PDA

View Full Version : Serving using either side of the racquet

JavierLW
04-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Someone I know claims that he's playing with a guy at his club who can serve by hitting the ball with either side of the racquet. Has anyone ever heard of that??

I havent seen it yet to witness it and I really doubted it until I saw the video from yesterday's thread on how to hit a wicked slice serve.

In that video, the guy hits a slice by moving slightly over to the eastern backhand grip and brushes against the side of the ball (the right side for a righty)

Which got me to thinking, what if you used the forehand eastern grip, and brushed against the other side of the ball with the other side of the racquet?? (seems like it would be impossible though without a perfect toss)

(incidently this player also claims to have beaten Andy Roddick 7 times when Roddick was 11 years old, but I cant find any proof of that)

Andres
04-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Someone I know claims that he's playing with a guy at his club who can serve by hitting the ball with either side of the racquet. Has anyone ever heard of that??

I havent seen it yet to witness it and I really doubted it until I saw the video from yesterday's thread on how to hit a wicked slice serve.

In that video, the guy hits a slice by moving slightly over to the eastern backhand grip and brushes against the side of the ball (the right side for a righty)

Which got me to thinking, what if you used the forehand eastern grip, and brushed against the other side of the ball with the other side of the racquet?? (seems like it would be impossible though without a perfect toss)

(incidently this player also claims to have beaten Andy Roddick 7 times when Roddick was 11 years old, but I cant find any proof of that)
It's a reverse slice. Fun to watch, but unless you're Tursunov, it's not worthy working on it.

There's a Youtube video of Dmitry hitting an awesome one :)