PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Mid vs. Yonex RDX mid

Coria
01-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Love both of these sticks. Just demoed them. Didn't really take to the Slazenger XI--not enough stability for groundstrokes, although nice on serves.

Have any of you played with both the VE-mid and the RDX mid? thoughts? Which one do you prefer and why?

BreakPoint
01-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Coria,
What did you think of the PS 6.0 95 compared to the other three?

Coria
01-06-2005, 10:16 AM
To be honest, I just don't feel this stick compares to the other two--for me. Maybe I want a little different "feel"--as I used the Pro-Staff original 85 from '87-'93. It's a very good racket though--very good control, nice head lightness making it nice to hit topspin. A so-so serving racket for me, compared to the others. Pretty good at net. I like the 85 better. I also like the 18-19 beams--this is a 20.5 I think.

ferrari_827
01-06-2005, 10:24 AM
That's funny, Coria, I grew up using the PS6.0 85 and learned all my strokes with it, so I already went through my "Wilson phase" and don't have interest in Wilson any more. Other Wilson rackets I've used were the Ultra 2 mid (lacked maneuverability) and the PS6.0 95. If I had to use a Wilson now, it would be a PS 6.0 95 with lead tape, it is a very good frame.

TripleB
01-06-2005, 10:44 AM
RDX-500 Mid (and yes, I've tried both EXTENSIVELY).

I use a lot of spin in my 4.5 game and I just get A LOT more spin from the RDX than I did from the Volkl. I also seem to volley a bit (although by not a great margin) better with the Yonex. It may have just been the confidence level I found in the Yonex but I also felt I had more control with the RDX than the Volkl and the feel (IMO) was more solid with the RDX.

Out of all the demos I've tried in the past couple years, the RDX500 Mid ranks number two in my book (right behind the RDX500 Midplus).

TripleB

man-walking
01-06-2005, 12:00 PM
What I wonder is how much can punch a so light and head light racket like RDX500.
Do you can hit so heavy balls like Tour 10VEmid does?

TripleB
01-06-2005, 12:10 PM
man-walking,

I hit extremely heavy (if you are meaning big spin, deep, and a lot of pace) balls with the RDX-500 Mid. Not quite as "heavy" as with the Midplus, but still a very heavy ball. I think the main reason is because I can get the racquet head moving so fast because it is so light. The lightness also helps when getting around on the ball quickly for cross court shots or when I'm being lazy with my groundstrokes.

TripleB

Tomek_Pl
01-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Better ask some people how can they play with Babolats...

ferrari_827
01-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Actually, the RDX swings *heavier* than its static weight indicates, so people who think it's light need to go out and play with it a full solid hour and a half and they may be in for a surprise.

man-walking
01-06-2005, 01:44 PM
man-walking,

I hit extremely heavy (if you are meaning big spin, deep, and a lot of pace) balls with the RDX-500 Mid. Not quite as "heavy" as with the Midplus, but still a very heavy ball. I think the main reason is because I can get the racquet head moving so fast because it is so light. The lightness also helps when getting around on the ball quickly for cross court shots or when I'm being lazy with my groundstrokes.

TripleB
I mean punch deep, penetrating and constantly fast balls (because much charged) that can often seen as example with Tour 90 or Presige Mid.
Generally I'm not concerned about great or loopy top-spin, yes it gives more confidence and one can do insidious shots, but on the other side the ball seems to spread early its speed and IMO one can have less confidence to maintain constantly long baseline to baseline shots.

BreakPoint
01-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Actually, the RDX swings *heavier* than its static weight indicates, so people who think it's light need to go out and play with it a full solid hour and a half and they may be in for a surprise.
I agree. The RDX 500 Mid does indeed play heavier than its specs would indicate. It certainly plays heavier than my 12.5 oz. PS 6.0 95.

Coria
01-06-2005, 07:29 PM
For me, the RDX mid feels more powerful than the Pro Staff 95--I agree with above stated reasons.

Mies
01-07-2005, 12:26 AM
I just had an hour with the RDX 500 MID on indoor carpet and I was a bit surprised by it. I really had to get used to its feel. I also suspect it was strung very light, because I found it had lots of power and I really had to watch not overhitting putting balls away from the serve line, something I did not have to worry about with the Prestige Mid. The spin from the RDX was tremendous though. Hitting balls half a meter in front of the baseline with loads of spin really kept my oponents fixed well behind the baseline.

My experience is that RDX plays very very light. I put in on my scale at home and it read 343 grams (with an overgrip, no dampener). However, when I was playing with the RDX, it felt like a whip-e-ty-do-da racket (I think TW used this term in one of their tweener reviews :)). I was considering tossing about 10 grams of lead in or something along those lines. I'm worrying that it is a bit too whippy for me. I will give the RDX a run for 2 doubles matches and 2 training sessions and then we'll see. The LM prestige MP swings heavier imo and even that is a very manouverable racket.

Atm those are my two options, either I buy an RDX mid or a LM prestige MP, which feels more solid imo, but that might be due to the string job.

Regards