PDA

View Full Version : How far could one get switching hands with your racquet instead of a true backhand?

tennisoh
04-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Could someone be successful by switching hands? What I mean is using a typical right-handed forehand and a typical left-handed forehand. I know no one would teach this technique, but I really don't see someone couldn't be successful doing this if they are strong with both hands. I would actually think someone who is a switch-hitter in baseball could pull this off.

tennisdude083
04-06-2008, 12:33 PM
at the professional level it might be hard to switch hands and adjust your grip in the small amount of time you have from when the other dude hits the ball and when you have to hit it. especially when volleying.

rtyd1
04-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Only if your Echizen Ryoma

Babb
04-06-2008, 12:39 PM
^^^
Lol (10)

Tennis_Monk
04-06-2008, 01:30 PM
It is a matter of time before we see someone go high up in ranks with hitting Forehands from both sides....may seem far fatched now..but it isnt.

rtyd1
04-06-2008, 01:46 PM
It wont happen because of the reasons tennisdude083 mentioned above

Djokovicfan4life
04-06-2008, 01:48 PM
I think it would be hard to grip your racquet properly for the lefty forehand (assuming you're a righty). Say you're in the ready position, your right hand is on the bottom of the racquet while your left hand is choked up almost all the way.

daddy
04-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I have a friend who instinctivly does switch hands when his bh side is under serious attack and he seems to do it only when he has no time to move and set up a stroke. Usually he manages to send the ball back but its a sitter. I dont know if someone can pull this of on pro level but I doubt it because if it is possible someone would already do it.

Djokovicfan4life
04-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Then again if you were allowed two racquets it might be a different story.

TennisProdigy
04-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Would it be considered one racquet if you connected two racquets with say a piece of string? :)

spiritdragon
04-06-2008, 03:00 PM
like tennisdude said, in higher levels u wont have enough time to keep switching

rtyd1
04-06-2008, 03:52 PM

i've tried using two rackets at once but it really messes up my takeback

racquet_jedi
04-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Would it be considered one racquet if you connected two racquets with say a piece of string? :)

Haha!!!

:lol::lol:

i8myshirt
04-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Racket-chucks?

chiru
04-06-2008, 04:28 PM
here's my rule of thumb for deciding whether an unorthodox tennis shot is worth doing or not:

Q: Is Santoro using it?
A: No, this clearly means its not worth using, as santoro has probably at one point or another tried every legal method in the book.

daddy
04-13-2008, 11:08 AM
As silly as this idea sounds, I am just watching the Amelia island final and sharapova swiched like 3 times to reach a ball, she used a lefty forehand to get the ball back and suceeded two times.

fer
04-13-2008, 01:34 PM

Or a racquet with two grips.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMKRwu4vPUU

tacou
04-13-2008, 01:53 PM
As silly as this idea sounds, I am just watching the Amelia island final and sharapova swiched like 3 times to reach a ball, she used a lefty forehand to get the ball back and suceeded two times.

I've seen Maria do it a few times as well.

bcast66
04-13-2008, 05:30 PM
I have a friend who instinctivly does switch hands when his bh side is under serious attack and he seems to do it only when he has no time to move and set up a stroke. Usually he manages to send the ball back but its a sitter. I dont know if someone can pull this of on pro level but I doubt it because if it is possible someone would already do it.

maria sharapova does that all the time its so ******** lol.

kabob
04-13-2008, 06:11 PM
James Blake does the lefty forehand as a defensive shot when he doesn't have time to hit his backhand. It's usually just a weak floater so I doubt it's a good idea to try this unless you truly are ambidextrous or just playing beginners.

Forehand Forever
04-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I've used my lefty forehand at least once a match this year for high school tennis. It's won me a lot of points when I'm in situations that I probably wouldn't be able to get out of with just using my backhand. I've done volleys, lobs and on the run shots with it.

daddy
04-13-2008, 06:17 PM
I've used my lefty forehand at least once a match this year for high school tennis. It's won me a lot of points when I'm in situations that I probably wouldn't be able to get out of with just using my backhand. I've done volleys, lobs and on the run shots with it.

Thats why your nick is forehand forever ? You are allowd to hit backhands you know ..

diggler
04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
You don't have enough time on return of serve but there is enough time for groundstrokes.