PDA

View Full Version : Are we witnessing the beginning of A Four-Horse Race?

GasquetGOAT
04-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Federer and Nadal were untouchable for the last 3 or so years. Last year Djokovic had risen to the challenge of joining the gang at the top. This time around Roddick proved himself worthy of a spot in the elite by beating the world's top 3 players. Are we witnessing, possibly, the beginning of a four-horse race on the top?

Babb
04-04-2008, 02:38 PM
IMO, it's a three-horse race. No Roddick...

Moose Malloy
04-04-2008, 02:39 PM
what will Roddick be ranked if he wins this thing?

saram
04-04-2008, 02:44 PM
No, it is a two horse race right now...

Babb
04-04-2008, 02:47 PM
No, it is a two horse race right now...
Between who, in your opinion?

saram
04-04-2008, 02:47 PM
what will Roddick be ranked if he wins this thing?

He may pass Ferrer. But, he is around 600 pts behind Nikolay who has the same result as Andy right now in Miami--so no significant change. Andy is also over 3000 points behind Novak...so he could only move up one slot. I have not researched Ferrer's results last year at Miami--so I don't know if he defended all his points this week or not.

saram
04-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Roger and Rafa. Novak is almost 1300 points behind Roger. Novak blew it in Miami. Roddick is 4400 points behind Roger and over 3000 points behind Novak. Considering Andy will die on clay, and has to defend Queens, etc, well, I only see two horses as of right now. Come the grass season, things could change slightly.

Roger is off--but not done.

saram
04-04-2008, 02:53 PM

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/rankings/entrysystem/

Here's the points standings as of now.

daddy
04-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I am sure Roddick's nature and his bad claycourt results will prevent him from being a legit contender to join the top 3. He may match them on the surfaces he likes and may take a few wins here and there like he did this year but they are more than ready to return the favour on the very same HC surface if he is not top notch with the serve and Fh and he is not ready to take them on during clay season nor indoors. Grass is gread for Andy so he may separate himself from the rest if he gets good results on grass.

saram
04-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Federer and Nadal were untouchable for the last 3 or so years. Last year Djokovic had risen to the challenge of joining the gang at the top. This time around Roddick proved himself worthy of a spot in the elite by beating the world's top 3 players. Are we witnessing, possibly, the beginning of a four-horse race on the top?

Nalbandian and Ferrer both destroyed the top echelon of tennis at the end of 07. Should we say they are in the hunt as well? Also, Only Rafa and Davydenko have maintained greatness through the course of the last three years while others have come and gone. If Roger had won last night, would you still ask if Andy is in the mix?

daddy
04-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Roger and Rafa. Novak is almost 1300 points behind Roger. Novak blew it in Miami. Roddick is 4400 points behind Roger and over 3000 points behind Novak. Considering Andy will die on clay, and has to defend Queens, etc, well, I only see two horses as of right now. Come the grass season, things could change slightly.

Roger is off--but not done.

Miami was bad for Novak but I think he is a lot better than he was this time last year. He might gain a few points on Nadal on clay as funny as it sounds, he will be privileged because of the ranking and will not face Nadal or Federer before the semis and if he is to reach the semis which is not really that big achievement for him, he will gain a lot. He is defending quarters in Hamburg and Rome and R16 at Monte Carlo. He is losing 200pts in Estoril where he won last year so that is a bit of downside for him.

saram
04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I am sure Roddick's nature and his bad claycourt results will prevent him from being a legit contender to join the top 3. He may match them on the surfaces he likes and may take a few wins here and there like he did this year but they are more than ready to return the favour on the very same HC surface if he is not top notch with the serve and Fh and he is not ready to take them on during clay season nor indoors. Grass is gread for Andy so he may separate himself from the rest if he gets good results on grass.

Andy would have to earn 3125 points over Novak between now and the end of the grass season to get into third spot. And, this is assuming Novak does not defend ANY points.

As well, Andy would have to generate 4395 points to take over Roger with Roger not defending ANY points between now and the end of the grass season.

You really think he can separate himself between now and June????:confused:

saram
04-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Roger: 6550
Rafa: 5705
Novak: 5280
Nikolay: 2710
Ferrer: 2640
Andy: 2160

It is a three horse race at best.

daddy
04-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Andy would have to earn 3125 points over Novak between now and the end of the grass season to get into third spot. And, this is assuming Novak does not defend ANY points.

As well, Andy would have to generate 4395 points to take over Roger with Roger not defending ANY points between now and the end of the grass season.

You really think he can separate himself between now and June????:confused:

You did not get my point. Separate himself from the rest of the field, and be the 4th behind the top 3 and in front of the others. If he keeps on playing this well on HC and notches up good points in Wimby it is a possibility. Seriously he is not going to go to top 3 any time soon if ever again.

danb
04-04-2008, 03:04 PM

You're probably right

JackSkellington
04-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Roger: 6550
Rafa: 5705
Novak: 5280
Nikolay: 2710
Ferrer: 2640
Andy: 2160

It is a three horse race at best.

Your results are not updated...atptennis doesn't update until the end of the tournament.

Federer 125 6,600
Nadal 350 5,930
Djokovic 5 4,785
Davydenko 225 2,900
Ferrer 5 2,570
Roddick 225 2,260

Here are the rankings as of today (After Rafa match, before Night match). Second number is points earned in Miami. You're right about one thing though--Andy has no chance. Even if he wins Miami, he doesn't move in rank.

PROTENNIS63
04-04-2008, 03:24 PM

agreed. End of discussion.

saram
04-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Your results are not updated...atptennis doesn't update until the end of the tournament.

Federer 125 6,600
Nadal 350 5,930
Djokovic 5 4,785
Davydenko 225 2,900
Ferrer 5 2,570
Roddick 225 2,260

Here are the rankings as of today (After Rafa match, before Night match). Second number is points earned in Miami. You're right about one thing though--Andy has no chance. Even if he wins Miami, he doesn't move in rank.

Your results will not be updated following the Davydenko/Roddick match, either....:)

JackSkellington
04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Your results will not be updated following the Davydenko/Roddick match, either....:)

that's nice :p

saram
04-04-2008, 03:52 PM
that's nice :p

I'm just having light humor with ya--didn't mean anything harsh. Only on Monday will the rankings be solidified for a day or two....:)

GasquetGOAT
04-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Separate himself from the rest of the field, and be the 4th behind the top 3 and in front of the others. If he keeps on playing this well on HC and notches up good points in Wimby it is a possibility. Seriously he is not going to go to top 3 any time soon if ever again.

That was exactly my point. Roddick could hang with the top 3 and he has a winning records against most players on tour outside the top 3. Yes Davydenko beat him last night but Davydenko does not beat Fed, Nadal and Djoko in big tournaments, Roddick on the other hand has a much better chance of beating these guys at Wimbledon and USO.

Wuornos
04-05-2008, 09:01 AM

Personally I see it a s a three horse race and I wouldn't have said that until the start of this year.

Personally, most recent results aside, I worry about Roddick at the the moment.

I don't believe his strongest play was at the time when he won the US and achieved #1 rank. Allowing for the quality of opposition faced I see it as being about a year ago. Since then and though and during his association with Connors I feel his standard has fallen slightly. Not greatly but significantly for a player of Roddick's consistency. I just hope it's not the initial evidence of a more permanent decline.

Regards

Tim

vbranis
04-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't know... Roddick played well against Federer, but in his first three matches he looked very average. Benneteau and Troicki almost took him out. And what about the upcoming clay court season? I don't see Andy doing well there, either. I'd have to say that at this point it's still Fed, Nadal, and Djoker at the top.

Alexio92
04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I see davydenko entering the race more than I do roddick or anyone else

GasquetGOAT
04-25-2008, 09:26 AM
I see davydenko entering the race more than I do roddick or anyone else

Davydenko in semis again. I agree this is looking more and more like Fed/Nadal/Djoko and Davydenko four horse race, with him digging deep in every tournaments he enters.