PDA

View Full Version : How to curve a groundstroke?

Djokovicfan4life
04-06-2008, 07:49 AM
I've seen Nadal do this quite often and I found a nice clip of Roddick doing it on a forehand, the question is, how are they doing that? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U87c9vq_1JE&feature=related

tennisplayer1981
04-06-2008, 07:51 AM
EXTREME topspin. For me, I just let the wind carry the ball. :D

tudwell
04-06-2008, 09:11 AM
It's not topspin, it's sidespin. In this case, it probably occurred because Roddick hit the ball on the run; he was moving to the right as he made contact and consequently imparted some side spin (quite a lot, actually).

Northpaw
04-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Left handed people tend to be able to get an crapton of spin on all of their shots, resulting in nearly all of their shots being curved. At least, this has been my experience playing against left handers. For us right handed people, the only times I've curved a ball was when I was just thinking "okay, this ball is GOING to curve in" and then it does. It's just like, a feeling you get, but yes, it definitely involves spin.

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I've seen Nadal do this quite often and I found a nice clip of Roddick doing it on a forehand, the question is, how are they doing that? :confused:

Why? Do you have all other parts of your game mastered? Are the fundamentals so well engrained that you are bored?

Moz
04-06-2008, 10:16 AM
If I want to curve a shot I hit topspin but address the side of the ball more than I would with a normal topspin stroke.

spiritdragon
04-06-2008, 10:40 AM
u have to put a lot of side topspin to make it curve like that.

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 10:43 AM
u have to put a lot of side topspin to make it curve like that.

I aim for the top half, outside of the ball. Let a low to high stroke with the emphasis of hitting this spot on the ball help it provide the spin needed to curve in. That is how it is done.

dakels
04-06-2008, 11:39 AM
If you notice, Roddick does a running reverse forehand in that clip.

Striking the right side of the ball in a 7 to 1 o'clock angle wrist flick made the ball go 7 to 1 at first then 1 to 7 when it came back down into the court. that type of curve/spin is a common result in this running situation, jumping into the ball with a wristy reverse forehand.

I'd have to agree with BB's point about learning it. In my experience, by the time your strokes are strong enough to learn/hit such a shot, you can generally develop the shot on your own.

Bagumbawalla
04-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Hit the ball the way you would normally hit a topspin drive (or an inside-out topspin drive) but instead of driving through the ball from low to high (as would be normal) you pull the racket face somewhat toward yourself while driving through the ball, adding some slice to the topspin- something like a kick serve tilted on its side.

Normally, you would want to use such a shot only a) when you have time to set up properly, and b) the opponent is so quick you really, really need that extra little bit of distance. Otherwise it is an extra complication/embellishment-- just something else that can go wrong.

Tsonga, I recall, hit this shot quite often to Djokovic's (who is very quick) backhand-- sometimes it worked, sometimes it just curved right outside the line.

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 11:46 AM
but instead of driving through the ball from low to high (as would be normal) you pull the racket face somewhat toward yourself while driving through the ball.

Pull the racquet toward yourself? Wouldnt that create the opposite spin you are trying to create? I certainly dont try to hit the outside of the ball and try to pull the racquet toward me. In fact, in a very light way, the racquet feels like it is being pushed out a bit.

Normally, you would want to use such a shot only a) when you have time to set up properly, and b) the opponent is so quick you really, really need that extra little bit of distance. Otherwise it is an extra complication/embellishment-- just something else that can go wrong.

This doesnt make sense at all. This shot is normally used when you are on the run and have to hit a ball take it out wide going off the court or when you want to return a wide serve to your forehand and want to curve it back into the court near the sideline.

Bagumbawalla
04-06-2008, 07:27 PM
DF4Life,

Yes, discount my answer.

I wrote that while using a computer that would not access the filmclip and went by the description alone.

And though the answer is right, it is right, only for a totally different question.

So I will be ready, now, in case it ever comes up.

BB, of course it doesn't make sense!

Bungalo Bill
04-06-2008, 07:31 PM
DF4Life,

Yes, discount my answer.

I wrote that while using a computer that would not access the filmclip and went by the description alone.

And though the answer is right, it is right, only for a totally different question.

So I will be ready, now, in case it ever comes up.

BB, of course it doesn't make sense!

Thanks Bagumbawalla, I kind of thought you might of answered it thinking of the other way where you pull the racquet for a different effect. I wasnt sure if you read the post correctly or were missing information.

All is good. Thanks for the reply and clarification.

Nellie
04-06-2008, 07:47 PM
I find that sidespin (on a top spin shot) is somewhat a gift that results from the form the is used on the stroke. In particular, if you tend to catch the ball further in front, you will tend to impart some sidespin due to your natural arm path. You will notice, for example, if you are a righty in the ad court, that it will be much likelier to hit side spin when hitting an inside-out, down the line shot, than a crosscourt, inside-out shot.

where you catch the ball in your arm path is partially determined by your grip.

doublefault2008
04-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Left handed people tend to be able to get an crapton of spin on all of their shots, resulting in nearly all of their shots being curved. At least, this has been my experience playing against left handers. For us right handed people, the only times I've curved a ball was when I was just thinking "okay, this ball is GOING to curve in" and then it does. It's just like, a feeling you get, but yes, it definitely involves spin.

I didn't know that a left hand can produce more spin than right hand. Are you kidding?

FedererISBetter
04-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I didn't know that a left hand can produce more spin than right hand. Are you kidding?

lol, who knows : ) It just involve the opposite side spin put on it... so instead of ball curving away from you in crosscourt, it curves to you. Its not hard to notice the away as it is with the toward because you actually have to watch your footwork more.

seb85
04-07-2008, 01:18 AM

No it doesn't. Its just that all shots curve to a certain degree, but since we play right handers all the time we don't notice it then.

To OP, like the others have said, side spin usually comes on its own and the ability to hit extreme shots like that are down to experimentation when you have the skills required.

Sentinel
04-07-2008, 03:06 AM
THis is very much like a table tennis topspin shot !

Additionally, when we hit a backhand slice with sidespin, we get a similar curve. However, in the clip the same motion is done with a fh, and the ball being to the right gets an upward spin (topspin) too.

So the rack travels away from the body, and upwards when it contacts the ball. I'll give this a try tomorrow!

Rickson
04-07-2008, 03:15 AM

Just give a little angle when hitting your forehand. Instead of hitting the ball directly dtl, give it a slight touch to the left so that the ball is angling into the court.

Sentinel
04-07-2008, 03:21 AM
^^^ Do you mean left to right (and upwards) ? That's what I see in the clip.

Rickson
04-07-2008, 03:35 AM
^^^ Do you mean left to right (and upwards) ? That's what I see in the clip.

Yeah, a little topspin/sidespin combo should do the trick.

Bagumbawalla
04-07-2008, 05:03 PM
OK, I was able to check out the clip, and I don't know if my way is the standard way of hitting the shot, but here is what I do-- and it is really very simple.

If you stand upright with your arm/hand down to the side and then raise your arm slowly so it is horozintal to the court, you will notice that you hand has, in effect moved away from your body (in an arc-like path) by about two feet.

The same idea applies to the stroke. So, you simply start the swing with your hand (and therefore the racket) close to the body and swing up, out and forward in that natural arcing motion.

It is fairly easy to contol the shot by imparting various degrees of spin, forward momentum, topspin.

The shot is easier to hit when the ball is fairly low, below the hips, for example.

Do I think this is a really effective shot that everyone should have in their bag of tricks. In my opinion, not espececially, but itis so simple, why not?

Again, BB thanks for catching my mistake.

Rickson
04-07-2008, 05:24 PM
It looked kind of like a kick serve that goes into the deuce box with that right to left motion.

Bungalo Bill
04-07-2008, 05:52 PM
OK, I was able to check out the clip, and I don't know if my way is the standard way of hitting the shot, but here is what I do-- and it is really very simple.

If you stand upright with your arm/hand down to the side and then raise your arm slowly so it is horozintal to the court, you will notice that you hand has, in effect moved away from your body (in an arc-like path) by about two feet.

The same idea applies to the stroke. So, you simply start the swing with your hand (and therefore the racket) close to the body and swing up, out and forward in that natural arcing motion.

It is fairly easy to contol the shot by imparting various degrees of spin, forward momentum, topspin.

The shot is easier to hit when the ball is fairly low, below the hips, for example.

Do I think this is a really effective shot that everyone should have in their bag of tricks. In my opinion, not espececially, but itis so simple, why not?

Again, BB thanks for catching my mistake.

Not a problem. I think your example makes sense. I think you kind of described a reverse forehand in a way? So if I did your example correctly all that is left is where one strikes the ball similar to getting different spins by striking the ball in different places for the serve? Is that correct?

Bagumbawalla
04-07-2008, 06:20 PM
BB,

You know me too well.