PDA

View Full Version : Serve vs Groundies with Racquet

vince916
04-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I recently tried to focus on my serves.

I switched to a POG OS 6 months ago. Ground strokes are deeper and better overall. For my serve I have issues with timing and pronation.

I tried out my old LM Radical MP and my serves are a lot better. I can pronate and have very good timing. I thought this was a fluke so I went out again and it was similar experience. From what I remember my ground strokes weren't that deep.

I know the lm is lighter vs my POG.

The question is would you make this tradeoff? I feel I can develop my ground strokes to get better depth with the LM. I play 1-2 times a month maybe none at all since it was over the winter so I havent had that much time with the POG.

TennisProdigy
04-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Is the grip size on radical smaller? You can always add lead to the radical so it feels about the same as the pogos

obnoxious2
04-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Toss the ball higher when using your POG?

vince916
04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Both are the same grip size.

Bagumbawalla
04-06-2008, 11:33 AM
You will tend to find that in the "instruction" section, there is less interest in the racket, itself, than in the technique of actually hitting the ball.

You will find more interest for racket-specific questions in the "racket section", where they love to disect that kind of thing.

Good luck.

NLBwell
04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
LM radical is a much lighter racket, thus your timing will be different on the serve. Also, the heavier POG OS will give you more power on groundstrokes generally than a lighter Radical. Weight and length of string both are factors in the extra power. Where OS rackets generally do not work well is the serve, because the center of the strings and therefore the sweet spot is lower giving you less leverage on the serve.
Things to try might be to:
1) gradually add lead tape to the Radical (on head and under grip to keep a reasonable balance) and see how this affects the power on the groundstrokes and the serve. If you gradually add more and more, you should be able to adjust your timing to it. You should find more power on both.
2) Try a different mid-size racket in the 12oz+ range (maybe a POG mid or K6.1 95) that issimilar to the POG OS in weight, but with a mid-size head. See if you can get your timing straight with that.
3) Keep the POG OS and just work on your serve with it.