PDA

View Full Version : Does Davydenko have the best footwork in tennis right now?

christo
04-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Watching him play this week, the guy moves unfreaking believable. So fast AND on balance.
I would love to see him take this title with his ONE racquet. Maybe this will enable him to move on from the betting crap. Talk about playing under pressure.

crazyups
04-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Nikolai should reach #3 soon if he keeps up this level

tenis
04-06-2008, 12:28 PM
IMO, he HAS the best footwork at this time!!!!

vasquez90
04-06-2008, 12:30 PM
does anyone know what shoes he was wearing in the finals against nadal? really like the looks but cant tell - were they Nike?

Katlion
04-06-2008, 12:51 PM
No.

10 char

stormholloway
04-06-2008, 12:55 PM
No.

10 char

Maybe instead of writing "10 char" you can spend that energy typing the name or names or players who have better footwork.

Davydenko definitely has the best footwork right now. Nadal has great footwork and just got spanked.

daddy
04-06-2008, 12:59 PM
No.

10 char

Understood sir. Thank you for the contribution to the subject which will be remembered on the forum for a long time.

Davy has probably the best footwork right now having in mind that Roger lost his due to weight and illness. In his best days Rog is pretty much up there.

Babb
04-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I have no opinion on the subject, but find it ironic that threads like this pop up after he wins one tournament... :???:

daddy
04-06-2008, 01:16 PM
I have no opinion on the subject, but find it ironic that threads like this pop up after he wins one tournament... :???:

But seriously he is probably the fastest man in tennis right now, and of course he is such a great mover, he needs to be providinghis place - 4th in the world as he is such a short and light guy. If you think about this, few people move around so well that they can be considered to have the best footwork.

Bogie
04-06-2008, 01:16 PM

the guy is #4 in the world, been incredibly consistent in his results for the past several years, and just won miami masters which is arguably the biggest tournament in tennis following the slams beating roddick and nadal with 1 racquet. i find it strange that this few threads have popped up regarding him.

Shaolin
04-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Davy's footwork is amazing and inspiring. It probably is the world's best.

PROTENNIS63
04-06-2008, 02:58 PM
My opinion is that he has excellent footwork. But footwork and speed are two different things. I wouldn't say he is the fastest.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-06-2008, 03:01 PM
You what I find funny about this entire thread?

That this guy has been around for such a long time now and instead of taking time to see him play, they have took time to bash him in all ways possible. As for his footwork, it's amongst the best in the game though.

Marius_Hancu
04-06-2008, 03:39 PM
He's best in terms of the execution of the small steps.

In terms of all-court movement technique, Fed is is superior, but lost some of the intensity lately.

I hope they meet in the Estoril final:-)

scotus
04-06-2008, 03:46 PM
What about Djokovic and Ferrer?

hewittfan3
04-06-2008, 03:48 PM
His footwork has been one of the best in years. Im glad people are finally noticing him a little bit. He is a great player and hew moves so smoothly

superman1
04-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm not abandoning Federer yet. Maybe at this very exact moment, Davydenko has the best footwork, but Federer just needs a bit of time to get back into the game.

Jonny S&V
04-06-2008, 04:23 PM

I love how you didn't even look at the time the thread appeared. It was posted during the final (the beginning, I might add...).

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I agree that Davydenko has one of the best, if not the best footwork in the tour. This is probably part of the reason why he is generally referred as such a clean ball striker.

However, footwork and footspeed are not synonymous. I am pretty sure that Nadal is even faster...

callitout
04-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Top 5 just on footwork
Nadal
Federer
Djokovic
Ferrer
Davydenko

Most underrated footwork 1.Santoro 2.Murray

stormholloway
04-06-2008, 06:07 PM
The quality of his shots prove the excellence of his footwork. All of his groundstrokes appear to be hit as if the ball had been fed to him. He seems to deal with flat balls, slices, and heavy topspin all with the same result off of his racquet. It's a testament to his feet.

vbranis
04-06-2008, 06:27 PM
does anyone know what shoes he was wearing in the finals against nadal? really like the looks but cant tell - were they Nike?

According to the ATP website, he is wearing Asics Gel Resolution.

ndtennis
04-06-2008, 06:30 PM
nadal & federer move around the best. although devydenko is really good and just agreat pure hitter. underated

my_forehand
04-06-2008, 06:31 PM
No. Andy Roddick does.

superman1
04-06-2008, 06:33 PM
If that's a joke, it's not a good one, since Roddick's footwork is very good for a big fella. His footwork actually makes him look smaller than he actually is, and he's said to be closer to 6'3" and around 200 lbs.

daddy
04-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Top 5 just on footwork
Nadal
Federer
Djokovic
Ferrer
Davydenko

Most underrated footwork 1.Santoro 2.Murray

Murray is a good pick here. He is one of the best in th department.

heathenrider
04-06-2008, 09:42 PM
his performance at ericsson was magnificent. the first thing i noticed was his footwork

my_forehand
04-06-2008, 11:08 PM
If that's a joke, it's not a good one, since Roddick's footwork is very good for a big fella. His footwork actually makes him look smaller than he actually is, and he's said to be closer to 6'3" and around 200 lbs.

...I'm a Roddick fan, although I'm not obsessed with him.

But, having watched part of the Roddick-Davydenko match live in the second set did you see how Davydenko absolutely dominated Roddick to say the least?
Roddick didn't even bother getting some of the balls Davydenko hit, and I heard the commentators saying something about how Davydenko won 30+ baseline points to Roddick 10.

If the point was more then 3 rallies, guess who won the point?

A lot of the times Roddick does that, he doesn't even bother going for the ball.

6'3? Federer and Nadal are 6'1. Rafa is about 7 lbs lighter, and he has great footwork. Federer, okay, I understand is about 18 lbs lighter; but...his footwork shouldn't still be 18 times better.

crawl4
04-06-2008, 11:12 PM
But seriously he is probably the fastest man in tennis right now, and of course he is such a great mover, he needs to be providinghis place - 4th in the world as he is such a short and light guy. If you think about this, few people move around so well that they can be considered to have the best footwork.

fastest? no wayy
but he has good footwork

Lotto
04-06-2008, 11:53 PM
the guy is #4 in the world, been incredibly consistent in his results for the past several years, and just won miami masters which is arguably the biggest tournament in tennis following the slams beating roddick and nadal with 1 racquet. i find it strange that this few threads have popped up regarding him.

1 Racquet? Whats that about?

Davydenko is so so quick. He gets to a lot of balls you think he wouldn't. He is the best mover on tour right now.
Federer was but not only did Federer lose it because of weight and illness but because I think his concentration has faltered since getting ill and thus his anticipation isn't as good as it used to be. When he loses the weight, is fully recovered, and gets refocused and concentrates again he will be back.

my_forehand
04-06-2008, 11:54 PM
1 Racquet? Whats that about?

Apparently he never changed racquet.

origmarm
04-07-2008, 12:20 AM
He has very good footwork right before contact and in the small steps preceding contact. He's still very good across the court but there are better, notably Fed, Nadal, possibly Djokovic and Murray.

The thing I like about him is he is similar to Fed, he seems very smooth and almost to float accross the court.

superman1
04-07-2008, 02:52 AM
...I'm a Roddick fan, although I'm not obsessed with him.

But, having watched part of the Roddick-Davydenko match live in the second set did you see how Davydenko absolutely dominated Roddick to say the least?
Roddick didn't even bother getting some of the balls Davydenko hit, and I heard the commentators saying something about how Davydenko won 30+ baseline points to Roddick 10.

If the point was more then 3 rallies, guess who won the point?

A lot of the times Roddick does that, he doesn't even bother going for the ball.

6'3? Federer and Nadal are 6'1. Rafa is about 7 lbs lighter, and he has great footwork. Federer, okay, I understand is about 18 lbs lighter; but...his footwork shouldn't still be 18 times better.

If you put them all out on a track, I don't think Roddick would be that far behind. And footwork mainly refers to those really small steps that players take to prepare for each shot. I've seen Roddick live a few times and he takes a LOT of little steps to get into position. His feet are always moving and squeaking.

When he doesn't even move for balls, that's probably because of either poor anticipation, or because he gave the guy one of his sitting duck spinny shots and it got pounced on.

tenniscore
04-07-2008, 11:14 AM
According to the ATP website, he is wearing Asics Gel Resolution.

FOund out they are new Prince O Series shoes called OV1's but not on the Prince site yet...must be coming soon I would think.

fantom
04-07-2008, 11:41 AM

They zoomed in on them during the Roddick match, and I saw that they were Pince shoes. Maybe a design that will be announcing in the future.

fantom
04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
I was impressed by his lateral movement. What I really took notice to was how quickly he moved forward on short balls to take time away from his opponent.