PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch to a one handed backhand?

TennisProdigy
04-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Okay here's the situation. Wednesday morning, got out of bed half asleep, walked down the stairs, tripped and injured my right wrist... hyperextended it or something. Been hitting one handers past three days because hurts to hit a two hander as of now. Found out I am using a hybrid grip between eastern bh and extreme eastern backhand.

First when I hit on Wednesday, trouble keeping the ball in play and hitting topspin first 30 minutes. Then I could keep the ball in play without resorting to the slice for 2-3 times in a row with reasonable pace and spin. My slice is already perfect and when I was hitting today I could hit a topspin backhand with more spin than my normal two hander meaning more margin for error but with less pace also resulting to more margin for error.

I had once tried to switch to a one hander about 3 months ago but found that two hands was better for me. Now that I'm much stronger, footwork is better, and I can anticipate where the ball is I can hit a 4.0 level one handed backhand right now even though I have only been using it for 3 days but my two handed backhand was probably around the 4.5 level.

Never have I felt so comfortable with a completely new shot. On Wednesday I hit for 2 hours with my dad and 2 hours with the wall. On Thursday I hit 1 hour with the coach, and 1.5 hours with my dad. Today, I played a match against a friend and won 5-7 6-2 and 10-2 in the super tiebreak. In the first set I hit probably 10 backhand errors and 2 winners. However in the next set and tiebreaker, I think I hit somewhere around 6 errors and 8 winners from the backhand side. My wrist probably will be better for my tournament match tomarrow, but I haven't used a two hander in a while, so should I just stick with the one hander?

P.S. When my coach looked at my new backhand he said that I had perfect footwork and preparation and I wasn't late on any of the shots even when he threw a heavy ball at me. He also said that I should stick to the two hander because he believes that two hands are better than one for handling heavy pace and spin.

baek57
04-04-2008, 08:52 PM
If you're comfortable with it and like it better and hurts to use a 2 hander anyway, then make the switch. There are certain occasions where a 2 hander is better and a 1 hander is better, you could also adopt both if you wanted to depending on the situation. I personally use a 1 hander but throw in some 2 handers on occasion when I feel the need to do so.

Djokovicfan4life
04-05-2008, 02:50 AM
The obvious answer to this question is "of course!"

bluegrasser
04-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Use both - when you're stretched out wide or using a slice to change the pace a little go with the one hand bkhnd.

D. Dokas
04-05-2008, 03:22 AM
if youve got perfect footwork for a 1 hand bh itl go in although youve been playing for X amount of years and using a 2hbh although wat happens when your not moving well? on the stretch and dont want 2 hit a slice? loopy topspin balls that come above shoulder height how are u going to hit that 1hbh? i think u should let ur wrist heal and continue using a 2hbh because ull be starting from the start all over again.

take note i was 1nce a 2hbher myself when i made the switch i have been playing for apox. 2 years and just now have i started to master my 1hbh.

also i do play 5 days a week for 3 hours and longer on weekends

seb85
04-05-2008, 03:29 AM
no. why bother? unless there is something wrong with your two hander or you have a burning desire to be more stylish ;) i would stick with what you have. However good you are with the one-hander it will not be as good as your two yet or for some months or years. YOu will also have to modify your match strategy since the strengths and weaknesses of the two shots are different.

TennisProdigy
04-05-2008, 05:57 AM
if youve got perfect footwork for a 1 hand bh itl go in although youve been playing for X amount of years and using a 2hbh although wat happens when your not moving well? on the stretch and dont want 2 hit a slice? loopy topspin balls that come above shoulder height how are u going to hit that 1hbh? i think u should let ur wrist heal and continue using a 2hbh because ull be starting from the start all over again.

take note i was 1nce a 2hbher myself when i made the switch i have been playing for apox. 2 years and just now have i started to master my 1hbh.

also i do play 5 days a week for 3 hours and longer on weekends

Iv'e been playing for 11 months and would be considered a solid sometimes strong 4.0. Fortunately movement is one of the reasons why I'm so good, I'm very well conditioned and speed plus agility is top class. All of the above came from 11 years of competitive soccer.

When I first started tennis my two hander was better than my forehand and was my most natural stroke. With two hands AND one hand I can handle both low balls and balls shoulder height or ever higher with ease. I can hit swinging volleys with my forehand and two handed backhand and one handed backhand. There isn't anything wrong with my two hander except that my right wrist is injured for now but sometimes I feel a bit cramped when hitting it. In comparison, hitting a one hander feels better like I feel I can swing freely without the feeling of being held back if that makes any sense. Obviously right now I would get better results with my two hander since I've been using a one hander for 3 days but perhaps my one hander has more potential than two?

To seb85 - I do have burning desire to be more stylish lol. And if I did stick to a one hander, it would take 1.5 months tops to get it to the level of my two hander. What kind of match strategies do you have in mind that I would need to mold my game around?

TennisProdigy
04-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Use both - when you're stretched out wide or using a slice to change the pace a little go with the one hand bkhnd.

Before when I was stretched out wide on a 2h bh I would slide into the shot a la nadal even on hardcourts. I don't think I would be able to do a sliding one hander but I could do a sliding slice for sure.

seb85
04-05-2008, 09:40 AM
To seb85 - I do have burning desire to be more stylish lol. And if I did stick to a one hander, it would take 1.5 months tops to get it to the level of my two hander. What kind of match strategies do you have in mind that I would need to mold my game around?

well, since you've been playing for only 11 months i would suggest it should be quite easy to modify your strategy.

One example of a strategy change would be: -

Baseline blasters often use two handed backhands because they like the ability to smack the ball really hard off both wings and counterattack using power and placement at the same time. This type of counterattacking is much more difficult with a one-handed backhand. However having a one hander gives you easier access to one handed slice and has a more natural transition to the net game. (how many two handers are there that cant hit a (backhand) volley to save their lives?!). So after switching to a one-hander you might, for example, still smack the ball off your forehand side, but use your backhand more intelligently to force a ball to your forehand, set up an approach shot or simply throw your opponent off by slicing it low to their backhand.

TennisProdigy
04-05-2008, 10:55 AM
well, since you've been playing for only 11 months i would suggest it should be quite easy to modify your strategy.

One example of a strategy change would be: -

Baseline blasters often use two handed backhands because they like the ability to smack the ball really hard off both wings and counterattack using power and placement at the same time. This type of counterattacking is much more difficult with a one-handed backhand. However having a one hander gives you easier access to one handed slice and has a more natural transition to the net game. (how many two handers are there that cant hit a (backhand) volley to save their lives?!). So after switching to a one-hander you might, for example, still smack the ball off your forehand side, but use your backhand more intelligently to force a ball to your forehand, set up an approach shot or simply throw your opponent off by slicing it low to their backhand.

When I first started playing my backhand muscle was stronger than my forearm muscle so naturally my one handed backhand volley was stronger than my forehand volley, now they are about equal.

I like how you said use the backhand to force a ball to the forehand side. With a one hander, I can hit the ball harder than with a two hander, but I won't do that in a match because I cannot control it perfectly yet. One of my favorite shots is the backhand drop shot so it may give me another level of disguise if I stick to my stick to the one hander which I will if I win my tournament match tonight.

I researched the guy I'm playing and if I had all my normal strokes I would probably win 6-3 6-3 or somewhere around that. My right wrist still hurts on contact with a 2h bh so I'll use my 1h bh and see how I do.

Bungalo Bill
04-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Okay here's the situation. Wednesday morning, got out of bed half asleep, walked down the stairs, tripped and injured my right wrist... hyperextended it or something. Been hitting one handers past three days because hurts to hit a two hander as of now. Found out I am using a hybrid grip between eastern bh and extreme eastern backhand.

First when I hit on Wednesday, trouble keeping the ball in play and hitting topspin first 30 minutes. Then I could keep the ball in play without resorting to the slice for 2-3 times in a row with reasonable pace and spin. My slice is already perfect and when I was hitting today I could hit a topspin backhand with more spin than my normal two hander meaning more margin for error but with less pace also resulting to more margin for error.

I had once tried to switch to a one hander about 3 months ago but found that two hands was better for me. Now that I'm much stronger, footwork is better, and I can anticipate where the ball is I can hit a 4.0 level one handed backhand right now even though I have only been using it for 3 days but my two handed backhand was probably around the 4.5 level.

Never have I felt so comfortable with a completely new shot. On Wednesday I hit for 2 hours with my dad and 2 hours with the wall. On Thursday I hit 1 hour with the coach, and 1.5 hours with my dad. Today, I played a match against a friend and won 5-7 6-2 and 10-2 in the super tiebreak. In the first set I hit probably 10 backhand errors and 2 winners. However in the next set and tiebreaker, I think I hit somewhere around 6 errors and 8 winners from the backhand side. My wrist probably will be better for my tournament match tomarrow, but I haven't used a two hander in a while, so should I just stick with the one hander?

P.S. When my coach looked at my new backhand he said that I had perfect footwork and preparation and I wasn't late on any of the shots even when he threw a heavy ball at me. He also said that I should stick to the two hander because he believes that two hands are better than one for handling heavy pace and spin.

If your hand hurts yes. If your hand doesnt hurt, no. Unless a onehanded backhand suits your style/game better.

Bagumbawalla
04-06-2008, 02:00 PM
The most obvious answer is-- if you absolutely cannot (and should not) hit with two hands AND you want to continue play in the mean time, then you have very little choice than to hit with one hand, only-- or sit it out until you heal.

Should you switch to the one-hander permenently? I doubt it, but you never know until you give it a shot.

There is the story of the Olympic pistol expert who lost his shooting hand in WW2 and came back and won the next time using his remaining hand. He had no option, you do.

TennisProdigy
04-06-2008, 05:57 PM
K lost my match saturday 7-5 6-2 10-12 super tie breaker using a one hand because my two hand still hurt a bit. I hit today with the 2 hander for about 30 min. it hurt a bit but noticed I was hitting with much more spin and margin for error than usual. The pace was still there but I was just hitting with good topspin when I normally hit flat. I found that this was an improvement and probably resulted from me hitting low to high on the 1hbh while I usually hit pretty linear on the 2hbh.

Even though I lost that 2 hour match, I was still happy I played it, and I think that if it was a full third set I would have won, because all that kid did was hit to my 1hbh on 90% of the shots but I was running him around, he actually said right after that match,"Man, great match, I'm definitely going right to bed when I get home." I responded, " Thanks for a great match, good luck in your next round."

So IMO it was worth it to hit with a ohbh for 4 days because it improved my 2hbh :twisted:. Im excited to see if I can improve it from a 4.5 level backhand to a 5.0. Need to learn how to use a cam quarter so I can upload me and my dad hitting. How do you upload footage from a cam quarter to the internet or something?

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 06:28 PM
So IMO it was worth it to hit with a ohbh for 4 days because it improved my 2hbh :twisted:.

Funny how that works.