PDA

View Full Version : Doubles Talk

czech09
04-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Hey, I'm just wondering what other phrases you guys use when you play doubles to motivate yourself and your partner. I'm looking for something new as mine seem really repetitive.

"Nice shot"
"Come on"
"Let's go"
"It's ok"

Thanks in advance.

WBF
04-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Personally, I refrain from any sort of comment that sounds remotely like 'Let's Go!" I know you might want to sound encouraging, but many people might take this as a 'You aren't putting enough work into this, try harder!' type comment. I get incredibly miffed when partners use wording like this. Stuff like 'alrighty, we've got this!' or other phrases that don't indicate working harder should usually be fine.

Usually stuff like 'awesome shot!', 'very niiice', 'sweet' adn any other variation. If you are just looking for words, find a thesaurus :p

Doc Hollidae
04-04-2008, 10:07 AM
I think Jelena Jankovic said it best:

When it was a breakpoint, I'd tell him, "Jamie, let's go. This return, hit a good one because you gonna get many kisses, you know."

Bungalo Bill
04-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Hey, I'm just wondering what other phrases you guys use when you play doubles to motivate yourself and your partner. I'm looking for something new as mine seem really repetitive.

"Nice shot"
"Come on"
"Let's go"
"It's ok"

Thanks in advance.

Well I don't say "it's okay". I am usually very quiet in doubles. However, I will turn around and kick my partner in the rear end (as he would with me) and say "come on". However, I won't say much and neither will he unless we are talking about plays and strategies.

Basically, we know what to do and the encouragement or butt-kicking comes when needed. So what ever words there are to say it I guess depends on the situation.

WBF
04-04-2008, 11:04 AM
I suppose it does depend on the person. Some people might be encouraged by a 'Come on' or 'Let's go'.

Personally, I find those phrases condescending, and if my partner uses them regularly, I would be quite annoyed.

In all the competitive tournaments and matches I've been in, most of the best teams did not utilize anything but positive exclamations.

Bagumbawalla
04-04-2008, 06:54 PM
I agree, that trite, generic phrases can be annoying.

Also things like, "We really need this point," are even more annoying.

If I see an especially great shot or effort, I might say good shot or excellent play or something like that- even to the opposing team.

But better than come up with a thesaurus of false-sounding phrases, I would suggest working on strategies, signals-- communication, in general, to the point where you each have an understanding of what is expected in various situations.

But always keep that one word handy for when you really, really need it-- "yours."

Solat
04-04-2008, 08:41 PM
i like to give it a bit of
"lets make 4 returns here"
"keep your head up"
"lets push up on 2nd serve"
"lets make 4 first serves"

so i like to remind my partner that its "us" and "we" try to avoid get YOUR serve in / YOU have to do this/that

quicken
04-04-2008, 09:18 PM
nice and easy buddy

Hot Sauce
04-04-2008, 09:32 PM
"Let's close this out"

Mansewerz
04-04-2008, 09:41 PM
"We've got this"
"Get your second serve in!"
"Calm down"
"Can't be doing that!"

Photoshop
04-04-2008, 10:29 PM
"Get your second serve in!"
"Calm down"
"Can't be doing that!"
:D hope you aren't serious, lol!

vndesu
04-04-2008, 10:35 PM
me and my old partner would like
speak in lilttle bits of japanese.

like ima means now
hai is yes
etc :]

czech09
04-04-2008, 10:42 PM
me and my old partner would like
speak in lilttle bits of japanese.

like ima means now
hai is yes
etc :]

That's pretty funny if neither of you are Japanese.

I should have mentioned that I have been playing with my partner for almost four years now. You learn something new everyday though. I never thought of someone interpreting "Let's go!" in a negative way but I can see how that can be the case (especially if done repetitively).

I'll just stick to the racket tapping after each point and just acknowledging nice shots. Maybe slip in a joke or two at random points during the match.

Thanks for the input.

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I agree, that trite, generic phrases can be annoying.

Also things like, "We really need this point," are even more annoying.

Certainly dont agree with this one. Listen, and this is for everyone. In doubles, communication is extremely important.

Using signs, talking over your strategies, saying encouraging words and words of "motivation" are all part of the game.

Saying "we really need this point" is perfectly fine to say. There is nothing wrong actually with any of the phrases provided here.

The key issue in saying these things is TIMING. You just have to know your partner and be you!

If you want to say something to your partner and you thought it was good timing, forget about it and move on. The last thing you want is to dwell on it especially if you intentions were good.

seb85
04-05-2008, 08:15 AM
I agree, my usual partner and I talk all the time- i appreciate him telling me its an important point and vica versa- better to be told something i know that to forget and loose the point.

Likewise if either of us is doing something stupid we share it- like "stop going for passing shots off returns" or other such stuff.

Of course if either of us is simply having a bad day then theres nothing to do except encourage, perhaps some concentration tips or observations might be useful too

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I agree, my usual partner and I talk all the time- i appreciate him telling me its an important point and vica versa- better to be told something i know that to forget and loose the point.

Likewise if either of us is doing something stupid we share it- like "stop going for passing shots off returns" or other such stuff.

Of course if either of us is simply having a bad day then theres nothing to do except encourage, perhaps some concentration tips or observations might be useful too

Doubles teams are different. Your words of encouragement and motivation all falls under the realm of TIMING.

Some doubles teams (like mine) dont say hardly anything unless they are talking over the point and our strategy to stay on the same page. The weakness with my style of communication is we can become islands.

However, certainly there is nothing wrong with being involved through communication. You just have to know when to not say anything and when to say something.

Bagumbawalla
04-06-2008, 06:44 PM
BB,

Possibly you need someone else to remind you when a point is important.

Most of us, however, feel like we can figure that sort of thing out for themselves.

I agree that choice of partner is important and most of us would not prefer a partner who is annoying.

You may dissagree, but obviously the choice (and deffinition of annoying) is personal, not a universal truth.

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 06:57 PM
BB,

Possibly you need someone else to remind you when a point is important.

Most of us, however, feel like we can figure that sort of thing out for themselves.

I agree that choice of partner is important and most of us would not prefer a partner who is annoying.

You may dissagree, but obviously the choice (and deffinition of annoying) is personal, not a universal truth.

I would agree with you. I read your comments all the time and think you are an asset to these boards. I get a little fussy sometimes, but that isme.

So, I agree we can sometimes we can get to absorbed in our "strokes" and "things" and sort of forget about the score. So yes, that is good to know the importance of the point.

I think how you said things is what I am trying to say. I had a partner that that was extremely annoying. However, another partner who said the exact same things, somehow had a knack at timing his "suggestions" which came across unoffending to me.

I think the latter had better timing with his comments.

I on the other hand, dont say much at all in doubles. I just figure we bring what we bring. If we suck, we should save it for practice or talk it over beers afterwards. I am a bit different when I am playing doubles compared to singles or coaching.

TonLars
04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
This is what everyone should say to their doubles partners:

"See that hot chick over there? She's watching you so hit the ball harder and try not to screw up!"

"Im gunna stand back on your returns, he is fricken killing you up there!"

*Partner double faults* (Slam the net with your racket and roll your eyes) "Why? WHY?! He does this EVERY time!!!"

"Lets just try to hit someone. Look, you cant do a thing out here anyways, right?"

"No no, it was in, I saw it. Sorry guys, he was trying to pull a fast one on ya that time, hah hah! You little cheater, you!"

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 09:04 PM
"No no, it was in, I saw it. Sorry guys, he was trying to pull a fast one on ya that time, hah hah! You little cheater, you!"

Oh yes, I guess I do talk in tennis. Except I think I would say something like this instead.

No, you "beep" that ball was in! What the "beep" are you looking at! You "beeeeeeeep, beeeeep, beeeep, beeeeping," cheater. Two can play that game you son-of-a "beep". Yeah, I am calling you a cheater, do something about it or shut the "beep" up.

I remember now. :oops:

WBF
04-07-2008, 03:39 AM
This is what everyone should say to their doubles partners:

*Partner double faults* (Slam the net with your racket and roll your eyes) "Why? WHY?! He does this EVERY time!!!"

Hahaha, awesome.

jefferson
04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
I think it all depends on your comfort level with your partner. We used to say to each other "lets get the ball rolling" when things weren't going our way and "lets keep the ball rolling" when it was going well.

Always a fan of "thats what I'm talking about!"
"lets get a break"
"one at a time"

k_liu
04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
1) This is just like practice... Swing away
2) No worries... we'll get it back
3) Great idea... we'll get the next one
4) Hey, you remember when we came back from 5-2 and won? Let's do it again.

LuckyR
04-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Basically, if things are going great you can say whatever you want, your partner is in a good mood. Choosing your words carefully though, can be critical when things are going poorly. Anything that can be miscontrued as: "you aren't pulling your weight", such as: "come on", "let's go", "this is an important point", "get your serve (or return) in" etc are more likely to hurt than help.

I have had better luck with actual concrete tactical comments like:"we need to attack the net more" or "we just got unlucky, I think we should keep the same strategy as before" are much more likely to be helpful.

Fay
04-10-2008, 03:26 PM
This is a good question ... I hope a lot of social doubles players see this, LOL!

Some people will not say much except "nice going" or "nice shot" or "we got them running like dogs" ... brief occasional positive comments should be okay.

Some people like talking on the court, I could live without it -- but I can definitely live without some of the things I have heard on occasion.

I only play social doubles, but some of the guys in mixed doubles are 4.0 and 4.5 so they should know better. I can recommend, based upon experience, what not to say:

"Back up!" in a condescending toe,
or
"I got it -- switch" every single ball of an entire match.
he missed so much running the court he finally cut it out.
or
"Get outta my way! I have it ..." with him proceeding to hit the ball into the net, LOL. Twice in one game!

One woman, with whom I had never played before, when I was serving, actually said "Don't miss this!" just as I tossed the ball.
I wonder what they are thinking, ha ha.

Ya gotta develop nerves of steel to play tennis. Not for sissies :-D