PDA

View Full Version : The fall of World No 1

mrDamien
04-04-2008, 08:53 PM
It's time to say goodbye to both ATP and WTA world No 1 after dominant the tour for so many years. Totally funny and weird as both falling at the same times. Maybe it's time to change for new faces :twisted:.

Crown World No 1 2008:

ATP - Nadal
WTA - Sharapova

Mansewerz
04-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Isn't it awesome how the ATP men's world number 1 is 800 pts ahead of the number 2?

chrisdaniel
04-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I do think Federer and Henin are gonna have some trouble winning slams from here on out, not that winning slams is ever easy. They are not through with the number 1 spot yet.... by the way, Nadal and Sharapova would be number 1 for no more than a few months, if even.

SikSerb
04-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Sharapova? lol isnt she ranked no.5 in the world...

vndesu
04-04-2008, 10:40 PM
It's time to say goodbye to both ATP and WTA world No 1 after dominant the tour for so many years. Totally funny and weird as both falling at the same times. Maybe it's time to change for new faces :twisted:.

Crown World No 1 2008:

ATP - Nadal
WTA - Sharapova

i disagree.
i just hate how ppl are like
feds never gonna win or falling.

you'll never know.

Breaker
04-04-2008, 10:55 PM

Crown World No 1 2008:

ATP - Hewitt
WTA - Whocares Jankovic

Fixed and proven.

tzinc
04-05-2008, 12:22 AM
ATP Nadal
WTA Ivanovic

crawl4
04-05-2008, 12:48 AM
atp: fed

your so pessimistic you federer haters

PROTENNIS63
04-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Isn't it awesome how the ATP men's world number 1 is 800 pts ahead of the number 2?

it sure is. I wonder what the OP drank that messed up his head?

shell
04-05-2008, 05:45 AM

and the WTA world number 1 is 2100 pts. ahead of the number 2, and about 2600 above number 5. It will be a while.

Wuornos
04-05-2008, 06:06 AM

I don't think the idea that Maria Sharapova may succeed Justine Henin at #1 is to far fetched. Based on her quality of play at the moment rather than her official world ranking which is disproporionately influenced by her shoulder injury in the 2nd half of 2007, I would say that Sharapova is Justine's main challenger at the moment.

Having said that, I still think it's premature to regard Justine's reign as over. I always view players from two perspectives. Their underlying playing standard and their current form. Their underlying playing standard moves much more slowly and is not not effected by the more transient issues of personal problems, minor injuries, self confidence etc. The form side moves around the underlying playing standard, sometimes being higher, but sometimes being lower for the reasons previously mentioned. I think Sharapova is at this stage experiencing a uich vein of form while Justine is undergoing the oppoiste. I don't think the evidence is yet sufficient to say that the underlying playing standards now show Justine as being weaker than anyone else in the world beyond any reasonable doubt. I think we need to wait and see how Justine performs in the clay court season before we might have sufficient evidence to believe this to be the case without being premature.

All that I have said above also goes as read in relation to Federer. In fact the evidence regarding Federer's underlying standard is so massive that personall I wouldn't be confident in predicting his demise as the best player in the world, even on a temporary basis (official rankings aside) until at least the end of the 2008 year!

Regards

Tim

Vector
04-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Crown World No 1 2008:

ATP - Nadal

If anyone is becoming #1 this year, it will be the joker.

mrDamien
04-05-2008, 06:25 AM
i disagree.
i just hate how ppl are like
feds never gonna win or falling.

you'll never know.

Fed is falling. Just accept the fact, dude. It's going to happen soon.

mrDamien
04-05-2008, 06:30 AM

You must be kidding me. Djokovic does not has the strength and ability to become world no 1.

mrDamien
04-05-2008, 06:51 AM

Clay season is coming. Nadal could easily chase the 800 pts ahead of Fed.

bluescreen
04-05-2008, 06:58 AM
no, in fact clay season is the last place nadal could obtain the #1 ranking. most of nadal's points come on clay, so he cant gain any more points since he's won every tournament he plays on clay (minus hamburg, but he got to the final there). if nadal slips up even once, he's due for a world of hurt and it'll give fed a chance to further the gap between him and nadal and also give joker a chance to reach at #2.

aceroberts13
04-05-2008, 07:10 AM
no, in fact clay season is the last place nadal could obtain the #1 ranking. most of nadal's points come on clay, so he cant gain any more points since he's won every tournament he plays on clay (minus hamburg, but he got to the final there). if nadal slips up even once, he's due for a world of hurt and it'll give fed a chance to further the gap between him and nadal and also give joker a chance to reach at #2.

People continue to forget this, Fed's lead is might cushy right now actually.

Tennis_Monk
04-05-2008, 09:50 AM

Crown World No 1 2008:

ATP - Nadal
WTA - Sharapova

So going forward, mrDamien will decide the seedings instead of players playing it out for points. Makes all our lives easier.

Please can you seed me at 15. while we are at it please have my cousin at 19 and ...well you get the point.

chiru
04-05-2008, 10:01 AM

Actually You have a pretty good point here. This is basically the most impossible season in which nadal could increase his ranking points. but it IS the most likely season that roger will lose points. it's my very strong opinion that roger's worst surface is clay, and not because he lost to nadal so many times, but I think he will be more vulnerable to other lower ranked players on clay, namely because he can't out "fed" them like he has in years past. he neither has the dominant swagger that he did, nor the crisp movement, both, IMO the keys to his being the dominant no.2 claycourter.

as a side: i hate it when topics like these pretentiously announce predictiosn of federer's time being up, and it being nadal's time etc. etc. look dudes I've wanted nadal to take the no.1 ranking since 05, but I'm SO SICK of seeing such rampant fed hate after a few losses that i almost hope fed kicks everyone's *** from now on (except nadal, cuz he's still my fav). especially djoko, i hope fed never loses to djoko ever again.

Stchamps
04-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Actually You have a pretty good point here. This is basically the most impossible season in which nadal could increase his ranking points. but it IS the most likely season that roger will lose points. it's my very strong opinion that roger's worst surface is clay, and not because he lost to nadal so many times, but I think he will be more vulnerable to other lower ranked players on clay, namely because he can't out "fed" them like he has in years past. he neither has the dominant swagger that he did, nor the crisp movement, both, IMO the keys to his being the dominant no.2 claycourter.

as a side: i hate it when topics like these pretentiously announce predictiosn of federer's time being up, and it being nadal's time etc. etc. look dudes I've wanted nadal to take the no.1 ranking since 05, but I'm SO SICK of seeing such rampant fed hate after a few losses that i almost hope fed kicks everyone's *** from now on (except nadal, cuz he's still my fav). especially djoko, i hope fed never loses to djoko ever again.

I don't think Roger has many points at all to defend on clay, so he could easily gain points this season.

chiru
04-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I don't think Roger has many points at all to defend on clay, so he could easily gain points this season.

well, he made the finals of monte carlo, won hamburg, and the finals at rolland garros. maybe thats just me, but I'm pretty sure thats the second greatest no. of clay court points of anyone on tour. I think you're counting in "wat if he does super well at estoril, and in rome" where he doesn't have many points to defend. well i still think thats a big if because he still needs to defend 1 major final and 1 masters final and a masters win, thats a huge no. of points. but im a little lazy in doing the exact math. could he gain points? absolutely. Do I see him losing more than he gains, IMO probably.

NovakWannabe
04-05-2008, 10:24 AM

Yes my friend, indeed...

DashaandSafin
04-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Do you people even think before you post? Or you post garbage to increase your post count? Roger has HUGE amounts of points to defend on clay, Nadal has even more. Only joker has points to gain so Fed and Nadal MUST BE in tip top condition for the season to come.

Nadal_Freak
04-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Nadal will be the number 1 player after the US Open.

miniRafa386
04-05-2008, 11:45 AM
my prediction (ATP only)

1) Nadal
2) Federer
3) Djoko
4) Roddick
5) Nalbandian
6) Gasquet
7) Blake
8 ) Tsonga

welcome2petrkordaland
04-05-2008, 11:57 AM
at year's end for '08:

1. nadal
2. federer
3. djokovic
4. murray
5. roddick
6. nalbandian
7. tsonga
8. blake

zagor
04-05-2008, 12:12 PM
So you both think that Davydenko will get out of the top 8? Especially with the points he gained in Miami? I can't believe how much the guy is underrated here.

welcome2petrkordaland
04-05-2008, 12:20 PM
zagor, you're totally right. just after i posted that prediction, i realized i had left davy out. i like the guy and think he's underrated for sure, and more talented than his horrible record against top 10 players indicates. still, he needs to improve this record and reach his talent. davydenko in all honestly plays so much that he effectively works the system and distorts the true top 5 top 10 rankings. i respect his willingness to play so much but resent how he screws up the pecking order. i just want him to rise to the occasion more in big matches. as a matter of fact, he should do well on the dirt and possibly get to a final or two. so yeah, he stays in top 10 and prob. top 8.

having said that, yeah, you're right. davydenko stays in the top 10, i'll say at #7, with blake dropping to like 9 or 10.

vndesu
04-05-2008, 12:25 PM

yeah but you still got djoko comming up.
you cant just say nadal is gonna be #1 bc yeah clay is comming but he hasnt won to many tournaments yet.

Lotto
04-05-2008, 12:33 PM
This thread is a joke isn't it? Was it posted on April Fools day because if it was you got me good. Federer will be the No.1 ranked player in the world at the end of 2008. Nuff' said.

After doing the calculations:

Federer - 6700 points
Nadal - 6080(If he wins Miami), 5930(If he loses in final)

So, if Nadal wins it there'll be a 620 point difference and if he loses there'll be a 770 point difference so if you're a fed fan you'll be rooting Davydenko tommorow, well you'll be for him anyway if you're a fed fan.

welcome2petrkordaland
04-05-2008, 12:41 PM
This thread is a joke isn't it? Was it posted on April Fools day because if it was you got me good. Federer will be the No.1 ranked player in the world at the end of 2008. Nuff' said.

Nice buzz, Lotto. and that's the way to support your arguments with evidence.

But don't panic, this is just an off year for Fed. he'll eventually bite the bullet, get a coach, and make a comeback after losing the #1 ranking to either Nadal or Djokovic at the end of this year. He'll still break Sampras' record but he won't be #1 at the time, not to suggest he won't earn the #1 ranking again after temporarily losing it at the end of this year.

sureshs
04-05-2008, 12:45 PM
The fall of the 1-handed backhand has finally happened.

fastdunn
04-05-2008, 05:55 PM
world of tennis revolves around slams. it's too early to call 'the fall of world #1'. if federer loses at early rounds of french open, the fall might happen.

johnny ballgame
04-05-2008, 06:13 PM
no, in fact clay season is the last place nadal could obtain the #1 ranking. most of nadal's points come on clay, so he cant gain any more points since he's won every tournament he plays on clay (minus hamburg, but he got to the final there). if nadal slips up even once, he's due for a world of hurt and it'll give fed a chance to further the gap between him and nadal...

Not entirely true. Nadal CAN (and likely will) gain on Fed during clay season. Remember, Fed has a HUGE pile of points to defend in clay season as well. I don't see Fed reaching Monte Carlo final, winning Hamburg, or reaching Roland Garros final.

johnny ballgame
04-05-2008, 06:14 PM

Eh? Check the '07 results. ;)

superman1
04-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Yes, Fed has his work cut out for him, and Nadal is looking pretty good, so we'll see. If Fed could manage to win the French, he'd be pretty well off for the rest of the year. This might be his last shot. Maybe years from now people will look back at this and say, "everyone wrote him off, and in doing so they took some of the pressure off of him, which was exactly what he needed going into the French Open..."

Rob_C
04-05-2008, 06:37 PM
zagor, you're totally right. just after i posted that prediction, i realized i had left davy out. i like the guy and think he's underrated for sure, and more talented than his horrible record against top 10 players indicates. still, he needs to improve this record and reach his talent. davydenko in all honestly plays so much that he effectively works the system and distorts the true top 5 top 10 rankings. i respect his willingness to play so much but resent how he screws up the pecking order. i just want him to rise to the occasion more in big matches. as a matter of fact, he should do well on the dirt and possibly get to a final or two. so yeah, he stays in top 10 and prob. top 8.

having said that, yeah, you're right. davydenko stays in the top 10, i'll say at #7, with blake dropping to like 9 or 10.

Thats not how the rankings are calculated. The four slams, and 9 AMS tournaments are mandatory, the pts from those are on everyone's record, then you take the 5 best results outside of those, and you end up with the final point tally.

quest01
04-05-2008, 06:38 PM
The Rise and Fall of Roger Federer

fastdunn
04-05-2008, 08:27 PM
roger is actually stronger player on clay than people think.

Mansewerz
04-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Perhaps your forgetting that Federer can play consistently throughout the clay season and doesn't just lose first round matches.

Duzza
04-05-2008, 08:58 PM
No.1 by end of year to be Coria

luckyboy1300
04-05-2008, 09:49 PM
well he has to defend a finals appearance in monte carlo, 3rd round in rome, and a title in hamburg, and a finals appearance in the FO too.

Breaker
04-05-2008, 10:26 PM

This is the truth, for both the men's and women's tours.

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-05-2008, 10:27 PM
federer is doing better this year than nadal and djokovic based on last years results

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-05-2008, 10:27 PM

haha oh yeah

tennis_hand
04-05-2008, 10:47 PM

exactly my sentiment.

wrap a cloth over her face..... then u discover there are so many better women players than her.

Morrissey
04-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Fed has a crazy load of points to defend from here, especially in the last part of the season. He made the final of Monte Carlo, won Hamburg, final of FO, Wimby champ, final of Montreal, Cincy champ, USO champ, final of Madrid, Shanghai champ. If he doesn't pick up his game from here he's definitely not going to finish #1. We'll see if he can, he better, because if he doesn't, bye bye #1.

tennis_hand
04-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Do you people even think before you post? Or you post garbage to increase your post count? Roger has HUGE amounts of points to defend on clay, Nadal has even more. Only joker has points to gain so Fed and Nadal MUST BE in tip top condition for the season to come.

joke does have a lot of points to defend. but then, i doubt he will do well on clay, judging based on his game style.

93sq.
04-06-2008, 12:45 AM
exactly my sentiment.

wrap a cloth over her face..... then u discover there are so many better women players than her.

Oh yeah...like Ivanovic...Vaidisova and all the others "sharapova wannabees!!!!!"...

mrDamien
04-06-2008, 06:38 AM
Nadal will be the number 1 player after the US Open.

Count me in. Nadal is going to win Miami, clean sheet on all clay court, Wimby and yeah probably USO.

mrDamien
04-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Oh yeah...like Ivanovic...Vaidisova and all the others "sharapova wannabees!!!!!"...

Sharapova looks like the main actress in a movie. She had live up the WTA season. The rest like the names of Williams sisters, the Serbs etc etc just a supporting role actress in a movie.

mrDamien
04-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Perhaps your forgetting that Federer can play consistently throughout the clay season and doesn't just lose first round matches.

Perhaps i had forget that Fed is getting old and he can't play consistently throughout the whole season. Yeah he won't lose in the 1st round coz by luck he get a BYE but will be dump out in the 2nd round :twisted:.

daddy
04-06-2008, 06:53 AM
joke does have a lot of points to defend. but then, i doubt he will do well on clay, judging based on his game style.

You mean his baseline play, consistant and powerfull groundies from both sides and his super kick serve and great movement and defensive skills and his favourite drop shot are usable on fast surfaces only ? Get real, he grew up on clay as many other european players.

daddy
04-06-2008, 06:55 AM
federer is doing better this year than nadal and djokovic based on last years results

??? This is a interesting point. Care to tell me what did you take cause Id like a bit of it, seems to work like a charm.

zagor
04-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Count me in. Nadal is going to win Miami, clean sheet on all clay court, Wimby and yeah probably USO.

Miami-I thinks so,he is the favourite although if Kolya plays like he did against Roddick it will be a great match.

Clay season-The way he plays this year on his worst surface,I think there is liitle doubt that he'll dominate clay again.

Wimbledon-possible,he was very close last year but then again there is also a chance he gets knocked out before the final as he had some very close matches there the last few years like the one with Kendrick,Sodderling and Youzhny.He should also hope that Novak is on Federer's side of the draw as he can definitely beat him there(if they meet at Wimbledon I would favour Djokovic).

USO-Now I think that here even the biggest Nadal fans(atleast the sane ones)would disagree with you.Anything can happen in tennis but IMO there is liitle chance of that happening this year.

daddy
04-06-2008, 07:16 AM
USO-Now I think that here even the biggest Nadal fans (atleast the sane ones) would disagree with you.Anything can happen in tennis but IMO there is liitle chance of that happening this year.

Loooved the part/ thanks for a laugh.

zagor
04-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Loooved the part/ thanks for a laugh.

LOL,you're welcome.

mrDamien
04-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Miami-I thinks so,he is the favourite although if Kolya plays like he did against Roddick it will be a great match.

Clay season-The way he plays this year on his worst surface,I think there is liitle doubt that he'll dominate clay again.

Wimbledon-possible,he was very close last year but then again there is also a chance he gets knocked out before the final as he had some very close matches there the last few years like the one with Kendrick,Sodderling and Youzhny.He should also hope that Novak is on Federer's side of the draw as he can definitely beat him there(if they meet at Wimbledon I would favour Djokovic).

USO-Now I think that here even the biggest Nadal fans(atleast the sane ones)would disagree with you.Anything can happen in tennis but IMO there is liitle chance of that happening this year.

Wow so details explanation. Thanks. I forgot to say Hewitt. Do count him in. He such a great and strong character on court. He could demolish and upset every single player on court.

tzinc
04-06-2008, 09:28 AM
At some point Fed will no longer be number 1 and this MIGHT be that year.

NamRanger
04-06-2008, 10:35 AM

If Nadal wins Miami, and does the same on clay, but Federer slumps just a little, Nadal will overtake the #1 spot.

robin7
04-06-2008, 12:13 PM
With Roger's current form, I just have a feeling that he might struggle to win even a GS this year.

Novak is the potential WR1 if he can be more consistent.

Rafael will still be WR2 at the end of this year.

mrDamien
04-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Even Nadal had lost in Miami but based on his current form, he could overtake Fed easily. Djokovic probably by year end could up to No 2 so does Hewitt back to Top 10.

caulcano
04-07-2008, 04:15 AM
With Roger's current form, I just have a feeling that he might struggle to win even a GS this year.

Novak is the potential WR1 if he can be more consistent.

Rafael will still be WR2 at the end of this year.

I agree.

Year-end ranking will either be:

1. Federer
2. Nadal
3. Djokovic

OR

1. Djokovic
2. Nadal
3. Federer

Much is based on whether Federer finds his 'mojo'.

slice bh compliment
04-07-2008, 04:27 AM
3. Federer

Much is based on whether Federer finds his 'mojo'.

Are the people at American Express's ad agency reading this at all?
[groan]

Morrissey
04-07-2008, 04:52 AM
Even Nadal had lost in Miami but based on his current form, he could overtake Fed easily. Djokovic probably by year end could up to No 2 so does Hewitt back to Top 10.

I agree and the most worrying thing for Fed is that he has points to defend all over the place. It's not just the clay season, it's also the grass, hardcourt and indoor season too. If he doesn't pick up his game he's in a world of hurt. He gained points in Indian Wells & Miami which is good for him because he's not going to be gaining alot of points from here on in. For Nadal, he has the clay season and Wimbledon to defend. The entire summer hardcourt swing he's looking good. But he does have final points to defend in Paris. But that's pretty much it. I feel he's playing very good tennis heading into the clay. An ATP leading 22-6 record on the hard stuff is an indication of that.

But it's very interesting to see how competitve and even it is when Fed is no longer dominating the hardcourts, Roddick wins Dubai, Joker wins IW and Davy wins Miami. 2 of the 3 have beaten Fed this year. While all those guys have won the titles Nadal has put himself as the best hardcourt player based on wins & losses. Great stuff. I just can't wait to see the red dirt again. I just love clay tennis and I love playing on the dirt too. :-)

ExPro
04-07-2008, 05:19 AM
I think we've seen the end of RF's dominance in tennis. I'm a former tour player who played from the early 80's to 90's. I was a young player just starting out and we saw the cracks staring to appear in Borg in as early as the 1980 USO, and the cracks started to appear in RF's game last year. I think it was really unrealisitc of fams and media alike to expect him to carry on his reign indefinitey. Last years USO was RF's last slam. I'm not a hater but i've been on the tour and even though we never had a Roger Federer when i was playing, we had Borg, McEnroe, Lendl, Connors, and Vitas and sooner or later, the level of intensity slips just a notch and thats all it really takes. RF losing to Mardy Fish would have been like Mac losing to someome like Sammy Giammalva in '84

slice bh compliment
04-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Yes. Probably the end of his amazing DOMINANCE, and a fade to his aura of invincibility, but not the end of his reign at no. 1 (thanks to the other two)...and definitely not the end of his time as one of the favorites at almost every Slam.

Pete won his last three or four slams as non-number one.

ATXtennisaddict
04-07-2008, 05:45 AM
People who doubt Roger know nothing about the resolve of human spirit/ambition/desire. They only look on the surface, at numbers, at wins/losses. Roger is not a robot, neither are his opponents.

ExPro
04-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Yes. Probably the end of his amazing DOMINANCE, and a fade to his aura of invincibility, but not the end of his reign at no. 1 (thanks to the other two)...and definitely not the end of his time as one of the favorites at almost every Slam.

Pete won his last three or four slams as non-number one.

In the world of pro tennis, it's not the numbers that matter it's the winning of events, the number one ranking is a by prodcut of sustained success. You ask most players what they'd want more, GS events or the Number one ranking and i could bet my house 9 out of ten will say the slams, and i know my house would be safe. Believe me its the winning of the big tournaments thats what its all about.

janipyt05
04-07-2008, 03:20 PM
i find it amazing how when Fed loses a couple of matches his career is finished blah blah blah what a load of rubbish yes it is very strange for him not to win anything as yet but that the nature of the game he can't and won't win everything, i am still not convinced this is a decline as i think it will take a lot mroe to happen. Fed need to stop playing with Sampras who frankly is retired, get a bloody coach and play a little more tennis.

flyer
04-07-2008, 03:25 PM
i find it amazing how when Fed loses a couple of matches his career is finished blah blah blah what a load of rubbish yes it is very strange for him not to win anything as yet but that the nature of the game he can't and won't win everything, i am still not convinced this is a decline as i think it will take a lot mroe to happen. Fed need to stop playing with Sampras who frankly is retired, get a bloody coach and play a little more tennis.

I agree with you that he needs to refocus and find a coach, but if you think hes still as good as he was I'd have to call you a bit either crazy or in denial, his results have certainly declined you can't argue that and I believe his game has too and by a lot, all you have to do to see this is watch a match, even when he wins you don't see the genius and the amazing shots that he hit almost routinely 2 years ago, watch a match and tell me you don't see a difference, its very hard to make a rational, fact based case for him.

BlUe 182 BanAna
04-07-2008, 04:14 PM
federer is great, but he wont be 1# forever..

mrDamien
04-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I agree with you that he needs to refocus and find a coach.

Probably Mirka stop him from finding a coach. His financial controller control everything on and off court.

Prisoner of Birth
10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Fed is falling. Just accept the fact, dude. It's going to happen soon.

He rises, like a Phoenix out of ashes.