.

Besides the mono thing really didn't help, I felt last week if he had played Haas he would have lost.

NamRanger
04-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Yeah, he did. That didn't change. His backhand changed the most from 04-05 when he began whipping it for more topspin. This simply added more variety to the shot. He can still flatten it out.

Who are you to declare it has too much spin? He uses spin when he wants to. Don't you think he has a better idea of when or when not to add spin to his backhand?

Watch his matches against Lopez and Roddick from the USO last year. There are plenty of examples there.

He rarely hits flat backhands anymore. In the USO final against Hewitt in 04, Wimbledon against Roddick 04, AO Final against Safin in 04, Federer dominated from the baseline with his backhand, allowing him to hit an easy forehand winner. The corner stone of his game was to use the backhand to setup winners for his forehand. Now, he no longer can do it. He used the slice more, setting up points better, and rarely used heavy topspin backhands.

Now he's suffering because he tried to improve his clay game too much. His backhand IS technically flawed, he tries to spin it too much, thus why he errors so often. He shanked much less when he sliced more and hit flatter backhands. The statistics prove it too.

jman
04-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I actually think Federer played pretty well against Roddick. Very close, a couple of loose points, could have gone either way. Actually, I think Miami has been a really good tournament for Roger so far. He's been mixing it up, by coming to net and serve and volleying more than ever!
Alot of people see his performance as a decline, but I see it as progress. Progress to recovering from his mono, and a step closer to winning the French Open. Hopefully the clay season can tell us how roger's form is.

NamRanger
04-03-2008, 11:25 PM
I actually think Federer played pretty well against Roddick. Actually, I think Miami has been a really good tournament for Roger so far. He's been mixing it up, by coming to net and serve and volleying more than ever!
Alot of people see his performance as a decline, but I see it as progress. Progress to recovering from his mono, and a step closer to winning the French Open. Hopefully the clay season can tell us where how roger's form is.

Net game doesn't win you the French Open my friend. Ground game and movement does, neither which Federer seems to be capable of doing well at the moment.

crawl4
04-03-2008, 11:25 PM
agreed

i think there should be some ban on them
theyre getting way frequent..why dont people bash djokovic for getting knocked out before federer?

Fedexeon
04-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Good luck to Federer. =) Form is temporary, class is forever.

nn
04-03-2008, 11:37 PM
guys it is okay to bash him reasonably but not to say anything is not good either because he is losing edge and what not according to stats but still semis in all major event is not bad..

still go andy

officerdibble
04-03-2008, 11:40 PM

Your two posts are slightly contradictory. If Federer's problems are mental (as suggested in your previous post) then that presumably affects his judgment on shot selection and execution. So the previous poster could be noticing something that Federer himself is unable to. Generally speaking in matters of personality (one could argue this is a matter of Fed's tennis personality if it is a mental issue) studies show other people ARE better at accurately seeing what's going on than the person concerned.

leonardtay
04-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Net game doesn't win you the French Open my friend. Ground game and movement does, neither which Federer seems to be capable of doing well at the moment.

That is where I disagree with you. Serve and volley can help you on clay to take time away from your opponent. Of course, you can only come in behind really good approach shots.

jman
04-03-2008, 11:46 PM
That is where I disagree with you. Serve and volley can help you on clay to take time away from your opponent. Of course, you can only come in behind really good approach shots.

Agreed 100%

Having a 'smart' gameplan which includes coming into the net, can win the French. Aswell as shortening the points, net play can save alot of wasted energy grinding on the baseline.

Rickson
04-03-2008, 11:46 PM
For me this is similar to what happened to Steffi Graf, she had 3 or 4 years where she won basically everything, then she had a couple of bad years where she didn't win much at all, then she had a few more years winning everything. Federer has won 42 titles in 4 years, this was bound to happen eventually.

Besides the mono thing really didn't help, I felt last week if he had played Haas he would have lost.

Stick with your man, it's what a true fan does. Federer is tanking imo so he can win slams.

jlan
04-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Roger needs to stop hanging out with Pete. Ever since they got together Fed's been losing a bit more than usual.

- Rog and Pete played in Pete's backyard before Indian Wells: Rog loses back to back matches against Canas.

- Rog and Pete play 3 exhibitions in Asia: Rog feels ill before the Aussie Open and loses in the semis.

- Rog and Pete play another exhibition in New York before Indian Wells and Miami: Rog is sent home packing before the finals of both events.

;)

Racket2008
04-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I think he is still ill and have this spezial kind of fever. Thats why.

caulcano
04-04-2008, 12:35 AM
I agree with the OP. To me Federer is contempt to just pushing/slicing the ball back when using his BH. This is most noticeable on the opponents serve.

DJG
04-04-2008, 04:10 AM
I don't think changing racquets will help - it will help in the #2 and #3 catching him, yes. There is a lot to be said for being comfortable with a frame, it is not easy making a switch.

In addition, remember that he is not using stock frames, I doubt that he is really that far off from playing with the same stick he bursted onto the scene with.

Puma
04-04-2008, 04:14 AM
I too have noticed some change in his shots. I think for the most part his movement is a tad bit off. Thus, he has to make an adjustment at the last second. Therefore, we see some framed shots and some less attacking shots off of both sides. He has always been one to frame shots even when he plays really well.

Last night and even some previous matches he seems to be in a position where he has to block it back off the rise very often. (backhand) He used to be a foot or so farther back so he could stroke it back cross court. When he blocks it back up the middle or is a tad late and leaves a sitter near his opponents forehand side, this is what I am talking about. He and all the guys at that level know not to leave a sitter for someones forehand.

What i am saying is, I think his court positioning is off by a very small margin. When you are taking bombs off the rise, even a small margin makes a huge difference. He at times plays high risk tennis and we all know you have to be really sharp to execute this.

My .02

BreakPoint
04-04-2008, 04:20 AM

Agreed 100%

Having a 'smart' gameplan which includes coming into the net, can win the French. Aswell as shortening the points, net play can save alot of wasted energy grinding on the baseline.
True. Bjorn Borg, the best clay court player ever, lost only twice in his life at the French - both times to the same guy - Adriano Panatta, a serve and volleyer.

daddy
04-04-2008, 04:36 AM
True. Bjorn Borg, the best clay court player ever, lost only twice in his life at the French - both times to the same guy - Adriano Panatta, a serve and volleyer.

This is a valuable info but not really decisive proof that net play is the way to go on slow clay. My first hand info ( playing on clay a lot and I love to attack and go to the net ) says that some of the biggest problems are - changing direction is impossible and closing out the point with a volley is pretty hard unles you hit a perfect drop-volley or your aproach is not perfect. If you bump into a fast player who has good angles and can pass good - most likely he will pass you 4 out of 5 times, clay slows the action and gives more time for passing shot preparation.

iriraz
04-04-2008, 04:37 AM
Roger needs to stop hanging out with Pete. Ever since they got together Fed's been losing a bit more than usual.

- Rog and Pete played in Pete's backyard before Indian Wells: Rog loses back to back matches against Canas.

- Rog and Pete play 3 exhibitions in Asia: Rog feels ill before the Aussie Open and loses in the semis.

- Rog and Pete play another exhibition in New York before Indian Wells and Miami: Rog is sent home packing before the finals of both events.

;)
Still playing those exhibitions he probably won more money of those then if he had won all of these tourneys

goforgold99
04-04-2008, 04:55 AM
I noticed that too with the backhand.

Seems to me like Fed doesn't feel confident anymore, and in fear of shanking he "safely" tries to push the ball back into play.

Makes me sad watching that :( :( :(

MichaelChang
04-04-2008, 05:03 AM
As non-pro player, we will feel lack of confidence if we hit a 1hbh. But I don't think that is the case for top pros. In the case of Federer, I tend to agree with the point that, he is just changing his shots strategically, and whether it is a good change or bad, the results from 05-07 shows it works just fine. For 08, I think more or less his losses are related to the mono, if he really has mono, which really impacted his movement, not really because of his backhand.

daveyboy
04-04-2008, 05:12 AM
I'm going to throw out this idea.

Is it possible that Fed is experiencing a bit of a slump because he's gone to a slightly heavier racket, same paint (of course) but he's still adjusting to it? I'm not saying thats the cause, but the clay season is coming and the heavier frame would be to his benefit. I'm speculating, not excuse making here.

Darth Nihilus
04-04-2008, 05:13 AM

Isn't he doing that now? :confused: He's not exactly bum rushing the net lately. As for coaching, Gilbert is not a ad idea but he talks too much and can get under anyone's skin. He needs a mild mannered person, kind of like a mirror image of himself. Roche was good, letting him go was a mistake and was a hasty decision. What's the rush? It's not like he's trapped for cash. Hindsight is always 20-20 (or 20-15). I fear Federer's gotten too hard headed (stubborn) for his own good. :|

the Town Sherif
04-04-2008, 05:22 AM
instead of using his n90, why not use his Q90....

the fact is he's been playing with the same racquet under different paint for the last 4 years basically.

come on guys, there have been SO many threads on what racquet he's using and whether or not he should change to a larger headsize.

give it a rest already!

Tempest344
04-04-2008, 05:23 AM
one word......no
why would he change when he has being using the same racquet for his whole career?

atomicx
04-04-2008, 05:33 AM
It doesn't really count since it wasn't on TV. No one will care or remember since no one saw it!!!! No sarcasm intended. . .

Not true. I saw it on TV last night. It wasn't live but it was televised. Not sure if it was also televised when it was actually live or not. I saw it on FSN Ohio. That aside, even if you don't see it on TV I'm pretty sure the results count. There are a lot of people following the so-called demise of Federer and whether they saw the match on TV or not, they are all well aware of what happened I assure you!:)

rocket
04-04-2008, 05:40 AM

It's not his stick (it's the same), it's his game. He tends not to do too well against tenacious baseliners. All Canas had to do was to hang in there & wait for Fed to pile up on the # of unforced errors.

my_forehand
04-04-2008, 05:45 AM
There must be [K]ryptonite in everyone's racquet.

jgn1013
04-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Still playing those exhibitions he probably won more money of those then if he had won all of these tourneys

don't think that guy cares about the money so much anymore.

Leelord337
04-04-2008, 05:47 AM
I think roger should switch to kfactor 95 just for the Clay season.

like agassi did with the head liquidmetal instinct several years ago during the clay season.

btw, roger needs to dump wilson (but he signed a lifetime contract w/wilson) and switch to tecnifbre (the best rackets out there)

nickb
04-04-2008, 05:48 AM
"Should Federer change racquet?"

No

christos_liaskos
04-04-2008, 05:58 AM
Darren Cahill would be perfect for him. or Paul Annacone would be another great choice. Paul is awsome at booking hotels and making plane reservations.

I was just about to give you praise for mentioning Annacone until I read the rest of your post and realised that you seem to be sarcastic?

I logged onto this thread so I could personally put Annacone down as a suggestion. I am not sure exactly what his playing style was but that is irrelevant for me. Lets look at who he coached. Sampras. He guided a player through expectation and pressure to the point where amassed 14 slams. I use the word 'coached' losely and put the emphasis on 'guided'. Both Sampras and Federer have the games and dont need any technical help. Only one coach has dealt with a player who is under the pressure that Federer is under and that is Annacone.

roddick89
04-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Who knows what stick federer is using anyway?
And i agree with nickb, he doesnt need to change racquet becuase theres no actual need to, if there is explain it to me.

veroniquem
04-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Isn't he doing that now? :confused: He's not exactly bum rushing the net lately. As for coaching, Gilbert is not a ad idea but he talks too much and can get under anyone's skin. He needs a mild mannered person, kind of like a mirror image of himself. Roche was good, letting him go was a mistake and was a hasty decision. What's the rush? It's not like he's trapped for cash. Hindsight is always 20-20 (or 20-15). I fear Federer's gotten too hard headed (stubborn) for his own good. :|
Yes, firing Roche was a rash decision. I bet he's regretting it by now. I thought Roche's personality was perfect for Fed. Maybe he could admit he was wrong and re-hire him?

Rickson
04-04-2008, 06:22 AM
I have a feeling Mirka and her daily food habits had something to do with Tony's demise. "Roger, don't pay Tony when you could be using that money for my food!".

Rafanatic
04-04-2008, 06:30 AM
I agree hire a coach

sunflowerhx
04-04-2008, 06:37 AM
SOOO many Federer bashers?

1. Because its human nature to want to knock down dominate individuals/teams.

2. This forum is mainly Americans, and they can't bear the thought of a non Yank dominating the game and beating Sampra's record. It was the same when Lendl was dominate.

I guess they are use to years of American domination in the form of Conners/Mac/Sampras/Agassi/Courier. Now the best you have is Roddick/Blake.

zagor
04-04-2008, 06:41 AM
1. Because its human nature to want to knock down dominate individuals/teams.

2. This forum is mainly Americans, and they can't bear the thought of a non Yank dominating the game and beating Sampra's record. It was the same when Lendl was dominate.

I guess they are use to years of American domination in the form of Conners/Mac/Sampras/Agassi/Courier. Now the best you have is Roddick/Blake.

That about sums it up,well said.

FH2FH
04-04-2008, 06:52 AM
sunflowerhx/zagor, just because someone's American doesn't mean they only like American players.

sunflowerhx's #1 reason is probably the most true. I could care less about Sampras' record. Kudos to anyone who can be the best (at anything). Federer is a more "complete" GOAT than Sampras anyway, and I am American.

saram
04-04-2008, 06:55 AM
I knew there would be quite a few posts/threads claiming Roger's decline and Andy's greatness. They always occur following a loss by the Fed and the greatness of the opponent that beat him. To me, 2-15 is nothing to be proud of. Unfortunately, the posts and threads are generally based of slight snips at the Fed and feed the hype following a loss. Never in my life have I seen one player bashed so much following a loss. One would hope though, or at least I do, that people could take a step back, analyze tennis and the season prior to posting such threads.

Granted, there are a few players that are playing exceptionally well this year such as Novak and Andy. They truly have raised their level of play consistently in the early part of 2008. But I don't think they have their game enough to consistently beat a healthy Fed.

For nearly a decade, I raced bicycles in my youth. I was a Cat III cyclist and at the end of one season, hooked up with a professional cyclist that was on the U.S. Olympic team, and raced for Spago. I spent an entire off season training with him. The one thing that separated us was intensity. Not only did he take in longer training rides, but the intensity difference was amazing. Training days with him felt like racing days in the Cat III level. In time, I was able to adjust and the next season, I became a Cat II cyclist. While I did pretty well at local races competing against fellow Cat II cyclists, the days the professional cyclists such as Lance came to town--the intensity was far beyond anything that I had experienced. I spent one more season racing. All I ever was during the races with the elite professionals was what we called: "Pack Fill". Or, just another guy that finished a race. Nothing more. They say in cycling that the difference between winning a professional level event and just finishing is 1/10th of 1%. The same holds true in professional tennis.

Not many of the posters here have had the opportunity to hit with professional tennis players, nor the elite in collegiate tennis, etc. I hit with a former top 20 player on occasion throughout the year and it hurts. Just hitting groundies hurts. With my athleticism and past experience in cycling combined, it is still painful and difficult as can be to hit with a guy that hits a ball that hard, that consistent, etc. I can hit with 4.0-4.5's all day long and never need water. But hitting with a former pro makes me want to call for a break every ten minutes and drink and delay, etc.

Roger has had mono. We saw at the AO that he has lost a step. He did not lose this step overnight. No one declines in physical performance like that without a cause/reason. He looked pale and depleted throughout the AO. He also looked flat against Murray, Fish, and last night. He did though, look slightly better last night against Roddick--although still a step behind.

Mono can last 2-4 months. As well, it always remains within the body and can resurface at any time. A person going throughout their day living a normal life would probably not be affected by mono after a few months. But a professional tennis player being pushed at the professional level daily would surely feel the effects more than most of us regular blokes would/could know/experience.

Sure, it is nice to see some losses for the Fed and other players finally claiming some titles. But to post frequent threads saying the Fed is washed up, needs to change rackets, can't win another tournament to save his life, etc., is just a detachment from reality...

Salsa_Lover
04-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Good luck to Federer. =) Form is temporary, class is forever.

Agreed !

10 char

Puma
04-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Kudos for you Saram, for speaking the low down. In my opinion Roddicks power game is impressive, Nadals game is gritty and he has improved. Feds game is and always be fluid and wonderful to watch. I admire all of those guys and choose not to slam them.

For Roddicks sake, I am not a huge fan of his, but it takes a ton of guts to face up with Fed over and over again and get spanked and have to answer to the media and fans about it.

The constant bashing here just goes to show who are really the fans and who are really the competitors or at least have been a competitior in their past. Someone who has given it all they got and got spanked knows how Roddick feels. And someone who has worked hard and reaped the reward can identify with those who prevail.

Constant bashing is the purest form of a lack of class and experience in competition.......

daddy
04-04-2008, 07:36 AM
I would stick to the part where you said Roddick and Novak are playing well this year, true that. I will agree with the part where you say they can not consistantly beat healthy Fed, correct.

As for the rest of your post, I can say it is onesided and I doubt that mono or whatever single reason is responsible for mild Federer decline in results this year. I am sure it is a combination of few factors, as I've mentioned before imo some of them are pressure of nr1 spot and chasing the records, falling out of shape and not training as hard as before, age, illness, form, raised level of competition and better oponents ( or in better form ), other players sense this and give more than usually against him etc.

Example :

Q. At what stage did you feel that Roger was beatable today? I mean, obviously last week you witnessed Mardy beating him in Indian Wells. At what stage did you feel Roger was beatable today?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know if it's just today. I know if I ‑‑ you know, last year at the Open I played about as well as I could, and if he doesn't stick a return off a 140 serve on the line, I know there's always a chance.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't encouraged by Mardy's result last week. I had got home from a long kind of a day of practice, and I had just gotten off the phone with Mardy's fiancée. She was going nuts, and I parked my car and went out again and went for another run because I think I was excited and optimistic.
I had a sudden burst of energy and kind of ran till the sun went down because I was starting to feel, you know, hopeful and I was happy for Mardy. You know, so I was probably encouraged by that result.

Bobble
04-04-2008, 07:46 AM
I have also noticed this difference in the bh. I was watching the old Safin-Fed Semi from the AO 2005 as well as some of Rog's stuff from the 2006-7 US open. All I will say is that i notice the difference. It seems like he is hitting his backhand very tentatively, like he is in a constant state of playing nadal at Roland Garros.

ksbh
04-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Overall, good post Saram. But I have to disagree with the bits in bold below, with my comments in Green.

I knew there would be quite a few posts/threads claiming Roger's decline and Andy's greatness. They always occur following a loss by the Fed and the greatness of the opponent that beat him. To me, 2-15 is nothing to be proud of. Unfortunately, the posts and threads are generally based of slight snips at the Fed and feed the hype following a loss. Never in my life have I seen one player bashed so much following a loss- Then you probably were not on the forum when Nadal was spanking Fed consistently and all the Fed fans could do was say the most derogatory things about Nadal. Of course, when Djokovic refused to buckle against Fed, they started bashing him as well!. One would hope though, or at least I do, that people could take a step back, analyze tennis and the season prior to posting such threads.

Granted, there are a few players that are playing exceptionally well this year such as Novak and Andy. They truly have raised their level of play consistently in the early part of 2008. But I don't think they have their game enough to consistently beat a healthy Fed.

For nearly a decade, I raced bicycles in my youth. I was a Cat III cyclist and at the end of one season, hooked up with a professional cyclist that was on the U.S. Olympic team, and raced for Spago. I spent an entire off season training with him. The one thing that separated us was intensity. Not only did he take in longer training rides, but the intensity difference was amazing. Training days with him felt like racing days in the Cat III level. In time, I was able to adjust and the next season, I became a Cat II cyclist. While I did pretty well at local races competing against fellow Cat II cyclists, the days the professional cyclists such as Lance came to town--the intensity was far beyond anything that I had experienced. I spent one more season racing. All I ever was during the races with the elite professionals was what we called: "Pack Fill". Or, just another guy that finished a race. Nothing more. They say in cycling that the difference between winning a professional level event and just finishing is 1/10th of 1%. The same holds true in professional tennis.

Not many of the posters here have had the opportunity to hit with professional tennis players, nor the elite in collegiate tennis, etc. I hit with a former top 20 player on occasion throughout the year and it hurts. Just hitting groundies hurts. With my athleticism and past experience in cycling combined, it is still painful and difficult as can be to hit with a guy that hits a ball that hard, that consistent, etc. I can hit with 4.0-4.5's all day long and never need water. But hitting with a former pro makes me want to call for a break every ten minutes and drink and delay, etc.

Roger has had mono- Disagree. Nobody with mono goes 5 sets against a player. Moreover, he came back to win his very next match in straight sets. Like I've said before, he's truly a GOAT human being to do that if he really had mono!. We saw at the AO that he has lost a step. He did not lose this step overnight. No one declines in physical performance like that without a cause/reason. He looked pale and depleted throughout the AO. He also looked flat against Murray, Fish, and last night. He did though, look slightly better last night against Roddick--although still a step behind.

Mono can last 2-4 months. As well, it always remains within the body and can resurface at any time. A person going throughout their day living a normal life would probably not be affected by mono after a few months. But a professional tennis player being pushed at the professional level daily would surely feel the effects more than most of us regular blokes would/could know/experience.

Sure, it is nice to see some losses for the Fed and other players finally claiming some titles. But to post frequent threads saying the Fed is washed up, needs to change rackets, can't win another tournament to save his life, etc., is just a detachment from reality... AGREED

SempreSami
04-04-2008, 07:48 AM
I'd stop having digs at Federer when people quit with the rubbish about Djokovic's ball bouncing being cheating and Nadal 'picking his butt', his shorts must ride up his arse and he has to do that every point or it's as superstition like the labels of his water bottles facing the court ffs.

ksbh
04-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Daddy makes some very significant points here. I always wondered why players like Blake with his excellent ground game couldn't give more of a fight against Federer. It's because they never really believed they could beat Fed. It wasn't about their game, it was their mental state.

After losing to Blake in a semi-final (can't remember which tourney it was), Nadal was asked if Blake could beat Federer in the final. Tellingly, Nadal said "if he believes he can win". Now that more guys have started to beat Federer, more playes will go out on court believing they can beat Federer. Daddy's post of Roddick's interview proves just that. Federer's psychological hold over players is waning significantly and I see a turbulent year for him.

I would stick to the part where you said Roddick and Novak are playing well this year, true that. I will agree with the part where you say they can not consistantly beat healthy Fed, correct.

As for the rest of your post, I can say it is onesided and I doubt that mono or whatever single reason is responsible for mild Federer decline in results this year. I am sure it is a combination of few factors, as I've mentioned before imo some of them are pressure of nr1 spot and chasing the records, falling out of shape and not training as hard as before, age, illness, form, raised level of competition and better oponents ( or in better form ), other players sense this and give more than usually against him etc.

Example :

Q. At what stage did you feel that Roger was beatable today? I mean, obviously last week you witnessed Mardy beating him in Indian Wells. At what stage did you feel Roger was beatable today?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know if it's just today. I know if I ‑‑ you know, last year at the Open I played about as well as I could, and if he doesn't stick a return off a 140 serve on the line, I know there's always a chance.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't encouraged by Mardy's result last week. I had got home from a long kind of a day of practice, and I had just gotten off the phone with Mardy's fiancée. She was going nuts, and I parked my car and went out again and went for another run because I think I was excited and optimistic.
I had a sudden burst of energy and kind of ran till the sun went down because I was starting to feel, you know, hopeful and I was happy for Mardy. You know, so I was probably encouraged by that result.

ksbh
04-04-2008, 07:57 AM
SempreSami got it spot on.

I'd also stop bashing Federer if *******s would stop their habit of bashing and making derogatory comments about anyone who beats Federer!

DJG
04-04-2008, 08:02 AM
I agree with the OP's in most aspects. One thing I remembered from a long time ago was an interview with Yannick Noah. He was also plagued by injuries so had a couple of stop-starts.

The one comment that stuck in my mind was something along the lines of "the biggest struggle coming back is the pace, it just feel unreal". That was in the 80's.

dbh1960
04-04-2008, 08:04 AM
My 2 cents: He just plain looks slower to me. He seems to be caught out of position a lot more than last year...

Also, even when he anticipated Roddick's serve location, he couldn't get around on it in time. Sometimes even on the second serve. Somethin' ain't right...

saram
04-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Kudos for you Saram, for speaking the low down. In my opinion Roddicks power game is impressive, Nadals game is gritty and he has improved. Feds game is and always be fluid and wonderful to watch. I admire all of those guys and choose not to slam them.

For Roddicks sake, I am not a huge fan of his, but it takes a ton of guts to face up with Fed over and over again and get spanked and have to answer to the media and fans about it.

The constant bashing here just goes to show who are really the fans and who are really the competitors or at least have been a competitior in their past. Someone who has given it all they got and got spanked knows how Roddick feels. And someone who has worked hard and reaped the reward can identify with those who prevail.

Constant bashing is the purest form of a lack of class and experience in competition.......

My point in posting this is that it only takes one step in the top echelon of men's tennis to lose. They showed a few clips last night of the Fed being constantly behind just one step causing errant shots.

I thought about posting this thread. Then, I opted not to do so. Then, in the players and gear section--someone posted that Roger needs to change rackets once again. That was just too much.

saram
04-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Daddy is right. And, he and I have both posted that in the referral to the Tipsy/Fed match at the AO. Tipsy was the first player to actually believe that they could take down the Fed. Taking the Fed five tough sets showed the world that a guy without any true weapons and a sheer and utter belief that they can win--can win. Combine that with mono or whatever it is that is plaguing Roger either mentally or physically and the doors are wide open at every tournament until Roger either gets healthy again or resolves the personal problems that we don't know about that plague him.

Rickson
04-04-2008, 08:08 AM
I agree hire a coach

But who should he hire? I still think Killer Cahill is the man.

Rogisbestever
04-04-2008, 08:11 AM
no need for roger to switch frames - what for?
all he needs is to get healthy, train hard again and it will all fall back into place... ready for the grass and 2nd hard court season of the year.

Aabye
04-04-2008, 08:12 AM
:neutral:But who should he hire? I still think Killer Cahill is the man.

Don't think Killer wants that job. But even if he did, I'm not sure Federer is in desperate need of a coach at this point. Roddick beat him without one, and even I wouldn't go so far as to say that Andy has a better tennis mind than Federer. It's not his tactics that are the problem, and that is really where a coach would help. It's something else, maybe mental fatigue?

Strateon
04-04-2008, 08:18 AM
As non-pro player, we will feel lack of confidence if we hit a 1hbh. But I don't think that is the case for top pros. In the case of Federer, I tend to agree with the point that, he is just changing his shots strategically, and whether it is a good change or bad, the results from 05-07 shows it works just fine. For 08, I think more or less his losses are related to the mono, if he really has mono, which really impacted his movement, not really because of his backhand.

Please don't generalise! :twisted:

Djokovicfan4life
04-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Wait a second, now Federer's a pusher?

I guess everyone's a pusher on TW.

leon505
04-04-2008, 08:23 AM
lets just appreciate the man until he does retire. How many roger federer type players do you see in your lifetime? 1 maybe 2? he is one of the most dominant athletes of his era, lets just appreciate his greatness, humility, and overall heart of a champion

Nadal_Monfils
04-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Federer does not have mono, if he ever had it in the first place. Exercising with mono can cause one's spleen to rupture, seems like a risk that no one would be willing to take just to defend their tennis ranking or whatever.

NamRanger
04-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Agreed 100%

Outside of Rod Laver, how many S&V players have won the French? Not many. Nadal would torch Federer if he tried to come to net on clay.

saram
04-04-2008, 08:35 AM
I know from the fact that K90 tends to sail on my forehand, and that is why I go back to the N90.

You are no Roger Federer. So you comparing your results to his use of the same stick is just kind of hilarious. No offense, but hilarious.

saram
04-04-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm going to throw out this idea.

Is it possible that Fed is experiencing a bit of a slump because he's gone to a slightly heavier racket, same paint (of course) but he's still adjusting to it? I'm not saying thats the cause, but the clay season is coming and the heavier frame would be to his benefit. I'm speculating, not excuse making here.

Pure and simple: NO.

jamesblakefan#1
04-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Daddy is right. And, he and I have both posted that in the referral to the Tipsy/Fed match at the AO. Tipsy was the first player to actually believe that they could take down the Fed. Taking the Fed five tough sets showed the world that a guy without any true weapons and a sheer and utter belief that they can win--can win. Combine that with mono or whatever it is that is plaguing Roger either mentally or physically and the doors are wide open at every tournament until Roger either gets healthy again or resolves the personal problems that we don't know about that plague him.

I disagree with this. Maybe you didn't mean 1st guy ever, but others have had belief vs. Fed (Nadal always, Djokovic in Montreal, Safin in AO) You can clearly see the difference in the results of guys who go out with respect for Fed but still belief, and the guys who just kiss his *** in every interview (Blake) To the earlier point, most guys, including Blake, don't have the believe vs. Fed.

saram
04-04-2008, 08:44 AM
I disagree with this. Maybe you didn't mean 1st guy ever, but others have had belief vs. Fed (Nadal always, Djokovic in Montreal, Safin in AO) You can clearly see the difference in the results of guys who go out with respect for Fed but still belief, and the guys who just kiss his *** in every interview (Blake) To the earlier point, most guys, including Blake, don't have the believe vs. Fed.

No, I did not mean ever. I meant in 2008 and in the AO.

daddy
04-04-2008, 08:46 AM

Not 'the first player' but surely one of the rare to do so. I mean when you look at top 10 players in recent times, there are so many guys he owned so much that it was boaring. Blake's, Robredo's, Ljubicic's, Gonzalese's, Roddick's and all the others were just pathetic. I was amased than 50th player in the world did what 5th could not do in sixteen meetings. And turned out that the very 5th player at the time needed to see he is beatable to trust in his abilities and finally beat him.

On the other hand 'cocky' Djokovic, respectfull Nadal and defensive Murray and of course Nalbandian are top of the pile for me in these terms, they always go for it and trust in their ability no matter what. Canas was a refreshment also last year.

Nadal_Monfils
04-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Federer should give Toni Nadal a call for some tips at the French.

CAM178
04-04-2008, 08:51 AM
People (esPECially the OP) are reading too much into one match. Roddick won. . . big deal. He was due, after losing 15 times in a row. Hey OP, did you forget that little stat? Every dog has his day. Just ask Volandri, Murray, etc., who have beaten an off-pace Fed.

Fed's had mono for the first part of the year, and people think that he is some robot who can rebound effortlessly from that. Losing, whether healthy or not, shakes one's confidence. Fed is just second-guessing himself, that's all. He just needs to win a tournament or two, and he'll be back to his old self.

But for all tennis fans, in a sick way, we should be enjoying Fed's Achilles moment, as it's nice for a bit to see others enjoying the spotlight. The lights go back out for the rest of the field shortly, when Fed comes back into his own.

And it's not 'fanboyism', or whatever retreaded word is thrown around here. I like Fed because of his personality, his disgusting talent, and his off-court efforts. He is the total package, and the best ambassador this sport has ever seen, IMO.

Khale
04-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Let's be real: Professional athletes get sick (Just like the rest of us) !! For Federer to allow his agent to leak that he had "mono" was pathetic. Come on, if you're in contention as the GOAT you don't make excuses, you play through your ordeals. Like Jordan's "FLU" game or Sampras' Thalassemia....which he didn't disclose until he was going near the end of his career.

Federer, you're no Berydch or Haas, so don't make excuses like them.

NamRanger
04-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Lets get real, it's not the mono. He moved extremely well against Monfils and Acusuco, cutting off the net better then anyone I've seen in a very long time. He's not slow, he just lost half a step, which has drastically affected his game. Age is starting to slowly creep into his game. He's healthy, he's fine.

He will definitely not win a clay title this year with the way he's playing right now. His movement is gone, and without that, he's going to be wide open to upsets on clay.

Rickson
04-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Federer should give Toni Nadal a call for some tips at the French.

Would you trust him?

BlahDow
04-04-2008, 10:23 AM
how bout everyone get off every pro's back?..fed isn't the only one that gets bashed.

fastdunn
04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
anyway, if i am a journey man clay court specialist, i'll be licking my chop right now (i am not quite sure about this english expression).

this could be once in a life time chance to beat Federer while he is #1.

Lendl and Federer Fan
04-04-2008, 02:14 PM

;)

Superstition. Or just coincidence.

But I think he is getting too much hype from playing Pete.
It is never a good thing, because it causes him to afraid of losing.

TheTruth
04-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Daddy makes some very significant points here. I always wondered why players like Blake with his excellent ground game couldn't give more of a fight against Federer. It's because they never really believed they could beat Fed. It wasn't about their game, it was their mental state.

After losing to Blake in a semi-final (can't remember which tourney it was), Nadal was asked if Blake could beat Federer in the final. Tellingly, Nadal said "if he believes he can win". Now that more guys have started to beat Federer, more playes will go out on court believing they can beat Federer. Daddy's post of Roddick's interview proves just that. Federer's psychological hold over players is waning significantly and I see a turbulent year for him.

I couldn't agree more. What's been noticeably absent from the debate has been the psychological effect on the field. During Roger's dominance, player have taken a cue from the booths and believed it was ok to lose to Roger. They have lacked in fire and competition, except for a few. Even Nalbandian forgot he used to own Roger, because Roger was supposed to be so good. Roddick fell prey to that mentality when Roger was able to get his serve back. Without his serve he lost his confidence when playing Roger. But, when Volandri beat Fed, Janko took notice (he said so in an interview) and all the rest slowly began to follow suit. IMO, Fed is not in decline. He is playing the way he always plays, the difference is in the mindset of his opponent. If the boys come to play, the road ahead will be very tough for Federer!

TheTruth
04-04-2008, 06:53 PM

It actually started with Volandri. Tipsy remarked on it himself.

TheTruth
04-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Let's be real: Professional athletes get sick (Just like the rest of us) !! For Federer to allow his agent to leak that he had "mono" was pathetic. Come on, if you're in contention as the GOAT you don't make excuses, you play through your ordeals. Like Jordan's "FLU" game or Sampras' Thalassemia....which he didn't disclose until he was going near the end of his career.

Federer, you're no Berydch or Haas, so don't make excuses like them.

Gotta agree! The leaking to the press incident is horrendous. Most pros don't allow themselves those kind of excuses, nor do they badmouth the person, or the person's game who beat them. Comments such as "he hasn't improved," "he's one-dimensional", etc. would never come out of the mouth of someone with so much reported class and humility. Giving Fed a pass on his behavior is just plain wrong!

Caladbolg
04-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Gotta agree! The leaking to the press incident is horrendous. Most pros don't allow themselves those kind of excuses, nor do they badmouth the person, or the person's game who beat them. Comments such as "he hasn't improved," "he's one-dimensional", etc. would never come out of the mouth of someone with so much reported class and humility. Giving Fed a pass on his behavior is just plain wrong!

Yep i've always said it, Federer is a cocky man and quite presumptuous too, when he wins it's all good and he's a "nice guy", but when he loses he dips his head down and talks all sore and he looks mad and even behaves like a jerk, saying others havent improved, he has all this well deserved

kabob
04-05-2008, 03:33 AM

Paul Annacone now works full time as head coach for the Lawn Tennis Assoc. and is heading up the UK's Davis Cup team. So no, he's not available even if Federer wanted him.