PDA

View Full Version : [video] me serves

gunbuster
04-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Okay my turn I guess. Sorry the angle isn't terribly good and the obstruction doesn't help either. We were running low on tape so I was in a hurry to get in a few serves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYI1A39ktP0

(BTW, how do people get the higher camera angles? I was trying to attach my camera to the fence but there was no way I could get to stay there in a sturdy manner).

gunbuster
04-06-2008, 11:19 PM
BTW, the serves:
First 3 are first serves (1 into net, 2 were good)
4th and 5th were 2nd serves, both in
6th was same as 4th (copied the wrong clip)

From ad side, 1 first serve and then 2 second serves. One of them shanked pretty badly in the video.

gunbuster
04-07-2008, 11:25 AM
No comments/critique ?? As some background, I started picking up tennis again since I moved to San Diego after a 10-year hiatus. I tried a tourney last year self-rated as a 3.5. Lost first round 0-6, 6-3, 4-6. I've been working on improving my game since then. My serve is probably one of better parts of my game, despite being a shorty. I'll try to get some groundstroke videos...

TennisProdigy
04-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Not a bad serve at all.

H. Ju
04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Nice serve. You have a pretty quick serve motion which reminds me someone in my club. One thing I see is that the follow-through motion is not complete. Your raquet doesn't come up to your left hip area when you finish your serve.

madmanfool
04-07-2008, 11:55 AM
nice serve
only thing that worries me a bit is the toss, because it comes from the side. Just answer this: Do you often trow too much to your left?

lot's of forward momentum, but i think you can still add some more upward momentum into your serve. But that's just my 2cents

gunbuster
04-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes, it sometimes does end up too far to my left and I either have to re-toss... or sometimes I'll chase after it, which sometimes results in the shanks. I usually don't get my 2nd serve toss out quite so far, but I tend to follow it in a lot when playing doubles. At least at the 3.5 level, the spin gives people problems and I get sitters for volleys. Problem is my volleys are pretty lousy.

nice serve
only thing that worries me a bit is the toss, because it comes from the side. Just answer this: Do you often trow too much to your left?

lot's of forward momentum, but i think you can still add some more upward momentum into your serve. But that's just my 2cents

smoothtennis
04-07-2008, 01:33 PM
yep, nice serve - I noticed you may be dropping your head prematurely as you strike the ball--see the racket hit the ball. I could be wrong, it's a quick motion - just something I thought I noticed.

gunbuster
04-07-2008, 01:41 PM
That could be the case too -- maybe nerves in front of a camera :). We were running out of tape and my friend was in the frame most of the time. I'll try to get a better video so that it's clearer. From the position the camera is at, you can't see very much detail.

yep, nice serve - I noticed you may be dropping your head prematurely as you strike the ball--see the racket hit the ball. I could be wrong, it's a quick motion - just something I thought I noticed.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
04-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Good serves. Does your opponent ever say that you get good action/spin on your serves? Because just from the toss to the left, seems like you are going for a kick serve...

zapvor
04-07-2008, 10:53 PM
better than my

gunbuster
04-07-2008, 10:55 PM
I usually get pretty good motion on my twist/kick serve. If I could volley better, I'm sure it would pay better dividends. Problem is I try to follow it in, and I usually muff the volley into the net.

Good serves. Does your opponent ever say that you get good action/spin on your serves? Because just from the toss to the left, seems like you are going for a kick serve...

martin8768
04-11-2008, 08:51 PM
I usually get pretty good motion on my twist/kick serve. If I could volley better, I'm sure it would pay better dividends. Problem is I try to follow it in, and I usually muff the volley into the net.

try and stop and quick step(split step) before, reduce sending volleys into the net. you don't have to be super close to the net to take a S and V just watch out for angles and quick step at the net.