PDA

View Full Version : Why is TTC randomly showing Houston from 2005?

jamesblakefan#1
04-07-2008, 06:39 AM
This weekend, instead of Miami doubles, what's on the Tennis Channel? Houston tourney from 2005. The only matches I saw that were on were Agassi vs. Grosjean QF. OK, a chance to see a legend, always nice. But last night, they show Roddick vs. Grosjean Final. I can see if it was a close match. But Roddick won 6-2, 6-2. WTF, TTC???

jaap deboeck
04-07-2008, 06:50 AM
TTC is suffering from low ad revenues and paltry viewership and just cannot afford to air actual current matches much of the time. It is a pity and a sad result of the decline in US tennis interest. You will get TTC feeds of the Euro ATP clay season from masters series TV.

Buchhalter
04-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Do you know for a fact that they are suffering from low ad revenues, or just speculating? Could it be that these are matches people will watch as they are old, and that bald dude is retired? Could it be that they don't have the rights to broadcast the finals of Miami (CBS?). Could it be that Davis Cup is this week and there isn't anything going on? (They may even show that in tape delay.)

Not saying you are wrong, just posing a few other options.

Buchhalter
04-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Recall, they added ATP Miami coverage late. If they are having revenue issues, wouldn't a late addition qualify as a "splurge of cash flow"?

Ronaldo
04-07-2008, 07:56 AM
TTC is suffering from low ad revenues and paltry viewership and just cannot afford to air actual current matches much of the time. It is a pity and a sad result of the decline in US tennis interest. You will get TTC feeds of the Euro ATP clay season from masters series TV.

Seems odd sice TTC finally is on the Dish Network with more viewers than ever.

Moose Malloy
04-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Why is TTC randomly showing Houston from 2005?

TTC covers the Hoston event, which starts next week. Guess they are trying to put viewers in the mood.

They also cover davis cup(which is on friday), which explains why they are showing quite a few dc matches lately.

Do you know for a fact that they are suffering from low ad revenues, or just speculating?

when a channel shows virtually nothing but infomercials, you can be sure they have very little ad revenue. I doubt the 'learn to use the computer' guy is shelling out much to get airtime on TTC. You don't see 1-800 type ads during the NCAA's or CSI.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-07-2008, 09:12 AM
It's a trend with Tennis Channel, when they have a few events coming up, they show prior matches to maybe catch viewers up.

Just like they are showing some classic Davis Cup matches leading up the Davis Cup ties this weekend.

fantom
04-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with TTC. When they actually provide tournament coverage (like clay tourneys in the spring) I can't get enough of it. When they schedule tournament coverage in the channel guide but show reruns of "Murphy's guide to rainbows", I get irate. I do watch their classic matches on occasion, but hate their shows (Destination Tennis, Murphy's Guide, and Center Court....No Strings is OK sometimes). Nothing's perfect, I guess.

jamauss
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I'd much rather watch these old Davis Cup or CCC matches than another episode of Destination Tennis/Murphy's Murph, Center Court, etc.)

The big problem I have with TTC is that they have the potential to be a great tennis broadcaster but their CONTENT consistently falls short.

Murphy's Guide - the idea is OK but dude - they have been showing nothing but re-runs for several months. There's only so many times I care to watch the same episode.

Destination Tennis - same thing. It's interesting at first but several months of re-runs now has me memorizing the dialogue. :(

Center Court - Uggh... Chris Meyers seems like a nice guy but he seems to get really nervous with his questioning sometimes. And would it be too much to ask that they only interview people that speak at least "fairly good" English? The episode with Safin left me only understanding about 2 sentences he said.

No Strings - good idea but the only episodes I've ever seen aired are the ones with Hewitt/Haas/Spadea. And frankly, I don't give a rip about the personal lives of any of those 3. No Strings should follow around maybe...hmm...TOP players? Nadal? Federer? Roddick? Djokovic? Even maybe retired pro's? Sampras/Agassi/Courier/McEnroe?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
04-07-2008, 10:17 AM
I'd much rather watch these old Davis Cup or CCC matches than another episode of Destination Tennis/Murphy's Murph, Center Court, etc.)

The big problem I have with TTC is that they have the potential to be a great tennis broadcaster but their CONTENT consistently falls short.

Murphy's Guide - the idea is OK but dude - they have been showing nothing but re-runs for several months. There's only so many times I care to watch the same episode.

Destination Tennis - same thing. It's interesting at first but several months of re-runs now has me memorizing the dialogue. :(

Center Court - Uggh... Chris Meyers seems like a nice guy but he seems to get really nervous with his questioning sometimes. And would it be too much to ask that they only interview people that speak at least "fairly good" English? The episode with Safin left me only understanding about 2 sentences he said.

No Strings - good idea but the only episodes I've ever seen aired are the ones with Hewitt/Haas/Spadea. And frankly, I don't give a rip about the personal lives of any of those 3. No Strings should follow around maybe...hmm...TOP players? Nadal? Federer? Roddick? Djokovic? Even maybe retired pro's? Sampras/Agassi/Courier/McEnroe?

Admit it though, you find yourself watching their programming over and over again. I am much in the same boat as you, but I find myself watching the stuff again, and again. :)

califsurferboy33
04-07-2008, 10:22 AM
i agree, but granted, they did get rid of those quick fix tips! (with the guy decked out in the reebok gear and his really annoying daughter). but you are right, they have sooo much potential but they keep falling short.

jamauss
04-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Admit it though, you find yourself watching their programming over and over again. I am much in the same boat as you, but I find myself watching the stuff again, and again. :)
For the first few months that I had TTC, yeah, I'd watch it again. But after that, nope. If it's not actual tennis being shown, I pretty much change the channel. I'll start off by checking what's on TTC, but usually have to surf channels after that.

fantom
04-07-2008, 11:35 AM
i agree, but granted, they did get rid of those quick fix tips! (with the guy decked out in the reebok gear and his really annoying daughter). but you are right, they have sooo much potential but they keep falling short.

Here, check out my 3.0 daughter, Kalindy.

PROTENNIS63
04-07-2008, 12:10 PM

Kalindy has the ugliest tecnnique.

BlUe 182 BanAna
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Hahaha. nice picture

Ronaldo
04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Know you all crack on Kalindy and her Dad, BUT what about the 1/2 hr instruction videos shown early in the morning? Any worthwhile. That Sonic Serve video helped my serve.

vandre
04-08-2008, 01:08 PM

that's just great! finally someone i could outplay and its a 12 yr old girl!!!!!

i'm so depressed :cry:

ttc has been utterly miserable in the programming dept. as of late. i know they can't outbid espn and big networks like that, but gosh, i'd expect a channel called the tennis channel to actually show some tennis!!! it was nice to see some of the action from miami on replay, but there could have been alot more of it. i didn't hardly see any of miami this year!

if i have to watch another destination tennis i will cut the cable myself. i can't take any more murphy's guide either! as always i hate kalindy and her old man. the tennis shorts are annoying me as well! by far, my new most hated show is "crossover"/ crosscourt or whatever they call that !@#$@!#@#.

i really like the agassi piece but its almost to the point of oversaturation with me and i like the agassi no strings as well. the other episodes of no strings i couldn't care less about. do i want to watch max myrni go fishing?? aw heck no!!! do i care if hewitt makes it back from the outback? not really (dif't show but same feeling). i haven't seen the tatiana golovin episode since 07 despite the fact they advertised it just this morning. do i wanna watch the williams sisters jump rope? i'd rather poke out my eyes! the tennis shorts are getting old too.

normally i like bag check for a change of pace, but c'mon i think some of the ppl they have on there are club players (which means maybe i'll get my turn on bag check someday!!! hooray!!! and i know you are all dying to find out what's in my bag!!!!!!!!!:))

califsurferboy33
04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
yeah and y is the featured player on no strings always the same. juan carlos ferrero, chela, and moya have all been featured 1000000 times and for some reason they are always the featured player of the month lol

Moose Malloy
04-08-2008, 01:40 PM
FYI, TTC is showing the '89 DC match between Agassi & Becker tomorrow, which was called one of the best matches of alltime by Tennis magazine.

Ronaldo
04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
At least when TTC gets to the Masters Series weeks may show prior yrs finals. Best tape those full day coverage for dry spells, eh?

A.Davidson
04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Without reading any posts and going purely on the title:

Because Tennis Channel is stupid.