PDA

View Full Version : USTA League Tennis - Off Season

SunDog
01-06-2005, 07:05 AM
In TN, the adult local league season is played March-May. District Championships are in June, Southern Sectionals in July. Mixed doubles local play is usually in July/Aug. Then Combo season is Aug/Sep. Then there is nothing for a team to do until the following March.

In searching Tennis Link - it appears if some locals play a fall or winter team season. If you do, please provide me with info on the format your city uses and how the participation compares to the main season.

fantom
01-06-2005, 10:20 AM
In my area, we have the GMVTA (Greater Miami Valley Tennis Association). Local clubs in the area play each other in the USTA league format. The league starts in mid September finals are at the end of January.

reynolds10s
01-06-2005, 04:04 PM
In Southern NH we have two seaons - one that is day tennis that plays every other week from October through April, and then in the summer, an evening league, that plays once a week for a 10 week season. What I think it takes more than anything is someone to get the ball rolling and coordinate with clubs and players to see if there is an interest in an additional season. The Evening League was a new league that started about 3 years ago and it has grown almost as large as the day league since then. The day league has some flexibility with playing every other week during the fall season. It allows for some working women to take some flex time without being missing every week and it allows for the clubs to accommodate the leagues by stagger the levels - 3.0, 4.0, play one week and 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 play on the alternate week.
I may be able to refer you to the champion of the evening league and she may be able to send you some notes on how she went about it. I know she did a presentation at the New England Volunteer's meeting a year ago, so she may still have that presentation to send you.

SunDog
01-07-2005, 04:09 AM
Thank you - Please do.

tennis-n-sc
01-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey Sundog, how about them Vols!! Here in SC, as with most states in the Southern Section, our seasons run about like yours. Our Combo doesn't finish until early November after starting in mid-September. The summers are mixed doubles. They all finish to facilitate the state and sectional playoffs. We keep the team together by setting up a night or two to compete against each other and change partners each time. Usually by the time Thanksgiving comes around, everyone is looking for a bit of a break but chomping at the bit by mid January. Our spring season can start as early as late February and go until late May, depending on the number of teams. If you are ever over this way, look us up.

SunDog
01-07-2005, 11:30 AM
SC,

I am a Ohio transplant in TN - so I have yet to purchase a really ugly orange shirt.

Our team also stays together throughout the year and practices at least twice a week among ourselves - but we are probably the only 3.5 and 4.0 team that does in Knoxville. That is probably why we have been to the State Championship 9 out of the last 12 years (last seven in a row) in the 3.5 Division. I joined the team 3 years ago as a new 3.0 and I now play in both the 3.5 and 4.0 leagues. We did not fare too well in 4.0 last year as it was our first year and the team was mostly 3.5s with (3) 4.0s. I think we finished 5th or 6th out of 9 teams. Playing amongst ourselves keeps us sharp in one sense - but IMO dulls us to the key aspects of dealing with unfamiliar opponents. We all know each other so well that we tend to anticipate each other's movements and shots. Makes for some interesting rallies.

The weird thing about Knoxville men's tennis is that there is a decent participation for the spring league (usually about 10 adult 3.5 teams) - but there is pitifully little participation in mixed and men's combo. Last year we had (2) 6.5 teams, (3) 7.5 teams and (1) 8.5 team. That is a lot of folks not playing from June through February. I don't get it. It seems that there is only interest in the spring format.

Anyhoo - it looks like the Southern Sectionals will be in Charleston this year - so we are gunning for that - big time. We missed going to Columbia last year by one court. If we ever get to another Sectionals - I will be sure to check in with you.

tennis-n-sc
01-09-2005, 05:56 AM
SunDog, I grew up in Tennessee just outside Knoxville, so I have a closet full of ugly orange attire. They match my blood. Ha. I agree with you and fail myself to understand the drop off in interest in tennis after the spring league play in Knoxville. I do know there are a lot of tournaments in the area during the summer and fall and it is sometimes difficult to play league and tournaments without conflict. The Knoxvile area is such a rabid sports town that I would have thought tennis interest would have remained high throughout the year. I am surprised that Southern Sectionals will be in Charleston. They are not as well equipped to handle such an event as Columbia but it is one heck of a fun town. Good luck getting there.

pagepa
01-09-2005, 06:51 AM
Sundog, I was born in Knoxville, and I have no ugly orange clothes either. I now live in Richmond, VA. Our spring adult weekend league runs from early April to the end of June. We have an adult day league (women's only) that runs from May to the end of June. Those 2 leagues advance to the same district tournament in July. We have Seniors and Super Seniors (mens, womens and mixed) that run from July to the end of August or early September. We have a winter mixed doubles league that starts in early January and runs through the end of March. This is an indoor only league. The Mid-Atlantic section does not have any combo doubles at this point, but we are starting the first combo doubles league here in Richmond this summer. It will run concurrently with the Seniors League. We are hoping the combo doubles league will be very popular, because there was a long gap from July to January where there was no league tennis except Seniors. As a result, the under 50 crowd had no league play.

BTW, all of the above leagues are USTA. Richmond also has 2 Non-USTA leagues that I am aware of. There is a suburban ladies league that plays during the daytime in the spring and fall. There is also a Richmond Racquet League for men that plays on Saturdays during the spring, and maybe the fall also. I'm not sure about that.

reynolds10s
01-09-2005, 11:50 AM
I've emailed Barb to see if she can send me her presentation. Another thing that we do in our area is WTT tennis. That is great fun! Here's a website on that:
http://www.wtt.com/recleague/play.asp

SunDog
01-09-2005, 02:46 PM
WTT sounds pretty cool. I think K-ville had it - b4 my day.

Dont get me wrong - there is plenty of competition available throughout the year with tourneys and ladders and such. There is just no team thing when it is cold.

amarone
01-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Here in Atlanta there are two USTA seasons a year. Only nine days into the year, we are already more than half way through our second season of the 2005 year! We have:

- June - August: men's/women's season 1
- Oct - Nov: mixed and combo doubles
- Nov - Feb: men's/women's season 2
- April - May: mixed and combo doubles

Then we have ALTA:

- Jan - Feb: mixed
- Mar - April: men's/women's
- June - July: mixed
- Sep - Oct: men's/women's.

tennis-n-sc
01-10-2005, 03:29 AM
Amarone-you all are lucky in Atlanta. My son and daughter-n-law play in the Roswell area. I believe USTA takes second seat to ALTA there by quite a margin,

SunDog
01-10-2005, 07:54 AM
How can Atlanta be so out of sync with the rest of the Southern Section - schedule wise? Combo is April-May - then the Combo Sectionals are like the third week in the following January. That seems like an awful long break btw the local comp and the sectioinal resolution. Is the rest of GA on the same schedule?

tennis-n-sc
01-10-2005, 11:49 AM
SunDog, Georgia is a little perrculiar in the way they do their seasons and I am not sure why but they do manage to get it all complete in time for state and sectional tournaments. They also issue new ratings in May or June instead of November. We played a team from Atlanta in Sectionals in late June and the entire team had already been bumped up to the next level. Maybe Amarone can shed some light on it. I have often wondered.

cak
01-11-2005, 08:55 AM
How do you all get your seasons finished in two months? I'm captaining a Mixed team and our first game was mid September, our last is Mid Feb, and then there are local playoffs, Districts-May, Sectionals-June. (14 matches local regular season matches, room for holidays and rain delays...) Our adult seaon is end of March til end of June, Districts end of July, Sectionals end of August. Combo season is Aug-Nov, Sectionals Feb. So if you are on teams that make playoffs your seasons overlap, and Mixed and combo are on top of each other. Senior regular league overlaps Mixed pretty much right on (September to Feb.) Senior Mixed is June through September. Super Senior 65s (65 and older) run April through September. Super Senior 60 and older run mid Summer through the fall. These are all USTA.

Oh, and the ladies interclub (non-USTA day play) runs September through May.

All these are in Northern California, where tennis is played outdoors, year round.

reynolds10s
01-11-2005, 09:05 AM
I think with any of this league stuff, it needs the coordinator to get it started and it's alot of work! You have to find out if you have an interest, find out what your court availability, establish what your season will be - when you'll play, how many weeks, what will constitue a match, etc., etc.,

USTA in your area may have someone availabe to help you through the ropes if you think you have the interest. It is great to be able to keep competitive that way.

The WTT is another fun way for competition. I love it!

SunDog
01-11-2005, 01:15 PM
our local mixed and combo seasons a never last more than 3 weekends. obviously there are multiple matches per weekend for most teams. it is kind of a tournament atmosphere.

tennis-n-sc
01-12-2005, 03:26 AM
Some states mixed doubles leagues do not send teams to the state, sectional and national tournaments. Two years ago, the states in the Southern Section that wanted to participate in the formal playoff systems changed the Mixed Doubles flight ratings from a combo style to an even style, ie, 7.5 to 7.0, to confrom with national playoffs. Our season runs from early June to late August and the number of matches depends on the number of teams but usually averages 8-10. If there are only a few teams in the flight, the teams play each other twice. All the USTA leagues are very big in SC, partly because there is not much to compete against them (ALTA). The Combo leagues are the fastest growing and the newest.