PDA

View Full Version : Please criticize my student's Tennis strokes

4zonetennis
04-06-2008, 02:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jgpLOZvYRA

A video of my student. Please give fee back on what you guys think he needs work on.

Leelord337
04-06-2008, 02:58 AM

A video of my student. Please give fee back on what you guys think he needs work on.

I think his forehand is very solid. Form isn't everything though. Its about making good contact with the ball. All pros have differing form from one another. I would recommend to step into the 2 handed backhand more and if he wants to get better on hardcourts to hit through his forehand more instead of just hitting topspin all the time.

04-06-2008, 05:10 AM
first point of concern is his footwork in 2 areas.

He settles for very average contact points, instead of working to improve his relationship to the balls path and bounce and

His recovery footwork is not there. He just watches his shot and wanders bk towards the center slowly.

I thought the strokes looked pretty good overall, at least compared to the footwork.

Ash_Smith
04-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Footwork!!!

Maybe this was a drill designed to work on something else, however the footwork is lazy. No split-step, poor recovery steps, slow up to short ball. As BB has stated in another thread, footwork is another aspect of the game to be taught just like racquet technique.

Racquet technique looks pretty sound, tho' it's hard to tell in detail due to the video quality.

junbug
04-06-2008, 08:47 AM
he needs to simplify and shorten his backswing. track the ball with his racket.

Ash_Smith
04-06-2008, 08:52 AM
why junbug?

junbug
04-06-2008, 09:03 AM
it will allow him a faster recovery time.

Ash_Smith
04-06-2008, 09:23 AM
it will allow him a faster recovery time.

What, shortening his backswing?

junbug
04-06-2008, 09:29 AM
yep have him track the ball with his racquet and get him into an open stance more.

Ash_Smith
04-06-2008, 09:33 AM
how will that help him recover faster. Backswing length isn't directly proportional to recovery speed - at least in my 14 years of teaching tennis it hasn't been.

You track the ball comment would explain your Oscar Wenger question in the other thread!!! :)

junbug
04-06-2008, 09:37 AM
well it worked for my students here.

Ash_Smith
04-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Really, that's great. how did it help them recover faster?

junbug
04-06-2008, 09:40 AM
hey brother you asked for advice. i just gave you what in my opinion worked for my students. really it didn't hurt to ask because i look for ways to improve my instruction all the time. and i've been doing it since 84

Ash_Smith
04-06-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm not having a go Junbug!!! I'm interested to know how you feel shotening the backswing helped you students recover faster. Like you I'm always looking for ways to improve my coaching, so if you have discovered something it would be good to know how/why it works?

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 10:06 AM

Footwork and ball recognition. Other then that it is hard to tell because YouTube does not allow for stepping through frames on the stroke. I do not like to advise on strokes if I cant slow it down, rewind, step-through, etc...

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 10:11 AM
he needs to simplify and shorten his backswing. track the ball with his racket.

What the heck are you talking about. Do you really know? Or are you just chanting your little Masters brainwashing mantra.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt. However, before I do, throw out that garbage tip of "tracking the ball with the racquet" he was doing fine.

The area that I will support you (but barely) is in the forehand backswing. On some of his forehands his "wind-up" was a bit big for what he could handle. However, with the camera angle, it is very difficult to tell if his actual backswing went beyond the "line" that I talk about.

Bring that Wegner stuff out again, I want to hammer it, you got me in a bad mood.

junbug
04-06-2008, 10:38 AM
well sorry for putting you in a bad mood bill. and i don't do debates. sorry for even trying to help a fellow instructor.

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 10:41 AM
well sorry for putting you in a bad mood bill. and i don't do debates. sorry for even trying to help a fellow instructor.

Well, giving your apoligies, I would be a fool to jump down your throat. If you dont want to provide your logic behind your advice that is fine. Helping another fellow instructor is also supporting your advice.

So, we can end this.

albino smurf
04-06-2008, 02:14 PM
His hits looked all right to me until he had to move and then you could see they got erratic. IMO he needs to get lighter on his feet.

4zonetennis
04-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Thank You everyone one for your advices and opinions. I appreciate you guys taking time to analyze my student.

dakels
04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
So hard to tell with such a poor quality video =/ Not blaming you 4zonetennis, I wish youtube put better instructions on how to encode video for higher quality.

Anyways, take my comments with a grain of salt since I find it really hard to analyze off this video. While your student is just loosely rallying and maybe tired, who knows, I'd still like to see a little more spring in his step. Weight forward more overall. When the ball is coming, spring, weight forward, move to the ball quicker and lighter. He is waiting too long on some shots to prepare for the shot. I'd also like to see him step into the ball better with weight coming forward through the shot, not across the shot just relying on turn momentum. Again, it's hard to say because a lot of decent players hit like this when they are just loosely rallying or tired.

22 seconds is a good example of what I mean. He moves in and propels his body forward through the shot. Would like to see more movement to hit the ball in his comfort zone and not hitting mediocre shots because he is not moving.

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Thank You everyone one for your advices and opinions. I appreciate you guys taking time to analyze my student.

And....if we took the time to look, do you agree? Disagree? What do you think?

Or is the video really you? ;)

Katlion
04-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Footwork Footwork Footwork.

4zonetennis
04-06-2008, 09:11 PM
And....if we took the time to look, do you agree? Disagree? What do you think?

Or is the video really you? ;)
Well first of all I do agree with the footwork. Agassi use to work 4 hours a day on getting into position to hit a good shot. In order to be a great ball striker one must work on his footwork. Another thing I see though in this video is his head. He have to keep his down and still looking at the point of contact a bit longer. By following the ball right after the shot, the shoulders opens up too early as well as resulting in a miss hit. Looking at Federer is an perfect example of a player keeping his head down and still, tracking the ball to his point of contact. Judging by the sound of the ball hitting off the other player's racket, he needs to have an earlier preparation. The back swing do not trouble me as long as he can speed up his preparation.

JCo872
04-06-2008, 09:20 PM

Forehand looks pretty good, but that wrist is killing the shot.

First the good. Good loop and great upper body rotation.

Now the bad: The wrist positioning is not good. He starts with it laid back which is good. Then it comes forward too soon, when the racket is still behind his body. This gets the racket head out of sync with his the body. This prevents him from drive his body weight and his hitting structure (the shoulder, arm, and hand) into and through the shot because of the unstable wrist.

You can see how he comes across his body way too fast instead of transferring his weight through and up and then over, which is caused largely by the unstable wrist.

Shouldn't be too hard to fix, but if you don't stablize his wrist, he will never be able to drive the ball properly with his body.

Hooooon
04-06-2008, 09:28 PM
he looks well coached, but way out of shape. i don't think the kid is physically capable of the changes everyone is suggesting. he needs to play more and work harder while he's out there.

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Well first of all I do agree with the footwork. Agassi use to work 4 hours a day on getting into position to hit a good shot. In order to be a great ball striker one must work on his footwork. Another thing I see though in this video is his head. He have to keep his down and still looking at the point of contact a bit longer. By following the ball right after the shot, the shoulders opens up too early as well as resulting in a miss hit. Looking at Federer is an perfect example of a player keeping his head down and still, tracking the ball to his point of contact. Judging by the sound of the ball hitting off the other player's racket, he needs to have an earlier preparation. The back swing do not trouble me as long as he can speed up his preparation.

Very good analysis. The head staying in the contact zone longer was an excellent finding.