PDA

View Full Version : My swing

tennisprince
04-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Hi this is my tennis swing and i would really apreciate some advice. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaL50dkA6A4

TennisProdigy
04-07-2008, 06:49 AM
It would be much more helpful to see you rallying with that grip.

1. Looks like you're using an eastern grip, are you comfortable and happy with that grip, have you considered switching to a semi western?

2. You choking up rather high on the racquet IMO compared to what I do at least. If you're not having problems though I see no reason to change.

3. I hope you warmed up before swinging your racquet like that through the air, you could pull a muscle :shock:.

4. Good knee bend from those practice strokes, but if you're that horizontal with your open stance, do you find it hard to transfer your weight forward?

fuzz nation
04-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Hard to do much for you without seeing you hit a ball - can't analyze any footwork or timing. If you could post another video clip of you hitting at the courts, I'll bet we could give you some real input.

The swing that you're taking in this video looks way over the top... figuratively speaking. Your backswing is gi-normous and pretty high, too. If you hit a ball with those cuts, you'd have an excellent chance of finding the back fence instead of the court since there's not much low to high in the swingpath. I just watched some new instructors working out yesterday on their strokes. One of them had a purely evil modern forehand and you could plainly see the power he derived from his legs and his balance was just excellent!

I got to watch the #1 twelve year old in the world, too a few years back. He was smaller than you are now and his legs were his engines. You need to engage yours more for a sustainable stroke - you've got a whole lot of arm and shoulder in these fh's. I can see what you're after with the loading on your right leg, but you'll eventually be able to use your lower half more in your kinetic chain and let your natural rotation take some of the workload off your arm. With good timing, you won't have to try and whip it through the ball.

Djokovicfan4life
04-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Your swing has no low to high motion which will result in little to no margin for error when you get in an actual rally.

Bungalo Bill
04-07-2008, 08:28 AM

Ahhhh, no.

You do need help.

A tennis swing does not resemble someone swatting bugs. For a second, I thought some bugs were flying around bothering you as you were getting ready to take your real swings. Then the video stopped. Ooops.

Let's just focus on two things. These two things will help you get in control of your swing.

Locate the recent thread that shows the steps I use to teach how to hit a forehand.

They are:

1. String bed facing the ear
2. Pat-the-dog on the head
3. Square Contact
4. Extended followthrough.

This is very controlled and practiced over and over again and the brain fills in the blanks in the motion.

Based on this, the two things that need immediate attention before the wind velocity in your area increases due to your forehand swings are:

1. Your backswing: The racquet head should not go past an imaginary line running from the net to your toes and to the back fence. So stand perpendicular to the net. You are on the baseline. Now imagine a line coming from the net, touching both your toes, and then running to the back fence. When you take your racquet back, the head of the racquet should not go past the line going to the back fence.

If you look at your racquet head it is way over toward your left shoulder.

Look at James. His racquet does not go behind him. It stays on the right side of his body and he hits the heck out of the ball. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaUH9Bevnew&feature=related

To hit with power, a keen sense on how to use your body, balance, making clean contact, and timing all need to come together for controlled power. This power supports consistency, placement, and depth. It does not take the place of them.

2. Relax my boy, take a chill pill: Swing low to high and extend. Do not try to go from swatting flies to Nadal. You are not Nadal, at least not yet. So take it easy. Learn the swing slowly and work your way up to stardom.

4zonetennis
04-07-2008, 11:40 AM
IMO, your swinging the racquet way too fast. The key to hitting a hard shot is for your body to be coordinated. Starters like to try to hit with a lot of racquet speed, because they think they can hit the ball harder this way. In reality by swinging too fast your not effectively transferring energy from your legs through your body into the shot. Slow the racquet speed down.

smoothtennis
04-07-2008, 12:00 PM
I really want to 'second' Bill's post. You DO NOT want to get in the habit of taking that racket back over that imaginary line. I started that way, and it is extremely difficult to fix after you groove it.

What BB is suggesting to you is fundamentally correct - you have to focus on these things no matter how boring it may seem. You will look plenty exposive once you get your basic swing, timing and body working together. You just can't rush or force this stuff. I wish we could.

tennisprince
04-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks A lot,
So how high should my backswing be.
Another question is what would the best way for me to get power from my legs.
P.S. I use a semiwestern usually

Bungalo Bill
04-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks A lot,
So how high should my backswing be.
Another question is what would the best way for me to get power from my legs.
P.S. I use a semiwestern usually

Wow, I am not getting any challenges anymore. Everyone seems so agreeable. I am not sure what to do now. Surely, one of my words invoked some fire down inside?

Or are you simply the type of kid that can take criticism and discipline yourself to be the best through it?

Normally, I get some sort of complaint. This is very strange. :?

Mark Rainey
04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Bill knows all!

quicken
04-07-2008, 05:48 PM
You might want to relax up a bit, you are trying to arm the ball.

tennisprince
04-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Actually u made me crack up really hard. Especially the wind speed one. Though it did tick me off a little bit. Still it was my fav post so far

baek57
04-07-2008, 10:37 PM
i cant help but get the feeling every ball is going to go into the fence with that swing.

aimr75
04-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Based on this, the two things that need immediate attention before the wind velocity in your area increases due to your forehand swings are:

1. Your backswing: The racquet head should not go past an imaginary line running from the net to your toes and to the back fence. So stand perpendicular to the net. You are on the baseline. Now imagine a line coming from the net, touching both your toes, and then running to the back fence. When you take your racquet back, the head of the racquet should not go past the line going to the back fence.

BB, how important is this point? i think i actually extend past this "line". What would be the issues associated with this ?
________
Magic Flight (http://mflbvaporizer.com)

smoothtennis
04-08-2008, 06:11 AM
BB, how important is this point? i think i actually extend past this "line". What would be the issues associated with this ?

Since I used to do this badly, I'll offer one thing here. Timing, timing, timing. The further you have to move that racket, the more timing you have to use to hit the ball. It works at 3.5, but starts crashing past 4.0.

Bungalo Bill
04-08-2008, 06:11 AM

If you go a little over the line, I probably wont mind depending on how consistent your forehand is and if it can last with this consistency the whole match. The line example is a guideline. Be careful imitating players with huge backswings thinking that this is the way to go. Pro players also have developed bad habits or just can't or won't correct something they have never been told is a potential weakness in their swings. Many pros keep the racquet on the same side of the body for control.

The issues with this is that as you get better and play better people who hit the ball with heavier topspin and pace, you will increase your risk of not being able to control the racquet head which would results in mishits, shanks, etc. and you would have a higher chance in being late on many balls.

Also, as the match progresses, and as you get more tired, you will have less control of the racquet. Having a sufficient, efficient, and effective backswing is very important to remain consistent and effective in winning the match.

Further, you will risk overrotating as well which could lead to other problems.

Having a controlled backswing that allows the brain to keep in toouch with the racquet face in relation to the ball and the contact point over and over again is extremely important.

Players with large backswings usually do not know how to use their body for power. Remember power is subordinate and supports consistency, placement, and depth.

tennisprince
04-08-2008, 06:17 AM
Do you just bend your legs to get more power from your body?

Bungalo Bill
04-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Do you just bend your legs to get more power from your body?

Bending at the knees can contribute to power but it is your controlled uncoiling (rotation) that supplies the energy into the ball. Bending your knees allows your hips to work better which in turn feeds energy into the torso and so on.

It also helps with topspin if you lift as you are swinging forward into the ball. However, it isn't the sole source or the main source of topspin. It helps with fluid movement and recovery.

A.Davidson
04-08-2008, 06:37 AM
You seem to be choked up pretty high on the racket.

Try swinging more "low to high" - that's a basic rule for forehands, especially if you use an Eastern grip. That should help with topspin.

Also, your footwork seems like you may be more concerned with looking good than setting up the lower half of your body to put power into the shot.

04-08-2008, 07:22 AM
LOL sorry but i couldnt stop laughing at this vid. No offense its just really funny

user92626
04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Bill and Others,

In your own words, if you swing "low to high" and "square contact" is that going to send the ball into the air, physics-wise?

Looking at Federer and James' FH I noticed that their racket face is slightly closed toward the ground at contact, but this is extremely little I don't know how one would consciously control that.

Bungalo Bill
04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Bill and Others,

In your own words, if you swing "low to high" and "square contact" is that going to send the ball into the air, physics-wise?

Well it will send the ball upward. However, it will also put topspin on it. The spin effect along with gravity will cause the ball to go downward sooner which is why topspin is so effective.

Looking at Federer and James' FH I noticed that their racket face is slightly closed toward the ground at contact, but this is extremely little I don't know how one would consciously control that.

Yes, this is fine. However, it is important to learn to control the racquet face and leveling the racquet. Then you can make finer adjustments. However, when I hit the ball, I am not thinking how much or less of an angle I am trying to make. I simply want to meet the ball square. If the racquet is on a slight angle, that is okay.

A.Davidson
04-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Bill and Others,

Whee, I'm "others"!

Just kidding - for most juniors, going "low to high" is more effective for topspin than the Federer Approach, simply because they are smaller (OP didn't look particularly huge for his age) and need to generate topspin through simple racket positioning rather than a hard swing.

Rickson
04-08-2008, 05:29 PM

You should go out to a tennis court one day. That stroke won't get you very far, but you need to hit real balls and it'll make a difference in your form.

FEDEX1
04-08-2008, 05:48 PM
ya doesnt look so hot

tennisprince
04-08-2008, 05:56 PM
I think i might have overdone it a bit because i went and hit and my backswing doesnt usually go that far. Ill get a video of me actually rallying

A.Davidson
04-08-2008, 06:09 PM
^^^

That'd probably be a lot more helpful - for us and for you, by extension.

Bungalo Bill
04-08-2008, 06:41 PM
I think i might have overdone it a bit because i went and hit and my backswing doesnt usually go that far. Ill get a video of me actually rallying

You know what I like about you? You are extremely teachable. There are several players here that posted their video, and I rated them lower then they wanted or I said they had slow footwork and they got all worked up because I said they sucked and needed to work on things.

Not you. You took my post and used it to make you better. You are still having a few more critical posts coming in and you are still humble and teachable.

Right on man. That is fantasitc and with your kind of attitude even if you never become pro at tennis you will be great at something. Never lose that attitude you have. I am sure your parents had a lot to do with that.

Post those videos and I will help you out. Keep it coming and some of the coaches here and myself will help you out.

I love kids like you. I work with kids like you. Bring it and we will help you.

aimr75
04-08-2008, 11:45 PM
If you go a little over the line, I probably wont mind depending on how consistent your forehand is and if it can last with this consistency the whole match. The line example is a guideline. Be careful imitating players with huge backswings thinking that this is the way to go. Pro players also have developed bad habits or just can't or won't correct something they have never been told is a potential weakness in their swings. Many pros keep the racquet on the same side of the body for control.

The issues with this is that as you get better and play better people who hit the ball with heavier topspin and pace, you will increase your risk of not being able to control the racquet head which would results in mishits, shanks, etc. and you would have a higher chance in being late on many balls.

Also, as the match progresses, and as you get more tired, you will have less control of the racquet. Having a sufficient, efficient, and effective backswing is very important to remain consistent and effective in winning the match.

Further, you will risk overrotating as well which could lead to other problems.

Having a controlled backswing that allows the brain to keep in toouch with the racquet face in relation to the ball and the contact point over and over again is extremely important.

Players with large backswings usually do not know how to use their body for power. Remember power is subordinate and supports consistency, placement, and depth.

thanks, i was completely oblivious to this prior to reading that post.. cheers, will work on this
________
IOLITE VAPORIZER (http://iolitevaporizer.net/)

uspta mp
04-09-2008, 01:00 AM
keep your swing compact. butt cap pointed towards the ball or the net. you want to start low and swing high brushing the back of the ball upward. follow through with the racket going over the opposite shoulder and the butt cap pointing toward the net. if you want to practice shadow forehands, practice it against a fence in a controlled manner and look where the racket face hits the fence. but do it slowly, you just want to get an idea. keep your swing simple and let the power of your racket do the work.
hope this helps.

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 06:46 AM
thanks you've helped me realize i need to do a lot more high to low (because when i go long it usually hits the net)

Vision84
04-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Don't you mean low to high?

Also a tennis swing is controlled aggression. Yours is just fast without control. Work on the fundamentals and when you get those sound and hit the ball well on a consistent basis then you can start practicing swinging harder. Also the backswing should be slow and then as your racket comes forward you accelerate rather than fast all the way through. Your swing should be like a circle. I can see you are attempting a modern forehand with the loading on the right leg. Your position after your backswing looks not to bad apart from the racket passing the plane of your body as already mentioned. From here you need to drop your racket in an arc and forward all in one motion which you don't currently do. make sure you don't stop as well. You currently rush your backswing, stop then rush forward. Watch Hewitt to get a sense of the things I said.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YQxsL6qs2r0

mordecai
04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/forehand/open_chain.php

This link has done amazing things for many of my friends who ask me for advice on their forehand stroke. It's a simplistic rhythm that a lot of people find easy to remember, and using it will help you put more body movement in while relaxing and using your arm less.

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I made a new thread with me hitting rallies but heres the link http://youtube.com/watch?v=qsLTpEUyF1M

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 05:27 PM
I made a new thread with me hitting rallies but heres the link http://youtube.com/watch?v=qsLTpEUyF1M

Okay, the backswing issue still exists. Also, the throw the racquet over the shoulder and show the butt cap to the ball leads to short strokes and poor habits if you do not train properly.

A player should do the above AFTER they have mastered hitting through the ball and extending. Extend through the ball and catch the racquet with your other hand. Bring the racquet back to the read position immediately.

Look at Blake keeping his racquet on the same side of the body. Notice he uses his weight transfer for power and his swing compliments his weight transfer.

Watch his shoulders carefully and you will see the racquet go back with his shoulders and come forward with his shoulders. His weight transfer and rotation is providing the power and his arm is not the main attraction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaUH9Bevnew&NR=1

Compare this to your shoulder turn and swing.

tennisprince
04-09-2008, 05:30 PM
So are you saying i should or shouldnt show the butt cap and bring it over my shoulder

Bungalo Bill
04-09-2008, 05:39 PM
So are you saying i should or shouldnt show the butt cap and bring it over my shoulder

Just bring the racquet over and catch it. Forget the butt cap thing for now. Your swing is too big and exaggerating it further just makes it harder to get in control of it.

You need to go back to the fundamentals of having a swing that can be duplicated and engrained for the rest of your tennis life. What is wrong with the "racquet-over-the-shoulder" is it skips critical areas of practice and tends to leave the forehand a bit fragmented. Some parts good and some parts not so good.

Get some Agassi photos and learn what "catch the racquet" means. Or maybe someone here can help you.

For the next three years, your middle name is FUNDAMENTALS. Extending through the ball and allowing your arm to relax in the followthrough is fundamental. Also, catching the racquet will alos help control overrotation because it acts as a barrier.