PDA

View Full Version : what does nadal have to do to be no 1 now?

tingaling
04-07-2008, 12:19 AM
is it possible for him to gain no 1 before the french? perhaps if fed loses early in one or 2 o the ms? and nadal equals what he did last year and the year before and the year before?

can anyine tell me, im not very good with numbers

Rhino
04-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Nadal can't really gain any points during the clay season, except an extra 150 by winning Hamburg, so he has to continue to win all his usual clay titles as normal.
After that it's out of his hands and more about what Federer and Djokovic do.
Federer can gain points in Estoril (win worth 200 points) and Rome (he could gain 425 if he won it) and Monte Carlo (150), but if he went out in his first matchs in Monte Carlo, Rome, and Hamburg, he'd lose over 900 points which would be enough to lose his #1 ranking.

PROTENNIS63
04-07-2008, 04:57 PM
win every single match for the next few months. He will become number 1 for sure.

flyer
04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
It depends a whole lot on what Federer does, he could either make it really easy or really hard, Federer has 2625 pts to defend through the grass season, thats a lot, if Nadal just defends his like he did last season and Federer has even just one slip up, like say an early exit from the French, Nadal could take over number one, it is that close and the tennis is being played on clay, which is Nadals best surface and Roger's worst, and grass, Rogers best and Nadals second best but the grass season is like 1/3 as much in terms of possible points, so it certainly very possible, don't forget about Djokovic though I think despite his lose so far this year he has been by far the top player just look at the ATP Race...

roysid
04-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Now the difference is about 700 points. So in clay season ranking switch will be most unlikely. Fed will gain points in Estoril and Rome.

However, in Toronto, Cincinati and US Open, Nadal can improve his performance and get #1 ranking, regardless of what Federer does.
(assuming Nadal retains his clay season points and Wimbledon points).

flyer
04-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Now the difference is about 700 points. So in clay season ranking switch will be most unlikely. Fed will gain points in Estoril and Rome.

However, in Toronto, Cincinati and US Open, Nadal can improve his performance and get #1 ranking, regardless of what Federer does.
(assuming Nadal retains his clay season points and Wimbledon points).

Federer could also lose points in Monte Carlo, Hamburg, and the FO, and then Wimbledon...a lot of points...

tingaling
04-08-2008, 12:39 AM
man, why do they have to make it so compliacted!!

Ocean Drive
04-09-2008, 09:08 AM
It's not, it is actually very simple.

Raoul_Duke
04-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Just put some poison in Rog's food.

Or pay him a prostitute ...

edmondsm
04-09-2008, 09:14 AM
He needs to win everything and he needs Federer to fall apart. It's not all that unlikely. If Djokovic can continue to beat both of them on the clay then it will make for some nice drama at the top of the rankings.

futuretoptenner
04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
He needs to win everything and he needs Federer to fall apart. It's not all that unlikely. If Djokovic can continue to beat both of them on the clay then it will make for some nice drama at the top of the rankings.

Ok, it's fair to assume Roger's not playing his BEST TENNIS, but it is almost ridiculous to assume he's going to be falling apart anytime soon.

Nadal_Freak
04-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Roger's got a lot of points to defend as well. Everyone just assumes he will repeat what he did last year. We'll see about that.

fastdunn
04-09-2008, 10:19 AM
win french open and win one of US open or wimby

Serpententacle
04-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Just put some poison in Rog's food.

Or pay him a prostitute ...

That's funny as hell... nice avatar, by the way!

ninman
04-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Pray for a miracle. Seriously almost half of his total points are on clay, anything less than stunning once again and he's losing big points. It's bound to happen, sooner or later, just like Federer has started losing more, Nadal will start losing more on clay. I honestly cannot see him repeating his clay court performances year after year.

Federer is having his first major slump in 4 years, which could probably be explained by having glandular fever, which can take months to get over completely. That and just the fact that he can't keep up winning 3/4 slams year after year as well as winning 10 titles a year. He lost a total of 24 times from 2004-2007, most players in the top ten lose that much in a single year alone.

However I see Federer making a big push this clay season to try and win at least Monte Carlo and Rome and have a big effort for the French as well as Wimbledon. He might dip again after Wimbledon if he runs out of energy, but he should finish the year as number 1 again.

Kare
04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I think Nadal have to hit flat shot more than he does today. I'm thinking of year 2004 or maybe 2005 that Nadal won 11 titles. He hit a lot of flat shots to execute the point which really help him to end the point quicker than his present matches. The faster you end the point the safer your body is. Sometimes, I really don't understand why Nadal doesn't execute a mid-court ball and low speed ball to end the point. Another thing is he have to adapt his footwork for hard court. I don't think it's a good idea to use clay court footwork on hard court.
He always run with full feet on the court. His knees and joints are being damaged every matches. His injuries might block him from being the world no.1

I'm sorry if my English isn't good because it's not my first language. ^^