PDA

View Full Version : I think i got it, my serve inconsistency

chrisab508
03-23-2004, 03:12 PM
So, i was at practice today after school and i had been playing horribly, then it was 5-3 (us) my serve, i decided to try something different on my serve. Normally i don't really face the net that much, my body is more perpendicular to it, i face the fence (that goes around the courts). So what i tried is, normally on my toss my arm moves out to the left (im right handed) so instead, i tried, with my toss, keeping my arm parallel to my legs, and it worked, i hit so many better serves.

Sry if its confusing, its kind of hard to explain.
The main point is that i think i found why my serve was so inconsistent!

chrisab508
03-23-2004, 03:30 PM
think of it as if my arm were a line and my chest were a line, where they meet with my serve before was more than 90 degrees, now they form pretty much a 90 degree angle during the toss.

ma2t
03-28-2004, 04:26 AM
It seems that regardless of the direction that you face, you should toss the ball with your arm roughly at 90 degrees relatively to your chest. That way, if you toss straight up (no arc) then the toss is "out in front of you" and not too far to the left (if you're right-handed).

One of the best tips I've been given is to keep your tossing arm straight during the toss. Bending at the elbow causes the toss to be more inconsistent.