PDA

View Full Version : does anyone like the tour 95??

dander
03-23-2004, 05:10 PM
i'm a ps 6.0 85 playerin the process of trying other things. i'm trying to improve my game and attack more, and i don't have the skill to make this racket work well at the net for me (i'm not a very instinctive volleyer and all)
i've been playing all winter with a 300g, which is so light that the lead required to stabilize it has begun to rip my shoulder from the hinge

i'm thinking of trying the tour 95, but almost everything i've heard is so negative. that it's too light, uneven sweetspot, unstable and so on.

i'd like to hear from people who liked the tour 95, especially those who came from the st vincents or 6.0 ps. please share your opinions that you may have on the tour 95 or comparisons with similar rackets

thanks so much!!

Pinnacle
04-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Certain type of sticks work for certain type of people.

This one works for me. I guess I am a 3.0 player.
The recommended player of this stick is 4.0 above,
I tried 200G and it's tight string bed kills me,
becuase I tend to spin the ball, when I switched to 200G the
balls are normally netted when I try to brush it top spin. So I demoed PS tour 95, and it works well, not stable then 200G if you do not hit the sweat spot, but
if you setup early and hit properly, the stick gives everything a 3.0 to 4.0 player need.
Decent power, good control, crisp BH (me 1HBH).
The PS 6.0 85 is a demanding stick, and seems similar as Tour 90,
the Tour 95 I guess is derived from Tour 90 and made for mid
to advanced players (though recommanded for 4.0 and above players,
but majority of 4.0 above players will prefer PS 6.0 85 or Tour 90 or ...,
This stick is not heavy enough for a pro player 11.5/326g strung).

And you better demo it, otherwise ...

pchoi04
04-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Umm... I dont play with a Prostaff Original 85 but I do play with a POG MP (93). I didnt really like the tour 95 for all the reasons you stated. If you play with the 85 why not try the 95 which is a bit lighter and has a larger head. Or have you considered a ncode n61 95?

AndrewD
04-21-2005, 03:19 PM
dander,

I think it might be the weight and flexibility that put some players off the Tour 95. Personally I think its quite fine, nothing out of the ordinary but just a good average racquet. Truthfully, I think most who had the choice would have gone from the ps 6.0 85 to the ps 6.0 95 or into the nCodes, although none of them play at all like or have a similar feel to the 85.

However, as you're a Wilson player you might find it interesting to look at this comparitive review of the ps 6.0 85 & 95 with the nCode Tour 90 and nSix-One 95.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/TRIPB04.html

Whichever one you choose, dont let the benefits it might have at the net or on approach shots take anything away from the current strengths of your game.

Dopke
04-23-2005, 03:02 PM
I found the 95 easier to swing than the 90. I didn't think there was anything irregular about it, pretty good pop off the ground and good spin.

mackadilly
04-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Yes I love this racquet. But i have to admit that I gave up on it a couple of times. But after finding my optimal setup (string/balance/weight) i'm done demoing.

Like a previous poster mentioned, the Tour 95 is racquet that requires good technique (3.5- 4.0+)- It will not hide any shortcomings in your game. The enigma begins when those at this level or above desires a racquet with similiar characteristics of the classics {high weight/low flex}(6.0, 6.1 etc) vs. the [medium weight/ low flex] of the Tour 95.

However, if you game is growing or coming from a beginner or intermediate level (i.e. lighter/power raquets), I think the Tour 95 is is a great choice for entry into the Players realm.

I would suggest demoing the ncodes as well. I hit with the ncode 6.1 and loved the control but did not like that dull thud feel when you smack it. On the other had the Tour 95 may feel "tinney" in comparison, but I personally like that kind of feedback.

My experience is that this racquet needs a premium synthetic or gut, poly sucks in this racquet.