PDA

View Full Version : Head i.prestige 630 review

james_R
01-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Hello. Well, I went with the i.prestige purchase as it was a good price and based on feedback, (thanks for the help :-) ) and am glad I did. I will be getting another one and sticking with them for the next couple of years. I know I have demoed quite a few racquets but to be honest I dont really enjoy it and it has just taken me a while to find something I can settle with. I thought some of you may appreciate a little feedback?

(Frame of referance: Yonex RDX500MP)

Feel: I like the feel of the i.prestige, it is stiff enough for good power yet you can really feel the ball on the strings, making it much easier to judge a drop shot or topspin lob. The closed pattern gives it a very tight feel, great control and direct feedback. It does take a little getting used to compared to the much more flexi referance frame, but I never feel as if the ball is going to fly without it being my own fault!

Power: Like all players frames, power is entirely left up to the player, but when I want to dig deep and go for a shot it translates my efforts well. Some frames seem to give me less back than I put in. Adversely, I never wanted a frame that gave me all out power, but the i.prestige seems to give me exactly what I ask for, no less and no more. I find this good as it increases my confidence which helps me to play better.
I think the majority of it is down to the stiffness and the fact that it is less headlight than other, equally or even more stiff frames i've tried like the X1. Compared to the ref frame it certainly feels more solid, not as forgiving or comfortable maybe but less energy wastage. So I am quite willing to compromise a little for the advantage it gives me.

Volleys: Great great great! Fantastic punch and yet good control. When 'reacting' to fast exchanges I sometimes found the ball flying with the ref frame but not with the i.prestige, again, unless I really hit it terribly. The head does'nt seem pushed around at all, no matter the pace my opponent puts on his shots to try and pass me. I like this aspect as it again just increases my confidance to come in, knowing that I dont have to do much to get the ball back deep and controlled on approach shots.

Forehand: I have to brush up more than with the ref frame, but I am adapting more and more every time I play. The spin of course is a little less but not too hard to generate. I Feel confidant hitting crosscourt as I feel the extra weight in the head and stiffness, combined with the smallish head (more like a 93/95 than a 98 ) is a nice combo for punch and control. In fact I am enjoying hitting forehands much more than before, finding better consistancy, maybe because I am not having to work so hard? Or it could be that the string bed just seems a bit more consistant, the ref frame seems to have a very hot hot spot, where you can loose a little control and feel more like your playing with a tweener. Though I must stress I do think the ref frame is an excellent one, it just did'nt suit me.

Backhand: Quite similar to the ref frame, again good stability and weight of shot. Slightly harder to generate spin on my usual double hander. Experimenting with a single but cant comment yet as I have not had enough practise to be objective regarding this shot. Good depth and weight of shot on the double and very predictable response. I just need to make sure I hit with a little more spin than I am used to and it should be just fine. This is probably my most consistant shot so I would'nt have gone with the i.prestige if I thought I was going to loose out any here.

Serve: Nice, weighty, deep second serve, easy to generate angle. Quite reliable as it does'nt take too much to drive the ball deep with plenty of spin. I am still struggling to find my 1st serve, but I feel the powers there and it is really just getting used to the change in balance and string layout.

Other comments: Strings, as an ex-demo, it came with are pretty crude and old, so I am going to get it restrung with bow brand synthetic. I am going to go with about 56lbs, as I dont want to loose the control but nor the power! I think with these superior strings the whole experience with just feel that bit more refined and will probably give me just slightly more power. I'll see how it goes. But one thing is for SURE, it's great to finally settle and concentrate solely on improving my game.

p.s (Probably bored the sheep in the back field, sorry about that, they seem to be more interested in the grassmower race...)

ferrari_827
01-06-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm assuming you chose the IPrestige midplus ? The IPrestige is an excellent frame, and the midplus I'm sure is more comfortable and forgiving than the midsize, which is the model that I have (the IPrestige mid is my backup racket).

At this level, it's just a matter of which "feel" you prefer. For a while, I loved the performance of the IPrestige mid, but the stiffness/shock (at least compared to the RDXmid) was uncomfortable for me day in, day out.

Interestingly, you once said the RDXmid was too heavy for you but I think the IPrestige midplus is just as heavy ?

BLiND
01-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Have to agree the i.Prestige is an awsome frame... I probably would have stuck with it, if it didn't hurt my hand (because of the stiffness)

Tomek_Pl
01-06-2005, 10:56 AM
I know one person that had elbow problems with i.prestige.MP.
I played with Mid, but it was more flexible and you couldn't feel stiffness at this frame.

kv581
01-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Hmm I would think iPrestige mid would feel stiffer than MP since it has a denser string pattern.

kv581
01-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey James_R...

I know you just did an extensive review comparing i.Prestige MP to RDX500MP. Great review. I was wondering if you might comment on i.Prestige vs Slaz X1 and RDX500 mid. I think you've played them both right?

I too play i.Prestige MP and prefer it to LM Prestige MP. I've actually made my racquet a bit more HL by installing a heat sleeve (the default 4 1/2 was a bit smaller than other 4 1/2 grips that I am used to). In all, a great racquet!

Tomek_Pl
01-06-2005, 11:08 AM
so you string them at lower tensions...

kv581
01-06-2005, 11:09 AM
so you string them at lower tensions...

Yea... but you can string MP at lower tensions too :-p

Tomek_Pl
01-06-2005, 11:13 AM
and use some premium natural gut too!

Seriously i.prestige MP is great frame. Very stable one. But it's a little bit to heavy and stiff for me (I play as a coach too and had some wrist problems) and I know that it cause some problems...

ferrari_827
01-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Initially I had my IPrestige strung at 55lbs with Gosen Sheep micro and it was almost unplayable. One time I mishit a forehand and had this painful shock in my hand and arm. Restrung at 44lbs with E-matrix, the IPrestige mid feels much sweeter and forgiving.

djones
01-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Initially I had my IPrestige strung at 55lbs with Gosen Sheep micro and it was almost unplayable. One time I mishit a forehand and had this painful shock in my hand and arm. Restrung at 44lbs with E-matrix, the IPrestige mid feels much sweeter and forgiving.Strung at 44 pounds???
How can you play with a tension that low?
After two days it drops down to 38 pounds and that is almost as much as kilos sampras had strung his racquet with.
I have both my Head Prestige Classic mids strung at 24 kilos with Big Banger Alu Power, and it doesn't feel harsh or what so ever at all.

ferrari_827
01-06-2005, 11:50 AM
The Head Classic and LM Prestige are much more forgiving and flexible. Try the same tension with IPrestige mid and you'll be in for a nasty surprise.

OnyxZ28
01-06-2005, 01:02 PM
My i.Prestige Mid with a 16g kevlar/poly hybrid @ 55 played just fine.

james_R
01-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Hey James_R...

I know you just did an extensive review comparing i.Prestige MP to RDX500MP. Great review. I was wondering if you might comment on i.Prestige vs Slaz X1 and RDX500 mid. I think you've played them both right?

I too play i.Prestige MP and prefer it to LM Prestige MP. I've actually made my racquet a bit more HL by installing a heat sleeve (the default 4 1/2 was a bit smaller than other 4 1/2 grips that I am used to). In all, a great racquet!

I think the X1 is a very good frame, but that's from my perspective as a player who seems to have a magnet pulling me to attack the net at the first oppertunity...
I found it felt very smooth, and easy to swing. My problem with it really was that it was just too headlight and did'nt provide me with enough power to attack consistantly, unlike the i.prestige. Yet it was also stiff but I did'nt seem to get as much benefit from it to put up with it being a bit less comfortable than a more flexi frame.
The X1 is very good around the net and also offers superb spin for a rolled single handed backhand, which is partly why I started to experiment with this shot. However, it did feel generally against heavy hitters as though it was being pushed around slightly on return of serve and from the baseline forehand side.
When I played with my usual double handed backhand, obviously due to the extra hand the feeling of the head being pushed around was neutralized.
So if your a strong or advanced player it's very worthy of a demo.
It was differant with the RDX500MID, which is more flexible and very comfortable. If I bought my A Game to the court than this is probably the best all round racquet, giving me slightly more feel than the i.prestige and despite the 90sq-inch head it felt as if it had a good sweetspot. Also very solid, more so than the X1 on return of serve and from the back. However, again, I just did'nt feel I was getting quite enough power due to the balance.
And, although I have stated the sweetspot felt good, I am talking relative to the headsize, occasionally I just found it a little too demanding for my level when pushed to react very quickly.
I have taken note of the comments regarding the i.prestige causing some problems due to the stiffness, and will retain my RDX500MP in my cubboard rather than rush out and sell it. I have only been using the i.prestige for a few weeks so though I am sure it offers me the best performance, it may be that in the long run I to will have problems.
For now though I am certainly enjoying it's solid, controlled power. :-)