PDA

View Full Version : A positive view of the current state.

edmondsm
04-06-2008, 08:00 PM
1. Roger Federer: Even though he's fallen from the untouchable tier that he stood on, things really are still pretty good for Roger Federer. He spent the last 2 masters events gobbling up points and thus he could even have a pretty bad run at the clay court masters but still end up with a #1 seed at the FO.

2. Rafeal Nadal: The best player in the world right now IMO. He's been the most consistent player all year and we aren't even on his best surface yet. He could be absolutely scary during the clay court season, I predict many many bagels. If things stay the way they are now I would say Nadal might be the favorite going into the French AND Wimbledon....

3. Novak Djokovic: He still looks like a young, immature player sometimes but he's safely at #3 for now. He's been given some time to shift to the clay and there are plenty of points out there for him before RG.

4. Nikolai Davydenko: Biggest win of his life. I think alot of people will be rooting for this guy after this.

5. Everybody else: Hey man life is good, especially when you're a pro tennis player.:)

charaseac
04-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Federer: Meh but he can't stay there forever, he'll lost the throne if he keeps playing like this especially with nadal trailing...

Nadal.. Consistent but not the best IMO

Djokovic: He's doing really good this season, still needs time to reach the top though.

Davydenko: Someone buy him rackets, strings, and clothing lol...

ollinger
04-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Everybody else: if you're not in the top 50, you're barely making a living.

charaseac
04-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Everybody else: if you're not in the top 50, you're barely making a living.

Harsh.. but so true. Its not even necessarily for the top 50. I read from tennis magazine, that Ivo Karlovic is living in a small apartment. He's making just decent living from tennis but not that much. And if i remember correctly he is in top 50 lol...

crawl4
04-07-2008, 01:04 AM
agree, federer still no.1 for a while :)

Rhino
04-07-2008, 02:37 AM
2. Rafeal Nadal: The best player in the world right now IMO.

he's now gone 9 months without a title. I know what you mean about his consistency but winning titles is a big part of being the best.

yourmom08
04-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Harsh.. but so true. Its not even necessarily for the top 50. I read from tennis magazine, that Ivo Karlovic is living in a small apartment. He's making just decent living from tennis but not that much. And if i remember correctly he is in top 50 lol...

ivo still gets up every day and goes to the courts instead of a cubicle, sounds better than my future prospects lol

Stchamps
04-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Nah Ivo makes a lot of money.

zagor
04-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Everyone has a right to their opinion but for me as a big Federer fan there is nothing positive here until he starts winning titles again.On the other hand I guess for fans of other players or for those who are neutral this is a great start of the year.

PROTENNIS63
04-07-2008, 09:00 AM
The most consistent player is Djokovic besides his lost in Miami.

chiru
04-07-2008, 10:45 AM
ivo still gets up every day and goes to the courts instead of a cubicle, sounds better than my future prospects lol

true, but you may still have a job 10 years from now. karlovic probably won't. and he'll have to learn something new, some new skill in a very short amount of time if he wants to make it. remember, alot of these tennis players are singularly focused since youth, and don't really do much else and so when they retire, there's really not a whole lot they can do (no college degree, often no high school diploma, etc.)

jamauss
04-07-2008, 10:53 AM
true, but you may still have a job 10 years from now. karlovic probably won't. and he'll have to learn something new, some new skill in a very short amount of time if he wants to make it. remember, alot of these tennis players are singularly focused since youth, and don't really do much else and so when they retire, there's really not a whole lot they can do (no college degree, often no high school diploma, etc.)
I don't tend to feel too sorry for former tennis pro's. If they manage their earnings well, they should be able to retire pretty young - not to mention how many of them end up with jobs in commentating, coaching, teaching, etc. I know Karlovic isn't a household name but he's got to be making fairly good $$ if he's in the top 30 or so.

Vision84
04-07-2008, 11:00 AM

At the slams yes and his game translates well to all surfaces. Don't forget he did pretty poorly by his standards at the end of last year. I'd like to see him a little more consistent first.

edmondsm
04-07-2008, 11:01 AM
he's now gone 9 months without a title. I know what you mean about his consistency but winning titles is a big part of being the best.

Agreed. But we haven't been on his best surface for 9 months either.

edmondsm
04-07-2008, 11:03 AM

Early loss in Marseille as well. And he hasn't played as many tourneys as Nadal.

edmondsm
04-07-2008, 11:10 AM

I would like to know what these players' expenses are like. Ivo has already made 170 thousand bucks this year. Doesn't sound like "barely making a living to me". Even if you figured $70,000 in travel expenses etc...you'd still be looking at 100 grand. And it's only April.

Gerry
04-07-2008, 11:26 AM
I would like to know what these players' expenses are like. Ivo has already made 170 thousand bucks this year. Doesn't sound like "barely making a living to me". Even if you figured $70,000 in travel expenses etc...you'd still be looking at 100 grand. And it's only April.

Whoa! I wish i can "barely make living" someday in my life... 170 grand? and that's only tournys earnings? C'mon, that's a lot of money!

G.

TheTruth
04-07-2008, 12:51 PM
1. Roger Federer: Even though he's fallen from the untouchable tier that he stood on, things really are still pretty good for Roger Federer. He spent the last 2 masters events gobbling up points and thus he could even have a pretty bad run at the clay court masters but still end up with a #1 seed at the FO.

2. Rafeal Nadal: The best player in the world right now IMO. He's been the most consistent player all year and we aren't even on his best surface yet. He could be absolutely scary during the clay court season, I predict many many bagels. If things stay the way they are now I would say Nadal might be the favorite going into the French AND Wimbledon....

3. Novak Djokovic: He still looks like a young, immature player sometimes but he's safely at #3 for now. He's been given some time to shift to the clay and there are plenty of points out there for him before RG.

4. Nikolai Davydenko: Biggest win of his life. I think alot of people will be rooting for this guy after this.

5. Everybody else: Hey man life is good, especially when you're a pro tennis player.:)

Good post! I guess Davydenko finally earned his respect this tournament. I've always been a fan. It was good to see him breakthrough. So small and slight, but efficient!

PROTENNIS63
04-07-2008, 01:07 PM
At the slams yes and his game translates well to all surfaces. Don't forget he did pretty poorly by his standards at the end of last year. I'd like to see him a little more consistent first.

The OP was talking about "right now".

IvanYentl
04-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Harsh.. but so true. Its not even necessarily for the top 50. I read from tennis magazine, that Ivo Karlovic is living in a small apartment. He's making just decent living from tennis but not that much.

sure, but he's known all over the world ;-)

thalivest
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Federer- sucks these days. His performance is an embarassment.

Nadal- you are right. Very impressive.

Djokovic- also coming on strong.

Davydenko- back on track with big win at Nasdaq.

Roddick- will probably stay at #5 or #6.

the rest- who cares.

Cup8489
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM

the rest- who cares.

just in general, why do people say that federer's performance is terrible? he has done well in all the tournaments except dubai, i mean come on, for everyone here he has to win to not suck.

he played really good early matches in all the tournaments...give him a break. he's a frickin human being.

again, this is in general.

BlUe 182 BanAna
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM

the rest- who cares.

well said, but being a bit harsh on federer.